Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Via Air...who are they...CLT hub

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 pm

I was cruising the Northeast Florida Regional Airport home page, when I discovered this airline

V i a A i r

https://www.flyviaair.com/

route map:

https://flyviaair.com/routemap/

The fleet looks like EMB-120s and some ERJ-145s

They serve 2 Florida airports, so can't believe I hadn't heard of them

How long have they been around?

I don't know if there is a pic on this site of the 145s...there is one on UST home page.
Any future routes in the works?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

BobPatterson

Re: Via Air...who are they...CLT hub

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

flyguy84

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:28 pm

727LOVER wrote:
I was cruising the Northeast Florida Regional Airport home page, when I discovered this airline

V i a A i r

https://www.flyviaair.com/

route map:

https://flyviaair.com/routemap/

The fleet looks like EMB-120s and some ERJ-145s

They serve 2 Florida airports, so can't believe I hadn't heard of them

How long have they been around?

I don't know if there is a pic on this site of the 145s...there is one on UST home page.
Any future routes in the works?

You posted a link to their webpage where you can easily click on "About Us" to learn all you need to know....
SFO

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:34 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
You posted a link to their webpage where you can easily click on "About Us" to learn all you need to know....

True...true....I guess I'm asking why I hadn't noticed them before or when did they get the ERJ-145s?

I get what you mean

IDK...just had never heard of them before
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 pm

OK.....wikipedia is very helpful...THANK YOU

ahj2000

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 am

They have a hublet at gate A2 at CLT. They fly mostly to WV with a few weekly flights each to UST, MYR, and SFB. A few WV stations are also being connected to BWI. I had a friend who flew them to Beckley and said that the service was relatively normal for a regional but the FA was fantastic. They had an issue with their 120s and everything went 145 for a bit in '16. Not sure if that got fixed.
They still don't have any partnership with AA, which would be exceedingly beneficial to them for connections to the hundred something other dests CLT has.
-Andrés Juánez

bluefltspecial

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:22 am

ahj2000 wrote:
They have a hublet at gate A2 at CLT. They fly mostly to WV with a few weekly flights each to UST, MYR, and SFB. A few WV stations are also being connected to BWI. I had a friend who flew them to Beckley and said that the service was relatively normal for a regional but the FA was fantastic. They had an issue with their 120s and everything went 145 for a bit in '16. Not sure if that got fixed.
They still don't have any partnership with AA, which would be exceedingly beneficial to them for connections to the hundred something other dests CLT has.

I found it incredibly odd that they don't partner with AA as well. A E145 and E120 operation would be perfectly suited for the "E" gates. Operating with/under the AA brand doing at risk flying to different destinations would only serve to benefit both companies. Going up against a giant in their backyard is rather gutsy...
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

usflyguy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:21 am

There website looks a whole like WN's... Ad followed by booking engine followed by 3 panel ads followed by 2 square ads followed by the area to keep in touch and finished out with 4 columns of links within the site.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

usflyguy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:22 am

They're hiring crew members for Denver. Did they get an EAS contract in the Rockies?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

freakyrat

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:26 am

Them and Elite Airways have been flying some sports charters for the Notre Dame Hockey and Basketball teams.

thegoldenargosy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 am

A friend of mine did a day trip to Parkersburg, WV on Via in October. He and two of his friends were the only ones onboard the Brasilia. They have a pretty good snack basket. The FA was based in WV and also works on the ramp too. Via's FAs are salaried, which seems weird to me.

ahj2000

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

I found it incredibly odd that they don't partner with AA as well. A E145 and E120 operation would be perfectly suited for the "E" gates. Operating with/under the AA brand doing at risk flying to different destinations would only serve to benefit both companies. Going up against a giant in their backyard is rather gutsy...

They aren't competing (except perhaps on CLT-ORL), so I see no reason they couldn't keep the Via brand, but just a simple codeshare (like AS and PenAir) because AA doesn't see fit to serve these tiny WV stations.
-Andrés Juánez

USAirALB

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 pm

I flew them last month on CLT-SFB.

For some reason, I knew the flight was going to be delayed, and I was worried what would happed if the flight canceled.

The boarding pass told us to "report to the gate" at 12:30, even though we weren't scheduled to depart until 13:30 or so. We got to the gate at 12:30, and there was no one there except B6 agents finishing up closing a flight to BOS. Eventually a Via Air flight arrived from West Virginia, and it seemed like most who were deplaning were continuing onto SFB. The Via Air staff arrived, and the first thing that appeared odd to me, was no one was wearing uniforms. The gate agent had on pink rain-boots, leggings, and a sweatshirt. Not that it matters to me, but still it was weird. Was told there would be a 30 minute delay. 30 minutes turned into 45. 45 turned into 60. 60 turned into 90. Apparently our aircraft was enroute from Oklahoma, which was weird because they don't serve any destinations in OK, but whatever.

I will say that the atmosphere in the boarding area was terrible. I would say that the majority of people who were on the flight had either never flown before or were infrequent flyers. The gate agent went around the boarding area placing valet gate-check bags on larger carry on items, and was repeatedly yelled at for making people check a bag. No one understood that the ERJ's overhead bins were tiny.

Eventually the plane arrived. The gate agent herself personally took all the bags down to the aircraft. She then came up and took several packs of water and orange juice on the aircraft. There was no boarding call. A passenger decided that now would be a good time to board so everyone else just followed behind. The gate agent took our boarding pass (she never scanned it) and simply reminded us of our seat as she had to keep the pass with her. The gate they use at CLT isn't equipped with a jetway. Instead the gate door leads to a staircase that takes you to the ramp. It was cool walking across the ramp and seeing the AA hub operation up close.

Once aboard, it was a standard ERJ flight. The FA was extremely accommodating, but like the gate agent, she wasn't wearing a uniform. Just a standard black sweater with leggings and flats. She rarely got over the PA, instead relying on automated announcements for everything. The flight crew was chatty and friendly as well, and both the pilot and co-pilot were in their 20s. They turned the fasten seatbelt sign off, which I always appreciate on shorter flights. In-flight service consisted of water/OJ/tomato juice/Coke/Sprite/Diet Coke and a snack basket consisting of Chewy granola bars, pretzels, and cheese crackers.

I thought SFB was kind of a dump, but that isn't the fault of Via Air. For the price I paid ($99), I was pleased with the experience. The crew and ground staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs. The delay was unfortunate, but I had expected it.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

NoTime

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:58 pm

A few of us in the Ohio thread have tried to fly out of PKB, just to get back on the Brasilia again. It hasn't worked out.

You can read about it here and here.

As the others have said, they spend a lot of time working EAS routes out of WV, but have been slowly adding some "regular" routes, too. If you are looking for a white water rafting or scenery trip, heading into BKW is hard to beat. But they're definitely still trying to find their footing as an airline.

DeltaRules

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:41 pm

I was one of them who tried to go on one of their promotional $42.50 round trip fares out of PKB. It didn't work out (and, in retrospect, that's probably for the best because the weather the day we were to go was AWFUL), but I hope they can make it work. An interline with AA would be HUGE to connect the EAS destinations (and even SFB and UST) to the rest of the AA world on one ticket (and AA to West Virginia and the two Florida cities).

Their call center leaves much to be desired, though. I hope they get that improved.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

apfpilot

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 pm

The do some NCAA Charters including for Butler who was flying on them a few weeks ago and had a decompression:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/loca ... cy-landing
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

knope2001

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Regarding Via and American cooperating at Charlotte, there are several reasons a small and large airline may not “partner” even if it seems obvious and beneficial.

Both airlines have to want it
The small airline nearly always wants it, but the big airline is hard to convince. There’s liability for the big airline in cooperating with the little guy, and if he’s anything less than professional and reliable the headache is not worth it. Even a simple bag transfer agreement puts AA on the hook when your Parkersburg-Dallas bag doesn’t show up on the carousel at DFW. If the small airline bumps bags a lot for weight, or runs an unreliable operation, or has error-prone operations and ground handlers the last thing American wants to do is take any responsibility for the bag getting there.

The logistics and technology must be compatible
It’s on the small airline to have systems which can logistically partner with the big carrier. This is especially true in the current era when some smaller carriers don’t participate in GDS, several operate as “public charter” operations, etc. Anything which is lesser or nonstandard could be a barrier to basic cooperation.

Both airlines have to be willing to pay for it
Agreements cost money. For the big airline even something simple, standard and minimal requires legal review, policy and procedure authoring, possible updates to the contract of carriage, etc. That’s not free. For the small airline there may be new or upgraded technologies and participations needed for the big airline to consider playing ball. And the small airline may not be able to afford the added costs.

As someone with a great interest in small community air service, someone who wants EAS to succeed (even if it is a deeply-flawed program), and someone who believes there is a travel segment willing to pay the fares needed to support sub-50 seat flying, I would love for somebody like Via to be a highly-successful full-fledged AA* carrier at Charlotte. But from the perspective of the major airline there’s not too much to gain compared to the cost and liability. That’s especially true given the flakey reputation of many carriers in this segment.

I like to watch the EAS bids now and then and it never fails to amaze me how some bidders state confidently that they will enter into code sharing with the big carrier at the hub the propose to serve. It’s not exactly something I’d bet the farm on.

usflyer123

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:07 pm

What is their business plan? I mean CLT dosent generate much O&D traffic, especially when its flights to WV and they dont interline with AA or have a big hub at CLT so what is their business plan, serving WV and FL routes with one stop at CLT?
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

aviationjunky

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Just did a quick fake booking on their website. Some things I found interesting: no charge for bags; they allow unaccompanied minors; and seats are practically full on the leg I chose (there were only 3 sears available for a Sunday departure). I would warn you, when you go to pick your flight, they automatically pick the refundable ticket, that is about 50% more expensive than the standard fare.

I hope they succeed and venture to the west. I could really see them expanding into California as a regional airline to serve into smaller California airports like RDD, FAT, STS, PSP, etc., for passengers that need to pull just over night trips and not have a 3 hour layover 2 states over just to be there 8 hours. I see alot of potential for them moving West. I hope they do it.
Last edited by aviationjunky on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAS is Life

nws2002

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Their SFB route has always seemed strange to me. They are competing against F9 at CLT and G4 at USA. F9 offers MCO, which is generally better for the theme parks. G4 offers USA, which is a much easier airport to deal with compared with CLT. I guess if they are pulling in connecting traffic from WV it might make sense, but I wouldn't think much is CLT O&D.

USAirALB

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:07 pm

When I flew CLT-SFB, the vast majority of pax connected on from other Via Air flight. My party and maybe four or five other passengers seemed to be originating from CLT.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

ahj2000

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:06 pm

USAirALB wrote:
When I flew CLT-SFB, the vast majority of pax connected on from other Via Air flight. My party and maybe four or five other passengers seemed to be originating from CLT.

There isn't much incentive if you asked me. The fares out of CLT to MCO have been as low as 39$ow on Frontier, typically a bit higher but sales happen regularly, with AA matching on one and charging around 150-250rt on the others. I'd rather get the miles on AA or get closer to Disney/Universal at MCO.
-Andrés Juánez

sandyb123

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
What is their business plan? I mean CLT dosent generate much O&D traffic, especially when its flights to WV and they dont interline with AA or have a big hub at CLT so what is their business plan, serving WV and FL routes with one stop at CLT?

I'm not local so can't comment on the market opportunity but they seem to be a spin off of a charter business so I am guessing those a/c are still used for charters.

I guess the charter business is predictable enough / booked far enough in advance to facilitate scheduled airline work.

After all the cost base already exists (aircraft, pilots, systems, bases etc) so the only direct cost is fuel & maintence, marketing and probably some back-office = low risk.

They're almost just ACMI'ing from themselves.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

kevintarmac

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 pm

IMO if AA wanted these cities they have the fleet inhouse to serve those markets with a better cost. The Dashs run to HTS and would be the ideal bird for these routes. Growing up in a EAS market, I feel the communities would benefit from the Via AA partnership for connections.

USAirALB

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:22 am

ahj2000 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

There isn't much incentive if you asked me. The fares out of CLT to MCO have been as low as 39$ow on Frontier, typically a bit higher but sales happen regularly, with AA matching on one and charging around 150-250rt on the others. I'd rather get the miles on AA or get closer to Disney/Universal at MCO.

The only reason I flew them was because I booked the flight less than a week in advance and AA wanted at least $500 R/T for CLT-Florida. I flew ViaAir one way to SFB and AA back. I wouldn't fly them otherwise.

However, a lot of people (mostly the younger crowd) in CLT doesn't really have an allegiance towards AA. I know more people in CLT who exclusively fly DL via ATL than AA. So if the price is right, the flight will appeal to the O&D market.

rw717

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 am

Interesting article involving Via Air.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/c ... er-flights
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

DeltaRules

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 am

I think the company is based out of Maitland, which is in the Orlando area.

Also, SFB is a nice alternative if you're going to the Daytona area (ignoring DAB itself). Potentially half the cost, half distance, less headache than MCO can be.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

N353SK

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Via Air has cancelled almost all of their West Virginia flights for the past two days ... anybody know what's going on? Did they get their Brasilias grounded again?

nkops

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm

rw717 wrote:

Via Air ended up getting the Caesars contract but then was "fired" by Caesars because they were unable to acquire their 121 Cert from what I heard. Xtra Air took over the flights (at least out of ACY) and Ultimate Air Shuttle took the shorter routes
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

kcrwflyer

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

I believe AA flies to all of the regional spokes they wish to from CLT.

TWA302

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:05 pm

727LOVER wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

True...true....I guess I'm asking why I hadn't noticed them before or when did they get the ERJ-145s?

I get what you mean

IDK...just had never heard of them before

145s came from AX http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Via%20Airlines.htm

Strange that the 120s are not list but I am not positive that airfleets tracks them.

sandyb123

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 am

Strange that the 120s are not list but I am not positive that airfleets tracks them.

Air fleets list the 120 as a supported aircraft.

http://www.airfleets.net/recherche/supported-plane.htm

Do they operate under the parent / different AOC?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

peterj324

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

I would definitely like to try them out sometime because they are so cheap on their EAS routes to West Virginia but with their operational issues that I've heard about, I think I'll wait.

If the E-120's are operating without huge delays count me in. Best chance to get on one in the U.S. because the Great Lakes 120's in Denver are a total crapshoot.

b727fa

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

usflyguy wrote:
They're hiring crew members for Denver. Did they get an EAS contract in the Rockies?

They have an oil charter contact out of Denver.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

b727fa

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:30 pm

nkops wrote:
rw717 wrote:

Via Air ended up getting the Caesars contract but then was "fired" by Caesars because they were unable to acquire their 121 Cert from what I heard. Xtra Air took over the flights (at least out of ACY) and Ultimate Air Shuttle took the shorter routes

They have their 121 now.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:25 pm

appears they are doing the Branson gig this season with EMB145 service to DEN,HOU,AUS,MDW,DFW starting May 27th, mostly 3x weekly

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos