Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual777

Re: Trump to Meet with Airline CEOs Thursday

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 am

FlyUSAir wrote:
ual777 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
She didn't go into the details about it. She just said that it was bad. I have read those reviews but it shocks me as I have had very long discussions with the crew on each flight about it. I know another steward who moved from a big Asian airline to DY and he said that DY was not as good as the company that he was originally in but he did say that DY was still quite a good company though. It still shocks me though about the links that your showing me.

The biggest issue I have with carriers like Norwegian (aside from their attempts to play the "direct employment" and flag of convenience game) is their training bond. Emirates practices this as well. They can take a young pilot, dangle a fancy jet in front of him/her and tell them how awesome working for that carrier is. They then say "oh, but we have a training bond" and either require $30,000 dollars upfront for "training costs" that is released after 3 years or go after the pilot in court if they decide to leave. Its doubly difficult in a place like the UAE where unions are outlawed and Emirates can change the "contract" on a whim.

Its very easy for people on anet to say "oh well they signed up for it" but the objective of a recruiting department is to attract candidates and they can and do spin the truth. Common ways are saying they can expect a captain upgrade in a short period of time, promote a lifestyle that doesn't exist, etc. etc.

The practice itself should be outlawed.

You point out that Norwegian and Emirates have this, yet I know first hand most if not all US regional carriers have the same thing, with a worse pay rate. Some that offer these are even owned by AA or DL. Not a good argument.

The only regional I know of that still has a training contract is Mesa and even then its usually not even enforced from what I hear.

SOME regionals are offering large signing bonuses that require a time commitment but that is totally different.

The most outrageous part of a training contract is whether or not you even have a type rating for the aircraft, you are still going to go through the same training program as everyone else.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

HVN2HEL2LAX

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 am

Oh great, they will convince him to contract ATC, dominate the board of advisers (or whatever that con/fraud Shuster called it), kick out any form of competition (ME3, DY, etc.) and have a field day with air fares and taxes. At this point, the airlines are just going to control the market in its entirety.

That said, DY will be able to set-up its OPS in PVD, but the majors using ATC will just ground stop PVD all the damn time.

raylee67

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 am

Aither wrote:
Strangely I never hear the US airlines complaining about Chinese airlines massive routes subsidies... why such a difference with the ME3?

Many reasons.

First, the big-3 Chinese airlines are actually listed companies on NYSE so their financials are openly available, i.e. you know if they are running a profitable business or not.

Second, the subsidies you are talking about are route subsidies like you have said, and they are available to any airlines willing to fly the routes. It's no different than route subsidies given by PDX to Delta to fly to Tokyo. If the US3 have any complaints about those, they will be asked if they are willing to fly Changsha - Los Angeles or Zhengzhou - San Francisco or Qingdao - Chicago. If they are going to fly those routes, they get the subsidies too. Are they willing to step in the ring? They would flee from the scene before they finish hearing the question. I am pretty sure Air China is not given any subsidies to fly PEK-LAX. It just doesn't need to get subsidies to fly those routes.

Third, the subsidies that US3 complain about ME3 is not route subsidies. US3 (and AF/LH) claim ME3's whole operation is being sustained by continuous injection of capital by the respective governments. That is NOT route subsidies. Of course, we all know EK actually is profitable, so that claim doesn't work for EK. However, since Trump only cares about alternative facts, EK must be getting subsidies. But that's the difference.when you ask "why such a difference with the ME3"

Now, regarding China there is probably one thing they can talk about. They never get slots at PEK and PVG to actually start the services they want to start, because the authority claims PEK and PVG are so busy they don't have slots available. But somehow when the CN3 open new routes, they always get the slots. But this is a minor thing. It would not get into the agenda given the other things that need to be discussed.

The cost structure of Chinese airlines are generally lower than US3, but that is absolutely normal, since salary in China in general is much lower. This would be the same for Air India or Egyptair or Philippine Airlines or Aeroflot or LOT. So if US3 wants to complain their competitors have lower salary for pilots and FAs, they will need to complain about that against 90% of the countries.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

ual747den

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 am

ual777 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
ual777 wrote:

This I find odd. Unless the flight attendant was perpetually on reserve or commuting I wonder if he/she worked for an express carrier operating for United. Otherwise it's a substantial cut pay and benefits wise.

If Norwegian was such a great place to work for employees they wouldn't be fighting court cases claiming they aren't the direct employers of their cabin crew, or have such bad reviews.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/201 ... 2c707f5a94

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/OSM-A ... 857857.htm

She didn't go into the details about it. She just said that it was bad. I have read those reviews but it shocks me as I have had very long discussions with the crew on each flight about it. I know another steward who moved from a big Asian airline to DY and he said that DY was not as good as the company that he was originally in but he did say that DY was still quite a good company though. It still shocks me though about the links that your showing me.

The biggest issue I have with carriers like Norwegian (aside from their attempts to play the "direct employment" and flag of convenience game) is their training bond. Emirates practices this as well. They can take a young pilot, dangle a fancy jet in front of him/her and tell them how awesome working for that carrier is. They then say "oh, but we have a training bond" and either require $30,000 dollars upfront for "training costs" that is released after 3 years or go after the pilot in court if they decide to leave. Its doubly difficult in a place like the UAE where unions are outlawed and Emirates can change the "contract" on a whim.

Its very easy for people on anet to say "oh well they signed up for it" but the objective of a recruiting department is to attract candidates and they can and do spin the truth. Common ways are saying they can expect a captain upgrade in a short period of time, promote a lifestyle that doesn't exist, etc. etc.

The practice itself should be outlawed.

It should also be noted that training for pilots and flight attendants is very different. Pilot training takes far longer and is much more expensive. There many airlines worldwide (including the US) that "churn and burn" flight attendants. At some of the regional carriers the attrition rate can be over 50% in the first 12 months. They do it to keep costs down by not having very many senior cabin crew.

If you are at the point in your life where you are applying for the pilot position at an airline you should be responsible enough to make an informed choice and not be influenced by a recruiter. I do not feel sorry at all for these people if they are not capable of making these choices they surely should not be flying a plane they should be at home in their parent's house asking Mommy if they can go out on a date. The same goes for the NAI crew, if it is so bad then people will not take these positions and the concept will not work. I am sick of hearing people on the outside talk about how bad it is for the poor employees working there yet they are fully staffed! People need to start worrying about their own lives and let these adults make their own choice. No one is being forced to work for either of these companies so the outside concern is really not needed.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

strfyr51

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 pm

KVH68 wrote:
Trump should give incentives to airlines to bring aircraft maintenance back into the US. Currently, all of United's widebody heavy maintenance is performed outside of the US.

And? We Have and OWN the Facilities to do the maintenance In SFO and IAH. We don't NEED to contract out our maintenance, Not Airframe? Nor Engine!!

bluefltspecial

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 pm

ual777 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
So how is the spin going to be when Norwegian cancels Billions in Boeing orders and Boeing announces mass layoffs, all for routes that the US airlines would never touch, at the same time as they are not growing and not hiring. That sounds like a great win for the american people and economy.

This is false. The US3 are hiring thousands of pilots every year and have been since around late 2012. That doesn't even include WN, NK, VA, B6, and AS who are hiring full bore as well. They have also been hiring hundreds (if not thousands) of flight attendants, mechanics, rampers, and other staff.

Norwegian likes to trumpet that they hire US workers, but so far it's mostly been flight attendants working on contracts under awful terms. It's been so bad there is already a unionization drive.

They further claim they want to hire pilots for an FLL base, but anyone hired with an FAA license has two years to convert it to an EASA license (a process that costs thousands of dollars and something like 13 written exams).

Oh, and let's not forget that said pilot receives NO retirement plan of any sort, is paid far less than what comprable companies pay in the US, works as a contractor under almost non-existent work rules, and has to sign a $30,000 dollar training bond over 3 or 4 years that forces you to stay as an OSM contractor.

It's a publicity stunt on Norwegian's part and nothing more.

Interesting, how is it you have direct first-hand knowledge of "working under awful terms?" are you employeed there?

What I can tell you in terms of cabin crew / flight attendants working for Norwegian through OSM is that the majority of them are happy and more than happy, they love their jobs, they love their co-workers, love their flights, love their layovers, love working all international, love the 787, love with their pay scale and love their direct managers who they enjoy a great open relationship with.

They are currently on the best first year pay of any carrier operating from the US. The avg first year pay is around $40k a year at Norwegian for US cabin crew, unheard of at the US3 of American, Delta, or United. That is compared with $18-20k at JetBlue and around $30k starting for Delta. There is no "straight" reserve at DY, you get a line after training. While nothing is perfect at any company, especially an operation that is only a few years old, they are doing pretty well at holding their own, hence why things are working and the customers are happy with their service and the employees love their job and stick with it, there is a low turnover rate there.

In terms of Union organization, there are some things that should be understood. A motion for union organization was filed when the company was only a year or two old - when they were still getting their feet and learning how to run a long haul operation. Norwegian originally said since they were not the direct employer that they could avoid responsibility in direct labor relations. This was later deemed to not be the case by a court. But before that happened, Norwegian realized that a lot of changes were needed to make the employees happier with their work environment, everything from pay to work rules to better reflect similar environment at other long haul operations. When the vote for organization was finally agreed to be under the direction of Norwegian wholly not OSM, a decision was made that national mediation board that the only people who could vote were the original employees who filed cards. The problem here was that of the 300 or so people employed at the time cards were signed about 100 original were still employed out of the now 500+ currently employed that would be affected. It was assumed that if the vote had been done in proper order allowing all to vote, it would not been unionized, as most have no major issues with the operation or work conditions.

I would again ask, if you're going to post something in this forum as true information, please be educated on the subject, and have facts to back it up, rather than just posting what you feel is true.

Thanks.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

LAXintl

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Parker says he will not attend White House meeting. Claims it conflicts with previous scheduled company event. :sarcastic:

Seems like nonsense to me. When the president calls, one should attend especially in an industry that is so exposed to government policies from everything from its goodwill, regulations, taxation, route authorities etc.

American Airlines CEO Won’t Attend Thursday Meeting With Trump

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... with-trump

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ThrottleHold

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Looks like Trump has no issue with Norwegian.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mass ... 34096.html

KiloRomeoDelta

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

When EK announced their new ATH-EWR route, the press release explicitly mentioned that it will be operated by a BOEING 777-300ER airplane with GENERAL ELECTRIC GE-90 engines.

It sounded so funny when I first read it, first time some airline specifically mentioning what engines power their plane, but I can see why they did it. Pander, pander to the masses and the orange head that sits in DC.

jonnyclam123

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

One thing is certain rip ATH-EWR

santi319

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:53 pm

This is clearly about the return of Trump Airlines.. I mean he tweets about Nordstrom not selling his daughter's clothes, and no one does anything (conflict of interest anyone?). So a Trump Airlines return with protections from the POTUS is not a far fetched idea.. What have we become..

Prost

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 pm

According to this article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ?ana=yahoo

WN's Kelly also won't be attending, so just Muñoz and Bastian? This doesn't seem right, we need to have all the airlines represented. Certainly an executive VP from AA could pencil an hour or two for the president. I'm not a Trump supporter in the least, but it is in your company's (and shareholders) best interest to have a presence. If WN wasn't invited, I'm gobsmacked. They transport more American's domestically than any other carrier, and they'd have valuable insight. VX and B6 can give great insight on how to start up a carrier against great odds and survive, and how to operate efficiently from delay prone airports.

Just speaking to the CEO's of Delta and United is leaving a lot of important information out in the hallway in my opinion.

strfyr51

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm

we have NO Idea what the meeting is about Nor? Of what it will entail.. Because it's OBVIOUS He Hasn't discussed it with and of YOU. We'll know SOON Enough.
why not "chill" 'till then? I'm Sure it will provide Plenty enough "Spirited" discussion.

airliner371

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 am

Prost wrote:

WN's Kelly also won't be attending.

The article has been updated to say Gary Kelly will in fact be attending. With Kelly there, I can assure everyone, ATC modernization will be brought up, Gary Kelly has made that his "big issue" like the legacies have made the ME3 their "big issue".

VS11

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 am

airliner371 wrote:
Prost wrote:

The article has been updated to say Gary Kelly will in fact be attending. With Kelly there, I can assure everyone, ATC modernization will be brought up, Gary Kelly has made that his "big issue" like the legacies have made the ME3 their "big issue".

What is his proposed solution/idea for ATC modernization? Privatize ATC?

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 am

LAXintl wrote:
Parker says he will not attend White House meeting. Claims it conflicts with previous scheduled company event. :sarcastic:

Seems like nonsense to me. When the president calls, one should attend especially in an industry that is so exposed to government policies from everything from its goodwill, regulations, taxation, route authorities etc.

Yeah, that's a slap in the face, and a pointless one.

Agenda for the meeting does not include the visa ban. Appears the ME3 are on the agenda.

BobPatterson

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:46 am

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Yeah, that's a slap in the face, and a pointless one.

Agenda for the meeting does not include the visa ban. Appears the ME3 are on the agenda.

According to the Bloomberg article a broad spectrum of the industry will be represented:

"Executives from Delta Air Lines Inc., United Continental Holdings Inc. and Southwest are set to attend, along with counterparts from smaller airlines such as JetBlue Airways Corp. and Alaska Air Group Inc. Freight giants United Parcel Service Inc. and FedEx Corp. will be there, as will officials from airports in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles and smaller cities such as Nashville, Tennessee, and Buffalo, New York. Trade groups Airlines for America and Airports Council International will go as well."

No mention, however, of Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao. Simple oversight?

I suppose it would be too much to hope that the meeting would be available as a podcast.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

airliner371

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 am

VS11 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
Prost wrote:

Gary Kelly supports the idea of turning the FAA into a non for profit organization.
https://skift.com/2015/06/15/the-new-pl ... rporation/

VS11

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:50 am

airliner371 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

Gary Kelly supports the idea of turning the FAA into a non for profit organization.
https://skift.com/2015/06/15/the-new-pl ... rporation/

Interesting. Thanks for that. Curious to hear what Trump will say regarding this matter.

CX747

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:57 am

Buy American, Hire American and it seems to have worked for our first contestant Norwegian. Delta is very profitable but I'm not sure how much sway they are going to have in the next 7+ years. They just cancelled 787s, ordered a ton of A330/A350s in addition to A321s. Oh, poor JetBlue.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Aither

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:55 am

raylee67 wrote:

Thanks
Although the foreign airlines can enjoy the same subsidies they can't make most of these secondary routes work unlike the Chinese airlines.
And these Chinese routes would compete on same "1-stop" O&Ds than current US routes. It's still a biased market.
Never trust the obvious

raylee67

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Aither wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

Thanks
Although the foreign airlines can enjoy the same subsidies they can't make most of these secondary routes work unlike the Chinese airlines.
And these Chinese routes would compete on same "1-stop" O&Ds than current US routes. It's still a biased market.

It's just the nature of the market, nothing to do with subsidies or any unfair practices in this particular case. It's like no US airlines will be able to make HKG-BOS work. O&D alone would not be able to sustain that route but O&D+connection traffic can, which makes it work for CX, and only for CX. On the other hand, PVG-DFW or PVG-ATL would be difficult for Chinese airlines. But AA and DL would make them work easily. For Chinese airlines, Dallas and Atlanta would be secondary cities in US. There are three or four primary cities (LAX, SFO, JFK, may be ORD too) in US for Asian carriers and that's about it.

I do think not giving viable slots to US3 at PEK or PVG is an unfair practice though.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

ty97

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

A couple of articles about the meeting and what was discussed (though not tons of detail included in the articles)

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airl ... t-airlines

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... c896eca576

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

There is a reference to the ME3, but no comments about how it was received by Trump. I think that no response is a good first step toward status quo on that topic.

Also,,,

"We want the traveling public to have the greatest customer service and with an absolute minimum of delays," he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airl ... t-airlines

When President Trump met with the airline industry on Thursday, the executives had plenty to complain about: an air traffic control system that is out of date, an airport infrastructure that is failing, computers that are melting down. And in the president, the executives found a sympathetic ear. Airports are getting “the wrong stuff,” he offered. The air traffic control network is “a system that’s totally out of whack.”
Why? “We spent six trillion dollars in the Middle East, we got nothing,” the president offered. “And we have an obsolete plane system, we have obsolete airports.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us/p ... ation.html

VetteDude

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm feeling pretty optimistic, sounds like it went well.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Airport infrastructure and ATC Modernization should top priorities over competition

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 pm

So his B757 pilot is going to head FAA
All posts are just opinions.

flyingcat

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
So his B757 pilot is going to head FAA

If he was an ALPA member they might go for it :duck:

Seriously though Southwest has advocated making ATC a non profit entity separate from the FAA. Maybe an actual ops person would be best. The current head of the FAA only has experience managing outsourced airline call centers for ACS. :lol:

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:08 pm

VetteDude wrote:
I'm feeling pretty optimistic, sounds like it went well.

I said before this happened that if DL/UA even got a whiff of support from Trump on Fair Skies we would see a press release immediately...and if we didn't the silence says a lot.

It appears we got the silence.

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:11 pm

enilria wrote:
Airports are getting “the wrong stuff,” he offered. The air traffic control network is “a system that’s totally out of whack.”
Why? “We spent six trillion dollars in the Middle East, we got nothing,” the president offered. “And we have an obsolete plane system, we have obsolete airports.”[/i]

Here's an irony. The solution to this airport problem is one that the airlines have been blocking, the PFC increase. Trump may smartly stick the knife in the backs of the airlines on increasing the PFC while holding hands with them and smiling about the future. LOL

LAXintl

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I dont think the ME3 argument meant much for Trump.

Saw blurb on Politico that his response to the airlines today was -- yes, but foreign companies even if government backed do lots of important trade with the US and help employ many Americans.
Surely Trumps previous meetings with CEOs of Boeing, GE, pushed this point.

FlyUSAir

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:51 pm

enilria wrote:
enilria wrote:
Airports are getting “the wrong stuff,” he offered. The air traffic control network is “a system that’s totally out of whack.”
Why? “We spent six trillion dollars in the Middle East, we got nothing,” the president offered. “And we have an obsolete plane system, we have obsolete airports.”[/i]

Here's an irony. The solution to this airport problem is one that the airlines have been blocking, the PFC increase. Trump may smartly stick the knife in the backs of the airlines on increasing the PFC while holding hands with them and smiling about the future. LOL

Yep I could see this happening, especially considering I've been hearing support for an increase in the PFC from airport executives for years now and they are starting to push for it again.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

BobPatterson

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Can anyone identify the two persons seated to either side of President Trump and their positions within the aviation industry?.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Here's an article claiming that Trump says he will help U.S. carriers against Qatar and UAE carriers, but reading the quote in the article I don't see the offer of help. It does seem to suggest buy-in on the subsidy argument. There is a video of media asking questions that goes with the article where no comments are made about the ME3 after it was asked if it came up.

President Donald Trump told U.S. airlines he would help them compete with foreign carriers that he said are subsidized by their governments, a crucial signal of White House support for a long-running industry campaign that began in 2015.

“You’ve got a lot of competition,” Trump said at a White House meeting Thursday with the nation’s largest airlines, air freight companies and airports. “A lot of that competition is subsidized by governments, big league.”

commavia

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 pm

It sounds like two of the major focus areas of the meeting were the FAA and ATC modernization, and infrastructrue. That shouldn't be all that surprising, given that these are arguably not that contentious of issues - just about all airlines want better infrastructure, and essentially the entire industry (except Delta) is in favor of an alternative ATC funding mechanism that isn't subject to annual, and political, appropriations.

ordell

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Trump said he wants a pilot to run the FAA.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/t ... faa-234849

Any bets Sully gets the gig?

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:30 pm

First 20 minutes of the meeting is on c-span, Here are his comments about foreign carriers.

I know you are under pressure from lot of foreign elements and foreign carriers, I have been hearing about that a little bit, same time we want to make life good for them also, they come with big investments, in many cases their investments are made by governments but they are still big investments

https://www.c-span.org/video/?423786-1/ ... executives
All posts are just opinions.

apodino

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Trump mentioned today that he feels the FAA should be run by a pilot. I know one name who would have no trouble getting confirmed if he were put up for nomination, but I am not sure he would want to do it. His name is Chesley Sullenburger.

Also, I am very disappointed that Parker didn't go. I know AA had a leadership conference at Flagship U this week...but a meeting of this magnitude and the largest airline in the world cant make time to send someone? Very disappointing. I know they claim politics wasn't involved, but Parker was reportedly a Hillary Supporter.

Prost

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 pm

I just hope Trump didn't feel disrespected by AA. That sort of thing doesn't seem to be forgotten.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

A4A put out a press release.

Parties agreed to focus on 4 main areas:

o Air Traffic Control Modernization
o Regulatory Reform
o Jobs and Economic Impact
o Taxation

Airlines for America Statement on White House Meeting
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlines- ... 00469.html

Pelly

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with the Aviation Industry

"I know you're under pressure from a lot of foreign elements and foreign carriers. I've been hearing that a little bit. At the same time, we want to make life good for them also. They come with big investments -- in many cases, those investments are made by their governments. But they are still big investments."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... n-industry

lesfalls

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Anything about Norwegian by chance?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Prost

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm curious if tax relief will just go towards increased ticket prices.

KarlB737

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Courtesy: Aviation Pros

Following Meeting with Trump, Delta CEO Says Company to Hire 25K

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/12304166/following-meeting-with-trump-delta-ceo-says-company-to-hire-25k

hispanola

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Unbelievably stupid move by Parker. The world's largest airline doesn't attend the big meeting with its home country's leader? Absolutely immature. He's most likely damaged AA's image for Trump. I'm not hating on American, but rather lamenting this potentially harmful mistake made by its CEO. Who's Parker? What on earth is more important than meeting with the US president to discuss the future of your industry? Maybe he should try to represent his employees every so often. Ridiculous. Robert Crandall would have gone.
✈️

LAXintl

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:31 pm

KarlB737 wrote:
Courtesy: Aviation Pros

Following Meeting with Trump, Delta CEO Says Company to Hire 25K

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/12304166/following-meeting-with-trump-delta-ceo-says-company-to-hire-25k

Kinda non-sense statement.

Holly Hagemen pointed out this is nothing more than normal growth. They hired almost 20K people in last 3 years already.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Statement by United Oscar.

Our industry is joined by a common purpose of connecting people and communities. As one of this country's largest employers, I was honored to represent our nearly 90,000 aviation professionals at United Airlines at this morning's meeting.
We share the president’s passion for the tremendous opportunity this country has and his commitment to protecting and creating American jobs. We look forward to working together with the President on the many initiatives and issues that will make America better and the U.S. aviation industry the best in the world. This includes modernizing our aviation infrastructure and cutting the red tape that gets in the way of our industry's ability to deliver the best experience for our employees and customers.

BravoOne

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
Does 'listening session' mean Trump speaks and the airlines listen? Or maybe the opposite?

What if the ME3 are restricted in their access to US airspace on the terrorism bandwagon excuse to put America (the airlines of America) first. Given the Visa debacle this might be retaliation? After all, terrorists only fly Middle East carriers, right? (Sarcasm).

If Trump tries to interfere in a deregulated industry, that isn't going to go down well.

Sandyb123

I love your threats. Hopefully he will change the playing and Boeing doesn't sell another airplane to these folks, so be it.

winginit

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
But lets not kid ourselves that the airlines have been doing any favors for the traveling public, the only notable growth has been competitive responses in top markets while cutting services (basic economy) and dropping service to smaller markets.

The flaw in your argument there is that they've also been dropping prices - significantly, which arguably offsets all of the public detriments that you've mentioned there. People who once could not afford air travel now can. period.

winginit

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 am

LAXintl wrote:
Statement by United Oscar.

Our industry is joined by a common purpose of connecting people and communities. As one of this country's largest employers, I was honored to represent our nearly 90,000 aviation professionals at United Airlines at this morning's meeting.
We share the president’s passion for the tremendous opportunity this country has and his commitment to protecting and creating American jobs. We look forward to working together with the President on the many initiatives and issues that will make America better and the U.S. aviation industry the best in the world. This includes modernizing our aviation infrastructure and cutting the red tape that gets in the way of our industry's ability to deliver the best experience for our employees and customers.

Saying this through gritted teeth no doubt. At the LA chamber of commerce dinner last week he skewered Trump for half of his thirty minute speech.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos