Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nicholasjet
Topic Author

Air France 787-9 Now Flying To London - New pics

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 am

I know that airfrance has started flying it's 787-9 to LHR T4, but if you haven't seen, there are some great shots of the inside of it here:

https://thedesignair.net/2017/02/06/exc ... nce-787-9/

I have to agree that the premium economy seat is uncomfortable compared to other designs.

LAX772LR

Re: Air France 787-9 Now Flying To London - New pics

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 am

nicholasjet wrote:
I have to agree that the premium economy seat is uncomfortable compared to other designs.

...are you making that call based on pictures?

Because if that's the criterion we're using, I'd have to disagree.
Though haven't sat in it yet, so can't rebut anyone's personal experience.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

essiejosie

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 am

How about the Business Class seat?

nicholasjet
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm

It was more to do with the fact I've flown the premium economy seat. I couldn't get comfortable. As for the business class seat, i don't know. I've not tried it, but it certainly looks nice.

FlySSC

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 pm

The premium economy seat in the B789 is completely new and much more comfortable that the original one.

usdcaguy

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Looks fantastic. Best cabin I've seen in a long time. Is it just me, or is their Premium Economy cabin reminiscent of their old business cabin?

Rajahdhani

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Looks fantastic. Best cabin I've seen in a long time. Is it just me, or is their Premium Economy cabin reminiscent of their old business cabin?

True First, is dying in exclusivity - and with AF moving from the 2-3-2 arrangement (available on the older 777s), to 1-2-1 in Business - 'odd', that the same seating arrangement would then serve the newly created niche.

My only questions would be;
1). Does this not lose quite a few seats, in the Business Class cabin? How will that affect yields? Without the new business class seats - would AF have been able to achieve the older 777-style 2-3-2 layout? Or would space have been problematic?

2). Perhaps more experience travelers will be willing to chime in a little - in providing the service standards, and quality - of business class (as it progressed from entry in to the market - to where it is now...). How has 'Business Class' changed, over the years?

EddieDude

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Awesome! Glad to see AF already operating its new bird.

I will soon have the chance to fly the AF A380 in W, so expect a trip report. The conclusions I have come to with respect to the premium economy seat of AF on the A380 (and 777s, etc.) is that it is good for watching the IFE or lounging but somewhat bad for sleeping. I will have my own opinion soon and I will share it.

And yes, the 789 has different premium economy seats. It is possible to tell by comparing pics side by side. Hopefully the seat installed in the Dreamliners is much more comfortable!
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

parapente

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:18 pm

I Think is whether it be Air France or any other major carrier (but these pictures are excellent examples).Todays Business Class and a flat bed totally fantastic.Premium Class.Again a great product (as long as they have a foot rest - most do).Fantastic improvements over the years by most carriers.But then poor old economy with smaller seats than the past.Not everybody can afford £X2 for premium.I do think there is a market for a real Y+.On a 787 it would be X8 across ( circa 18.5 ins) and charge perhaps 50% more.I think it would be popular for anyone wanting more than a rock bottom (literally) price.

AAIL86

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:10 pm

essiejosie wrote:
How about the Business Class seat?

I flew the new seat last summer on the 77W, IAH-CDG. I found it excellent, better then what BA, UA, LH, KL, EK(777) and TK offer from here.
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

PaulYUL

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 pm

I will fly the AF 789 in August between YUL and LYS via CDG - I knew that AF was supposed to operate the 789 to Montreal during the summer bit I was surprised to see that the tag on flight between CDG and LYS was also operated by the 789 rather the usual A32x aircraft. I assume that it is for pilot training

goldorak

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 pm

nicholasjet wrote:

nicholasjet wrote:
It was more to do with the fact I've flown the premium economy seat. I couldn't get comfortable.

FlySSC wrote:
The premium economy seat in the B789 is completely new and much more comfortable that the original one.

Indeed. No comparison
The W seat in all AF long-haul fleet except B789 is OK for a day flight if you do not want/need to sleep but is absolutely horrible for a night flight if you want to sleep. But, the B789 has a revamped W seat. I tried it briefly during one of the inaugural flights and it is a great improvement. They have finally corrected the main inconvenient of their seat. I now simply hope that they will retrofit the rest of the fleet with this new version of the W seat, but I have doubts....

Rajahdhani wrote:
1)would AF have been able to achieve the older 777-style 2-3-2 layout? Or would space have been problematic?

You cannot have 2-3-2 layout in the B789, but 2-2-2 could be done like in the A330 or A340. But 1-2-1 is now the standard for J class (direct aisle access for all pax).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos