Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

WestJet Adds YYC-BNA

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:19 pm

A little odd given the limited number of Eastern USA cities with YYC service.

WestJet today announced it will become the first Canadian carrier featuring non-stop service between Calgary International Airport (YYC) and Nashville's Metropolitan Nashville Airport (BNA). The twice-weekly route starts May 4 .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/westjet-a ... 00239.html

YVRing

Re: WestJet Adds YYC-BNA

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 pm

Alberta is likley home to alot of country music fans that would find Nashville an appealing place to visit.

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 am

YVRing wrote:
Alberta is likley home to alot of country music fans that would find Nashville an appealing place to visit.

Shouldnt they have Branson service? :)

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:42 am

enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

The dynamic in BNA is somewhat unique because the demand growth over the past 5 years or so has been tied both to a growing business community and to tourism. As far as the diversity of drivers of demand (though not the size), BNA is more like NYC or BOS than LAS or MCO. I think this is true to Canada as well. I know I am working with more Canadian companies than I did 5 years ago, and many of my friends in a variety of industries are too.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

izbtmnhd

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 am

Cubsrule wrote:
enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

The dynamic in BNA is somewhat unique because the demand growth over the past 5 years or so has been tied both to a growing business community and to tourism. As far as the diversity of drivers of demand (though not the size), BNA is more like NYC or BOS than LAS or MCO. I think this is true to Canada as well. I know I am working with more Canadian companies than I did 5 years ago, and many of my friends in a variety of industries are too.

This is 2x weekly service on Thurs and Sun. It's schedule screams leisure over business.

DFW789ER

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 am

enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

Branson is not as honky-tonk country as Nashville.

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:02 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
enilria wrote:

This is 2x weekly service on Thurs and Sun. It's schedule screams leisure over business.

YYZ also started sub-daily and is now daily.

usflyer msp

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 am

DFW789ER wrote:
enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

Branson is not as honky-tonk country as Nashville.

To be frank, Branson is for the lower-middle class. If you can afford a flight, you can afford to go somewhere else...

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:37 am

Wow, even with a Delta codeshare out of a DL focus city, I wouldn't have guessed this.

globalflyer

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:00 am

Was really hoping for WS to add ATL-YYC. I know DL would never allow a ATL-YYZ/YUL but was hoping for YYC or even remotely YVR... but it will never happen. DL refuses competition.., Look at AM. Been to/from ATL at least 5 times now... Even the DL partners are rare in ATL... yes a few but rare.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Lexy

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 am

Cubsrule wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Wasn't it upgraded rather quickly after it launched?
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Lexy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

I cannot recall the exact timing, but it would have had to have been fairly quick because BNA-YYZ started fairly recently.

usflyer123

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Pretty strange route, but I guess leisure can make it happen. Now lets hope BNA will earn its long discussed BNA-LHR!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

flymco753

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Weird route, but nonetheless interesting. I hope it works out well for BNA. The good thing is the pax arriving from YYC will get to enter the terminal normally.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

DFW789ER

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Lexy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

IIRC, it was launched as 4x weekly, seasonal. It went to daily and then year-round pretty fast.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 pm

globalflyer wrote:
Was really hoping for WS to add ATL-YYC. I know DL would never allow a ATL-YYZ/YUL but was hoping for YYC or even remotely YVR... but it will never happen. DL refuses competition.., Look at AM. Been to/from ATL at least 5 times now... Even the DL partners are rare in ATL... yes a few but rare.

Delta and WestJet don't have an anti-trust immunized joint venture. Delta and WestJet can't jointly direct routes or scheduling. Same thing with AM, until the ATI'd JV is in force.

As for why we don't see more Delta partner metal in ATL, do tell us, what carrier has better name recognition than Delta in Atlanta? Do Delta pilots want to fly routes from ATL, or to have partner carrier pilots fly them?
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:30 pm

dupe

RamblinMan

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:43 pm

enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

Yes because Branson is a booming metro of nearly 2 million. :roll:

dronezone

Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Does anyone have any information on how this route is performing?

impromark

Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 pm

If the Edmonton Oilers win on Wednesday, there may well be an uptick in people heading there for the next round of the playoffs. Does that count?

<rimshot>

Mark

antoniemey

Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm a bit late to this conversation... but for those of you who think this is an odd route, I disagree. The number of passengers transiting BNA-YYC daily when I left 6 months ago was easily in the dozens just on UA. Add on DL and AA's pax and you have a strong market, without taking into account potential connections for WS on the YYC end.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 pm

When I was living in Nashville a while back, I took a trip to Alberta and was pulled over in my rental car by a Mountie for speeding. When he looked at my drivers license and saw I was from the Music City, he exclaimed,"What are you doing visiting Alberta? Everyone from here is going down there!"

southwest1675

Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 pm

I was told Country Music and hockey alone would keep this route going.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

WaywardMemphian

Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 am

RamblinMan wrote:
enilria wrote:
YVRing wrote:

Yes because Branson is a booming metro of nearly 2 million. :roll:

Branson is in the middle two very well performing economies in Springfield and Northwest Arkansas but I digress. No way a route like that is viable.

http://www.nwacouncil.org/news/2016/10/ ... rough-2021

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications ... ro-profile

However that lower middle class comment is complete bunk, it enjoys visitation from all classes.

Whiteguy

Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 am

dronezone wrote:

It just started last week....

Thenoflyzone

Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 am

impromark wrote:
If the Edmonton Oilers win on Wednesday, there may well be an uptick in people heading there for the next round of the playoffs. Does that count?

<rimshot>

Mark

Edmontonians connecting in Cowtown? Blasphemy!
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

southwest1675

Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 am

dronezone wrote:

Looked on WestJet's site for YYC-BNA on May 11th. Looks pretty full to me. I never thought Nashville would ever get a flight there.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos