Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GripenFan

Re: AA To Remove Narrowbody IFE

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 pm

AA has a subfleet of ETOPS-equipped A321s used for west coast-Hawaii trips. If in-seat IFE is indeed removed from the majority of the narrowbody fleet, I would assume it would stay on these aircraft and the A321Ts.

As for streaming, I recently flew on an AA Mesa CRJ-900 and watched a movie on my iPad. I thought the picture and sound quality were great; absolutely no buffering for the duration of the flight.

PITflights

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Weird that they want you to use your device but are not installing power on the pmUS 321's - it's very hard to make sense of their decisions

USAirALB

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 am

[*][*]
PITflights wrote:
Weird that they want you to use your device but are not installing power on the pmUS 321's - it's very hard to make sense of their decisions

That hasn't been confirmed, has it?
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

coolian2

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Once pax is on in-flight wireless network, burden is on passenger to make it work, not on FAs.

No further comment.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

klakzky123

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 am

I guess no one here ever travels with kids? Are you carrying around 4 tablets? B6 and VX already proved how valuable a marketing tool in seat IFE is. This is a cost cutting move pure and simple. Everyone understands that you need to offer some level of content to your customers but how you offer it still matters. If you are a single traveler, this probably isn't a big deal. If you're running with a family, this is unfortunate. Granted AA never had that many domestic planes with in seat IFE but it will be interesting to see how this plays out in relation to Delta. This is in addition to DL having wifi on virtually every plane today (and you can stream IFE through that as well).

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 am

coolian2 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Once pax is on in-flight wireless network, burden is on passenger to make it work, not on FAs.

No further comment.

Wouldn't you be happy fixing your own tablet rather than requesting FA to reset multiple times only to know you are one of the lucky ones with broken IFE. Also with tight turnarounds and spares not being available at every line station, it won't be fixed until end of that day, when it reaches a mx base.

All these issues magically disappear.

OB1504 wrote:
"Some" single-aisle planes could also include the 66-strong 738A subfleet. I doubt it, but perhaps they could be intentionally scheduled on longer and/or international flights. International flights in particular are what concerns me about the BYOD approach since the Wi-Fi on narrowbodies generally only works while over the continental US.

1) WiFi Internet requires a satellite/cellular based DATA connection.
2) WiFi Streaming doesn't need any external connection. Consider it as a video file saved on to DVR/computer/tablet (In this case a Media Server). Ground crew load movies,TV shows, audio, games... during maintenance.
3) LiveTV uses satellite down link.

All three are independent, You can have #2 and #3 without #1.

WiFi streaming is very old technology, Thales Topseries i8000 was announced in 2005 and lot of planes already have this option, though wireless seat back monitors were more popular at that time.

viewtopic.php?t=355067
All posts are just opinions.

B737900ER

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:03 am

Wow. A lot of grumpy old men on this site. Who has technology? NOT ME!!

If you've ever used BYOD, and I'm guessing by the outrage few have, its hands down better than seatback IFE. It there when you want and gone when you don't, the selection is larger, and the interface is more intuitive. Given a choice between WN BYOD live tv and UA seatback live tv, WN wins by a mile. I've even used UA streaming IFE when there was a PTV available because the picture was clearer and the selection was larger

Come and join the 21st century and BYOD

gatibosgru

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:38 am

I totally understand the decision, but I'll go out of my way to get IFE/PTV when possible. I like having my phone to do stuff when I travel and usually don't feel like getting my computer or iPad out. Also makes it easy during meals to watch something since the entire tray is occupied.
@DadCelo

a320fan

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:48 am

BYOD is the future of short haul air travel. I've been saying it for years. The optimal device for this is a tablet, not a phone or laptop, phone is small and if in seat power is not available then has the possibility of draining when it may be needed later, laptop is bulky and also has power issues. Tablets on the other hand are not needed as often as a phone after the flight, and last for hours even when playing videos.

A great idea to make BYOD an even better experience is to have a tablet holder on the seatback. QF has this feature and it makes a huge difference not having to hold the tablet or have the tray folded down. It's super simple as well, all it is on the QF 737 is a strip of fabric.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

grbauc

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 am

klakzky123 wrote:
I guess no one here ever travels with kids? Are you carrying around 4 tablets? B6 and VX already proved how valuable a marketing tool in seat IFE is. This is a cost cutting move pure and simple. Everyone understands that you need to offer some level of content to your customers but how you offer it still matters. If you are a single traveler, this probably isn't a big deal. If you're running with a family, this is unfortunate. Granted AA never had that many domestic planes with in seat IFE but it will be interesting to see how this plays out in relation to Delta. This is in addition to DL having wifi on virtually every plane today (and you can stream IFE through that as well).

Exactly. This is a lost opportunity. And in the bigger picture show's they wan't to keep everything to a minimum and there reputation and Image they should be trying to build will be lacking. We are a addicted society to digital media that will not change.

airzona11

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 am

grbauc wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

Exactly. This is a lost opportunity. And in the bigger picture show's they wan't to keep everything to a minimum and there reputation and Image they should be trying to build will be lacking. We are a addicted society to digital media that will not change.

-Who is it a lost opportunity for? If the children passengers are flying with are that much of a burden, no chance they are going to choose to take a connection to get on a DL plane that might have a TV (or small chance of a VX/JBlue flight).
-VX proved it so much that their only option was to be acquired. What percent of the domestic does JetBlue cover. Both are rounding errors. What airline are you flying that has a TV in every seat?
-Southwest is the largest domestic carrier, that means carries more families than any airline, and they have no TVs.
-As others noted above. BYOD is no longer the future. It is the present. Even DL on planes with TVs has the BYOD content.

bpat777

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 am

grbauc wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

grbauc wrote:

Both good points. I frequently witness children argue and fight over one tablet or phone when I fly. However with each child having their own personal screen courtesy of the airline can make for a better flying experience for everyone on a plane or in an airport. Then there's the added factor of electronics getting lost.

I split my travel nearly equally between AA and DL, but this move will definitely continue to give DL the edge between the two. Eventually AA's lack of consistency with IFE and power could give them a negative image with frequent travelers and families.

JHwk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:34 am

We are UA 1k's, but fly AA domestic first several times per year. We fly them because of the IFE. Ditch that, and we don't really have a compelling reason to be on AA.

Today the BYOD wifi systems are horrible; they have poor quality video due to bandwidth/compression issues, and they drain device batteries quickly. I can live with it for an hour or two, but LAX-HNL or LAX-ORD it becomes a big sacrifice for me, and clearly not worth paying for first.

airtechy

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 am

AA is saying they will keep the seatback IFE on "routes that are competitive". That says a lot.

B737900ER

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am

JHwk wrote:

Today the BYOD wifi systems are horrible; they have poor quality video due to bandwidth/compression issues, and they drain device batteries quickly.

No they aren't. The first misconception is that they are related to the wifi. They aren't. They are on their own server with downloaded content. Everyone on the airplane can watch the same movie and it won't effect speed. Updates to the system in the last year or so have improved the system greatly. I'll concede the battery draining. But that's what ISP is for.

DL747400

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm

bpat777 wrote:
grbauc wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
I split my travel nearly equally between AA and DL, but this move will definitely continue to give DL the edge between the two.

.... And DL executives say, "Mission accomplished!" before moving on to the next product enhancements in order to maintain that advantage over the competition.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Cubsrule

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:26 pm

bpat777 wrote:
grbauc wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

grbauc wrote:

Both good points. I frequently witness children argue and fight over one tablet or phone when I fly. However with each child having their own personal screen courtesy of the airline can make for a better flying experience for everyone on a plane or in an airport. Then there's the added factor of electronics getting lost.

I split my travel nearly equally between AA and DL, but this move will definitely continue to give DL the edge between the two. Eventually AA's lack of consistency with IFE and power could give them a negative image with frequent travelers and families.

We fly exclusively WN with our kids (now 7 and 4, first flights at 4 months and 7 months, the older one probably has about 50 lifetime segments). We bring a single tablet and steam TV on maybe 20 percent of flights. IFE isn't that big a deal for us; having books, toys, snacks, etc. packed is far more important.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sergegva

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

B737900ER wrote:

If you've ever used BYOD, and I'm guessing by the outrage few have, its hands down better than seatback IFE. It there when you want and gone when you don't, the selection is larger, and the interface is more intuitive. Given a choice between WN BYOD live tv and UA seatback live tv, WN wins by a mile. I've even used UA streaming IFE when there was a PTV available because the picture was clearer and the selection was larger

Who is the old man?
Young people visiting other countries NEVER bring a laptop or a tablet with them. It's way too fragile for a real travel. Only businessmen man or "All-Inclusive-Chaise Longue-Pool-Cocktails"'s holiday makers eventually do it.

freakyrat

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:10 pm

FA's will have to make the safety announcements now.

Aptivaboy

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Not a big deal to me. I'm old school - I bring a book to read on flights.

Actually, the thing that would interest me is if they disabled the seat recline function. In economy, ANY kind of economy seating, when the person in front of you puts his seat back you can't use the technology that you brought onboard with you. That happened to me on Hawaiian back from Maui earlier this month. The joker (he was one of those total rude guys, to me, the FAs, to everyone) reclined his seat and had my laptop been out to watch movies and such, damage could have resulted. So...

I say go ahead and eliminate the IFE, but if you do so then also eliminate seat recline functions so that the flyers have the space to use their personal electronics. On shorter flights of say, five hours or less, that shouldn't be an issue.

Bob

Ziyulu

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:14 pm

They should not have the screens for the economy basic seats!

AA747123

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:17 pm

A very poor choice IMHO. AA continues to race to the bottom. We all new following the hostile take over of AA by US that AA would follow US into the trenches and become the worst airline in the world!

Osiris

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:13 pm

BestWestern wrote:

On the new iPhones you can't listen and charge at the same time.

Haha, what a terrible product.

ckfred

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:09 pm

AABB777 wrote:
Sadly another step backwards for AA. I completely understand the rationale stated by AA for their decision regarding IFE. However, from a premium travelers perspective, it's another decision that devalues the product and overall travel experience across all cabins. Slowly but surely the inevitable is happening: AA is becoming the airline we hope it would not. I am one of AA's biggest fans, and travel often on revenue F tickets, but am now seeing the slow transformation. I secretly now wish DL was a better option for me and my travel needs.

Any sort of travel service includes decisions about spending, whether it's IFE for airlines, upgraded interiors for rental cars, or the size of TV screens in hotels.

If you read the Airways magazine article, UA does not have seatback screens in the 739 fleet for the same reason.

A couple of years ago, I flew ORD-LHR-ORD on a BA 773 each way. Despite the fact that every seatback had a screen, I was surprised at the number of people who were watching content on laptops, tablets, and phones, probably 30% or 40%.

The issue will be for people who don't take devices with them while traveling, and for the few people who are still using their flip phones, because they still work. As I said in an earlier post, if a person has one or more employer-provided devices, they may be prohibited from streaming video on the device, as that might be deemed personal use.

On the other hand, I remember several years ago, when Don Rickles made an appearance on The Tonight Show. He talked about his wife giving him a tablet for his birthday. He wasn't sure what to do with it, until he had to fly LAX-JFK. He downloaded a couple of movies at home, before leaving for LAX. Then, after watching the movies, he connected to the aircraft Wi-Fi and pulled up a live feed of a Dodgers game. At the time, Rickles was probably in his mid 80s.

If people of all ages are using devices, rather than seatback entertainment, then the airline has to decide of the expense of buying and installing systems, maintaining systems, and flying the weight of systems is worth it.

toobz

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 pm

B737900ER wrote:

21st century on board AS AA and UA :lol: Not DL. They have made a commitment to invest in their product. Can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about that.

csturdiv

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:28 pm

AA747123 wrote:
A very poor choice IMHO. AA continues to race to the bottom. We all new following the hostile take over of AA by US that AA would follow US into the trenches and become the worst airline in the world!

Not sure why you think that. I used the BYOD steaming IFE service on Virgin Australia recently and had no issues at all. And on a recent Air New Zealand flight, it would've been nice if that was available as the audio jack in the seat was not working properly and the audio was either way to low or if I adjusted it once, it sounded like I was listening to it under water.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

TVNWZ

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 pm

The future is going to wireless personal devices. Watching on tablets and laptops is skyrocketing at homes for everyday viewing, even it people have televisions. AA is actually more cutting edge. Seat back TV's will become just like Blockbuster stores.
I take my grandson to lots of places. iPad and Candy Crush keeps him occupied for hours.

OB1504

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 pm

USAirALB wrote:
[*][*]
PITflights wrote:

That hasn't been confirmed, has it?

I don't believe it has. It was my understanding that the LUS A321 fleet was/is to receive power outlets when reconfigured to match the seating configuration of the LAA A321S, but the reconfigurations have been delayed due to limited slack in the fleet.

Aptivaboy wrote:
Actually, the thing that would interest me is if they disabled the seat recline function. In economy, ANY kind of economy seating, when the person in front of you puts his seat back you can't use the technology that you brought onboard with you. That happened to me on Hawaiian back from Maui earlier this month. The joker (he was one of those total rude guys, to me, the FAs, to everyone) reclined his seat and had my laptop been out to watch movies and such, damage could have resulted. So...

I say go ahead and eliminate the IFE, but if you do so then also eliminate seat recline functions so that the flyers have the space to use their personal electronics. On shorter flights of say, five hours or less, that shouldn't be an issue.

You might enjoy flying Frontier or Spirit.

Ziyulu wrote:
They should not have the screens for the economy basic seats!

There are no designated basic economy seats. They're all in the same cabin.

winginit

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Osiris wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

You absolutely can. What a terribly inaccurate statement.

ozark1

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Being a flight attendant, this is very disappointing but not surprising. No matter what anyone says, having an IFE system in each seatback is a pro-customer feature when it includes the 3D map of the trip, movies, etc. And I am telling you from years of experience, if there is a ground delay, those things are lifesavers. They entertain and keep everyone from getting angrier, faster. It is simply a courtesy to the customer, and it looks very sharp, modern and sophisticated. Granted there are problems with a couple of them on every flight, but I will take those problems over not having them at all any day. There will be more room for that one carry on article under the seat with the removal of the IFE box, but it's just another AA step backwards where customer service is involved. A true tragedy in a once proud, highly regarded company.

uberflieger

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:18 pm

ozark1 wrote:
No matter what anyone says, having an IFE system in each seatback is a pro-customer feature when it includes the 3D map of the trip, movies, etc.

3D map, movies and all the IFE contents available today isn't going away. :confused:

I very much prefer more legroom and with the announced Wi-Fi upgrade hopefully service throughout Caribbean & Central America, currently not offered by GOGO. Anybody know if they'll switch provider?

GSPFlyer

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:14 am

Can't say it's surprising news, since almost everyone has a wifi enabled device these days. The need for faster wifi may decrease as Netflix adds more titles to be viewable offline.

The only thing I will miss about IFE is the ability to view airspeed, a map of your location, your altitude, etc. for free (maybe the airline lets you access it for free on wifi? I can't remember). On my recent flight from SLC-DTW on DL, that's what I left the IFE screen on the entire trip. I just downloaded some episodes of my favorite shows on my iPad before the trip, so I didn't even have/want to use wifi.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:15 am

winginit wrote:
Osiris wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

Not without buying Apple iPhone Lightning Dock or Apple AirPods or third party accessory.

grbauc

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 am

ozark1 wrote:
Being a flight attendant, this is very disappointing but not surprising. No matter what anyone says, having an IFE system in each seatback is a pro-customer feature when it includes the 3D map of the trip, movies, etc. And I am telling you from years of experience, if there is a ground delay, those things are lifesavers. They entertain and keep everyone from getting angrier, faster. It is simply a courtesy to the customer, and it looks very sharp, modern and sophisticated. Granted there are problems with a couple of them on every flight, but I will take those problems over not having them at all any day. There will be more room for that one carry on article under the seat with the removal of the IFE box, but it's just another AA step backwards where customer service is involved. A true tragedy in a once proud, highly regarded company.

This absolutely speaks volumes of truth. And for the record many I believe think it should be a two pronged situation were you have streaming and inflight screens. I can't tell you the times ive sat on the tarmac waiting for a gate watching my movie at LAX. It's another item that could of helped combat frustration in a industry that is known for not always being able to deliver well in the irop's and customer happiness due to the nature of the airline industry with delays, airport gate constraints, poor security TSA process etc. Even if its 50/50 I believe it will be higher for those that like having both options. Its a lost opportunity and another non pro consumer move. They went the cheap safe way.

B737900ER

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 am

sergegva wrote:
B737900ER wrote:

Who is the old man?
Young people visiting other countries NEVER bring a laptop or a tablet with them. It's way too fragile for a real travel. Only businessmen man or "All-Inclusive-Chaise Longue-Pool-Cocktails"'s holiday makers eventually do it.

You're joking right? Young people never bring a laptop or tablet when traveling??
Way to fragile???
I'm under 35 and I don't know a single person in my peer group or younger who doesn't travel with a laptop, tablet, or some kind of wifi enabled device. What world are you living in?

The length people go to make their point on this site is comical sometimes.

B737900ER

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 am

toobz wrote:

21st century on board AS AA and UA :lol: Not DL. They have made a commitment to invest in their product. Can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about that.

The product has evolved, and its evolved into something better. Soon seatback IFE will go the way of airphones, overhead monitors, and inflight duty free. DLs "commitment" isn't going to last long. There isn't a need for full scale entertainment systems on domestic aircraft. Everyone is realizing it and adjusting to new technologies

coolian2

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 am

B737900ER wrote:
sergegva wrote:
B737900ER wrote:

Who is the old man?

You're joking right? Young people never bring a laptop or tablet when traveling??
Way to fragile???
I'm under 35 and I don't know a single person in my peer group or younger who doesn't travel with a laptop, tablet, or some kind of wifi enabled device. What world are you living in?

I'm 28 and more than once the only reason I've taken more than my phone is because the person I'm meeting needs files on it (and I'm usually too slack to transfer the files to my phone or email them, usually due to working on them until the last second).

Before you say I should use my phone, LOL. Get off.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

sergegva

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:28 am

B737900ER wrote:
sergegva wrote:
B737900ER wrote:

Who is the old man?

Way to fragile???

Then it should be a cultural difference between USA and Europe.

LupineChemist

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 am

I'm perfectly happy with tablet streaming, but one thing I wish were more common is a slot to be able to hang the ipad so you can look at it at eye level.

As mentioned, getting in seat power is also critical, even if it's only USB.

michman

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 am

B737900ER wrote:
JHwk wrote:

Today the BYOD wifi systems are horrible; they have poor quality video due to bandwidth/compression issues, and they drain device batteries quickly.

No they aren't. The first misconception is that they are related to the wifi. They aren't. They are on their own server with downloaded content. Everyone on the airplane can watch the same movie and it won't effect speed. Updates to the system in the last year or so have improved the system greatly. I'll concede the battery draining. But that's what ISP is for.

They are certainly related to the WIFI, they are just not dependent on the Internet connectivity to the ground for bandwidth (due to the onboard server). The WIFI bandwidth and channels on the aircraft are generally sufficient to handle a decent number of passengers streaming content (although almost certainly not all at the same time). There is some additional battery usage when utilizing the WIFI connection vs. viewing local content on the device itself, but it's not going to make that big of a difference.

winginit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
winginit wrote:
Osiris wrote:

Not without buying Apple iPhone Lightning Dock or Apple AirPods or third party accessory.

Again - wrong. Heard of bluetooth headphones?

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 pm

michman wrote:
The WIFI bandwidth and channels on the aircraft are generally sufficient to handle a decent number of passengers streaming content (although almost certainly not all at the same time).

Already happening on wide bodies. Thales i8000/AVANT, Panasonic systems both operate on wireless network, very popular with new planes and retrofits likewise.

Cylindrical metal tube make wireless coverage easy with access points.

winginit wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
winginit wrote:

Is it in the box? There are millions of accessories you could use, doesn't change the reality you cannot charge and listen same time.

toobz

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:27 pm

B737900ER wrote:
toobz wrote:

The product has evolved, and its evolved into something better. Soon seatback IFE will go the way of airphones, overhead monitors, and inflight duty free. DLs "commitment" isn't going to last long. There isn't a need for full scale entertainment systems on domestic aircraft. Everyone is realizing it and adjusting to new technologies

Im not sure what evidence you have that DL's commitment isn't going to last long. Future deliveries will include IFE, so......not sure about your statement.

winginit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:36 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
michman wrote:
The WIFI bandwidth and channels on the aircraft are generally sufficient to handle a decent number of passengers streaming content (although almost certainly not all at the same time).

Already happening on wide bodies. Thales i8000/AVANT, Panasonic systems both operate on wireless network, very popular with new planes and retrofits likewise.

Cylindrical metal tube make wireless coverage easy with access points.

winginit wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Is it in the box? There are millions of accessories you could use, doesn't change the reality you cannot charge and listen same time.

What isn't getting across here? You can pair bluetooth headphones and listen to music while charging your phone simultaneously. Easily, with no additional accessories.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 pm

winginit wrote:
What isn't getting across here? You can pair bluetooth headphones and listen to music while charging your phone simultaneously. Easily, with no additional accessories.

Where are my BT headphones?

ADent

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 pm

winginit wrote:

I thought RF transmitters were banned on flights - even if you can use your phone during takoff.

winginit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:23 pm

ADent wrote:
winginit wrote:

I thought RF transmitters were banned on flights - even if you can use your phone during takoff.

Bluetooth banned on flights? If so, it's the most widely ignored regulation in aviation.

ADent

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Looks like Bluetooth is OK. The FAA press release mentions "You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, like wireless keyboards."

MaksFly

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:12 am

I actually prefer the Delta seatback monitors given the choice, especially the new ones, and that leaves my ipad or Laptop to get some work done on. That is also why I travel on delta.

S75752

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 pm

BYOD entertainment works as long as power is provided for devices and the Wifi is actually working. Ideally there would be 110V ports at each seat, but the trend amongst DL and UA narrowbody typically is having it in only Y+ (and F, obviously). There are exceptions to that, in the case of 737s or 320's that do happen to have it at all seats on those carriers, but those are in the minority, even with retrofits of aircraft such as the UA 320 series, only adding power in Y+. Of course, one can also get by simply with USB power for tablets and smartphones, which while less than idea at least provides enough of a charge for it to last through the flight while doing the rather battery heavy WiFi stream and video decompression.

That is, when the WiFi works. When it doesn't work at all, often times the streaming is gone with it. I'd say that has been the case on about 25% of my overall flights where there was supposed to be BYOD.

It is at least better than the awful DirecTV that UA has on the 737's and some 757's (or were those retired yet?), which it seems like very few people actually buy anyways, and obviously strips BYOD from the WiFi.

That said, I don't understand why go out of their way to remove the In-seat IFE when they already have it there. Why not leave it as a convenience for passengers that don't want to have to encumber with the tray table and device on it, forced to bend their neck uncomfortably to look downward there rather than the straight ahead of the seatback dispay? Ideally, have both if seatback's already there, which UA has done for their Intl aircraft that have been retrofitted.

Hopefully AA at least ADDS streaming + Power ports to their 767's and 757's. Having it without power works for maybe upwards of 3 hour flights, but beyond that, you will need power, so if they're going this route, they will definitely need power to go with it fro Intl and Transcon craft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos