Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Homadreaming86
Topic Author

AC and others in talks to enter Iran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Its fun to watch Tehran-IKA and the rest of Iranian Airports grow post sanctions who could've thought just a couple years ago? Interestingly IKA is claiming to be in talks with AC to start direct service from Montreal to Tehran? I am unsure how solid this information is and I am sure some one can shed further light on this. I specifically found the choice of cities interesting, as one would assume Toronto would be the obvious choice? It would be exciting to see AC link NA and Iran once again and I am sure AC will easily fill those seats.

The article also mentions unnamed Airlines from South Korea, Singapore and Australia are in negotiations with IKA to start service to Tehran. Korean and Singapore are way over due in Tehran but I am curious to know which Australian airline is in talks w IKA... The article also mention LOT and Cobalt airways are both starting service to IKA as well. Seems like the ME3 and Turkish will find Some major competition on their hands.

http://www.aviationiran.com/2017/01/23/ ... -4-others/

behramjee

Re: AC and others in talks to enter Iran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:36 pm

P2P market demand between IKA and YYZ was 98,000 passengers in 2016. It was the largest travel market segment between North America and Iran surprisingly; even being higher than LAX-IKA. I dont believe the talk of YUL-IKA nonstop as the market warrants YYZ plus the latter is better suited to feed the key U.S. metro markets versus YUL.

YYZ-IKA nonstop is 12 hours approximately and is an ideal B787 route operated 3-4 times per week.

cedarjet

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I don't know about an Aussie airline to IKA but Mahan (W5) want to tag SYD onto their existing IKA-BKK flights. Would be great!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

thekorean

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Unnamed airline from South Korea.

Toughie.

lesfalls

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm

cedarjet wrote:
I don't know about an Aussie airline to IKA but Mahan (W5) want to tag SYD onto their existing IKA-BKK flights. Would be great!

Would that mean 5th freedom on the BKK-SYD sector?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

IrishAyes

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Would be so neat! Toronto to Tehran!

My extended family is Persian and I have always wanted to visit Iran. It is high on my bucket list.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:15 pm

thekorean wrote:

Toughie.

Lol, unnamed airline from Singapore, no clue who that's gonna be :lol:

usflyer123

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm

lesfalls wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

I wonder who the hell would fly Mahan between BKK-SYD solely :lol:
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

lesfalls

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:27 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

Maybe the person that is asking :). It would be a great oppertunity as I wouldn't have to fly Iran to fly them(as U.S citizens are barred from entering Iran unfortounately).

mariner

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:32 pm

usflyer123 wrote:

If the price is right, quite a few Australians, I'd guess. I'd give it a go.

One of the most memorable flights of my life was on Iraqi Airways, Bangkok to Baghdad, in about 1976. "Memorable" doesn't necessarily mean good, just that there was a lot about it to remember. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

whywhyzee

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:07 pm

The mention of YUL could be a bit of a misquote. AC has their head offices in Montreal, and in a lot of publications, they lead with "Montreal based carrier Air Canada..." That may explain things. One thing is for certain, the lifting of the sanctions, although great all around, is allowing airlines to really undercut the hometown airlines like Iranair and Mahan. If YYZ for example last year had a demand for over 280 pax a day to/from Tehran, undoubtedly the local carriers must certainly want a piece of that pie. Now we find ourselves at a point where there is this considerable untapped market, AC is equipped and ready, where as Iranair et all must wait. IIRC, they still don't have a firm order (Boeing deal is still subject to approval as far as I have read, and nothing has been firmed at Airbus). I suppose natural growth combined with other carriers stimulating more travel between cities may help things along, but it certainly doesn't advantage Iran based carriers.

DFW789ER

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
Would be so neat! Toronto to Tehran!

My extended family is Persian and I have always wanted to visit Iran. It is high on my bucket list.

It would make sense. AC will fly to Tehran long before (if ever) a U.S. based airline does.

opticalilyushin

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Lesfalls, US citizens are not barred from entering Iran :) there are just a few restrictions for visiting

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:54 pm

thekorean wrote:

Toughie.

Still two actual options though... despite the high likelihood of it being one over the other.

Singapore, on the other hand.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

b6sea

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:06 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
Lesfalls, US citizens are not barred from entering Iran :) there are just a few restrictions for visiting

Yeah, I know plenty of people who go to Iran. It's far easier than even Cuba is, and that's not really hard to swing anymore if I'm not mistaken.

NichCage

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:20 pm

It's nice to see Iran has been getting so much foreign airlines, such as British Airways, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa (to MUC), Air Astana, Thai Airways, etc. Looking forward to see what other airlines announce flights to Iran.

Homadreaming86
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:25 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
The mention of YUL could be a bit of a misquote. AC has their head offices in Montreal, and in a lot of publications, they lead with "Montreal based carrier Air Canada..." That may explain things. One thing is for certain, the lifting of the sanctions, although great all around, is allowing airlines to really undercut the hometown airlines like Iranair and Mahan. If YYZ for example last year had a demand for over 280 pax a day to/from Tehran, undoubtedly the local carriers must certainly want a piece of that pie. Now we find ourselves at a point where there is this considerable untapped market, AC is equipped and ready, where as Iranair et all must wait. IIRC, they still don't have a firm order (Boeing deal is still subject to approval as far as I have read, and nothing has been firmed at Airbus). I suppose natural growth combined with other carriers stimulating more travel between cities may help things along, but it certainly doesn't advantage Iran based carriers.

Thank you for that clarification! I wonder if it was lost in translation. I had the same thoughts about the long term impact on the Iranian carriers but lets not forget Iran is SEVERELY underserved on both Domestic and International markets. Iranian carriers will continue to be well positioned to take the lions share. Iran is not just Tehran, with over a dozen major population areas there is a lot of room for growth. Within the next decade its fair to assume Cities like Shiraz and Isfahan will have their own links to many major and secondary markets around the world. The potential growth into secondary markets especially in Europe, Asia and China is going to be huge. Eventually we will see multiple domestic carriers competing for different segments of the Iranian market. But right now the Iranians want to make sure they are rebuilding lost links as aggressively as possible and IR and Mahan are years away from being able to cover anywhere near as what current demand there is. So I think it should all work itself out at the end.

Homadreaming86
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Toughie.

Lol, unnamed airline from Singapore, no clue who that's gonna be :lol:

lol the suspense will kill me! As I mentioned earlier KE and SQ are way past due in Iran. Should've happened two decades ago.

fry530

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 am

usflyer123 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

If there was a good fare, I would totally do it. That would be one hell of a bucket list flight, at least if you're American like me.
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN Y4

anshabhi

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:39 am

Air India Express on Delhi-Tehran from March-April.

dc10lover

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 am

I don't think this is a good idea. This will be worse for tourism than Cuba.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

lesfalls

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 am

opticalilyushin wrote:

wait really?! What restrictions do you speak of :mrgreen: ?

bunumuring

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 am

Hey guys,
I would fly from Sydney to Bangkok on Mahan Air! Please may it be on an A340-600, a type sadly missing from my logged collection of airliners flown in.
I have doubts however to the airline starting services any time soon.
I have read reports that Iran Air did have Australia on its radar and I reckon it could be a successful route for them. I would like to tour Iran someday.
As to which Australian airline is negotiating, I doubt it's Virgin Australia. Jetstar? Hmmm, probably not. Tigerair? Not a chance. So that leaves the armless roo! Maybe Sydney-Tehran will be announced one day as a left-of-the-centre Dreamliner route like Perth-London nonstop!
I think that there may be a loooong term chance of it working!
But I think it's more likely that a certain Mr Joyce might want to negotiate rights to any potential route now to safeguard them for the future, rather than start services immediately.
Cheers
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

opticalilyushin

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 am

Anyone travelling to Iran on a US, Canadian or British passport needs to arrange a sort of tour guide to be with you, but I'm told it's easy to arrange. Forget what you see on the news, Iran is one of the friendliest places you could ever visit, and provided you don't land with an Israeli passport you'll be warmly welcomed by the locals.

SMillar

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:48 am

According to 2 sources, Iranair's first North American destination will be YVR. This comes from IRA HQ. It's a forgone conclusion that AC will launch IKA once the Canada-Iran bilateral comes to fruition.

cedarjet

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 pm

lesfalls wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Maybe the person that is asking :). It would be a great oppertunity as I wouldn't have to fly Iran to fly them(as U.S citizens are barred from entering Iran unfortounately).

Are you kidding? I've been to Iran ten times and always had Americans in my group. Americans are totally welcome in Iran.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

usflyer123

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:29 pm

cedarjet wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

Are you kidding? I've been to Iran ten times and always had Americans in my group. Americans are totally welcome in Iran.

They dont, maybe they had dual citizenship or something, and Im not even sure Americans can enter Iran with dual citizenship.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

lesfalls

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

They dont, maybe they had dual citizenship or something, and Im not even sure Americans can enter Iran with dual citizenship.

From what I heard is that they don't like it if you have dual citizenship. There was a forum about americans going to Iran a while back where I got this info from.

Homadreaming86
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:24 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

My grandmother and Mom are both dual American-Iranians and frequently travel to Iran (so does many of my other relatives). Also I know of many Americans who go to Iran and those numbers are increasing. You can easily familiarize yourself with the Iranian Visa requirements for
Americans it is online, it's fairly simple and for a couple bucks a travel agency will gladly do the process for you.

Americans can also enter Iran without a Visa if they visit 'free trade zones' the most notable is Kish Island. From there you can typically apply for a visa to visit the rest of the country and that is issued instantly or within 24 hours. Iran is not North Korea and as long as you are not trying to perform missionary work, are extremely political or break local laws you will be left alone.

In fact being a Dual citizen can be more challenging and all the high profile cases of Americans being held in Iran were related to dual nationals whom the state considered a threat, think journalists and political activists. Iran (just like the US) does not technically recognize dual citizenship, they don't penalize you for being a dual national you just will be treated as an Iranian citizen automatically. Hope this clarifies a couple things for you.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... /iran.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos