Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
vlad1971
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:48 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 pm

[quote=
The USA will need to watch what is off-loaded from that plane at CCS via CIA agents; this could be a case of a plane with very few passengers but full belly cargo.[/quote]
Excuse me for a question - is USA a GOD in this Universe ?? Why in GOD's sake USA needs to "watch" what other Governments are doing ? Its non of their business….Its not their country. Better watch own mess you have now.
 
solarflyer22
Posts: 1517
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:54 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Mahan Air has already been sanctioned by the USA and EU for its role in aiding the Bashar Hafez al-Assad regime. I would suspect that this plane is being acquired because it could fly nonstop from DAM to CCS without any real penalty, and that its belly cargo capability could be used for some pretty nefarious reasons. The flight path doesn't require traversing over the EU. I suspect that this A340-300 will be used to transport weapons and or nuclear base materials to support the Maduro regime. The USA will need to watch what is off-loaded from that plane at CCS via CIA agents; this could be a case of a plane with very few passengers but full belly cargo.


There is nothing illegal with supporting Assad regime. Its just a made up point of view pushed by the US. Syria cut off Saddam Hussein's oil pipeline during the 1980s war which forced them to transit oil through the Persian Gulf which Iran both mined and attacked. Iran owes Syria one whether he's a nice man or not. And considering the Saudis have bombed and killed 10,000 + Yemenis with US support, I find it astounding they complain about Mahan Air's token # of flights. And a lot of the Iranians going into Syria are volunteers just like the 1980s war with Saddam. Of course, you'd never hear that on US media.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 am

hisham wrote:
Syria didn't have flights to China and South America in peace time. They're not about to start now. Even after the war is over, it will be decades before they start such routes. Unfortunately, this is a poor country that will be much poorer after the war is over. 5 million pax used DAM at its peak before the war.

A reality check is good before posting.


Quite. A reality check is good indeed before posting. You see, Syria did have flights to South America in peacetime. First IR, then V0, flew DAM-CCS. IR, of course, originated in THR.
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
hisham wrote:
Syria didn't have flights to China and South America in peace time. They're not about to start now. Even after the war is over, it will be decades before they start such routes. Unfortunately, this is a poor country that will be much poorer after the war is over. 5 million pax used DAM at its peak before the war.

A reality check is good before posting.


Quite. A reality check is good indeed before posting. You see, Syria did have flights to South America in peacetime. First IR, then V0, flew DAM-CCS. IR, of course, originated in THR.


I meant to say Syrian Air never had flights. No reality check needed here. They're not going to buy an A340 to operate a route that failed after 3 years of once weekly service.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 am

Russia is in the process of destroying ISIS with the blessing of President Bashar al Assad and President Donald J Trump. It is game over for ISIS and the jihadis. The situation in Syria is only going to get better and safer from now on, especially now that Iran and Hezbollah are backing up the Syrian government and helping them hold territory. Al-Queda can forget about conquering Damascus. Tourism is going to improve in Syria very quickly. I would like to see Syrian Air acquire additional A343s from Finnair and launch service to JFK and MIA.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Russia is in the process of destroying ISIS with the blessing of President Bashar al Assad and President Donald J Trump. It is game over for ISIS and the jihadis. The situation in Syria is only going to get better and safer from now on, especially now that Iran and Hezbollah are backing up the Syrian government and helping them hold territory. Al-Queda can forget about conquering Damascus. Tourism is going to improve in Syria very quickly. I would like to see Syrian Air acquire additional A343s from Finnair and launch service to JFK and MIA.


You are kidding, right? I don't know which part of your post is more ridiculous: the part about RB flights to the US, the part about tourism improving very quickly (Syria never was a big tourism destination in the first place, nor was RB ever mainly about tourism traffic), or the part about Russia destroying ISIS (like everything would be pure sunshine, like they wouldn’t keep on their terrorist activities even after they are stripped of every square metre of land in Syria and Iraq...)
 
WIederling
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:14 pm

vlad1971 wrote:
Excuse me for a question - is USA a GOD in this Universe ?? Why in GOD's sake USA needs to "watch" what other Governments are doing ? Its non of their business….Its not their country. Better watch own mess you have now.


They think and behave like they are GOD. The god of blowback from fumbling incompetence.
Murphy is an optimist
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:19 pm

hisham wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
hisham wrote:
Syria didn't have flights to China and South America in peace time. They're not about to start now. Even after the war is over, it will be decades before they start such routes. Unfortunately, this is a poor country that will be much poorer after the war is over. 5 million pax used DAM at its peak before the war.

A reality check is good before posting.


Quite. A reality check is good indeed before posting. You see, Syria did have flights to South America in peacetime. First IR, then V0, flew DAM-CCS. IR, of course, originated in THR.


I meant to say Syrian Air never had flights. No reality check needed here. They're not going to buy an A340 to operate a route that failed after 3 years of once weekly service.


Well, that is what you did say. Maybe you should not write as arrogantly as you do unless you have your facts right, asking people to do reality checks before they post here. Because you are in deep need of a reality check yourself, if you believe for a second that the profitability of these routes is the deciding factor for RB. RB is an instrument of the Syrian government, and whereas I have no clue as to whether RB will actually acquire an A340 or not, nor whether they will fly these routes or not, I am absolutely positive that profitability has nothing to do with the decision. This is all about getting arms to and from Venezuela and China, as well as cocaine from Venezuela, to Syria, in un undercover manner. Just like the last time around, when IR and V0 operated DAM-CCS. You say the last time the once-weekly flight was unprofitable. Correct. Because again, profits had nothing to do with anything in that operation. It was a sinister arms and cocaine deal between Chávez, Ahmadinejad and al-Assad and the Hizbollah.
And if you still don't believe me, then ponder on the fact that illegitimate President Maduro of Venezuela just called al-Assad the other day to congratulate him on his success.... (That's the official part. I'm sure more sinister topics were discussed as well. )

Sorry, only in Spanish

http://www.fundayacucho.gob.ve/index.ph ... abe-siria/

I'm sure you will now tell me what you MEANT to say..??
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Well if my post sounded arrogant, sorry. Your last post is pretty arrogant also.
I concede I didn't consider the arms and drugs angle. But why not keep using Iranian and Venezuelan aircraft that can be used for other purposes also? RB has little use for an 340 for PAX service.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10629
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 pm

hisham wrote:
But why not keep using Iranian and Venezuelan aircraft that can be used for other purposes also? RB has little use for an 340 for PAX service.

Venezuela is in the toilet and probably can't afford to maintain their own long haul aircraft- Conviasa's current 747 is (I think wet-)leased from Wamos who I suspect does not want the aircraft in Syria. With Iranian relations with the West (well Europe at least) warming up I suspect they don't want to jeopardize any deals.
 
Polarisguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:25 pm

An A340-300? wonder how much Mahan is paying them to take that dog off their hands?
Flown on DC3, 6,7,8,9,10 Conviar 440,880, Boeing 707,717,727,737,7472-3-4, Concorde, HS125, Lear23, Airbus 318,319,320,330 YS11, Saab340, Short 330,360, Cessna 150,172,177,210,310,340,421
 
User avatar
ua900
Moderator
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:00 pm

Let's do the usual. Congrats to RB!

Y'all can think what you like. If your country's allies dwindle down and some of them require long haul non stops due to say the EU not allowing for technical stops then you'll need long haul equipment to operate the route. It's understood that RB will likely use these for cargo / range / VIP as opposed to deporting unwelcome Syrian rebel leaders to LatAm. What were the Syrians supposed to do, drop dead? They manage to run an airline in spite of a lot of obstacles. Kudos to them, the Iranians, the Cubans, the North Koreans, and any other country that has ever been subject to sanctions and nonetheless managed to retain air operations. Irrespective of political opinions since this is an aviation forum. What they're managing under those conditions is impressive.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Ua900, the route to Caracas was called aero terror. Apparently it was used to carry arms for terror groups and drugs to fund them. Kudos to them?
 
User avatar
ua900
Moderator
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am

hisham wrote:
Ua900, the route to Caracas was called aero terror. Apparently it was used to carry arms for terror groups and drugs to fund them. Kudos to them?


And that's different from what so many other countries do and did running arms and drugs over time because... ? Let me guess, the others were freedom fighters, right?

Air America and the dozens of other ganja airlines, Aeroflot, Air China, Interflug, just to name a few. Check out the SIPRI database sometime, you'll find that there are a number of countries where virtually every operator that deals in areas like humanitarian assistance / food distribution also happens to deal in illicit arms transfers: https://www.sipri.org/yearbook/2016

If my country is in need of hard currency then I might sell arms to someone, or engage in selling something stolen or drugs in order to finance those arms if I'm in need of them. Conversely, I may also engage in that activity if I'm interested in muckraking and want to do some deals off the books so that I have a secondary budget beyond what my local legislature allots.

Better not question how the other side got their weapons and what we'd want to call them. For all we know the end result could be the same when a C-5 Galaxy is going to Incirlik Air Base and a Syrian A343 is going into CCS. If one side runs transports then the other side can be expected to do the same. Which side is terrorist depends on whether you think Assad is fighting ISIS or whether he's part of ISIS somehow. No one wants war for their country, Syrians long for peace in their country as do we for our countries. People do what's necessary to survive. No shame in that.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:37 am

Ua900, this is false moral equivalency. But that's not the place to discuss it. I won't comment on the politics of this issue after this.
 
User avatar
ua900
Moderator
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 am

hisham wrote:
Ua900, this is false moral equivalency. But that's not the place to discuss it. I won't comment on the politics of this issue after this.


Exactly, we're better off focusing on civil aviation here, Syrian Airlines is getting an Airbus 340. Good for them, and we would have said that for anyone who was hitherto restricted to narrow bodies or anyone who reentered the widebody realm after a hiatus.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 am

Syrian Air will need more long-haul widebodies. Trump is going to create a tourism boom in Syria. Trump is going to build a golf resort in the Golan Heights and a casino in Qatana. Putin is going to provide Russian military assistance and escorts.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:11 am

Looks like they've now taken delivery. Article is behind a paywall that said, but the title is enough:

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... aiden-a340

Does anyone have any photos of this bird?

Further, what sources do you guys use to find new liveries etc? I often struggle to find anything, even on Twitter!
 
rutankrd
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:08 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:05 am

Well i expect its one of those two veterans of Athens now in Mehrabad with doggy Kazac serial and a shady cover airline with absolutely no use for a wide body.

Could wrong but little doubt the Iranians are involved and Mahan will be the real operator imho
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am

It's probably a ruse to facilitate arms trafficking under a civilian cover.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 pm

solarflyer22 wrote:
I'm glad they are getting something via Iran instead of Russia's old planes. I don't see why these people should be forced to flee by dinghies instead of by plane. If they use it for passenger service surely it will save someone.


Deep down I am hoping you were joking, or else your post takes the cake for most inappropriate, uninformed and shallow of this thread. You really think that refugees from a war torn area who have nothing left in this world (including no ID) are given the option to choose how to flee?..
No offence meant.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 pm

aviationaware wrote:
It's probably a ruse to facilitate arms trafficking under a civilian cover.


Give us a break and get real. You seriously think those who are doing arms trafficking need to buy a second hand A340 and get its belly filled with old AK47s whilst flying some semi-fake commercial flight?.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4689
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:12 pm

TheLion wrote:
Looks like they've now taken delivery. Article is behind a paywall that said, but the title is enough:

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... aiden-a340

Does anyone have any photos of this bird?

Further, what sources do you guys use to find new liveries etc? I often struggle to find anything, even on Twitter!


Yes, I revived this thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=527173&p=19361817#p19361817 when it looked like the poor former Olympic birds were finally going to move. Many details on Syrias 2 newest ones
The last of the famous international playboys
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

richcam427 wrote:
NichCage wrote:
Syria is a dangerous war zone, do tourists still visit the country?


Only if they have a death wish.


Damascus now? Certainly a lot less dangerous than Detroit or Baltimore on any given day..
Life goes on there. I have colleagues who live and work there. Not ideal but yes life goes on. It's relatively safe, with no visible destruction. Shops, restaurants, bars, hotels are open and fully functioning. And yes, it is technically possible to go and visit, and fly there directly from a number of international airports with no special arrangements in place (except perhaps added security and some extra questioning).
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 pm

The USA will need to watch what is off-loaded from that plane at CCS via CIA agents; .

[/quote]

Should they? Really?? They are not exactly the world's guardian angel...
I'd say it's instead just about time the USA stop meddling so incompetently in foreign politics and stick to fixing their many domestic matters first. Just my two cents.

Just for fun guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJejVU6HqfU
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:26 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

Give us a break and get real. You seriously think those who are doing arms trafficking need to buy a second hand A340 and get its belly filled with old AK47s whilst flying some semi-fake commercial flight?.


Why not? It allows Iran to wash its hands of doing it themselves with Mahan Air, the aircraft have enough range to reach South America or the Far East nations which are friendly to the Assad regime.

South Africa did stuff like this, so did Rhodesia.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:46 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
It's probably a ruse to facilitate arms trafficking under a civilian cover.


Give us a break and get real. You seriously think those who are doing arms trafficking need to buy a second hand A340 and get its belly filled with old AK47s whilst flying some semi-fake commercial flight?.


No need to get real. Reality already happened. If you had bothered to skim through the thread before posting, you would have seen that IR and V0 has already done exactly this, and it went on for a good 3 years. V0 did it with exactly A340-300, by the way. They shipped arms, drugs and other contraband on a nonstop flight DAM-CCS. "They" were the governments of Iran, Syria, and Venezuela, as well as the Hizbollah. Also called Terror Flights , or Aeroterror. So, yes, they need to get their own long-haul aircraft in order not to risk some pesky inspection at a stop-over point. So, no need for a break, and this IS real....unfortunately.
 
User avatar
BasilFawlty
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:29 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Well i expect its one of those two veterans of Athens now in Mehrabad with doggy Kazac serial and a shady cover airline with absolutely no use for a wide body.

Could wrong but little doubt the Iranians are involved and Mahan will be the real operator imho

No it isn't, the aircraft is c/n 381 and is registered YK-AZA. It's an ex. CX and UL aircraft.

oldannyboy wrote:
You really think that refugees from a war torn area who have nothing left in this world (including no ID) are given the option to choose how to flee?..

Do you really think the people you are describing are the sort of passengers on Syrianair these days?
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 am

Spacepope wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Looks like they've now taken delivery. Article is behind a paywall that said, but the title is enough:

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... aiden-a340

Does anyone have any photos of this bird?

Further, what sources do you guys use to find new liveries etc? I often struggle to find anything, even on Twitter!


Yes, I revived this thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=527173&p=19361817#p19361817 when it looked like the poor former Olympic birds were finally going to move. Many details on Syrias 2 newest ones


Aha nice thanks. I was hoping it might have been painted into SyrianAir colours. That's what I was on about. Let's see.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:50 am

oldannyboy wrote:
You really think that refugees from a war torn area who have nothing left in this world (including no ID) are given the option to choose how to flee?..

Do you really think the people you are describing are the sort of passengers on Syrianair these days?[/quote]

Of course not, that is precisely what I was implying in my message..
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
It's probably a ruse to facilitate arms trafficking under a civilian cover.


Give us a break and get real. You seriously think those who are doing arms trafficking need to buy a second hand A340 and get its belly filled with old AK47s whilst flying some semi-fake commercial flight?.


No need to get real. Reality already happened. If you had bothered to skim through the thread before posting, you would have seen that IR and V0 has already done exactly this, and it went on for a good 3 years. V0 did it with exactly A340-300, by the way. They shipped arms, drugs and other contraband on a nonstop flight DAM-CCS. "They" were the governments of Iran, Syria, and Venezuela, as well as the Hizbollah. Also called Terror Flights , or Aeroterror. So, yes, they need to get their own long-haul aircraft in order not to risk some pesky inspection at a stop-over point. So, no need for a break, and this IS real....unfortunately.


Guys, both the Assad regime and the rebels have been receiving arms directly over land. Both parties are regularly supplied and certainly no civilian flight is needed for those "replenishment" operations.
I'm not saying though that the flights between Tehran-Damascus-Caracas were not "shady" or suspicious.. I am just saying that we would all be very naïve to imply that those were the main source of cash/arms supply... ;-)
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 am

oldannyboy wrote:
I'm not saying though that the flights between Tehran-Damascus-Caracas were not "shady" or suspicious.. I am just saying that we would all be very naïve to imply that those were the main source of cash/arms supply... ;-)


Where did anyone say that this flight would be the main source? But certainly one of many.
 
Luxair747SP
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:22 am

I did a quick photoshop picture how the A340 could look like

Image
 
User avatar
SR380
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Apparently Syrian Air took delivery of their first A340 which was bough thought Mahan Air (ex Olympic Airways jet)

https://airlinegeeks.com/2017/02/18/tak ... nes-a340s/
 
User avatar
SR380
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 am

Hello A.netter,

Syrian Air seems to have taken deliver of their first A340, ex Olympic Airways, acquired through Mahan Air of Iran.

I cannot find picture anywhere of the bird in her new livery.

Even official Syrian Air twitter shows a computers picture of an A340.

Did anyone spotted yet?

Cheers
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 pm

It would indeed look lovely in full Syrian Air uniform!
However, it's hard to beat the looks of the old -SP they had!
 
User avatar
SR380
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Hey guys! So nobluck finding new pics... according to this web site Syrian Air might have up to 3 A340 on order through Mahan Air:

https://inteloniran.blogspot.ch/2017/02 ... t.html?m=1

Any thought on that? Why so much A340 while only one A320 is airworthy?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Possibly they will also be looking at short haul frames too. It may be we just haven't heard about it. There does seem a certain murkiness with anything to do with the Assad regime, so this situation is unsurprising.

This said, Planespotters says that SyrianAir have 6 active A320s. Yet Wiki states there are only two active, with four stored. Airliners World is the source. There's no link though. The war and lack of traffic could be the reason for this. Does anyone have more info?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 am

So any pictures of this new Syrian Air bird?
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 am

NichCage wrote:
Syria is a dangerous war zone, do tourists still visit the country?


Well, I for one really wish I could have traveled to Syria when things were more peaceful. There are many attractions and sights there. What a tragedy.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15199
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:37 am

60 USA Missiles have been launched into Syria, in part targeting a military airport. Looks like Syrian Air is grounded for the foreseeable future.
 
User avatar
CanadaFair
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:49 am

ltbewr wrote:
60 USA Missiles have been launched into Syria, in part targeting a military airport. Looks like Syrian Air is grounded for the foreseeable future.


Right now FR24 shows they just did Damascus-Baghdad with A320 and yesterday they operated Damascus-Kuwait and Damascus-Cairo, active fleet is two A320 doing Larakia, Iraq, Jordan, Gulf, North Africa and Russia and two IL76 which fly to Iran, one Tu134 does weekly charters to Beirut.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 am

Please discuss the events occurring in Syria in the thread listed below in the Non Aviation Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1359889

This thread is regarding Syrian Air acquiring an A343. Discussion directly related to acquiring this aircraft or the future of the airline in relation to these events may also occur here. Discussion of the events itself, however, belongs in the Non Av thread.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
345tas
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:01 pm

When searching for YK-AZA on Flightaware it shows as an A320.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9723
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Picture says Flightaware is wrong.
 
User avatar
ua900
Moderator
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Good looking livery, thanks for sharing.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL
 
User avatar
leleko747
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 pm

345tas wrote:
When searching for YK-AZA on Flightaware it shows as an A320.


Are you sure you're searching for "AZA" and not "AKA"?
When searching "YK-AKA", an A320 indeed pops out. "AZA" shows nothing yet.

By the way, according to Airfleets.net, YK-AZA is a 2000 build A340-300 ex-Cathay Pacific B-HXL and Sri Lankan 4L-ADG.
No Olympic Airways involved, it seems.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.
 
345tas
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 pm

leleko747 wrote:
345tas wrote:
When searching for YK-AZA on Flightaware it shows as an A320.


Are you sure you're searching for "AZA" and not "AKA"?
When searching "YK-AKA", an A320 indeed pops out. "AZA" shows nothing yet.

By the way, according to Airfleets.net, YK-AZA is a 2000 build A340-300 ex-Cathay Pacific B-HXL and Sri Lankan 4L-ADG.
No Olympic Airways involved, it seems.


Yep. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/YKAZA

I saw a Twitter account celebrating the DAM-DXB-DAM flight so I guess that as someone said Flightaware is wrong.
 
User avatar
AeroTyke
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: Syrian Air to acquire A340-300

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm

345tas, YK--AZA details are in the upload queue on FR24 so check back tomorrow or the next day or so and it will be listed on there for you search from. It will be showing on this link once it's been added : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/yk-aza (ie. not showing Alitalia fleet!)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos