Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VSBR90
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic Liveries?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:58 pm

I was just wondering Why Virgin hasn't Updated their Liverys on the 747's. There is 4 that has the old Livery.
G-VGAL
G-VLIP
G-VROS
G-VROY
Those all have the old Livery. Personally I prefer the New Livery better. I was just wondering if anyone knew. I know its Probably Money. But they have had the new Livery since 2010 it's 7 years old now. Their whole Fleet Should have it. I'm flying on Virgin on March 9th from MCO-MAN and I just hope I'm on one with the new Livery.

QB737

Re: Virgin Atlantic Liverys?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Early signs of fleet retirement?
Ben YVR

Zachbt

Re: Virgin Atlantic Liverys?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:46 pm

I would second retirement, no point painting something for just two - three years

TheGeordielad

Re: Virgin Atlantic Liveries?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Can't wait for the A350s replacing these it will be strange not seeing a Virgin Atlantic B747

aviationjunky

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm

So the A359 is replacing the 747? That will be interesting to see instead of the Queen...
LAS is Life

Boeing74741R

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:06 pm

VSBR90 wrote:
I was just wondering Why Virgin hasn't Updated their Liverys on the 747's. There is 4 that has the old Livery.
G-VGAL
G-VLIP
G-VROS
G-VROY
Those all have the old Livery. Personally I prefer the New Livery better. I was just wondering if anyone knew. I know its Probably Money. But they have had the new Livery since 2010 it's 7 years old now. Their whole Fleet Should have it. I'm flying on Virgin on March 9th from MCO-MAN and I just hope I'm on one with the new Livery.

The most likely explanation is because they probably aren't due a repaint. VS aren't really the sort of airline that stops aircraft for a lick of paint every time a new livery comes out as it costs money, plus the 747 fleet isn't huge these days. Bear in mind there are A340's in the old colours too.

The livery won't make a difference to your flying experience as VS refitted their leisure fleet a few years ago, so interior-wise they are all identical across all 3 cabins: same seats, same config and same IFE. The only exception is G-VBIG which I hear doesn't have a bar in Upper as that used to be located in what is the downstairs PE cabin in 'leisure' config when it was based at LHR, but it wasn't relocated to the front Upper cabin when reconfigured to the 'leisure' config.

Given that the A350's are on their way, I suspect these planes won't see the current version of the livery unless they fall due before they can be taken off lease.

Either way, just enjoy the flight and appreciate the fact you're flying on a 747 in 2017.

aviationjunky wrote:
So the A359 is replacing the 747? That will be interesting to see instead of the Queen...

VS have ordered the A350-1000 to replace the 747s.

jfkflyer

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:25 pm

only VGAS of the 346 fleet has the new livery. VRED and one other has an interim livery
INSTAGRAM : @KJFKSPOTTER

VSBR90
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
VSBR90 wrote:
G-VGAL
G-VLIP
G-VROS
G-VROY

The most likely explanation is because they probably aren't due a repaint. VS aren't really the sort of airline that stops aircraft for a lick of paint every time a new livery comes out as it costs money, plus the 747 fleet isn't huge these days. Bear in mind there are A340's in the old colours too.

The livery won't make a difference to your flying experience as VS refitted their leisure fleet a few years ago, so interior-wise they are all identical across all 3 cabins: same seats, same config and same IFE. The only exception is G-VBIG which I hear doesn't have a bar in Upper as that used to be located in what is the downstairs PE cabin in 'leisure' config when it was based at LHR, but it wasn't relocated to the front Upper cabin when reconfigured to the 'leisure' config.

Given that the A350's are on their way, I suspect these planes won't see the current version of the livery unless they fall due before they can be taken off lease.

Either way, just enjoy the flight and appreciate the fact you're flying on a 747 in 2017.

aviationjunky wrote:

VS have ordered the A350-1000 to replace the 747s.

O I appreciate it for sure!!! It's my first flight on a 747. So I'm really looking forward to it. Next I just need to get on a 787-9. I just hate seeing the 747 being retired soon. I know they aren't useful like they use to be.

smi0006

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 am

I wish VA had adopted the VS livery, their current one is so boring! But I do get a fully red tail is too close to QF. However Whilst franchises with little relation I would have thought a closer aircraft, seat, branding would have brought much needed scale - especially when VX was free.

azz767

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 am

There's also technically a difference within the new livery as there's different shades of red on different a/c if I remember correctly the A330's were painted in the wrong shade, the first few at least and have a darker tail than other a/c in the VS fleet

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos