Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Ryanair opens 15 new routes from Israel

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:15 am

Really impressive expansion. After a few odd routes from Ovda, Israel gets the full "Ryanair treatment".

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... 19-routes/

Tel Aviv

7 new routes:
Baden Baden (2 weekly),
Gdansk (2 weekly),
Krakow (2 weekly),
Milan Bergamo (4 weekly),
Paphos (daily),
Poznan (2 weekly),
Wroclaw (2 weekly)

Eilat Ovda

8 new routes:
Baden Baden (2 weekly),
Berlin (2 weekly),
Brussels Charleroi (2 weekly),
Frankfurt Hahn (2 weekly),
Gdansk (2 weekly),
Milan Bergamo (2 weekly),
Poznan (2 weekly),
Warsaw (2 weekly)

Btw, when is the new Eilat airport opening?

blacksoviet

Re: Ryanair opens 15 new routes from Israel

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:00 am

When will the terminal at JRS (Atarot) re-open? Will the 73G make an appearance at Milan-Bergamo?

LHLX

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:30 pm

This is very welcome and long overdue! Let's hope they will bring more TLV routes in the future (SXF. STN, MAD, BRU Charleroi, Barcelona-region airports,etc) and not just southern Israel, which has a pretty bad connection to the big population centers of central Israel.

El Al is probably not happy about this, but if our national carrier, and it's low-cost subsidiary UP, want to provide bad service at bad prices...then a company that provides bad service at great prices is a welcome change :)

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Btw Ramon Airport is due to open before Summer, so why FR announces them like Eilat Ovda?

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:39 pm

LHLX wrote:
This is very welcome and long overdue! Let's hope they will bring more TLV routes in the future (SXF. STN, MAD, BRU Charleroi, Barcelona-region airports,etc) and not just southern Israel, which has a pretty bad connection to the big population centers of central Israel.

Indeed. The TLV routes a quite shy and odd. Only BGY is a major "Ryanair airport".

There are many other major "Ryanair airports" which I think could be very successful: STN, MAN, FCO/CIA, BRU/CRL, BCN, SXF, CGN, CPH, LIS, ATH...

But maybe this is just a first attempt.

Joelatbsl

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Any of those routes to Poland should do fine and so will Berlin and FKB. Can't really judge it for the rest, but either they know what they are doing or they will switch and/or close some routes pretty soon again. Nothing unheard of ... ;)

330lover

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm

And typically Ryanair:
incredible launch fare, bookable until 2 Feb midnight.
Well, at least Brussels Charleroi - Eilat Ovda flights do not exist on their website...
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

anshabhi

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Nice to know that! Hope to see a Tel Aviv-Delhi flight in near future!

N14AZ

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Nice, I worked both in Israel itself and the Palestinian autonomous territories... I would love to go back there, e.g. to Nablus (would have to check what they did with the B707 stored just outside the city...)

330lover wrote:
And typically Ryanair:
Well, at least Brussels Charleroi - Eilat Ovda flights do not exist on their website...

??? I cannot find any flights ex HHN. Where did you find them?

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

N14AZ wrote:

They haven't uploaded anything yet. They have announced a bunch of new routes in KRK, MAD and BCN; nothing yet either.

BCN-KRK
BCN-LUX
BCN-PRG
BCN-VCE

MAD-BRI
MAD-GLA
MAD-PRG

KRK-ATH
KRK-GLA
KRK-GOT
KRK-LIS
KRK-MMX
KRK-MRS
KRK-NAP
KRK-NUE
KRK-PRG
KRK-SVQ
KRK-SXF

pompos

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Just noticed a Ryanair jet flying TLV-DUB. A flight I'd love to see more often :)

Is that a positioning flight?

aemoreira1981

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Any odds that Ryanair might seek to buy Arkia to gain more slots into Israel and then sell the Arkia fleet? As an Irish airline, Ryanair could conceivably do Cairo-Tel Aviv routes as well as routes El Al won't touch into North Africa or father south such as Nairobi.

MalevTU134

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Still not bookable....

toxtethogrady

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:51 pm

So after 20 years or so of ignoring Israel, O'Leary has decided to make a big play for the market share. Israel has always been an attractive market. So what changed this year?

MalevTU134

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:54 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Any odds that Ryanair might seek to buy Arkia to gain more slots into Israel and then sell the Arkia fleet? As an Irish airline, Ryanair could conceivably do Cairo-Tel Aviv routes as well as routes El Al won't touch into North Africa or father south such as Nairobi.

I'm confused. When was the last time FR bought another airline? :roll:
Why would being an Irish airline be an advantage for flying CAI-TLV? Which North Africa destinations are you talking about? You do know that most countries in North Africa (in fact, all but Egypt) don't even recognise Israel as a state, have no diplomatic relations, and would be very unlikely to give traffic rights to anybody for flying to Israel? And from a security standpoint, I'm sure Israel would hesitate as well.
Will not happen. Odds are zero.

Have a look at this map and you will understand why:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna ... _of_Israel

usflyer123

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Those routes are very strange. Why so many flights to Poland? I know most of the tourism to Poland is in Warsaw and southern Poland, so why Gdansk and Poznan?
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

dirk88

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
Those routes are very strange. Why so many flights to Poland? I know most of the tourism to Poland is in Warsaw and southern Poland, so why Gdansk and Poznan?

At first I thought it had to do with 737 range with their high-density config, but then I noticed they plan to fly from Eilat to western Europe too.

luftaom

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:59 pm

usflyer123 wrote:

Some related background reading (which quite aside from FR flights to Israel is quite interesting in and of itself):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-17741185
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

TheGeordielad

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Who else can see them opening services to Qatar or UAE from either Eilat or Tel Aviv

MalevTU134

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
Who else can see them opening services to Qatar or UAE from either Eilat or Tel Aviv

Nobody. See my post above, with the link to the Wikipedia page. What is said about North Africa also goes for the Arabian Peninsula.

Not trying to be rude, but have you guys been living in a cave for the last 65 years or so?

Luxair747SP

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Interesting that they will develop LUX that quickly and so far going only after LG destinations, will be interesting in the future where it will lead too.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:30 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:

I can see Eilat - Madinah and Tel Aviv - Riyadh coming soon. :crazy:

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:33 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Nice to know that! Hope to see a Tel Aviv-Delhi flight in near future!

Not a single chance. Ryanair does not fly outside the European OpenSkies area and some associated countries like Israel. Delhi is way out of place for them. I don't know about India, but for some countries (Russia for example) there's a rule that they're only allowed to fly into these countries from their home country. Ryanair, being an Irish airline, is only allowed to fly to Russia from Ireland, not from the rest of Europe.

TheGeordielad wrote:

For the same reason as above, this will not happen. Ryanair sticks to Europe and associated countries and not an inch beyond that. Besides, most of the Arabic world doesn't recognize Israel as a country and therefor does not allow flights to/from Israel.

usflyer123 wrote:

I guess there's lots of Jewish people living there. Besides, southern Poland is (unfortunately) very important in the history of the Jewish people, think of places like Auschwitz.

toxtethogrady wrote:
So after 20 years or so of ignoring Israel, O'Leary has decided to make a big play for the market share. Israel has always been an attractive market. So what changed this year?

If I'm not mistaken, Israel associated with the European OpenSkies area. This gives them the same rights in Israel as in every European country. But this has not always been the case, it's only been introduced recently.

Eindhoven

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 pm

LHLX wrote:

El Al is probably not happy about this, but if our national carrier, and it's low-cost subsidiary UP, want to provide bad service at bad prices...then a company that provides bad service at great prices is a welcome change :)

Don't forget EIN! EIN is also a very important FR base and I would very much like to see EIN-TLV.

fraspotter

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Post Deleted
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

330lover

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:35 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Nice, I worked both in Israel itself and the Palestinian autonomous territories... I would love to go back there, e.g. to Nablus (would have to check what they did with the B707 stored just outside the city...)

330lover wrote:
And typically Ryanair:

Just what I meant, can't find them either.
they announce 'super unseen incredible' fare for bookings until 2/02 (tomorrow), but flights are not bookable yet...

talking about misleading advertising, but hey, the are Ryanair after all...
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

[email protected]

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 pm

330lover wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

330lover wrote:
And typically Ryanair:

Just what I meant, can't find them either.
they announce 'super unseen incredible' fare for bookings until 2/02 (tomorrow), but flights are not bookable yet...

talking about misleading advertising, but hey, the are Ryanair after all...

Clearly just an error.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

usflyer123

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

I guess there's lots of Jewish people living there. Besides, southern Poland is (unfortunately) very important in the history of the Jewish people, think of places like Auschwitz.

Last time I checked there are about 8000 jews in Poland, and most of them live in Warsaw. Plus neither Gdansk nor Poznan is close to Auschwitz.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

lavalampluva

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:01 pm

It's interesting how when European airlines expand from a city...they expand. But on the flip side most of these flights are a day or two a week, not daily.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

dcaviation

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
Last time I checked there are about 8000 jews in Poland, and most of them live in Warsaw. Plus neither Gdansk nor Poznan is close to Auschwitz.

Nazi concentration camps are not only Auschwitz. You might probably not know, but in Poland alone, there were almost 500 German Nazi concentration camps.
Add to it about 100 Jewish ghettos, and you have your answer why other cities are visited besides Warsaw and Oswiecim.

UltimoTiger777

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 pm

So Ryanair flies to a country outside the EU which isn't in the single market, have freedom of movement etc etc?

Guess that makes the threat to leave the UK after Brexit a bit pointless then doesn't it?

MalevTU134

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:30 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
So Ryanair flies to a country outside the EU which isn't in the single market, have freedom of movement etc etc?

Guess that makes the threat to leave the UK after Brexit a bit pointless then doesn't it?

Not at all, since their intra-UK routes will become domestic routes within a non-EU country. To follow your thought, they do not fly WITHIN Israel, but to/from Israel.

Also, their UK-based staff would now need EU work permits.

BasilFawlty

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:33 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Indeed. The TLV routes a quite shy and odd. Only BGY is a major "Ryanair airport".

Odd? Poland has strong ties with Israel, with a huge amount of people travelling between the two countries each year for various reasons.

TheGeordielad wrote:

Apart from you? Nobody! Anyone with a little bit of knowledge of geography and demography will know that such routes will never happen. There's a very good reason why Jordan is the only Arabic country with direct flights to Israel.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

[email protected]

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
It's interesting how when European airlines expand from a city...they expand. But on the flip side most of these flights are a day or two a week, not daily.

And these are , by their nature, low-frequency routes driven by leisure/VFR.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

lightsaber

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Good news. I expect more to be announced soon.

Eventually flights from Israel should go to the prohibited airspace. I'm not expecting soon, but eventually an agreement is either reached or a huge commercial opportunity is overlooked (again).

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

blacksoviet

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 am

N14AZ wrote:
was that the 707-400 with RR Conway engines?

Andy33

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 am

Lets say it again, because clearly people are too excited to actually read previous posts.
There is an open skies agreement between the EU and Israel. That means that EU airlines have automatic traffic rights to fly between any EU country and Israel, and Israeli airlines have automatic traffic rights to fly between Israel and any EU country. This does not mean that Israeli airlines can fly between two airports within the EU, or EU airlines between two airports within Israel.
Nor does it mean that an EU airline can fly to anywhere other than the EU from Israel. To do that they'd need the specific agreement of both the Israeli government and that of the country they want to fly to. As a high proportion of the countries in the region don't recognise Israel as a country, that agreement will be impossible to obtain. Other countries who do recognise Israel might well refuse agreement for flights by airlines registered neither in Israel nor their own country.

Note- for EU in this discussion, read the 28 EU countries plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, who are also party to the openskies treaty.
What happens to traffic rights between the UK and Israel after Brexit isn't known. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe only UK and Israeli airlines will be allowed to operate. Maybe something else again. But If I was Michael O'Leary of Ryanair I would prioritise routes I know I'll be still able to operate in two years time if they prove successful over ones with a big question mark hanging over them.

N14AZ

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:56 am

I still cannot find any flights. Actually, the only flight I find from Tel Avis is Paphos...

blacksoviet wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

No - and sorry for going off-topic to all others not interested - it was a former Israeli Air Force B707-328, initially built for Air France, msn 18246.
Here is more information incl. some pictures I took in May 2012: http://fraaviation.forumsfree.de/t4886- ... -west-bank

blacksoviet

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 am

N14AZ wrote:
I still cannot find any flights. Actually, the only flight I find from Tel Avis is Paphos...

blacksoviet wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

No - and sorry for going off-topic to all others not interested - it was a former Israeli Air Force B707-328, initially built for Air France, msn 18246.
Here is more information incl. some pictures I took in May 2012: http://fraaviation.forumsfree.de/t4886- ... -west-bank

Very impressive looking aircraft. What are they doing with the fuselage? Why is it on stilts? What was the point of removing the wings? I hope Trump rebuilds Gaza Airport so Syrian Air and Ryanair can restart service there. Syrian Air can fly their new A340-300 there. Trump can make Netanyahu pay to re-build the terminal.

345tas

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 am

TheGeordielad wrote:

Apart from you? Nobody! Anyone with a little bit of knowledge of geography and demography will know that such routes will never happen. There's a very good reason why Jordan is the only Arabic country with direct flights to Israel.[/quote]

Air Sinai also operates CAI-TLV.

N14AZ wrote:

blacksoviet wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

I never knew that was there. How did it end up in Nablus, so far from an airport (AFAIK anyway)?

BestWestern

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:34 am

LHLX wrote:

This is a super move by FR and will do well with their mixture of leisure and VFR routes.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:35 am

usflyer123 wrote:

I reckon FR wants to estimulate leisure traffic from Israel to places like Gdansk in summer.

International departures of Israelis are at all time record, and this is mostly due to two factors: 1) lower airfares (hello Ryanair) to Europe and 2) how ridiculously expensive and bad value is Israel in general for a tourist. A lot of people using those Eilat-Bratislava flights and so on were Israelis "self connecting" on the cheap to Western Europe.

Probably FR counts that for someone living in TLV, it might be cheaper to fly to GDN and stay for a week in the area (Poland being very cheap even for someone from Western Europe), than flying to Eilat and stay there. Now there are flights from TLV to places like Valencia, Alicante or Malaga which are more the typical places where Germans or British go on holiday, but Israelis didn't venture before (they just went to Barcelona, Ibiza and "Jewish" cities like Cordoba or Toledo). If they go to Valencia is probably because it is a nice place which offers very good value and better quality when compared to Eilat or the Mediterranean Coast of Israel.

N14AZ

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Very impressive looking aircraft. What are they doing with the fuselage? Why is it on stilts? What was the point of removing the wings?

345tas wrote:
I never knew that was there. How did it end up in Nablus, so far from an airport (AFAIK anyway)?

I answered in this old thread for not going o/t here...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=539225&p=19336357#p19336357

SCQ83
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am

N14AZ wrote:

They haven't put on sale any of the new announced flights this and last week, including all the new routes from BCN, KRK and MAD. That is very weird for Ryanair.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos