ZeeZoo
Topic Author

3 questions about the Concorde in the UK

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:37 pm

A) Why isn't the Concorde at LHR placed nearer to an area where you can actually get up close and personal with the jet? It's a distance away from viewing.

B) Why isn't one of the Concordes at least placed somewhere visible, i.e. the London Eye idea was great. Having an iconic jet placed right in the middle of London where it can be celebrated as opposed to being tucked away at LHR...it's tragic.

C) Why are some of the BA Concordes positioned in the BA maintenance hangars at LHR occasionally? Few months back I saw G-BOAB in the maintenance hangar which brought back memories.

Thanks!

rutankrd

Re: 3 questions about the Concorde in the UK

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:06 pm

There is only one G.BOAB remaining at Heathrow its never had the tank armour fitted and has been striped inside.They take inside to clean it from time to time

Central London would be an hopeless place for one if any were available now

Want to see one go to Manchester G-BOAC is there

The other Uk airline service frame is at East Fortune

Two are in the states and one is in Barbados

Another is at Fulton

Whilst development frames can be seen at Yeovilton and Duxford

Remaing French Frames are in Germany Paris and Toulouse. The French tragically lost one and have scrapped one or two

moo

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 pm

rutankrd wrote:

Another is at Fulton

I think you mean Filton, in Bristol :)

Also one at Brooklands, G-BBDG.

ZeeZoo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 pm

rutankrd wrote:
There is only one G.BOAB remaining at Heathrow its never had the tank armour fitted and has been striped inside.They take inside to clean it from time to time

Sorry, don't know why I wrote plural. Ahh, thanks for that!

rutankrd

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 pm

moo forgive me for the spelling error sent from iPhone on train and couldn't remember where BBDG ended up .

Brooklands has a tidy selection of classic British airliners doesn't it

VC10 Viscount Vanguard Herald as well

Armodeen

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm

If you want to see one up close then the one at MAN is ideal. It lives in a hangar at the visitor park and hosts conferences, parties etc. You can do tours on certain days.

shankly

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

rutankrd wrote:
moo forgive me for the spelling error sent from iPhone on train and couldn't remember where BBDG ended up .

Brooklands has a tidy selection of classic British airliners doesn't it

VC10 Viscount Vanguard Herald as well

No Herald, although there are examples at Duxford and Reading Aviation Museum

Brooklands does have BAC 1-11 G-AYSD and a Viking

Proper "hands on" museum is Brooklands, with cockpit visits positively encouraged by the fantastic volunteers
L1011 - P F M

citationjet

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Someone mentioned the Concorde on display in Barbados. I just visited the Concorde museum at the Bridgetown Airport yesterday.
/http://www.barbadosconcorde.com
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

rg787

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm

I heard the original LHR T5 project had the Concorde inside of it, but something went wrong.

vhtje

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:35 pm

citationjet wrote:
Someone mentioned the Concorde on display in Barbados. I just visited the Concorde museum at the Bridgetown Airport yesterday.

Was the museum as empty as it was when I was there in 2009? When we were there, there was only one other couple. He was clearly an aviation nut who was practically drooling with excitement (as were we). She looked like she'd much, much rather be having her toenails pulled out with a pair of pliers. Still, she took it well and indulged her partner. (I assume he paid a price for her indulgence later...)

It was wonderful to be able to spend as much time as we liked drinking in and savouring the aircraft. But I do hope the Barbados Concorde museum gets sufficient visitors to make the the museum viable.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

ish2dachoppa

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:42 pm

It does. I was there this past summer.

baje427

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:46 pm

The museum is also used to host numerous events for example, during Crop Over (Barbados carnival) the museum often host fetes (parties) in addition the venue has been used for expos and fashion shows so they are other revenue streams.

vhtje wrote:
citationjet wrote:

Was the museum as empty as it was when I was there in 2009? When we were there, there was only one other couple. He was clearly an aviation nut who was practically drooling with excitement (as were we). She looked like she'd much, much rather be having her toenails pulled out with a pair of pliers. Still, she took it well and indulged her partner. (I assume he paid a price for her indulgence later...)

It was wonderful to be able to spend as much time as we liked drinking in and savouring the aircraft. But I do hope the Barbados Concorde museum gets sufficient visitors to make the the museum viable.

vv701

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:05 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
Why are some of the BA Concordes positioned in the BA maintenance hangars at LHR occasionally? Few months back I saw G-BOAB in the maintenance hangar which brought back memories.

For minor maintenance. For example back in the second half of October 2015 the LHR Concorde, G-BOAB, was given a thorough external wash and was then towed into BA's paint shop to dry out. At the same time piles of magazines used as ballast were removed from the aircraft and replaced with proper ballast.

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 am

rutankrd wrote:

Central London would be an hopeless place for one if any were available now

Want to see one go to Manchester G-BOAC is there

The other Uk airline service frame is at East Fortune

Two are in the states and one is in Barbados

Another is at Fulton

Remaing French Frames are in Germany Paris and Toulouse. The French tragically lost one and have scrapped one or two

You're forgetting the two British ships in the USA as well. The Intrepid museum in New York City, and the Boeing museum in Seattle.

Air France also has one in Washington.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

UAL777UK

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 am

It saddens me that Alpha Bravo is not on display somewhere at LHR as opposed to in the BA maintenance area. Sad, very sad!

rutankrd

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:26 am

UAL777UK wrote:
It saddens me that Alpha Bravo is not on display somewhere at LHR as opposed to in the BA maintenance area. Sad, very sad!

Why is it sad its British Airways property they can do what they like with it.

They all remain on BA inventory and it's not like they haven't placed any on public display elsewhere.

G-BOAB remained at Heathrow because it had already been withdrawn was never upgraded whilst internally it became something of a parts donor.
Its probably the poorest condition of any of the seven BA birds.

Further regrettable the security at and around Heathrow these days doesn't really provide many/any suitable locations for viable public display.

LAX772LR

I most certainly did mention that two were in states . Just reread the quoted section again.

The flagship G-BOAC is very much on public display with a controlled environmental tent in heart of the country.

theginge

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:55 am

Its also seems partly because Heathrow Airport own most of the land and they wouldn't use a bit of their tarmac to display a static aircraft

TC957

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I still think BOAB should be put in the big roundabout leading up to T5. Plenty of room for her there.
Either that or put her out of her misery and peacefully scrap her.

TravelsUK

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I have been fortunate to have visited both BA Concorde aircraft in the USA (Seattle & New York) over the last year but sadly both are looking very forlorn and unloved. Very disappointing.

I love the Barbados Concorde Experience, really well done and a good space to really appreciate the aircraft, enthusiastic and informative staff, I have spent a few hours there each time I am on the island (3 visits so far!) but they need to 'wake up' to the tourist potential of this fine museum as it is closed to the public 2 days a week, Sundays and Mondays!
757 flights 1 378 350 km 34.4x around earth 2024 h 18 min 74.3 days 12.0 weeks

UAL777UK

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:45 pm

"Why is it sad its British Airways property they can do what they like with it.

They all remain on BA inventory and it's not like they haven't placed any on public display elsewhere."

Who said anything about it not being BAs property and that they could not do what they want with her??

They may be on display elsewhere but its not on display at LHR, BAs main hub where she flew out of. That IMHO is sad but I am sure I will het over it lol. Given the chance I am sure BA would get her out of the maintenance area and put her somewhere else. Where though.....god knows!

JannEejit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm

rg787 wrote:
I heard the original LHR T5 project had the Concorde inside of it, but something went wrong.
I think there was a miscalculation in terms of the additional weight G-BOAB would add to the structure in engineering terms ? I'm sure a BA manager told me that a few years ago.

As for the long term, you have to wonder how long BA will keep her on the premises ? They did after all serve notice on Trident 3 G-AWZK, forcing her removal to MAN or face scrapping. Surely mounting her on a pole or plinth with some sort of anti-corrosion coating, somewhere within the LHR campus isn't beyond the realms of fantasy ?

Cunard

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:01 pm

The original plan when Terminal 5 was being built was that G-BOAB was to be placed on the large roundabout at the entrance to the terminal approach road but didn't obviously happen due to the costs involved in moving her so remains at LHR albeit not any permanent position as she has moved around sporadically.

The roundabout in which it was originally going to be placed on will disappear under the expansion plans including an extension to Terminal 5 so no chance of her good there so inevitably we're probably see her scrapped at some point but at least here in the U.K. we have several as museum pieces.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

TedToToe

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Meanwhile, down at Filton, things are finally set to improve!

http://www.aerospacebristol.org/

vv701

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:23 pm

TC957 wrote:
I still think BOAB should be put in the big roundabout leading up to T5. Plenty of room for her there.
Either that or put her out of her misery and peacefully scrap her.

The original plan post the 'inside T5' plan was said to be to display it on the roundabout at the entrance to the tunnel to the LHR central area. That was where a large scale model of Concorde had been positioned for many year. However the bean counters at EK apparently had more beans available than their opposite numbers at BA. So we got the large scale model of an EK 380 instead.

JannEejit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 pm

I'd love to see BOAB preserved somewhere and ideally re-sprayed into her original or with large 'British' motif livery. Perhaps in time for British Airways 100th anniversary in 2019 ?

rutankrd

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Not that old chestnut again British passenger aviation might be something around ninety years old but British Airways certainly isn't being formed at the beginning of the 1970s after a ministerial state indict to simplify the state airlines under a common brand and that process took about three years to morph
Even then the sub divisions were to continue for several more years
Right up to now there are differing contracts that could be said to be loosely based on the BEA BOAC and BKS practise

tonystan

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm

It's such as shame that no one from HAA or BA thought of placing her at the currently disused and derelict corner of the Westbase Engineering facility immediately adjacent to the Hatton Cross roundabout where the BA Uniform stores building is (opposite the Barclays Bank).

The perimeter fence could easily and cheaply be pushed back a bit and the aircraft made accessible to visitors. Not the most glamorous of locations but it would have a constant stream of visitors considering it's not far from the "spotters" park for 27L and could also provide great views into the large apron at westbase which is always full of BA frames. A plane geeks wet dream!

Iv no doubt BA could charge handomsly for this and sure they're not shy of milking the public these days. Lol
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

JannEejit

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:28 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Not that old chestnut again British passenger aviation might be something around ninety years old but British Airways certainly isn't being formed at the beginning of the 1970s after a ministerial state indict to simplify the state airlines under a common brand and that process took about three years to morph
Even then the sub divisions were to continue for several more years
Right up to now there are differing contracts that could be said to be loosely based on the BEA BOAC and BKS practise

BA missed or pretty much ignored it's chance to mark the 40th anniversary of it April 1st 1974 anniversary in 2014, the next significant anniversary is the 100th anniversary of the original AT&T service from Hounslow Heath to Paris on 27th August 2019, (the short lived company that led to Imperial then, BOAC etc) that's widely regarded as the original forerunner to British Airways, and discussed in various text books covering BA history. In fact British Airways commissioned a 60th anniversary painting depicting that flight in 1979 which still hangs in Harmondsworth HQ today.

Certainly in 2013 when I was working with BA on an internal project there was talk of doing something significant in 2019 not 2014. After that you may as well aim for the 50th anniversary of Edwards Committee 'British Airways' in 2024. Whether or not G-BOAB will still be around at LHR to participate in that though is anyone's guess. A line up of former and currently operational BA types in past and present liveries would be my preference. Certainly the Concorde in it's original service livery permanently displayed 'a la Sinsheim' somewhere prominent within Heathrow would be fitting. One or two active aircraft in original Negus, Landor and BEA/BOAC colours would complement this over an anniversary celebration period. Lets say beginning in 2019 and running til 2024 ? ;-)

goldorak

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Remaing French Frames are in Germany Paris and Toulouse.

And one (F-BVFA) in Washington, Air & Space Museum Hudvar Hazy center at IAD airport
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 6&biw=1125

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos