Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UnitedTristar
Topic Author

Shuttle America Ceases Operations

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Shuttle America Airlines flew into history last night as its last flight operated from LGA to DFW TCF3284 arriving at 12:28 am this morning. All former Shuttle America operations have now been folded into Republic

-m

atcsundevil

Re: Shuttle America Ceases Operations

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Sad to see, but I'm surprised it took this long. It had to be inefficient operating it as such a small subbrand, especially in the regional business where margins are razor thin.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Sad to see, but I'm surprised it took this long. It had to be inefficient operating it as such a small subbrand, especially in the regional business where margins are razor thin.

For scope clause reasons, they were required to, until recently. Something to do with Republic flying 175's that held 80 seats and Delta scope clause not allowing for regionals to operate a plane over 76, regardless of who they operated for.
From my cold, dead hands

ScottB

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
For scope clause reasons, they were required to, until recently. Something to do with Republic flying 175's that held 80 seats and Delta scope clause not allowing for regionals to operate a plane over 76, regardless of who they operated for.

There was also a United contractual clause which prohibited regional carriers operating under the United Express brand from operating to or from UA hubs under the brand of a different carrier (and IIRC OO may have had an exception). The three regional carriers at Republic (Chautauqua, Shuttle America, and Republic Airline) were all set up to be able to operate in compliance with the various major carrier scope restrictions. If memory serves, Republic bought the S5 certificate back when they started operating the E170 for US at Chautauqua. The AA scope clause with APA prohibited regional carriers other than MQ (American Eagle, now Envoy) from operating aircraft with more than 50 seats; I believe Republic was paying a penalty to AA or the union for violating that scope until the E170s were on the S5 certificate rather than the RP one.

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm

I'll miss the 'Mercury' call-sign when listening to ATC.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

KCaviator

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Interesting to note that the "new" airline name is officially Republic Airline. Not sure why the company omitted the "s"

b727fa

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Republic was having issues getting up and running. ALL the 170 flying was supposed to be at Republic (I had my transition class date). But when the UA and DL flying came on the line they had to buy a certificate to move it to (as CHQ had been flying it in violation of the AA scope). It was costing $1M/month. So RAH bought S5 for $1M and transferred the 170 flying to it (from CHQ). Meanwhile, Republic got their certificate and commenced the US flying.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

TheGeordielad

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Sad to hear will miss them

drdisque

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 pm

I imagine that was a bit of an operation as I believe the entire DL Shuttle fleet stayed with S5 until last night, so they had to change over the "Operated by" decals on all the aircraft and all the safety cards and registration placards.

Glad I got to fly them in in their last month of operation.

FlyUSAir

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

So what's going to happen with Delta Connection flying? From what I am gathering Republic only flies for American Eagle and United Express.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

KCaviator

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 pm

FlyUSAir wrote:
So what's going to happen with Delta Connection flying? From what I am gathering Republic only flies for American Eagle and United Express.

Republic now flies for Delta Connection as well as a result of the merger. Nothing is happening to the Delta flying. As a matter of fact, Republic is adding 6 E170s to further strengthen the Delta flying starting in April.

bigb

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:02 pm

This was the final step to bringing the ops under one umbrella. All of the workgroups have been combined for some time now, at least seniority wise.
ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI, B747-400, CRJ-200/700/900

FlyUSAir

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:12 pm

KCaviator wrote:
FlyUSAir wrote:

Republic now flies for Delta Connection as well as a result of the merger. Nothing is happening to the Delta flying. As a matter of fact, Republic is adding 6 E170s to further strengthen the Delta flying starting in April.

Thank you! Was curious.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

USAirKid

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:21 pm

I wonder if at this point they're going to fold the airline into the holding company and simplify that out as well?

fraspotter

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:28 pm

I've always been curious about these regional carriers that operate under the branding of larger airlines. Republic Airline operates flights under the UA Express/AA Eagle (and now DL Connection) brands but how does that work as far as employees? Could a Republic FA or pilot work a UA Express branded flight before switching over to an AA Eagle branded flight or do they try and keep the FAs and pilots under one brand (UA Express, AA Eagle,or DL Connection)?
Last edited by fraspotter on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

DiamondFlyer

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:30 pm

KCaviator wrote:
FlyUSAir wrote:

Well, I don't know that I'd use the word adding. Delta Connection is moving the only other 6 170's in the fleet from the midwest and west coast, previously operated by Compass, to LGA to be operated by Republic.
From my cold, dead hands

KCaviator

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:50 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
FlyUSAir wrote:

Well, I don't know that I'd use the word adding. Delta Connection is moving the only other 6 170's in the fleet from the midwest and west coast, previously operated by Compass, to LGA to be operated by Republic.

Correct. I guess I meant Republic is adding 6. As for DL, it's a net gain/loss of zero.

hOMSaR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:02 pm

fraspotter wrote:
I've always been curious about these regional carriers that operate under the branding of larger airlines. Republic Airline operates flights under the UA Express/AA Eagle (and now DL Connection) brands but how does that work as far as employees? Could a Republic FA or pilot work a UA Express branded flight before switching over to an AA Eagle branded flight or do they try and keep the FAs and pilots under one brand (UA Express, AA Eagle,or DL Connection)?

They can mix.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

intotheair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
fraspotter wrote:

They can mix.

Regional crew who are located in bases with service for two or more of the majors can and do fly for all brands. In other words, if you're a SkyWest FA based in DEN, you might fly for United Express on DEN-MCI-DEN one day, then the next day for Delta Connection on DEN-SLC-DEN. Sometimes the trips can be split up so that crew may work for two brands on the same trip (e.g. DEN-TUS on UAX, overnight, then TUS-SLC-DEN on DCI), but it's not quite so common. I am not quite as familiar with Republic, but I believe Republic does flying for more than one airline from at least a few of their bases too.

As for uniforms, at each regional carrier, they wear a common uniform (common to each regiona) that's usually something drab with lots of navy, and then they carry accent pieces (ties, scarves, pocket squares etc.) for each airline. So in that trip example above, an FA might wear a red scarf for the DL flights but then carry and later wear the weird jumbled letter UA scarf for the UA flights. In the end, as a customer, it is pretty difficult to tell the difference, especially now that the larger 70-76 seat aircraft all have unique seat and cabin designs for UA/DL/AA/AS.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

727LOVER

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm confused, .......so please help me out with the history.

They went Ch 11/Ch 7 or they were merged into the parent's operation? Did they have a parent?

What were their original routes and what year and what equipment?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

miaskies

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Let me shed some light as to how it works for flight attendant's working different flights for all 3 majors at YX Exclusively:

Post YX/S5 merger the YX hubs/bases will operate as follows:
(the carriers listed next to each city will have trips (ie. pairings) that start and finish in said city; therefore a crew base will operated from said city)

CMH: American Eagle, Delta Connection, United Express
DCA - AA HUB: American Eagle, American Shuttle, United Express
EWR - UA HUB: United Express
IND: American Eagle, Delta Connection, United Express
LGA - DL/AA HUB: American Eagle, American Shuttle, Delta Connection, Delta Shuttle, United Express
MCI: American Eagle, United Express
MIA - AA HUB: American Eagle
ORD - UA HUB: United Express, Delta Connection, Delta Shuttle
PHL - AA HUB: American Eagle
PIT: American Eagle, United Express

*I think we will be seeing the new YX move more more towards having crew bases in HUB cities. Look out for changes coming soon....and additions....IAH is a strong rumbling.

Looking at the above, you will see that some bases operate flights for all 3 majors while some offer 2 or just one carrier. Let's say if I were an LGA Flight Attendant, for the last 2 years YX has been exclusively American Eagle and recently also American Shuttle. Meaning, they ONLY flew American trips. Now post merger, LGA Flight Attendants can fly AA, DL, or UA trips. Each pairing or trip is airline specific meaning it will not be a trip mixed with AA one day, Delta the other, and UA the next. As FA's we are required to have with us pieces for all 3 carriers when working but that is more heavily focused on RESERVE Flight Attendants rather than line holders who seldom are reassigned from their original trip. Then you take a base like MIA that ONLY operates AA, that means flight attendants based there will work trips out of MIA that are only AA flying. But again, RESERVE flight attendants in MIA can be used anywhere in the system for any carrier at any given time.

Uniforms:

Yes, while AA,DL, UA have to agree on uniforms for FA's that work for all 3 that is slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past and I would not be surprised to see the majors require us to be more uniform specific. As is this the case with DL, starting in Q1 2018 YX will also be wearing the new DL uniforms for DL flying. Sign of things to come perhaps?

Anyway, that is some insight into ever growing and evolving airline. Excited for the future at YX!
Crosscheck Complete :)

intotheair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 pm

miaskies wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I was mostly going off information I learned when I asked this question on here a few months ago. I'm not sure how FAs feel about it, but from a passenger standpoint, I would support regional FAs wearing something nicer or the full mainline uniform. Those regional uniforms look so dull and depressing; I couldn't imagine having to wear one of those things. In terms of visual brand, it's about the only thing left that differentiates a regional flight from a mainline. The UA/DL/AA/AS seats and cabin designs on the nice new 70/76 seat aircraft look exactly like mainline planes now too.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

uconn99

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 pm

I remember seeing those Shuttle America branded Dash-8's in BDL when they first started as BDL was their HQ. I believe the first route was BDL-BUF around 1999.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:29 pm

uconn99 wrote:

I remember seeing those Shuttle America branded Dash-8's in BDL when they first started as BDL was their HQ. I believe the first route was BDL-BUF around 1999.

Yes, an interesting game plan to be sure, I hoped they would have succeeded as an independent. Not to be.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

bigb

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 am

727LOVER wrote:
I'm confused, .......so please help me out with the history.

They went Ch 11/Ch 7 or they were merged into the parent's operation? Did they have a parent?

What were their original routes and what year and what equipment?

They both were operated under the patent of Republic Airways Holdings for quite some time.
ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI, B747-400, CRJ-200/700/900

thegoldenargosy

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:57 am

It's amazing how much has changed at Republic since I was a Chautauqua FA in 2010. At the time there was Chautauqua, Republic, & Shuttle America flying as American Connection, Continental Express, Delta Connection, Midwest Connect, United Express, US Airways Express. Republic also still owned Frontier. It makes sense now to get everything on one certificate.

FAs were allowed to bid for a transfer between Chautauqua, Republic, & Shuttle. The transfer had to also include what base at that airline you wanted. If your transfer was approved you had to attend initial training again for that new certificate, 3 weeks in IND. I knew some FAs who had flown for all 3 airlines. You were only allowed to transfer back to a previous airline if they opened a new base, and you bid for that new base.

Flying reserve it was very rare to fly for more than one airline in a single day. All line trips were for one specific codeshare. It was hard to remember all the differences and I found myself sometimes welcoming pax aboard the wrong airline. When I was there only AA had different uniform pieces. We wore the AE wings and were not allowed to wear the epaulettes on our shirts. Female FAs could purchase the AA red cardigan and the AE blouse.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos