Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cduluk
Topic Author

Is it legal to aim police LIDAR/LASER gun at airplane to measure speed?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi all!

Do any of you know, or could you help me find out, if it's legal (or illegal) to aim a police LIDAR/LASER GUN at an airplane taking off or landing at an airport in the US?

LIDAR/LASER guns are different than RADAR in that laser guns use light to measure change in distance, while radar uses sound.

I am NOT talking about laser pointer lights.

I just picked up a police LIDAR gun and would LOVE sitting at the end of my local runway to track the speeds of aircraft taking off and landing. It can detect almost any object within 2,000 ft range.

Thanks for any and all input!

headlessmike

Re: Is it legal to aim police LIDAR/LASER gun at airplane to measure speed?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 pm

I do not know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to point out that radar uses radio waves and not sound. Sonar uses sound.
Last edited by headlessmike on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 pm

I would think as long as the beam is not in the visible spectrum that it should be fine. But consult the FAA first, before doing anything.

Although, I did hear a story where a USMC plane buzzed a cop car in Texas that startled the cop so much he wrote to the nearby Naval/Marine base about the incident. Some Marine/Navy high up replied to the cop saying he is be the radar-guided weapon system didn't lock on to the cops radar gun. :D

I wouldn't think there were any live weapons on the jet, but it's funny nonetheless!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cduluk
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Haha, that's a funny story.

Sound, sound waves, I was just differentiating the light LIDAR uses vs guns governed by the FCC.

tb727

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I remember a couple days after USAir 427 there was a police car pulled over on I480 about 5 miles West of CLE and he was out of his car on the shoulder of the freeway pointing at an airliner that had just taken off, straight up. I don't know what he was trying to do but I'd imagine he wasn't very successful at getting a speed.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

radargeek

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Over The Horizon Radar systems/installations deliver a powerful punch, many times targeted to a narrow geographical location. I cannot recall any "incidents" as a result of their use, other than creating havoc when utilized in HF aircraft communication bands.

Woodreau

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Some Marine/Navy high up replied to the cop saying he is be the radar-guided weapon system didn't lock on to the cops radar gun. :D

Probably wouldn't work. Police radar guns and the radar on radar guided weapons are on different frequency bands. Most active radar guided weapons are I/J band emitters in the 7-17Ghz range.

Now if the weapons are laser guided there is a chance of the weapon homing in on the laser designator instead of the lased target if the weapon is released in the wrong direction.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

DLPMMM

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:59 pm

Police laser speed measuring equipment is eye-safe, otherwise the police would not be allowed to use it on public roads. There should be a sticker on the device stating that it is Class I by CDRH standards.

No danger to anyone, so have fun.

cduluk
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 am

So class I indicates that it is safe for civilian use?

nikeherc

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 am

It probably is, but if you sit at the end of a runway pointing anything vaguely gun-shaped at an airplane, be prepared for more questions than you want to answer. Possibly, even several interviews with people with badges and guns, who are likely to be very skeptical.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

LH707330

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:06 am

Your measurements will likely read slow anyway, google "cosine effect."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos