777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation - February 2017

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 am

qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
VA Pushes back B737 Max deliveries to 2019

I think there is a cryptic twist in this. Previously VA referred to its order for the 737 Max8; now it refers simply to 737 Max. I understand the delay helps cash-flow, particularly whilst low fuel prices mean the imperative to upgrade is reduced but I also wonder if this is a prelude to a change from a Max8 to something else such as a Max9 or Max10. There is an argument for the larger model, particularly if VA would like to upgrade the J cabin so there is not such a big gap between J on the A330 and 737 which is obviously an issue on trans-continental services.

There's this speculative piece on VA possibly upgrading J on the 737's

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ness-class

Simply using B738s with a new lie flat seat will reduce the seat count by at least 12-23 Y seats depending on how many J seats. Using B737M-9/10s will retain the current or possibly increase the seat count in Y or J.

If going by the AA A321T is anything to go by (which the -10 will be roughly the same length) then VA or even QF could have a nice premium service similar to the UA B757 JFK-LAX service

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ameri ... 21_new.php

Introduce a J/Y+ (35" pitch)/Y or even a F/J/Y+(35" pitch) and you'll have a very nice BNE/SYD/MEL - PER offering
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

log0008

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 am

Sydney on full ground stop due to weather, multiple flights diverting to Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane. QF64 just went to CBR

a36001

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:57 am

[quote="log0008"]VA to launch Hong Kong flights mid year - tipped to be MEL-HKG. PEK flights to follow (No talk of which Australian city yet but likely BNE or MEL)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... s-mid-year

This is very good news! And about bloody time! Sydney will most likely follow. Will tie in nicely with VS to LHR.

aerokiwi

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 am

777ER wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Simply using B738s with a new lie flat seat will reduce the seat count by at least 12-23 Y seats depending on how many J seats. Using B737M-9/10s will retain the current or possibly increase the seat count in Y or J.

Introduce a J/Y+ (35" pitch)/Y or even a F/J/Y+(35" pitch) and you'll have a very nice BNE/SYD/MEL - PER offering

The disparity at both QF and VA between their widebody domestic J class and narrowbody seat isn't so much of an issue on the shorter flights, but for the fares they charge for transcon I'd be pretty furious at getting the bung ol 737 seat.

Perhaps an opportunity for an specially configured 73G for premium traffic? They still have two in the fleet. I think it cxould probably be justified if they angle the seats to put 6 at the front of a 738, though would reduce overall capacity to, what 140-150?

I'm starting to think that VA needs to become a high-utlisation 737/330 only fleet. Ditch the 190s, send the AT72s to REX or the like and do a franchise agreement, concentrate on 738s (including to some regional destinations) and 330s for transcon/peak time SYD/MEL/BNE and offpeak/weekend leaisure flights to OOL and CNS.

The airline's fleet complexity is doing it no favours and is starting to look Ansett-esque. Tiger's the ideal destination for the older 738s in the fleet, if management is even remotely capable of, well, managing that transition. The only one I'm not sure of is the F100, which appears necessary for intra-WA routes.

Sydscott

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 am

a36001 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
VA to launch Hong Kong flights mid year - tipped to be MEL-HKG. PEK flights to follow (No talk of which Australian city yet but likely BNE or MEL)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... s-mid-year

This is very good news! And about bloody time! Sydney will most likely follow. Will tie in nicely with VS to LHR.

With PER-AUG, MEL-HKG and somewhere - PEK I doubt there is any A330 space left for a SYD-HKG. GIven QF's double daily and CX's services I also doubt VA will be going into there. If they're starting MEL-HKG it makes more sense to do MEL-PEK in my view.

tullamarine

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 am

If VA are commencing MEL-HKG, it will be interesting to see what they do as far as lounge access is concerned. Currently they use NZ for trans-Tasman and will use EY for LAX services. Of course, it is likely that they will use EY again but VA are getting close to the point where they either develop their own international lounge network or join an alliance like Star which would give them access unrestricted access to the NZ lounge.

Obviously the ownership structure for VA can be a bit fractious but it would be good if the various partners could come together and create a common use facility for VA, SQ, EY and HU though this is pretty unlikely.

There is also the option of a third party lounge provider entering the MEL market such as Plaza Premium. There is definitely a market for this particularly as a lot of airlines are currently forced into using the very ordinary QF Business Lounge on a contract basis for want of a realistic third party option.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

benjjk

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 am

log0008 wrote:
Sydney on full ground stop due to weather, multiple flights diverting to Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane. QF64 just went to CBR

It looks like an Atlas 747 diverted to CBR too. When was the last time 2 747's were there at the same time?

smi0006

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:03 am

tullamarine wrote:
If VA are commencing MEL-HKG, it will be interesting to see what they do as far as lounge access is concerned. Currently they use NZ for trans-Tasman and will use EY for LAX services. Of course, it is likely that they will use EY again but VA are getting close to the point where they either develop their own international lounge network or join an alliance like Star which would give them access unrestricted access to the NZ lounge.

Obviously the ownership structure for VA can be a bit fractious but it would be good if the various partners could come together and create a common use facility for VA, SQ, EY and HU though this is pretty unlikely.

There is also the option of a third party lounge provider entering the MEL market such as Plaza Premium. There is definitely a market for this particularly as a lot of airlines are currently forced into using the very ordinary QF Business Lounge on a contract basis for want of a realistic third party option.

I agree and due to EYs product it would be an expensive option for VA to contract to them even internally- can their yields cope with this cost?

I think MEL and SYD both struggle for space, where would they build another lounge? But agree QF needs to do something MEL asap. But a number of agreements are expiring so I'd say will be dependant on their outcomes.

cam747

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:04 am

aerokiwi wrote:
777ER wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I'm starting to think that VA needs to become a high-utlisation 737/330 only fleet. Ditch the 190s, send the AT72s to REX or the like and do a franchise agreement, concentrate on 738s (including to some regional destinations) and 330s for transcon/peak time SYD/MEL/BNE and offpeak/weekend leaisure flights to OOL and CNS.

I agree their fleet is too complex for their size, but they're trying to fix it. The decision has already been made to get rid of the E190's; they'll all be gone by the end of this year (much to my dismay...I love flying in them).

jrfspa320

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 am

I also don't see why VARA couldn't open a small F100 base over east if they want a similar sized replacement for the E-190.
Has any decision been made regarding the VARA A320s?

qf789

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
I also don't see why VARA couldn't open a small F100 base over east if they want a similar sized replacement for the E-190.

As far as I'm aware the VARA A320's are staying
Forum Moderator

kriskim

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 am

qf789 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

As far as I'm aware the VARA A320's are staying

Yepp, they are staying until their leases are up.
A world built upon connectivity.

smi0006

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 am

Stepped into Melbourne airport lift today with 3 Gebtleman from JL and Melbourne airport reps. None of them struck me as operational.... could be nothing. But JL HND-MEL on a 787 would compliment QF to NRT.

zkojq

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 am

Regarding the weather in Sydney:

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyAirport/ ... =3&theater

tullamarine wrote:

Not surprising. The need to reduce CAPEX is ever lingering for VA.

qf789 wrote:

I'd have thought that it would be wiser for them not to spend additional cash on such excesses.

cam747 wrote:
I agree their fleet is too complex for their size, but they're trying to fix it. The decision has already been made to get rid of the E190's; they'll all be gone by the end of this year (much to my dismay...I love flying in them).

The end of this year?? I thought it was the end of 2018? If that's true, I'd better hurry up and book a sector on one!
First to fly the 787-9

cam747

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:40 am

zkojq wrote:
The end of this year?? I thought it was the end of 2018? If that's true, I'd better hurry up and book a sector on one!

Yep I thought it was 2018 too but they confirmed in the ASX release today - whole fleet to be retired by the end of this year :(

log0008

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 pm

SYD's weather earlier has resulted in a number of flight departing after the curfew. Melbourne having a midnight rush with 11 flights between Sydney and Melbourne - not something you normally see this late!

kriskim

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Stepped into Melbourne airport lift today with 3 Gebtleman from JL and Melbourne airport reps. None of them struck me as operational.... could be nothing. But JL HND-MEL on a 787 would compliment QF to NRT.

That's great to hear, there were rumours about JL having a night time flight from MEL last year, however it went quite after QF announced its own daily flights to replace JQ. Hopefully JL will announce MEL services!

May I ask, how did you know that they were from JL?

smi0006

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 pm

kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

That's great to hear, there were rumours about JL having a night time flight from MEL last year, however it went quite after QF announced its own daily flights to replace JQ. Hopefully JL will announce MEL services!

Haha I'm a wanna be detective - all were speaking Japanese, so had a look for luggage tags, nothing. Stepped into the lift and two out of three has JL crane pins on their suit lapels. Melbourne airport reps, were young and trendy- more a sales vibe than operations, but that's pure speculation on my part.

kriskim

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 am

smi0006 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Haha I'm a wanna be detective - all were speaking Japanese, so had a look for luggage tags, nothing. Stepped into the lift and two out of three has JL crane pins on their suit lapels. Melbourne airport reps, were young and trendy- more a sales vibe than operations, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Haha very good detective work! Then it begs the question, why would JL representatives be in MEL anyways? Could they be looking at potential contractors, facilities, meeting with the airport to finalise plans? No doubt JL are interested in launching MEL services and with a growing number of Japanese visitors now visiting Melbourne and the number of Japanese companies having a presence in Melbourne, it may be a good time for them to start. I heard NH are also lingering, looking at adding MEL to expand its presence in Australia.

All I can hope for is for something positive to come out of this!

Qantas16

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 am

kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
kriskim wrote:

Haha very good detective work! Then it begs the question, why would JL representatives be in MEL anyways? Could they be looking at potential contractors, facilities, meeting with the airport to finalise plans? No doubt JL are interested in launching MEL services and with a growing number of Japanese visitors now visiting Melbourne and the number of Japanese companies having a presence in Melbourne, it may be a good time for them to start. I heard NH are also lingering, looking at adding MEL to expand its presence in Australia.

JL to MEL made more sense when QF wasn't flying the route, wouldn't BNE or CNS seem more likely now? QLD has, historically, been the stronger market between Oz and Japan...

log0008

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:52 am

Melbourne is growing very quickly with Japanese tourists at the moment (+33% last year) - faster than the other states. Also note that over the summer JQ has been flying along side QF however that won't happen next year.

kriskim

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:15 am

Qantas16 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

JL to MEL made more sense when QF wasn't flying the route, wouldn't BNE or CNS seem more likely now? QLD has, historically, been the stronger market between Oz and Japan...

That may be true, however the demographic shift is now in Melbourne's favour, the Japanese still love the sun and beaches that Queensland has on offer (plus Sydney's iconic views), however the younger demographic now largely favour Melbourne with its growing hipster, fashion and art culture, in addition to that there's also Philip Island and the penguin parade and Great Ocean Road which remain highly popular with Japanese tourists. Marketing Melbourne to Japan has also been going strong. The Japanese are beginning to love Australia again, numbers are showing that, this time Melbourne and Victoria are in a much stronger position than that in the 1990's with strong growth numbers supporting this.

This time round, I don't think JL is mainly looking at sustaining just a leisure operation, but is also seeking a good premium yield mix, which MEL has historically been higher than BNE and CNS. With JQ handing the NRT route over to QF further evidence of growing premium demand. There's also been a good increase in Japanese business operations in Melbourne, Toll (headquartered in Melbourne) is now owned by Japan Post, other companies with large operations and HQ's in Melbourne also include UNIQLO, Honda, Toyota to name a few. There's also been pushes to forge partnerships and build links with Japanese businesses in Victoria, this will all contribute to sustained demand for services to Japan.

It may seem that JL isn't scared that QF jumped the gun and launched MEL-NRT, QF's MEL-NRT launch seemed rather rushed to me...

bunumuring

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:06 am

Hey guys,
The speculation over Qatar's Canberra plans is certainly intriguing, but begs the question as to why their plans have not been publicised as of yet. If it is correct that they don't want to start until February 2018, there's plenty of time still to finalise plans. But if the earlier plans to commence 'this year' are true, we towards the end of February and still don't know what is going to start within say, the next 8 months. I believe that Qatar has a bit of a habit of announcing routes and making them bookable online within six months so who knows?
I fully appreciate the posters above suggesting that Sydney will somehow 'participate' in these Canberra services. Makes sense what has been said about the bilaterals etc. As someone who may use these services however, I would choose the Singapore Airlines flight to Singapore and onwards (ie one stop to Europe) any day in preference to Qatar offering a Canberra-Sydney-Doha-Europe 2 stop service. There would be no benefit to using Qatar over Qantas/Emirates or VA/EY in that case. So why do Qatar want to do it? Is this really just about another Sydney flight? Prestige? Bragging rights? Freight into/out of Canberra? Dots on a map?
It would be great if Qatar did something creative like Doha-Bali-Canberra and return IF they don't want to do it nonstop, and give Canberrans another nonstop international destination plus another possible 'dot on the map' for Qatar, and another first for an ME3 airline (Bali, that is). Wouldn't be high yielding probably, a Bali route, but I'm sure it would attract a Canberra market in itself.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
PS: the speculation over the VA delay in delivering MAXs and referring to them as simply MAXs rather than as MAX-8s is interesting. Maybe VA is preparing to adjust its order and will purchase MAX-9s or the speculated MAX-10s, alongside some enlarged MAX-7s... Even though the MAX-8 seems to hit the sweet spot! I'm sure Boeing would love VA as a potential MAX-10 launch customer, even if it's just for a partial number of the current 40 MAX orders publicised.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

zkncj

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:23 am

qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

I think there is a cryptic twist in this. Previously VA referred to its order for the 737 Max8; now it refers simply to 737 Max. I understand the delay helps cash-flow, particularly whilst low fuel prices mean the imperative to upgrade is reduced but I also wonder if this is a prelude to a change from a Max8 to something else such as a Max9 or Max10. There is an argument for the larger model, particularly if VA would like to upgrade the J cabin so there is not such a big gap between J on the A330 and 737 which is obviously an issue on trans-continental services.

VA 738 J is below standard on the Tasman, and if not the worst J product on the Tasman.

You can fly NZ PE for half the price, and twice the hard product

qf15

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 am

zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

VA 738 J is below standard on the Tasman, and if not the worst J product on the Tasman.

*Only if your destination is AKL from select Australian ports and not available on all flights.

zkncj

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 am

qf15 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:

*Only if your destination is AKL from select Australian ports and not available on all flights.

From March its on the majority of AKL-SYD/MEL services. The issue is more that VA sells and markets an product as Business Class at the same price as NZ,QF,EK ($800-1200ow).

Yet the hard/soft-product is no where near the same level as NZ,QF,EK on routes that have J class on the Tasman, either they need to:
- Upgrade they hard/soft product
- Or re-price there fares, to bring them inline with the product offered.

While NZ doesn't have J/U on the A320s, they aren't trying to sell as having those products. We're VA is selling J class, just like they are anyone else on the Tasman.

VA Tasman Business should be marketed as an Business Lite product, it doesn't even have in seat IFE an tablet is an joke. Its a choice between watching an movie or eating your meal.

nuke

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 am

a36001 wrote:
Does anyone living close to Sydney airport (I live in Erskineville) heard the Toll 737-300 take off late at night? Its usually from 34L at around 930pm.

The reason I ask is because for a 733 it's has the most unusual noise. Almost like it's flying with its RAT out (yes I know 737's don't have ram air turbines) but that's the sound it makes. I've never heard a 300 model make this sound, is there some modifications to these aircraft? Might be a hush kit, if so they're better off without it.

It's ZK-TLJ, 737-400. Not sure what the reason of the sound is, but you're right, it definitely doesn't sound like the 737 classics normally do. My best guess would be there's a chip in one of the fan blades that is causing a disturbance in the airflow around it. It's only happened in the last few months (didn't sound like that when it first started flying for Toll), but it has been ongoing so it can't be anything serious, and the pilots would surely be able to hear it. Here is a video of it departing Perth in December making the sound once it spools up.

https://youtu.be/98osk0VRlWQ?t=2m57s

Compared to what the other 737 classics sound like.

https://youtu.be/pvWdF90e0Uw?t=1m46s

I also took a video of it taking off from where I live, it is very noticeable here.

https://youtu.be/kYntIoxKXdM

Interesting nonetheless!
Dependable Engines.

EK413

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:19 am

benjjk wrote:
log0008 wrote:

It looks like an Atlas 747 diverted to CBR too. When was the last time 2 747's were there at the same time?

QF64, QF122, QF146, QF513, Atlas diverted. Canberra struggled to handle 1 x B744 let alone 2!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

RyanairGuru

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 am

Where did they park in Canberra? Normally weather diverts park on the Fairbairn ramp in which case 3 737s and 2 747s is definitely not a "struggle" by any stretch. As an airfield Canberra has plenty of runway to take anything and ample ramp space for multiple 747s. If they were to unload three aircraft simultaneously into the "international terminal" though then that is when things would get quite interesting.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf789

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 am

Forum Moderator

6thfreedom

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:44 am

kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

JAL will likely launch MEL later this year, with a schedule complimentary to Qantas given their partnership.

Likely schedule will follow that previously operated by JQ.

Out of NRT in the morning, departing MEL around midnight for an overnight flight.

With existing codeshare arrangements, this makes sense.

will it be NRT or HND?

a19901213

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:02 am

I would say NRT. If they manage to secure a slot in HND they'll probably allocate it to SYD flight first

kriskim

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:35 am

6thfreedom wrote:
kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

JAL will likely launch MEL later this year, with a schedule complimentary to Qantas given their partnership.

Likely schedule will follow that previously operated by JQ.

Out of NRT in the morning, departing MEL around midnight for an overnight flight.

With existing codeshare arrangements, this makes sense.

will it be NRT or HND?

Strangely enough, QF doesn't code share with JL nor does JL puts its codes on QF's flights from Australia, JL only places it's code on JQ Australia-Japan flights. The only code sharing they do is viaSIN where pax fly to SIN on QF metal then connect onwards to JL.

JL currently code shares with JQ on the current MEL-NRT flights (due to end and fully hand over to mainline QF) but not QF's own daily flights.

Hopefully HND, but it's not very likely as JL was planning on flying to a second Australian destination and transferring SYD over to HND. That was before both QF and NH started SYD-HND.

log0008

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 am

Yeah I can't see them going to HND when they don't from SYD. Lets hope we see them by years end :)

Dutchie123

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:12 am

re comments about virgins business class across the Tasman, I am a Qantas platinum first member who prefers virgin to nz. I fly this route 3 times a month mainly to Mel from Chc. The service is impeccable. Feels more comfortable than qf, and in contrast to ek only 8 passengers in the cabin.
Cheers

EK413

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Where did they park in Canberra? Normally weather diverts park on the Fairbairn ramp in which case 3 737s and 2 747s is definitely not a "struggle" by any stretch. As an airfield Canberra has plenty of runway to take anything and ample ramp space for multiple 747s. If they were to unload three aircraft simultaneously into the "international terminal" though then that is when things would get quite interesting.

Scheduled basis perhaps they can handle multiple B747's but at short notice CBR struggled & I know for a fact this was the case.

EK413

VapourTrails

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 am

Multiple diversions to CBR this evening, I assume it is due to a weather event at SYD?

Polar Air Cargo 747 and JQ A321 and some 738. I was fortunate enough not get caught up in the unfavourable weather patterns of late, as I was on a SYD-CBR today, but I missed seeing the two 747 at CBR two days ago due to being out of town for that one. :irked:

The CBR Facebook page had photos of 747 parked on the Fairbairn ramp on Friday but IMHO it would not take long before the airfield was at full capacity with five+ diversions, and a couple of 747 I would think..

Seven diversions and counting.. :coffee:

log0008

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Multiple diversions to CBR this evening, I assume it is due to a weather event at SYD?

Polar Air Cargo 747 and JQ A321 and some 738. I was fortunate enough not get caught up in the unfavourable weather patterns of late, as I was on a SYD-CBR today, but I missed seeing the two 747 at CBR two days ago due to being out of town for that one. :irked:

The CBR Facebook page had photos of 747 parked on the Fairbairn ramp on Friday but IMHO it would not take long before the airfield was at full capacity with five+ diversions, and a couple of 747 I would think..

Seven diversions and counting.. :coffee:

Yep, storms again in Sydney - cleared now and flights getting in again. Now for the rush to get those flights out of CBR and into SYD before the curfew.

RyanairGuru

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:49 am

I guess you need to define what "struggle" means to you as we clearly have very different definitions.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I guess you need to define what "struggle" means to you as we clearly have very different definitions.

We can go back and forward with this discussion I know "fact" flights requested CBR as alternate until the weather cleared & had received instructions to turn back to MEL / BNE.

EK413

getluv

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Any new destination announced by JL to Australia, will most likely be from NRT.

All HND slots are reciprocal. If it was HND, another slot will be given to an Australian carrier.
I'm that bad type.

jupiter2

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 pm

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

We can go back and forward with this discussion I know "fact" flights requested CBR as alternate until the weather cleared & had received instructions to turn back to MEL / BNE.

EK413

Of course that may have nothing to do with airfield capacity but maybe a diplomatic requirement, or something similar at the time.

VapourTrails

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:44 pm

EK413 wrote:

EK413

That is interesting, thanks. I wonder then if we'll see more of this as CBR of requested alternate choice then. If so, then more of the planning processes will be there?

Actually, IIRC now it was six diversions and one turnback.

DeltaB717

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 am

Re: JL in MEL
Anything that is being discussed now between JL and any kind of Australian partners (airports, ground handling, catering, etc.) can only be for NRT or a non-TYO port. There are only seven weekly HND-Australia frequencies available to each of Japan's and Australia's airlines, and these are already in use with NH and QF on HND-SYD.

Re: Friday diversions to CBR
As it was when I drove past the airport at around 6pm or thereabouts, the QF B747 was on the Fairbairn apron along with 2x QF B738s (presumably the two inbound from NZ). The Atlas B747F and a VA B738 were parked along B between N and P. The other 3x VA B738s, 2x QF B738s and the QF B717 were presumably parked at or near the terminal where they didn't stand out from the road.

qf2048

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 am

Fly Corporate today commenced it's BNE-OAG service.

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/s ... in/?cs=103
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

Qantas16

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:24 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
Anything that is being discussed now between JL and any kind of Australian partners (airports, ground handling, catering, etc.) can only be for NRT or a non-TYO port. There are only seven weekly HND-Australia frequencies available to each of Japan's and Australia's airlines, and these are already in use with NH and QF on HND-SYD.

As it was when I drove past the airport at around 6pm or thereabouts, the QF B747 was on the Fairbairn apron along with 2x QF B738s (presumably the two inbound from NZ). The Atlas B747F and a VA B738 were parked along B between N and P. The other 3x VA B738s, 2x QF B738s and the QF B717 were presumably parked at or near the terminal where they didn't stand out from the road.

JL could launch HND-MEL (if they got the frequencies) and that would allow QF to change either MEL or BNE to HND. I assume, long term, QF would love to move all Japan operations to HND.

qf789

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

SQ to downgrade SQ217/218 SIN-MEL from A388 to A359 from 1 May to 30 June 17

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airl ... n-may-june
Forum Moderator

Ditzyboy

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm

bunumuring wrote:
It would be great if Qatar did something creative like Doha-Bali-Canberra and return IF they don't want to do it nonstop, and give Canberrans another nonstop international destination plus another possible 'dot on the map' for Qatar, and another first for an ME3 airline (Bali, that is). Wouldn't be high yielding probably, a Bali route, but I'm sure it would attract a Canberra market in itself.

Emirates has operated DXB-DPS since 2015.

DeltaB717

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

JL could launch HND-MEL (if they got the frequencies) and that would allow QF to change either MEL or BNE to HND. I assume, long term, QF would love to move all Japan operations to HND.

I'm sure you're right, but I can tell you with 100% certainty it's not something that's on the cards.

There is also a further restriction on Australian carriers using HND which is related to arrival and departure slots which, from memory, states that Australian carriers can only be awarded slots between 2200 (or 2300, I can't quite remember) and 0600, hence the scheduling of QF25/26. Combined with the nightly shut down of public transport to/from HND, these slots are by far best used for an early morning arrival and a late evening departure, as QF does now, but that makes it terrible for aircraft utilisation. This is even less on the cards than additional HND frequencies and is definitely not as simple as "we'll give you seven if you give us seven".

getluv

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

The HND slot times are reciprocal in every aspect. It's why NH has a 787 sitting in SYD all day and depart/land at similar times to QF25/26.

While it is horrible utilization, the premiums prices on the HND services makes up for it.
I'm that bad type.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos