SQ22
Topic Author

EY and LH CEO`s holding joint news conference on February 1st, 2017

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:35 pm

According to Reuters James Hogan and Carsten Spohr are holding a joint news conference on their future cooperation coming Wednesday in Abu Dhabi.

http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-lufth ... KKBN15D0OC

enilria

Re: EY and LH CEO`s holding joint news conference on February 1st, 2017

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:47 pm

The only thing we kind of don't already know is whether EY will own part of LH or not. They have been denying it.

piedmontf284000

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:53 pm

enilria wrote:
The only thing we kind of don't already know is whether EY will own part of LH or not..

Or vice versa

ExDubai

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 pm

enilria wrote:
The only thing we kind of don't already know is whether EY will own part of LH or not. They have been denying it.

Maybe LH will own a part of EY ;)
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

peterj324

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:49 pm

I bet they will be announcing a major interline or codeshare agreement. Doubt there will be a merger or partial acquisition.

TWA772LR

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:53 pm

My (rather extreme) prediction(s):
Etihad and Lufthansa forming a JV.
Etihad dropping Air Berlin and Alitalia like a hot potato.
Etihad joins Star.

Regardless of what happens, I wonder what this means for AB, 9Y, Air Serbia, and Alitalia.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

vhtje

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Is the fact that the news conference is being held in Abu Dhabi a clue?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Dutchy

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Either way will it be an interesting press moment.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

uberflieger

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 am

ExDubai wrote:
enilria wrote:
Maybe LH will own a part of EY

Wouldn't that be sweet. :bigthumbsup:

leftyboarder

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:55 am

It is very odd that LH criticised ME3 for so long, and then went ahead and got in bed with EY when TK was already in Star. I doubt this will bear the fruit they hope it will.

MaksFly

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:04 am

I would not be surprised if it is not EY dumping their European assets to LH, in exchange for minority stake in LH?

N505fx

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Etihad joins Star.

Regardless of what happens, I wonder what this means for AB, 9Y, Air Serbia, and Alitalia.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if they honor same sex partner ID90 benefits in the premium cabins like the other Star partners do.

LGAviation

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 am

I doubt the fact that it is in AUH is a clue. EY owners are focused on prestige in a way LH certainly is not. Besides, everybody know where Germany is :D
I would anticipate a major codeshare deal albeit with the focus for LH on EY being on India and Australia and for EY on LH on secondary TATL markets. I would assume that AB might end up with LH whereas I don't really see a future for AZ in the new partnership. LH would be stupid to assume ownership unless Abu Dhabi covers debts and issues some sort of guarantee. I would have expected EY to take up equity but since they have denied it and rules for giving such information under German capital markets law would likely prevent at least LH from making wrongful statements, that may be on the cards later on.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

ExDubai

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 am

uberflieger wrote:
ExDubai wrote:
enilria wrote:
Maybe LH will own a part of EY

Wouldn't that be sweet. :bigthumbsup:

Yepp, and then rename it "Eurowings Arabia" :D
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

N14AZ

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 am

According to German newspapers it's "just" about advanced cooperation, e.g. in the sector of aircraft maintenance and catering, so no Etihansa.announcement... then again, you never know...

superjeff

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:15 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Etihad joins Star.

My thoughts would be closer cooperation including code-sharing, or possibly a merger between LH and AB caused by EY selling their interest in AB for what it is currently worth (maybe one Euro??)

sofianec

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Airline consolidation is Europe is way overdue imho. Having so many different brands within the very small-sized Western Europe is simply not sustainable. I will probably be blasted but Austrian Airlines and Brussels Airlines are completely un-necessary and redundant as brands. I might give SWISS the benefit of keeping a separate brand but that's it. With all that EU integration brouhaha we are still left with so many brands most of which are struggling to adapt to today's challenges. Alitalia, Brussels even SAS are anachronisms. Europe can sustain no more than 3 major brand/network carriers.

What's the problem having the following brands:

Lufthansa (LH)
- operated by LH Germany
- operated by LH Austria (formerly Austrian)
- operated by LH Italy (formerly Alitalia)
- operated by LH Brussels (formerly Brussels Airlines)

Eurowings (EW) - i would rather prefer LH buys Condor because EW livery is causing me liver damage
- operated by Eurowings Germany / AirBerlin
- operated by Niki Austria

And be done with it.

LCC's such as Ryanair and WizzAir are wildly successful because they operate without being limited to one country.
A350WARP

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm

My thoughts would be closer cooperation including code-sharing, or possibly a merger between LH and AB caused by EY selling their interest in AB for what it is currently worth (maybe one Euro??)[/quote]

This sound quite reasonable, and Alitalia is dropped off a cliff. :checkmark:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

sf260

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:02 pm

sofianec wrote:
I might give SWISS the benefit of keeping a separate brand but that's it.

Why keep the SWISS name, but not Austrian and Brussels? That makes no sense at all to me. Europe is still very divided and people are still proud about their origins. Nationalism has gained momentum in a lot of countries in Europe in recent history. Some people (and companies definitely) are still prepared to pay a bit more to travel with their "home" brand/carrier. The European Union is not the United States of Europe.

All of the LH Group brands are (very) strong in their respective home countries, but rather weak abroad. I agree with you on that.

I also think that it looks a bit messy with all these different brands, but they exist for a reason. How many brands does Coca-Cola own, or AB-Inbev, or Procter and Gamble? Last time I checked, they were all still doing ok.

lightsaber

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Etihad joins Star.

I'll go with your predictions.

Air Serbia will remain a partner with EY.
9W will remain a partner, will become a LH partner through association, but the GoI won't let them join *A.

Alitalia and AB will be cut loose. If they thrive, bonus for EY. If not... A bad investment realized. Cest la vie.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 am

Sounds like LH might be acquiring part, if not all, of AB. UA just applied for an extensive Air Berlin codeshare.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1354343
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

enilria

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Sounds like LH might be acquiring part, if not all, of AB. UA just applied for an extensive Air Berlin codeshare.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1354343

Or EY or joining Star or EY is buying part of LH or...
Bottom line, AB/EY are getting tighter with LH.

wolfsburg

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:29 am

sf260 wrote:
sofianec wrote:

Why keep the SWISS name, but not Austrian and Brussels? That makes no sense at all to me. Europe is still very divided and people are still proud about their origins. Nationalism has gained momentum in a lot of countries in Europe in recent history. Some people (and companies definitely) are still prepared to pay a bit more to travel with their "home" brand/carrier. The European Union is not the United States of Europe.

All of the LH Group brands are (very) strong in their respective home countries, but rather weak abroad. I agree with you on that.

I also think that it looks a bit messy with all these different brands, but they exist for a reason. How many brands does Coca-Cola own, or AB-Inbev, or Procter and Gamble? Last time I checked, they were all still doing ok.

I guess it is all down to the branding. Swiss itself is branded is many ways. Austria and Brussels are not as strong as Swiss.
Sometimes it may not be nationalism but you are used to your local brand and you can fly directly or more conveniently.

factsonly

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

sf260 wrote:

Why keep the SWISS name, but not Austrian and Brussels? That makes no sense at all to me.

If at all true........a simple answer could be:

- Switzerland is NOT a member of the EU.

- Belgium and Austria are EU member nations.

Therefore slightly different national regulations and ownership rules.

Await and see tomorrow's press conference.........

UAL777UK

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm

[quote="TWA772LR"]Sounds like LH might be acquiring part, if not all, of AB. UA just applied for an extensive Air Berlin codeshare.

If LH takes all of AB then surely AB will join Star at some point? Surely ABs days are numbered?

chiraagnt

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 pm

LGAviation wrote:
I would anticipate a major codeshare deal albeit with the focus for LH on EY being on India and Australia and for EY on LH on secondary TATL markets.

Doubt Australia will be covered extensively since Lufthansa group and SQ entered a JV precisely to cover the Australian/South-East asia markets it does not serve through its FRA/ZRH-SIN daily flights

sofianec

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

sf260 wrote:
sofianec wrote:

It certainly makes for a more colorful market if all brands are to be retained but as it is today the LCCs have a huge advantage over the EU legacies because they can use crews for example from cheaper bases and to consolidate operations so on... Another thing is network integration - while Lufthansa Group carriers are somewhat integrated and combinations are doable between hubs/airlines it's still not as efficient as Delta for example. Air France - KLM are less integrated, British - Iberia are essentially 2 separate airlines. SWISS can stand alone because it has a very good Premium cabin market which not doable within a larger Lufthansa. In fact only Frankfurt can sustain First Class service.

All of the LH brands are good but not as much as other pairings. I can't imagine AIR FRANCE renaming KLM or vice versa nor British with Iberia but Austrian and Brussels are at best regional players not global ones. Why is it so difficult to have Lufthansa in VIE, BRU and MXP/LIN instead of OS, SN and AZ. The battle is anyway for global connectivity and it will be much easier for ONE globally heavy brand to punch up.

If we focus on Premium demand the EU leaders are
TIER 1
- London Heathrow LHR - by far the largest premium demand in Europe, quite evident from the premium-heavy config of BA aircraft
- Frankfurt FRA - second largest premium demand in Europe but mostly sustainable because of Lufthansa global network connectivity focus, same F/C demand cannot be replicated in their second hub MUC
- Paris CDG - significant premium demand but less F that the top 3 markets
- Madrid MAD - significant premium demand focused on Latin America, mostly J

TIER 1.5
- Zurich ZRH historically has very heavy F/C demand and can sustain as a niche operation under LH umbrella, GVA is lost to LCCs.
- Amsterdam AMS - a well-oiled hub operation with good premium demand but almost entirely built on transfers

TIER 2
Outside of these leaders we have:
- Rome FCO - good O/D tourism demand but less premium demand
- Barcelona BCN - mostly tourists, much less premium
- Milan MXP/LIN - good premium demand but plagued from a HUB-potential, cannot be a moneymaker to Alitalia due to split airport operation
- Munich MUC - good premium demand mostly J, most of Northern Italy connects there
- Vienna VIE - most of demand is focused on Eastern Europe, thin premium demand
- Brussels BRU - most of demand is focused on a number of Africa destinations, thin to non-existant premium demand outside of selected Africa spots

I believe that only TIER 1 hubs can sustain a legacy major with some of the TIER 2s as secondary hubs. In TIER 1.5 i put airline/hub combos that can sustain a niche operation because of unique position/specialization. TIER 2 hubs should not have a standalone legacy operation because of limited overall potential.

---
A350WARP

mict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:14 am

The press conference is at 4.20 am EST (1.20 pm Abu Dhabi local time) and will be live streamed here: https://livestream.com/etihad/eylh

KarelXWB

LH, EY announce cooperation

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 am

LH, EY announce cooperation

- Codeshare agreement reconfirmed.
- EY to move into some LH terminals in Germany to ease cooperation.
- EY signs $100 million 4 years contract with LH:
  • EY will use Lufthansa catering & technik outside of AUH.
  • LSG Sky Team will provide meals to EY in 16 cities.
- LH CEO believes future partnership is possible, but reaffirms opposition to state subsidies.

Live on:
https://twitter.com/R_Wall
https://twitter.com/winglets747
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Someone83

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 am

A lot of fanfare for a deal regarding catering and maintenance, + that Etihad will use Lufthansa's terminals in FRA/MUC

mict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 am

Someone83 wrote:
A lot of fanfare for a deal regarding catering and maintenance, + that Etihad will use Lufthansa's terminals in FRA/MUC

I agree, this was a disappointment :(

KarelXWB

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:09 am

So much for the fleet merger rumor (something that isn't possible anyway).
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

LGAviation

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:12 am

What kind of Codeshare deal are we talking about? A new one and if yes what does it comprise?
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

mict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:14 am

LGAviation wrote:
What kind of Codeshare deal are we talking about? A new one and if yes what does it comprise?

Nothing new was added to what was announced a few weeks ago.

LHRFlyer

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 am

Arguably today's press conference is more interesting for what EY and LH evidently haven't been able to agree on.

You don't invite journalists to a press conference to announce a catering/MRO contract and some codeshares.

Armodeen

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:05 am

This announcement is about as exciting as Qatars massive super awesome best ever announcement in the US last year that was all hype and no substance.

MoKa777

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:14 am

Well, that was exciting...
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

seahawk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 am

What did you expect?

EY enters Star? - That would see all Star CEOs around
LH and EY agree on something new regarding AZ and AB? - would need official confirmation, so rumours would be around long before

And as long as AB and AZ are still not solved, EY buying shares in LH was also unlikely.

Apart from that it is a big deal for LHT and LSG. And LHT is a big factor in the LH group.

6thfreedom

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Interesting co-operation, and even more interesting if EY does go the way of Star.

LH has a close relationship with SQ via Star, especially into Australiasia.
EY and SQ are major holder of Virgin Australia.
Does LH end up working with both into the far east?

lightsaber

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:
Arguably today's press conference is more interesting for what EY and LH evidently haven't been able to agree on.

You don't invite journalists to a press conference to announce a catering/MRO contract and some codeshares.

I suspect you are right. This was supposed to be something more... and wasn't.

Very lame considering AB is doomed.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos