User avatar
SteveXC500
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

DL A320 IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 am

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the A320 has for IFE capability. I understand nothing on board but is it being your own device? Or is there literally nothing?
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title slightly updated
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 am

All wifi-equipped aircraft have streaming ice, including the 320. Some are suppose to be getting PTVs soon.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 am

I flew N365NW A320-212 from SLC to CVG on 01-19-2017. The interior was quite nice and I believe it was likely one of the A320 aircraft that Delta has recently updated. As far as the seatback IFE system it appeared to be an older type with a non-movable screen, no USB or audio jack available on or near the screen (armrest audio jack). On a rerturn flight to PDX I flew N593NW from ATL to PDX. While not an A320 the IFE system on board that 757-300 was clearly more updated and modern, with features not found on the A320 IFE I previously used.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 am

Delta.com implies neither A320 configuration – 32K nor 32R – has seatback entertainment. 319 configuration 319 doesn't, while 31J does.

It looks like all A319 and A320 aircraft have streaming video.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90
 
wilgage1232
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:48 am

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:24 am

This site, provided by delta enthusiasts, lists nearly every aircraft in the delta fleet and their regional subsidiaries. It also shows which aircraft are retrofitted with the new cabins, including PTVs, wifi, and power outlets. This site is also available for American and United.
Delta: https://sites.google.com/site/deltaairlinesfleet/
American: https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/
United: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfle ... t-tracking
 
michman
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:51 am

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 pm

The A320's have Delta Studio content streamed over Wifi. Wifi access is free when using it to stream Delta Studio content and all content is now free for all classes of service. The A319/A320's are currently getting significant cabin upgrades with the A319's getting seatback entertainment, while the A320's are not. The site linked above has not been updated since 6/4, so the list of upgraded aircraft is very much out of date. There is a far more current list that is maintained right here on a'net.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1351511

As of a week ago, 45/57 A319's have been upgraded and 47/62 of A320's have been upgraded.

Additionally, the aircraft have been getting their Wifi systems upgraded to 2Ku satellite based system (from the current ground-based units). This is independent of the cabin upgrades. The list above notes which aircraft have gotten the 2Ku upgrades. The 2Ku systems are capable of streaming Live TV to personal devices over Wifi. The seatback systems in the A319's will not have Live TV available, you will need to use your personal device to view it.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:26 pm

The list of supported browsers and devices/op systems is very specific - Android phones are not among them.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... .html#list
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:02 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
I flew N365NW A320-212 from SLC to CVG on 01-19-2017. The interior was quite nice and I believe it was likely one of the A320 aircraft that Delta has recently updated. As far as the seatback IFE system it appeared to be an older type with a non-movable screen, no USB or audio jack available on or near the screen (armrest audio jack). On a rerturn flight to PDX I flew N593NW from ATL to PDX. While not an A320 the IFE system on board that 757-300 was clearly more updated and modern, with features not found on the A320 IFE I previously used.


You couldn't have possibly been on a 320 with IFE as there is only one Delta 320 with IFE and it has yet to fly in revenue service. The 31Js has a very modern IFE as well. So not sure what type of aircraft you rode. My bet would be a 73H (the original 73Hs with the classic IFE and not the converted 738s which have an identical IFE system to the new 757s I believe). However it appears only the historically only the 32K/320 have served that route.
 
global1
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:13 pm

I believe that the A320 refurb did not initially include IFE, although the A319 did. If I recall correctly, that decision was reversed and it was decided that the A320 would indeed also be fitted with IFE. First the cabins would be done, then AVOD would be installed as phase 2. That would leave only 3 types without seat back screens, the MD88 (can not support it and type to be phased out), the 717 (used primarily for short sectors) and the MD90 (I'm hoping that will be looked at again).

A350/A330/A319/A320/757/737-800 and 900/C-Series will all have seat back screens. All aircraft (including Delta Connection, except 50 seaters-a dwindling fleet) will have new generation 2Ku wi-f with free access to Delta Studio.

If I am mistaken regarding the A320, would someone please update this information.

Maybe we can buy the units AA are taking out and save some $$.(just kidding!)

Keep climbing
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
The list of supported browsers and devices/op systems is very specific - Android phones are not among them.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... .html#list


I'm confused. When I go to the Delta link provided, they list Android. They list it as "tablets," so is this what you meant by Android phones excluded?
So it appears we need to download the Gogo app prior to any streaming in flight.
 
michman
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:51 am

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:03 pm

I believe the list is out of date and I have used my Android phone recently. Also, it will allow you to download the Gogo player app while on the flight. There was a blog post that this was a way to get free Internet for about 10 minutes as apparently Gogo opens up the entire Internet when you tell it you want to download the app.
 
n515cr
Posts: 1635
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:49 am

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

global1 wrote:
I believe that the A320 refurb did not initially include IFE, although the A319 did. If I recall correctly, that decision was reversed and it was decided that the A320 would indeed also be fitted with IFE. First the cabins would be done, then AVOD would be installed as phase 2. That would leave only 3 types without seat back screens, the MD88 (can not support it and type to be phased out), the 717 (used primarily for short sectors) and the MD90 (I'm hoping that will be looked at again).


You're correct that the first phase of the 320s did not get screens (they got/are getting everything else).
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 pm

n515cr wrote:
global1 wrote:
I believe that the A320 refurb did not initially include IFE, although the A319 did. If I recall correctly, that decision was reversed and it was decided that the A320 would indeed also be fitted with IFE. First the cabins would be done, then AVOD would be installed as phase 2. That would leave only 3 types without seat back screens, the MD88 (can not support it and type to be phased out), the 717 (used primarily for short sectors) and the MD90 (I'm hoping that will be looked at again).


You're correct that the first phase of the 320s did not get screens (they got/are getting everything else).


It's kind of confusing but the first one that got the screens (yet to fly a commercial scheduled flight) had never gotten an updated interior. It got an updated interior and the screens at the same time. There are a few more that will do both at once, the rest will have to go back to be modded.
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:17 am

LawAndOrder wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
I flew N365NW A320-212 from SLC to CVG on 01-19-2017. The interior was quite nice and I believe it was likely one of the A320 aircraft that Delta has recently updated. As far as the seatback IFE system it appeared to be an older type with a non-movable screen, no USB or audio jack available on or near the screen (armrest audio jack). On a rerturn flight to PDX I flew N593NW from ATL to PDX. While not an A320 the IFE system on board that 757-300 was clearly more updated and modern, with features not found on the A320 IFE I previously used.


You couldn't have possibly been on a 320 with IFE as there is only one Delta 320 with IFE and it has yet to fly in revenue service. The 31Js has a very modern IFE as well. So not sure what type of aircraft you rode. My bet would be a 73H (the original 73Hs with the classic IFE and not the converted 738s which have an identical IFE system to the new 757s I believe). However it appears only the historically only the 32K/320 have served that route.



Well I was. And having worked in the airline industry for some time and a pilot myself I'm quite astute and aware of the type of aircraft I'm on. So perhaps you can do some research and you'll discover as I did that ship N365NW does indeed incorpoprate a seatback IFE.
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:29 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
I flew N365NW A320-212 from SLC to CVG on 01-19-2017. The interior was quite nice and I believe it was likely one of the A320 aircraft that Delta has recently updated. As far as the seatback IFE system it appeared to be an older type with a non-movable screen, no USB or audio jack available on or near the screen (armrest audio jack). On a rerturn flight to PDX I flew N593NW from ATL to PDX. While not an A320 the IFE system on board that 757-300 was clearly more updated and modern, with features not found on the A320 IFE I previously used.


You couldn't have possibly been on a 320 with IFE as there is only one Delta 320 with IFE and it has yet to fly in revenue service. The 31Js has a very modern IFE as well. So not sure what type of aircraft you rode. My bet would be a 73H (the original 73Hs with the classic IFE and not the converted 738s which have an identical IFE system to the new 757s I believe). However it appears only the historically only the 32K/320 have served that route.



Well I was. And having worked in the airline industry for some time and a pilot myself I'm quite astute and aware of the type of aircraft I'm on. So perhaps you can do some research and you'll discover as I did that ship N365NW does indeed incorpoprate a seatback IFE.


Not to be argumentative but I promise there is only one 320 and it hasn't flown yet with IFE. I don't doubt you know your aircraft but knowing Delta's fleet very well (that aircraft came from NW and NW did not have IFE). The only 320 with tv's will be called 32M.
 
LawAndOrder
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:32 am

only aircraft with old IFE is 73H, 767 domestic (the couple that are left) and 75H
 
slcpdxatl
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:55 am

I agree with LawAndOrder, you couldn't have been on an A320 with IFE. There aren't any in service. They have never had IFE since the merger. They will soon, but they don't now.
 
michman
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:51 am

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 am

slcpdxatl wrote:
I agree with LawAndOrder, you couldn't have been on an A320 with IFE. There aren't any in service. They have never had IFE since the merger. They will soon, but they don't now.


Sorry to be pedantic, but technically they have IFE (Delta Studio), just not seatback IFE.

As far as N365NW, that was a phase 1 conversion completed in Feb 28, 2016 with no seatback IFE. Agree with other posters that this could not have possibly been the aircraft that OP was on. If it had gone through the phase 2 mods, it would have a new system with USB charger and headphone jack in screen.

.
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 pm

michman wrote:
slcpdxatl wrote:
I agree with LawAndOrder, you couldn't have been on an A320 with IFE. There aren't any in service. They have never had IFE since the merger. They will soon, but they don't now.


Sorry to be pedantic, but technically they have IFE (Delta Studio), just not seatback IFE.

As far as N365NW, that was a phase 1 conversion completed in Feb 28, 2016 with no seatback IFE. Agree with other posters that this could not have possibly been the aircraft that OP was on. If it had gone through the phase 2 mods, it would have a new system with USB charger and headphone jack in screen.

.


This is bordering on the absurd. I was indeed on N365NW on Thursday January 19, 2017, Delta flight 1791 SLC-CVG. As I pointed out the aircraft had a newer, modified interior and the seatbacks had an IFE screen...albeit an older IFE that I had not previously seen on any Delta flight/aircraft.

I've not had my own personal observations challenged to this extent since I was in law enforcement and being deposed/cross examined by a slick defense attorney in a court of law.

Perhaps I'm just completely clueless and on January 19, 2017 I was actually on the latest Delta commemorative plane...The "Hasbro Romper Room" A320 with Texas Instruments Speak & Spell games attached to each seatback & two person "Twister" available in the lavatories.

I'm out..... :banghead:
 
gonnagetbumpy
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:13 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
michman wrote:
slcpdxatl wrote:
I agree with LawAndOrder, you couldn't have been on an A320 with IFE. There aren't any in service. They have never had IFE since the merger. They will soon, but they don't now.


Sorry to be pedantic, but technically they have IFE (Delta Studio), just not seatback IFE.

As far as N365NW, that was a phase 1 conversion completed in Feb 28, 2016 with no seatback IFE. Agree with other posters that this could not have possibly been the aircraft that OP was on. If it had gone through the phase 2 mods, it would have a new system with USB charger and headphone jack in screen.

.


This is bordering on the absurd. I was indeed on N365NW on Thursday January 19, 2017, Delta flight 1791 SLC-CVG. As I pointed out the aircraft had a newer, modified interior and the seatbacks had an IFE screen...albeit an older IFE that I had not previously seen on any Delta flight/aircraft.

I've not had my own personal observations challenged to this extent since I was in law enforcement and being deposed/cross examined by a slick defense attorney in a court of law.

Perhaps I'm just completely clueless and on January 19, 2017 I was actually on the latest Delta commemorative plane...The "Hasbro Romper Room" A320 with Texas Instruments Speak & Spell games attached to each seatback & two person "Twister" available in the lavatories.

I'm out..... :banghead:


You were not on an a320 with seatback televisions; they do not yet exist in commercial service for Delta.
 
einkleinerknabe
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:51 am

Re: DL A320 IFE question

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
michman wrote:
slcpdxatl wrote:
I agree with LawAndOrder, you couldn't have been on an A320 with IFE. There aren't any in service. They have never had IFE since the merger. They will soon, but they don't now.


Sorry to be pedantic, but technically they have IFE (Delta Studio), just not seatback IFE.

As far as N365NW, that was a phase 1 conversion completed in Feb 28, 2016 with no seatback IFE. Agree with other posters that this could not have possibly been the aircraft that OP was on. If it had gone through the phase 2 mods, it would have a new system with USB charger and headphone jack in screen.

.


This is bordering on the absurd. I was indeed on N365NW on Thursday January 19, 2017, Delta flight 1791 SLC-CVG. As I pointed out the aircraft had a newer, modified interior and the seatbacks had an IFE screen...albeit an older IFE that I had not previously seen on any Delta flight/aircraft.

I've not had my own personal observations challenged to this extent since I was in law enforcement and being deposed/cross examined by a slick defense attorney in a court of law.

Perhaps I'm just completely clueless and on January 19, 2017 I was actually on the latest Delta commemorative plane...The "Hasbro Romper Room" A320 with Texas Instruments Speak & Spell games attached to each seatback & two person "Twister" available in the lavatories.

I'm out..... :banghead:


To paraphrase Grouch Marx, whom to believe... this forum or your lying eyes?
 
tjerome
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: DL IFE question

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:03 am

wilgage1232 wrote:
This site, provided by delta enthusiasts, lists nearly every aircraft in the delta fleet and their regional subsidiaries. It also shows which aircraft are retrofitted with the new cabins, including PTVs, wifi, and power outlets. This site is also available for American and United.
Delta: https://sites.google.com/site/deltaairlinesfleet/
American: https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/
United: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfle ... t-tracking


That list is very outdated. Almost all of the 319s are done.

michman wrote:
I believe the list is out of date and I have used my Android phone recently. Also, it will allow you to download the Gogo player app while on the flight. There was a blog post that this was a way to get free Internet for about 10 minutes as apparently Gogo opens up the entire Internet when you tell it you want to download the app.


I can attest to that, downloaded the app to my iPad and got free wifi for a short period of time, I'd say less than 10 minutes though.

LawAndOrder wrote:
only aircraft with old IFE is 73H, 767 domestic (the couple that are left) and 75H


There are some 75Ds that got the old seats and IFE screens, 691 (N900PC) is one and presumably all of the following: 658-660, 665, 667-676, 678-684

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos