aaway

Re: FAA agrees to Santa Monica airport closure

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Not all are eliminated as I observed three jet departures yesterday afternoon.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

DashTrash

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:08 pm

janders wrote:
Good. As former Westsider this closure cant come soon enough. Hopefully eliminating all the corporate jets buys some respite for residents till 2028.

Hope you enjoy added delays at LAX as it absorbs the jets that were using SMO. VNY and BUR won't see much additional traffic due to location.

Out of curiosity, how many of those residents you mention were there when the airport was forced upon them in 1923?

Tugger

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The airport reopened with shortened 3,500ft runway

The new shortened runway:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

aaway

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm

DashTrash wrote:
Hope you enjoy added delays at LAX as it absorbs the jets that were using SMO. VNY and BUR won't see much additional traffic due to location.

Actually VNY is really not that bad an alternative geographically. Depending on destination, VNY is 10 (Westwood) to 20 (coastal Santa Monica) road miles away. The major drawback is the near-constant congestion on the (I-) 405 traversing to/from Santa Monica & the Westside. The one advantage that VNY has is the space to immediately absorb displaced SMO traffic.

My local airport, Hawthorne (KHHR), is in the midst of completing five new hangars on the north side of the field. I'm certain some of SMOs' displaced tenants will find new homes there.

LAX will get the bulk of the transient traffic.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

janders

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm

DashTrash wrote:
janders wrote:

Out of curiosity, how many of those residents you mention were there when the airport was forced upon them in 1923?

Really does not matter. A basic legal premise is that community should be able to guide its land use and in Santa Monica's case the airport is no longer compatible with the community and it residents. Its really no different than zoning out power plants, or other commercial uses deemed less desirable for an area as it evolves.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

DashTrash

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:07 pm

aaway wrote:
DashTrash wrote:

Actually VNY is really not that bad an alternative geographically. Depending on destination, VNY is 10 (Westwood) to 20 (coastal Santa Monica) road miles away. The major drawback is the near-constant congestion on the (I-) 405 traversing to/from Santa Monica & the Westside. The one advantage that VNY has is the space to immediately absorb displaced SMO traffic.

My local airport, Hawthorne (KHHR), is in the midst of completing five new hangars on the north side of the field. I'm certain some of SMOs' displaced tenants will find new homes there.

LAX will get the bulk of the transient traffic.

LAX is exactly where our clients have been going in lieu of SMO. Haven't seen much uptick into VNY, maybe a little into BUR. We really don't go there all that often.

janders wrote:
DashTrash wrote:
janders wrote:

Really does not matter. A basic legal premise is that community should be able to guide its land use and in Santa Monica's case the airport is no longer compatible with the community and it residents. Its really no different than zoning out power plants, or other commercial uses deemed less desirable for an area as it evolves.

It does matter. Most communities that develop around airports, railroads, power plants, etc aren't compatible either. If every small community gets their way through whining and back door deals as SMO did this country's infrastructure is in serious jeopardy.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 pm

LAX might see some of the larger bizjet traffic, but general GA traffic will go somewhere else as the fee structure and FBO set up not geared towards smaller GA activity at all.

Regarding community rights, I strongly support the notion that a community indeed should be able to decide land use policy and what might have once been a good thing can turn into a nuisance. No community should be forced to host an airport, power/chemical plant, strip club, etc.
Anyhow if it was solely up to Santa Monica, it likely would have closed the airport probably a decade ago Meigs Field style, but instead, it now agreed to an orderly shutdown with more than a decades notice. SMO is not the first community airport that has closed in SoCal and likely won't be the last.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Blimpie

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:52 pm

janders wrote:
DashTrash wrote:
janders wrote:

My great great grandparent's (Native American) tribe kept hearing that exact argument after a bunch of newcomers forced their way west.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

flyfresno

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm

I hope they keep the aviation museum around.

BerenErchamion

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am

janders wrote:
Good. As former Westsider this closure cant come soon enough. Hopefully eliminating all the corporate jets buys some respite for residents till 2028.

This mindset is an example of everything that's wrong with the US.

fdx320loader

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 am

janders wrote:
DashTrash wrote:
janders wrote:

I'm afraid you've got that backwards, the residents are/never have been compatible with the airport. I for one would never believe that buying a home near an airport would subject me to airplane noise :sigh:

kitplane01

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 am

BobPatterson wrote:
What gives the Federal Government (FAA) the power to deny the people the right to close their airport and use their land for some other purpose?

I need help in understanding this. Maybe there are valid reasons.

The city of Santa Monica agreed to keep the airport open and usable for 25 years when they took money from the FAA in 2008.
Now they want to break their contract.
Dishonest people.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Jet operations at Santa Monica Airport plummeted 86 percent in four months after the runway was shortened.

Jet Operations at Santa Monica Airport Plummet After Runway Shortened
https://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_sit ... tened.html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

slider

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Jet operations at Santa Monica Airport plummeted 86 percent in four months after the runway was shortened.

Jet Operations at Santa Monica Airport Plummet After Runway Shortened
https://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_sit ... tened.html

What a damn shame.

janders

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Seems like the city largely managed to smartly achieve its goal to rid airport of jets.

The airport can remain as GA field until its final closure.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

jetmatt777

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 pm

[*]
janders wrote:
Seems like the city largely managed to smartly achieve its goal to rid airport of jets.

The airport can remain as GA field until its final closure.

Would be a good short field practice spot for the Air Force or Navy fighter jets :)
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Bjm0517

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 am

Sad to see such a historic airport go :crying:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos