Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Pax denied boarding for showing too much cleavage or was for being intoxicated...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Spirit reps claim the passenger was intoxicated, passenger claims it was too much cleavage being shown.
Which is/was the real reason the passenger was removed from the flight from MSY to FLL, is a gray area in the middle:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/02/0 ... avage.html

Revo1059

Re: Pax denied boarding for showing too much cleavage or was for being intoxicated...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Just another reason to never fly that dumpster fire of an airline.

EWRCabincrew

Re: Pax denied boarding for showing too much cleavage or was for being intoxicated...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Always three sides to every story...her side, their side and the truth.
You can't cure stupid

FriscoHeavy

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Sadly, either way...the airline is in the right to not let her board. I wish more airlines would bar less than classy people from boarding. People dress like absolute slobs these days.
Whatever

Bongodog1964

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Completely out of order: The reporting, not the airline or passenger. I clicked on the link expecting to make my own judgement of whether the cleavage was acceptable or not, and all I got was a photo of an A320. I already know what an A320 looks like :banghead:

Bongodog1964

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:23 pm

EWRCabincrew wrote:

Three sides ? Top boob, under boob and side boob. Thats three alright :rotfl:

ozark1

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Revo1059 wrote:

Intoxication and skimpy clothing do not discriminate when it comes to air carriers. It is very easy, now that there are fewer interactions with gate agents, for people to board drunk. Flight attendants are used to those who can mask their inebreated state quite masterfully until they are in their seat and something sets them off. Cleavage had nothing to do with it, alcohol did...i'll bet money on it. I would describe it as flying pains in the butt. I had a guy a few weeks back wave me down to tell me he had left his cell phone in the airport. We were taxiing for takeoff. He was very upset and very animated. It was only at that point that I smelled liquor on his breath. I coordinated with the cockpit. They called the agent and like a team we tried to find his wallet. We checked security, restaurants and other places he had been before getting on board. Nothing. It ended up being in his shoe.

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I happen to work for NK as a gate agent and I will say that the decision to deny somebody boarding is not taken lightly AT ALL. I wasn't there when this situation occurred so I can't speak to what actually happened, but I highly doubt, from all my training and experience in this field, that she was actually kicked off because of her cleavage.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

drgmobile

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm

EWRCabincrew wrote:

"Their" side? Her cleavage may have a story to tell, but it's probably not relevant to the matter at hand.

eal46859

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm

ok.... lets look at the city pairs...was this really unexpected?

scbriml

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

All I can say is...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

11725Flyer

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Where's the picture? We need proof! :?

aviationjunky

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Could it be that she was so intoxicated that her breasts were out, leading her to think it was because of her cleavage, and the airline saying it was her intoxicated actions? In every and all fine print on their website and all reservations it says that they reserve the right to deny boarding for any and all reasons.
LAS is Life

Revelation

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 pm

For those who came to this thread expecting some titillation, be prepared to be disappointed...

aviationjunky wrote:
Could it be that she was so intoxicated that her breasts were out, leading her to think it was because of her cleavage, and the airline saying it was her intoxicated actions?

Maybe she was breastfeeding and got caught out by the boarding announcement and left her baby in the airport? :D
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

United787

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 pm

ozark1 wrote:
I had a guy a few weeks back wave me down to tell me he had left his cell phone in the airport. We were taxiing for takeoff. He was very upset and very animated. It was only at that point that I smelled liquor on his breath. I coordinated with the cockpit. They called the agent and like a team we tried to find his wallet. We checked security, restaurants and other places he had been before getting on board. Nothing. It ended up being in his shoe.

His cell phone or his wallet? Did the plane turn around and go back to the gate or did you just hold on the taxiway?

ua900

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:18 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Sadly, either way...the airline is in the right to not let her board. I wish more airlines would bar less than classy people from boarding. People dress like absolute slobs these days.

It's Spirit we're talking about, what do you expect, three piece suit and a top hat in a 28 inch pitch going for that business meeting from the balmy town of Fort Lauderdale to tropical San Salvador? I miss the days when Spirit used to serve Dom Perignon in F, the Veuve Clicquot they serve these days just doesn't compare. Cheapskates ;-)

You get what you pay for. Buy a NK ticket and you'll get the whole zoo that comes with that experience. Bar "less than classy people" from boarding and NK is gone within a week, along with F9, G4 and WN, except for traffic in and out of SAN of course, since they always manage to stay classy there thanks to the Channel 4 news crew.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

richcam427

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:55 pm

It seems this forum has a tendency to take the side of the employee/airline whenever something like this happens, even without knowing the full story. I'm not exactly sure why. There are flight attendants and other airline employees within the industry that are complete assholes and will call out anyone and everyone for the smallest of things just because they're having a bad day. Does that mean that the employee should immediately be fired or something? No, because we're all human and we have bad days sometime. It's understandable, especially when you have to work with people all day, and people suck, but it doesn't make everything they do automatically right either.

77H

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm

drgmobile wrote:
EWRCabincrew wrote:

"Their" side? Her cleavage may have a story to tell, but it's probably not relevant to the matter at hand.

You sir win the thread.

m0ssy

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:01 am

richcam427 wrote:
It seems this forum has a tendency to take the side of the employee/airline whenever something like this happens, even without knowing the full story. I'm not exactly sure why.

This forum is comprised of many professionals in the industry, who on the outside may go for each others throats in business competition, but against the general public they have many things in common. It's not really all that surprising. You'll find this in any forum with many professionals of the same kind.

Lets face it, there may be people in the industry who should be called out for behavior, but even as a casual traveler, I'd say I've almost never witnessed unprofessional behavior from anyone in the aviation profession. Just the opposite really, but I go out of my way not to be a problem in their presence.
Last edited by m0ssy on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

usflyguy

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am

richcam427 wrote:
It seems this forum has a tendency to take the side of the employee/airline whenever something like this happens, even without knowing the full story. I'm not exactly sure why. There are flight attendants and other airline employees within the industry that are complete assholes and will call out anyone and everyone for the smallest of things just because they're having a bad day. Does that mean that the employee should immediately be fired or something? No, because we're all human and we have bad days sometime. It's understandable, especially when you have to work with people all day, and people suck, but it doesn't make everything they do automatically right either.

This forum vilifies airline employees every single chance it gets. Most people here travel often enough that they see what people do with their own eyes, which leads them to believe the employee/airline.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

FlyUSAir

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:15 am

richcam427 wrote:

Actually most people here (and on the internet in general) villify airline employees. There are plenty of bad fish in the sea, and I've encountered a few myself, but most are hard working individuals who go above and beyond.

Also, a picture is worth a thousand words! :D
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

richcam427

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 am

usflyguy wrote:
richcam427 wrote:

This forum vilifies airline employees every single chance it gets. Most people here travel often enough that they see what people do with their own eyes, which leads them to believe the employee/airline.

Believe me, some people make me want to become an alcoholic sometimes, and if I had to work with them I would probably jump off a bridge, but that doesn't preclude employees from unnecessarily being dicks either. I've personally encountered many flight attendants that would be better off working in a morgue with how lifeless they performed their job, and also some that would be better off retiring altogether to spare anyone else having to work with such a grumpy person. That goes for any industry.

PedroNeto

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:52 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:

Good to know that the airline's employees jobs are to judge people by what they're wearing.
By Pedro Neto

ODwyerPW

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:26 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
Completely out of order: The reporting, not the airline or passenger. I clicked on the link expecting to make my own judgement ..and all I got was a photo of an A320. I already know what an A320 looks like :banghead:

your comment made me laugh!! thanks for the moment of levity. ;)
learning never stops.

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 am

Revo1059 wrote:

The airline has nothing to do with it, I believe any airline would have refused an intoxicated passenger. You just shouldn't drink when you're about to fly, or at least not that much.

As others have already said I don't believe showing too much cleavage has anything to do with it. She could have flown naked and it would not have been a problem as long as she behaved, but obviously she didn't. That's her own fault and nobody elses.

blackbox67

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:51 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Revo1059 wrote:

She could have flown naked and it would not have been a problem as long as she behaved, but obviously she didn't..

Doubtful, too many stuffy prim's underway complaining even about figure-accentuating clothing.
I m pretty sure, the 1970s SWA outfit would cause resentments today.

readytotaxi

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am

Perhaps she was top heavy and would move the aircrafts COG.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

aemoreira1981

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:21 pm

I am inclined to believe the airline. There is always more to the story.

You can't compare her to the Southwest and Pacific Southwest pilots of yesteryear though---the emphasis there was on legs. Those FAs would be more akin to retro pinups.

Guess

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Here's another article on the subject from the Daily Mail. The top doesn't look particularly revealing and the airline stated that the she was bothering other passengers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4178964/Woman-says-cleavage-got-kicked-plane.html

Noris

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm not usually one for innuendo, but I am about to quote some points from the Facebook post, which is embedded in the original link;

drunk

not drunk

young lady

low cut top

bosom was too exposed

I can toss you off

pack of tissues

well endowed

I'll toss you off

get them covered

turned to give it to her

handing her a tissue

sobbing into her hands

it's going to be ok

And here I am ready for more adventures...........

:shock:

Rgds.

ozark1

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:56 pm

United787 wrote:
ozark1 wrote:
I had a guy a few weeks back wave me down to tell me he had left his cell phone in the airport. We were taxiing for takeoff. He was very upset and very animated. It was only at that point that I smelled liquor on his breath. I coordinated with the cockpit. They called the agent and like a team we tried to find his wallet. We checked security, restaurants and other places he had been before getting on board. Nothing. It ended up being in his shoe.

His cell phone or his wallet? Did the plane turn around and go back to the gate or did you just hold on the taxiway?

Sorry for the confusion in my posting. It was his wallet. We were in an ATC hold for 30 minutes on the runway. The captain said we could go back to the gate if i wanted to, but I knew then that he might have not even lost it in the airport. The cockpit called the agents who went to security and a restaurant he said he ate in prior to boarding (obviously it had a bar in it). No luck. He was freaking out. They were able to obtain the lost and found number of the airport and I gave it to him. He was very upset. Ten minutes later he found the wallet in his shoe.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:55 am

richcam427 wrote:

Yes and if you have delt with this on a daily basis you would side with the crew first as well. It's absolutely crazy the rights people think they have in public or on an airliner. Your rights on that plane end when they impede on the other passengers rights.
Last edited by rbavfan on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:00 am

blackbox67 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Revo1059 wrote:

She could have flown naked and it would not have been a problem as long as she behaved, but obviously she didn't..

Doubtful, too many stuffy prim's underway complaining even about figure-accentuating clothing.
I m pretty sure, the 1970s SWA outfit would cause resentments today.

I remember flying around for fun on the 25th anniversary with my friend. She had a crew full of the original uniforms flaying that day. It was great seeing them again. But those boots had to be a pain in the ass they laced up on both sides.

kurtverbose

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:18 am

'too much cleavage'

....sorry I don't understand that concept.

mildaiv

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Try this type of behaviour to customers in other job and you will be kicked imediatly. Its absolutely irrelevant if customer is naked or drunk. Only that matters is if he pays. And you can bet that many peoples behive very disgusting to employes in shops etc.

richcam427

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 am

rbavfan wrote:
richcam427 wrote:

Yes and if you have delt with this on a daily basis you would side with the crew first as well. It's absolutely crazy the rights people think they have in public or on an airliner. Your rights on that plane end when they impede on the other passengers rights.

And what if nobody else's rights are impeded? Then that gives the crew the authority to be out of line?

caoimhin

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

richcam427 wrote:
It seems this forum has a tendency to take the side of the employee/airline whenever something like this happens, even without knowing the full story.

Please pardon the rant. I mean no disrespect to you, but I really feel that these threads conclude that the first draft of the story is necessarily the correct one. And they do so to the detriment of cabin crew members who work very hard to walk the fine line between passenger safety and an uncomfortable confrontation. I have no doubt that these cabin crew members would much rather look the other way and avoid the confrontation. Blessedly, they take their jobs seriously and act in the most risk averse way, consistent with their training.

Respectfully Rich, I see the exact opposite. Consider the weekly accusations of race-based misconduct by cabin crew. In many cases, the evidence is either a Twitter post, a Facebook post, or a tabloid article built around a Twitter or Facebook posts. Look at most posts fitting this template; they're fairly predictable:

00:20 - Thread: WN KICK MUSLIM PASSENGER OFF FOR MAKING FELLOW PASSENGERS UNCOMFORTABLE. Body of post:(weakly attributed story supporting the inflammatory headline. Story includes Tweets posted by aggrieved party and occasionally party member.
00:20.06 - User post 1: Disgusting. Absolutely embarrassing.
00:20.70 - User post 2: Unbelievable that in this day and age a "professional" cabin crew would remove a passenger based only on colour of his skin.
00:21.00 - User post 3: I wasn't there, but there is surely no excuse for this. The people sitting in her row tweeted the same.
00:21.40 - User post 4: Once again, WN shows its reputation as an intolerant airline sickening.

Do any of you reasonably intelligent people honestly believe that there isn’t more to the story than that? The passenger was minding his own business and was told to sod off for being brown? Civil rights protections in the US, UK, and Ireland and more strictly enforced than ever. Without more, these claims don’t smell right.

Lots of silence from you lot after your man Adam Selah, famous for his YouTube pranks, deliberately tried to provoke Delta cabin crew so he could publicize it on YouTube. Until that story was developed, many were convinced he was just minding himself.

As a bonus, some posters use these opportunities to inject equally xenophobic Anti-American rhetoric, because to many on a.net, the US is backwards, and the rest of the world has it all figured out. I'm an EU citizen and I can say that there is an astounding amount of ignorance as to the racial profiling that occurs within EU states. If you don’t acknowledge that, you’re part of the problem.

In the case of this young lady on the aircraft who may or may not have been intoxicated, let’s wait before we start second guessing the decisions of crew. If it’s a surprise to anyone here, you surrender certain civil liberties when you board an aircraft. This cleavage thing may or may not be relevant. Maybe it was the sole reason she was booted. Does that really make sense to any of you? After all the cleavage observed by anyone in a service industry, this cabin crew member decided she would escalate an incident for no other reason other than the passenger’s cleavage? Come on.

Anyone think that maybe she was intoxicated enough to have raised a red flag to the crew, based on protocols and experience? Her seat mates are not professional cabin crew; they’re not necessarily sensitive to the same indicia of intoxication that may result in in-flight incidents.

If the crew abused their discretion, they should and will be disciplined. If fact-finding indicates that they acted properly, that settles that.

The risk here is that when a crew member has an equivocal reason for removal, he or she may feel less likely to act on it for all of the social media rebuke sure to follow. This isn’t a safe practice. These are highly trained crew members that deserve a favourable presumption until their behaviour has been found by investigation to be improper.

Healthy scepticism is warranted where the court of public opinion can cause serious reputational damage to the airline, the specific crew members, and if applicable, passenger private citizens. There is legitimate injustice in the world. When we jump on these sorts of claims without first performing due diligence, we are doing a great disservice to those who are legitimate victims.

KruegerFlaps

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:11 am

mildaiv wrote:
Its absolutely irrelevant if customer is naked or drunk. Only that matters is if he pays.

Airlines have terms and conditions that cover refusal to carry and those conditions include behaviour. The wording may differ, but they are generally along the lines of...

if you are drunk or under the influence of alcohol or drugs,
if you are, or we reasonably believe you are, in unlawful possession of drugs,
if you obstruct, or fail to comply with any direction of, any crew member,
if you behave in a manner to which other Passengers may reasonably object,
if you have used threatening, abusive or insulting words towards our ground staff or a member of the crew of the aircraft or otherwise behaved in a threatening manner,
if you are not wearing footwear.

While most airlines to not publish a complete dress code saying what is and what isn't acceptable, as the example of VA shows, passengers can be refused if they wear clothing containing "offensive" wording or if they reek and haven't seen soap and water for some time. Virgin Australia posts on its web site the following:

Virgin Australia has a list of minimum dress requirements. To board our aircraft Virgin Australia guests must wear:

Footwear (thongs are acceptable) – all adults and children who are capable of walking must wear suitable footwear
Shorts, or a skirt, or pants/trousers – suitable clothing that covers your bottom half
A shirt (singlets are acceptable)
Note: Guests wearing clothing that displays offensive language or symbols will not be permitted on our services. If you do not meet our minimum dress requirements, you will be prevented from travel until you are dressed appropriately.

At least in Australia, and possibly in other jurisdictions, passengers should be aware that boarding an aircraft when drunk is against the law and may result in them being denied boarding. So the argument that all that matters is that the passengers pay is clearly erroneous and ignores the rights of other passengers to travel in safety.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

flipdewaf

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:34 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1339589&p=19025641&hilit=Dubai#p19025641

This is all.

Fred

andrej

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Do we have any photo evidence to decide? :)

tjwgrr

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm

andrej wrote:
Do we have any photo evidence to decide? :)

From NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-claimed-kicked-flight-cleavage-speaks-article-1.2964233
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

WIederling

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm

kurtverbose wrote:
'too much cleavage'

....sorry I don't understand that concept.

Russ Meyer is your prophet then? :-)
Murphy is an optimist

oldannyboy

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm

..similar story, but with a gay titillation twist to it... (sorry for all the straights out there.. :-))
In about 1990 I flew right next to a blond young hunk who was wearing the shortest, skimpiest, unbelievably ruptured&ripped pair of ruggedly cut pair of old 501s (cue 1980s fashion...) with no underwear. And I'm not telling you how I knew he wasn't wearing anything. I mean, it was so "in your face" that it was shocking, even by my standards - and I can tell I'm pretty relaxed about nudity etc. At least two crew members noticed (they were clearly both gay men too) and kept pacing the aisle up and down smiling, to take a peek at the..err.. obvious overflowing of anatomy.. Seriously, it was embarrassing. However, beyond the laughs and the staring, nobody bat an eyelid and the young semi-naked hunk got to London safe and happy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos