Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

folharth

Re: Air Canada reveals new corporate livery

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am

From YUL :

kjeld0d

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 am

Should have stuck with the 90s livery. (74M and Kai Tak too)

The best variation of the 90s livery, a specially painted 763 called "Free Spirit".

The design was created by Iroquois artist Arnold Aron Jacobs to promote tourism to Canada's Aboriginal communities.

UWPAviation

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 am

Does anyone know how quickly we will start seeing the new livery on Air Canada planes?

flyoregon

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 am

It's crazy to think some person/agency was paid a pretty good amount of money to come up with this...unless they went to Fiverr and paid a high school graphic arts intern.

Black and white is nice on some, like Air New Zealand, but this is just terrible. It's not clever, it's not colorful, it's not representative of any sort of landscape except for that possibly found only in hell, and it's just boring. The thought process on this is dismal at best, and I can't understand how any designer could look at this and think, 'Oh, well that looks brilliant. Best work I've ever done.' Yeah, if you've only doodled rudimentary circles and squares on lined paper during math class.

The wooden stand the model is perched on has more creativity in it than this paint job does.

ACCS300

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am

VC10DC10 wrote:
voodoo wrote:
If you want to see all the a/c (sans C Series) in the livery drawings are in this .pdf :

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/media/livery/illustrative_guide_en.pdf

Did anyone else notice that the topological route maps echo the design of Air Canada route maps from the late 1960s? Compare pages 10 and 11 of the PDF with this: http://www.departedflights.com/AC080167.html

Yes, and I love it!!

I think the whole livery ( and the route map ) speak retro to me and reminds of AC of my childhood. Favourite elements of the new livery ; the return of the Roundelle on the tail, the bandit mask and the departure of the 'digital-leaf toothpaste' scheme which never worked for me. This is pure elegance, speaks world-class-flag-carrier all the way!

ZeeZoo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:50 am

EA CO AS wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
I like it. It reminds me of the classic BA Landor livery.

It looks nothing like Landor...

And yet there are at least three members so far - myself included - that immediately were reminded of the BA Landor livery when seeing this.

And yet someone who saw the Landor livery day in, day out for several years can't find a resemblance at all.

You've gotta be kidding me. Not even the same colours.

Flexbird

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:05 am

I am, sadly, not a fan of this new design. I think it is too much of a throwback to the 1980's roundelle and the late 90's dark tail. I wish they'd have opened the design concept to the public as I've had gladly tossed in my 2 cents (it would have also had the benefit of putting their brand in the general public's mind).

Going with what they came up with, I'd have put a big red maple leaf roundelle on the undercarriage (much like the "Emirates" logo on the A380 undercarriage) and maintained the fuselage and engines in the minty toothpaste color. It would be unobtrusive while on the ground but would be quite an identifier while in the air. I'd have also preferred if the bandit/raccoon eyes were a little less pronounced. I'd also have just inverted the Rouge logo and made the Maple Leaf red on the black background.

Just my 2-cents for what it's worth.

ZeeZoo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 am

skipness1E wrote:
Btw, in what sense is this supposed to be like BA's 1984 Landor scheme?

Thank you! I can't find a resemblance at all and I used to see Landor day in, day out as a kid.

avi8

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

The CS series will look absolutely fantastic with this livery. I feel like it's a badass livery. I honestly did not like it at first. However, it looks slick, simple and with character, if that makes sense.
avi8

aerolimani

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:11 am

flyoregon wrote:
It's crazy to think some person/agency was paid a pretty good amount of money to come up with this...unless they went to Fiverr and paid a high school graphic arts intern.

To be fair, this was probably a whole lot of "design-by-committee." Designer has a meeting with client, and then does some mockups. They get submitted for review by a client committee. Committee looks at it. Everyone on the committee wants to feel important, so they come up with something "clever" to say about it. It goes back and forth a few more times. The designer does their best to keep some aesthetic unity and style, but in actuality, most of the designer's job becomes how to write statements about all the design elements so that the client feels they get their money's worth out of it.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 am

They could have raised the black band so that it goes right up under the windows, similar to the BA Landor livery. That will make it less bland than the current DL-inspired livery.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Motorhussy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 am

Love the black eye-mask, looking very A350.
come visit the south pacific

ek241yyz

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:03 am

Motorhussy wrote:
Love the black eye-mask, looking very A350.

Looks nothing like the A350.

It's meant to pay homage to Canadian Birds.
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

KTPAFlyer

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 am

RL777 wrote:
This also reaffirms my thoughts that the "raccoon" eyes don't look right on anything other than the A350.

:checkmark:

It would probably be alright even on the 787, but this looks like the most half-assed job I've ever seen. Airbus did a meticulous job so that the windows blend in seamlessly, but the stretched windows look horrendous. To me, this is by far the worst part of the livery.

KrustyTheKlown

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 am

Nice livery for a corporate jet, but not for a flag carrier

coolian2

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:

And yet there are at least three members so far - myself included - that immediately were reminded of the BA Landor livery when seeing this.

And yet someone who saw the Landor livery day in, day out for several years can't find a resemblance at all.

This forum has a rather weird fetish with the BA Landor livery, one of the most "why should I be excited?" liveries of all time. Just ignore them.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

American 767

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:15 am

The only thing that I don't like too much about this livery is the black mask around the cockpit windows, it makes the airplane look like Zorro. So I would remove that. But other than that it is a very nice livery, it resembles Delta's current livery that was unveiled ten years ago.
Ben Soriano

CanadaFair

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 am

Looks menacing and unwelcoming, also very unprofessional for a major brand, it seems lie a bad copy of Delta livery, when I saw thumbnail image on homepage thought why is a DL A321 uninspriring pic at number one spot.

ryan78

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:25 am

UWPAviation wrote:
Does anyone know how quickly we will start seeing the new livery on Air Canada planes?

I would assume at an average pace for mainline aircraft, whenever they go into heavy maintenance or when there is slack in the schedule. The AC Express birds will be that last to get the paint jobs for sure. There is still Dash 8-100's, 300's and CRJ's with the old 2001 Jazz liveries on them. It's been almost 6 years since the first "Express" branded aircraft was painted!

BawliBooch

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:49 am

Yeeesh!

How hammered was the creative team at Air Canada when they came with this FUGLY livery? Seriously!

Or is this El-Bandido livery, the AC managements way of telling Canadians they will continue to be ripped off?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

CXB77L

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:04 am

I seem to be among the minority here that prefers the old blue livery, which looked fantastic and instantly stood out as being AC. It's also quite adept at camouflaging in its native environment :smile:

Boeing 777 fanboy

77H

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:20 am

Airbus called and wants their raccoon eyes back.

As far as the livery representing Canada's landscape, I suppose the mostly white fuselage represents of all the snow, the black, indicative of the long, dark winter nights and the red indicative of it's populace's rosy cheeks from the harsh winter cold. Overall, the livery reminds me of the Norsefire Party scheme in the move V for Vendetta.

77H

CX747

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:23 am

The new livery is very sharp, clean and professional looking. I really like the black anti glare paint around the cockpit windows.

This reminds me of the BA Landon livery due to the contrast between the white and black which is similar to how the Landor scheme looked. Different colors, but white/black and off white/navy blue aren't too far off.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

rbavfan

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 am

KarelXWB wrote:

Like it overall, but the leaf on the front is too much. should just be on the tail and underbelly. Mind you the dark underbelly & red leaf will require a lot of touchup as dark colors on the bottom nails United in the Battleship colors. The show degree damage quit fast.

ac7e7

Re: Air Canada reveals new corporate li

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 am

Cyow wrote:
Not a fan of the design. Dark and depressing. So much potential - major FAIL. Where is black in Canada's colours? Red/White and then the old Canadian Red Ensign (blue, yellow, green) - but black?

Just proof that AC is a poorly led airline. Please Canadian Airlines, rise from the ashes.

Really? It is a poorly run airline because you don't like the livery? That is your proof? The airline is profitable, it has labour peace for the next decade, not flying money-losing routes just for the sake of market share, new modern fleet. What will it take for you and all the other AC haters out there to move on and stop living in the past?

Canadi>n/CP was a financial disaster. Even AA couldn't dig them out of the hole. We all look back and believe those were the good old days. In fact, they were the opposite. Airlines like Southwest and Westjet forced legacy carriers to adapt to a lower cost structure, or die. I believe Air Canada has achieved just that. Their leadership team are delivering value to shareholders.

Today, Westjet is no longer the low-cost carrier they think they are. Their costs are rising and they are acting very aggressively to prevent new competitors from gaining a foothold domestically. Westjet is practicing the very thing they accused AC of doing to them 20 years ago. They have an identity crises, and it shows in their rising costs, labour relations, and their recent troubles flying internationally. Air Canada is consolidating its success over the past few years by updating its brand and moving forward. Like the livery or hate it, Air Canada is moving in the right direction.

Time for the AC haters to move on to something else.

Flightsimboy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 am

CXB77L wrote:
I seem to be among the minority here that prefers the old blue livery, which looked fantastic and instantly stood out as being AC. It's also quite adept at camouflaging in its native environment :smile:

The AC ice blue (Is that what it is called) was great especially on the Dreamliner and 777-300ERs. Haven't spotted much in two years but watching those 777s land against a blue sky was amazing. Didn't get to see the dreamliners much. But the blue was great on these.

These new colours makes me suddenly feel I've been transported to the future, though the colours are retro. A bit too futuristic lol. Those racoon eyes. Oh well only time will tell.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

LANA343x

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 am

I love it and hate it a the same time. Why? Well, the icy blue livery was simply outstanding ANYWHERE at any weather. Everyone could tell it represents Canada (not only for the leaf and the title) but also for the ''coldness'' of the livery. I really like the new livery, it's really elegant and the eyeliner cockpit looks incredily versatile. The black looks really good also...

However, it is really similar to Delta or British Airways current livery, specially on those B789 renders... and also I don't really feel it represents Canada as much as the icy blue did. Greetings.
The Southern Chile Flyer

N415XJ

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 am

I think that this would be way, way better. Sort of like a refreshed 70s livery. I'm partial to the racoon eyes, so I kept them- I think they look much better when they're balanced out by the red elsewhere on the fuse. Excuse the low quality- this was just a quick edit.

TheLion

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 am

drgmobile wrote:
...the new fleet livery was designed by international design firm Winkcreative..."

Wankcreative more like :shakehead:

Boeing778X

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:20 am

I guarantee half of you who are crying over this will end up liking it within a year.

I like it. It's a modern refresh with some great ideas, no doubt turning to ACs past and Canada itself for inspiration.

N415XJ wrote:
I think that this would be way, way better. Sort of like a refreshed 70s livery. I'm partial to the racoon eyes, so I kept them- I think they look much better when they're balanced out by the red elsewhere on the fuse. Excuse the low quality- this was just a quick edit.

I like the red a tad better, believe it or not. The bandit mask and text color look a little out of place however. Perhaps a gunmetal/silver!
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

Nabz82

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 am

I prefer this livery than the previous one. The light blue fuselage was not appealing at all. This is more modern and 'Legacy' worthy.!

sofianec

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:57 am

I think it's a great livery but I really felt like I heard the sound of passing gas once I imagined this finished reading out with the voice of Morgan Freeman: "Our brand new livery evokes the natural beauty and striking landscapes of our great nation."

I know nationalistic manifestos are so "en vogue" today but making them also corporate reminds of the zealous Soviet banners at factories hanging on the walls. Just like their previous livery was so light and greenish and organic and stuff which used to appeal to the fashionable bla-bla of the times: tree-hugging, global warming, foods with big "Organic" letters all over and the overuse of shades of Green.
Last edited by sofianec on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A350WARP

77west

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:18 am

LAXintl wrote:
Sorry Air Canada. This does not evoke image of Canada in any shape or form to me.

Who uses black on aircraft these days?

Ummmm...

77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

bohica

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:27 am

It is so much easier to bash a new livery than it is to praise one. That being said, I like it overall except for two things: The maple leaf should not be below the window line. IMO it should be above the windows. I'm not too keen on the "raccoon mask" around the cockpit windows either. Overall it's much better than what many other airlines have come out with.

RL777

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:45 am

77west wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Sorry Air Canada. This does not evoke image of Canada in any shape or form to me.

Who uses black on aircraft these days?

Ummmm...

At least black means something special in that country

PerfectGriffin

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 am

Don't really like it. Prefer the old livery.

pa747sp

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:54 am

[quote="USAirALB"]It says "our brand new livery evokes the natural beauty and striking landscapes of our great nation..."

That would be the tar sands?

Nice livery, but nothing to do with the above statement. In fact, if anything, the present (previous now?) livery looks more 'natural'
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

A332DTW

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:04 am

You just can't please everyone. I think it looks lovely.

planesavvy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:15 am

I think it looks good, but it is a bit cold and hard. Makes me think of a Canadian ice hockey player in mid winter with a missing tooth, haha.

LAX772LR

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:21 am

It looks way better in the live pictures than it does the animated ones. I sorta like seeing the raccoon-eyes on a Boeing.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RWA380

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:22 am

Clean, crisp & with nods to liveries past, it's modern & elegant looking. A nice fresh change for AC. Well done!
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

itisi

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:28 am

Looks fantastic, never liked the current scheme.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:47 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:

Because after all, they have to have EXACTLY THE SAME COLORS for one to remind you of another. :roll:

Look, you don't have to agree with me, but the first thing I thought when I saw the new AC livery was "BA Landor!" - and obviously, others did as well. You can disagree, but it doesn't mean we're somehow "wrong" for thinking what we think.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:32 am

First thing I thought was Delta ripoff.

Not too crazy about it. I prefer the now-old livery. The frosty blue-green just suited AC better (and reflected more about the country).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MoonC

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 am

I really suck at Paint, for a lack of better wording but this is how I would at least see it, if no chance to go back to the now-old livery...

trav110

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 am

That looks awful. What is AC thinking?

Ideekay

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:01 am

Looks like a throwback the 1990 early 2000 era of airline liveries with that belly. Dont like it. The ice blue livery was timeless, this isnt going to be.

Aviaphile

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 am

Don't like the black around the cockpit windows and why is the circle around the Maple Leaf emblem not continuous? Why the gap at the bottom?? Just don't see the point and find it very irritating. Black also very dull. Why not a very dark blue? Disappointing to say the least.
A300 310 319 320 321 332 343 346 380 ATR42 Bae146 707 720 721 722 732 733 734 735 738 741 742 743 744 74D SP 752 762 763 772 1-11400 500 Concorde DC3 DC910 30 50 DC10-30 MD11 Trident 1 2 3 Dash 7 DH6 Do228 328 F27 28 HS 748 LX45 L1011200 Viscount 700 800

andymartin

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 am

Worst livery ever? massive fail Air Canada

UAL777UK

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 am

When I first saw the pics I thought it was just out the Delta paintshop!! Not so sure about this one, looks very retro but do like the racoon eyes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos