Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCHATC422
Topic Author

Spirit announces Hartford, CT (BDL)

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Nice to see a new airline here in Hartford after EI started back in September to DUB.

4x weekly seasonal to MYR starts 4/27 along with MCO. FLL starts 6/15.

Official announcement from Connecticut governor Dannel Malloy:
http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Gove ... al-Airport

Good add for BDL and can't wait to catch these yellow bananas flying in and out of BDL!

enilria

Re: Spirit announces Hartford, CT (BDL)

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Interesting in that it is basically a medium-size AirTran city. We are definitely not seeing more CAK type markets with this move and the earlier new routes. MYR is a surprising choice as a destination, but it may work well if the MYR people buy ads.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:48 pm

enilria wrote:
MYR is a surprising choice as a destination, but it may work well if the MYR people buy ads.

The other thing working for this route is the large population of New Englanders who live in the Myrtle Beach area that are currently using LGA to get down here. I think it'll work, especially at such a low frequency.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

pandanko677

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 pm

Wow...lot of supply on BDL-MCO. I believe Delta also starts this route in April, Saturdays only though.

VS4ever

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Nice to see BDL getting some love here. i've only run the numbers through July for BDL-MCO, but on a rolling 12 month (Aug 15 to July 16), loads were running in the high 80's, low 90's and that includes quieter months, so definitely based on that and unless it fell off a cliff in the back part of the year definitely scope for more capacity on the route for sure. flights were flat on FLL and up 1% on MCO during that period, number of seats up by 2% on FLL and 3% on MCO and pax up by 3.7% on FLL and 3.9% on MCO, so slightly outpacing the capacity increase. MCO is running about 500K pax a year and FLL 260K.

So if folks are heading to LGA, this will give them another option and with the type of pax that NK is looking for, this might be a good fit, will be interesting to see if this stimulates the market further or just grabs share from the others.
On a scale of low hanging fruit to pie in the sky, i'd put this around about an orange or a lemon.. :)
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

spinkid

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm surprised it took Spirit this long to come to BDL. Spirit is pretty good at adjusting routes seasonally, so I wouldn't worry about the demand being there. New Englanders want to go to Florida pretty much year round, around school holidays in winter you could probably fly 747's up and down the coast and fill them up.

MYR is a popular vacation spot as well. Allegiant even flies from SWF.

uconn99

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 am

I am wrong remembering BDL having MYR service in the past? I seem to remember but cant recall the airline. Possibly Delta Saturday only service?

CairnterriAIR

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Delta flew to MYR quite a few years ago, CRJ-100's. I think that goes back to the late 90's. I'm sure with the new low fare service, Spirit will do well on this route. Lots of transplanted New Englanders, a popular vacation spot, and quite a few golfers....the airline will make a killing hauling clubs!!! As for BDL to Florida.....pretty much a no-brainer. Hugely popular routes that could probably still make money even if an Eastern Shuttle style operation were run!!!!

bdlflyer

Spirit Airlines To Begin Hartford; Interest from other ULCCs?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Overview:
Spirit Airlines will start nonstop flights between Bradley International Airport and Florida this spring, giving the airport its first ultra low cost air carrier. Daily flights to Orlando will begin April 27, with a daily flight to Fort Lauderdale added on June 15. In addition, Spirit will offer four flights a week to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Question:
1. With the recent addition of Spirit at Hartford Bradley International Airport, could other ULCCs such as Allegiant and Frontier possibly bring service to Hartford? (Yes/No with evidence to support or refute)
2. How will Spirit's entrance into Hartford Bradley International Airport affect Jetblue and Southwest?
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

usflyer123

Re: Spirit Airlines To Begin Flights From Bradley International Airport (BDL) April 27

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:35 pm

1. I think it can, Frontier might also add MCO but not in the near time since the market is pretty served. Not sure about Allegiant though, Maybe they can add something out of the box like MSY or AUS but I dont think they would fight head to head with other LCCs on those routes.
2. Maybe they would add some frequencies to show dominance but overall it shouldnt really change much.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

stlgph

Re: Spirit Airlines To Begin Hartford; Interest from other ULCCs?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Interesting. Congrats to Bradley. That terminal is going to get quite crowded quite soon.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

bdlflyer

Re: Spirit Airlines To Begin Flights From Bradley International Airport (BDL) April 27

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
1. I think it can, Frontier might also add MCO but not in the near time since the market is pretty served. Not sure about Allegiant though, Maybe they can add something out of the box like MSY or AUS but I dont think they would fight head to head with other LCCs on those routes.
2. Maybe they would add some frequencies to show dominance but overall it shouldnt really change much.

Thank you for responding. I was considering Frontier possibly on BDL-BNA or BDL-PDX and maybe seasonal BDL-MBJ through Apple Vacations? For Allegiant, like you I was looking at BDL-MSY.
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

bdlflyer

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 pm

stlgph wrote:
Interesting. Congrats to Bradley. That terminal is going to get quite crowded quite soon.

Yes! Exciting times for Bradley and I agree!

catiii

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:00 pm

bdlflyer wrote:
Question:
1. With the recent addition of Spirit at Hartford Bradley International Airport, could other ULCCs such as Allegiant and Frontier possibly bring service to Hartford? (Yes/No with evidence to support or refute)
2. How will Spirit's entrance into Hartford Bradley International Airport affect Jetblue and Southwest?

You're asking people on this board to speculate on what other carriers will do in BDL, but then demand "evidence to support or refute?" Uh, ok...

bdlflyer

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 pm

catiii wrote:
bdlflyer wrote:
Question:

You're asking people on this board to speculate on what other carriers will do in BDL, but then demand "evidence to support or refute?" Uh, ok...

Thank you for your response.

uconn99

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Looks like Comair did weekend service in 2000, I dont believe it lasted long however.

http://articles.courant.com/2000-02-09/ ... hts-comair

jco613

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:02 am

I'll just stick with Southwest.

Never forget the one time I was on MCO-FLL on NK and delayed by over 2 hours...because of their dispatch system! could've driven quicker!

commavia

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:11 am

uconn99 wrote:
Looks like Comair did weekend service in 2000, I dont believe it lasted long however.

Indeed. Comair had quite the impressive weekend operation at MYR, with Saturday/Sunday-only CRJ flights to BOS, ORD, CMH, BDL, LGA, MCO, YYZ and DCA.

tomaheath

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:50 am

jco613 wrote:

Never forget the one time I was on MCO-FLL on NK and delayed by over 2 hours...because of their dispatch system! could've driven quicker!

I would to. How will Southwest and JetBlue react to this ?

jco613

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 am

tomaheath wrote:
jco613 wrote:

I would to. How will Southwest and JetBlue react to this ?

they won't...as we said, totally different clientele

uconn99

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:08 am

I dont mind seeing Spirit enter the BDL market but I would rather not see Allegiant any time soon. I dont believe BDL is a market Allegiant is interested in either.

CairnterriAIR

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:13 am

Should not affect Southwest or Jetblue at all. Like someone said above, different clientele and token service from Spirit considering the size of the other two carriers are at BDL. The airport is indeed becoming more busy....badly needed lift for a station that has always had crowded flights. I've heard horror stories about Spirit, but after priming myself on their website I'm willing to give them a try as I have family in Florida. As to where they will take up space in the terminal, I would assume in the west concourse with OneJet, American, and United. I think there is a vacant gate there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos