DABYT
Topic Author

German government thinking about saving former D-ABCE "Landshut" from scrapping

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:27 am

LH's former D-ABCE, better known as "Landshut" that was hijacked in 1977 performing Lufthansa flight 181, is up for sale after being stored in Fortaleza, Brazil since 2008. German foreign minister Gabriel called the 737 a "vivid witness" of German history. Germany's ministry for foreign affaires is trying to work out how to help preserve the aircraft and prevent it from being scrapped.

More info here (German only, sorry): http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/f-a-z-exklusiv-verschrottung-der-landshut-soll-verhindert-werden-14871479.html

I wonder if it's really worth saving it. It's not airworthy and looks pretty bad.....

Flaps

Re: German government thinking about saving former D-ABCE "Landshut" from scrapping

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:40 am

Take it apart and put it on a boat home. Certainly plenty of 732 parts around to restore it to a museum quality display. Probably too far gone to be worth making flyable again but I see no reason she couldn't be made into a fine museum display.

PanHAM

Re: German government thinking about saving former D-ABCE "Landshut" from scrapping

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 am

Find enough Sponsors to pay for the return and it could work- The Federal Republic could buy the aicraft, Hamburg-Süd could Sponsor the Transport and LH Technik puts her in shape again, although not in flyable condition.. A good resting place could be the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich Schleißheim.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 am

But getting it all the way to Munich, which lies quite far inland, would be a challenge itself. Fortaleza is a coastal town, so getting it on a boat would not be a problem. Then unload it in Hamburg for example since Hamburg is also a large harbour town. But what then? How far are you willing to take it inland?

For practical reasons I'd say Hamburg would be the place to put this aircraft on display.

LTU932

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
For practical reasons I'd say Hamburg would be the place to put this aircraft on display.
Definitely. They could exhibit her along with the 707. The other possibility would be to bring her to Speyer. Ship the aircraft to Rotterdam and from there by barge to Speyer. Just as with HAM, road transportation time is kept at a minimum.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

PanHAM

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:13 pm

No problem for a heavy hauler to et the fuselage and the wings to Munich. Amatter of 2 or 3 days at most. Schleissheim is the perfect place as it is part of a Museum. Speyer is a private Museum and HAM is not as easy as it sounds. Once you have t off the ship you have to get the Thing across the river. I would outrule a trip through the City. A barge to a NATO landing in Schleswig Holstein and a road Transport to the North-eastern edge of Fuhlsbüttel might work. MUC is easier.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Dutchy

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

WIederling

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
But getting it all the way to Munich, which lies quite far inland, would be a challenge itself. Fortaleza is a coastal town, so getting it on a boat would not be a problem. Then unload it in Hamburg for example since Hamburg is also a large harbour town. But what then? How far are you willing to take it inland?

The Technik Museum Speyer http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/ has direct river access.
Brasil, Rotterdam/Amsterdam, up the river Rhine .. voila.

Giving a boost to Bonn and displaying it on the river front there could be another option.
Murphy is an optimist

rbrunner

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:52 pm

I think both the Deutsches Museum in Munich and the Technik Museum in Speyer would be very adequate indeed to display the Landshut.

But first Lufthansa Technik would have some work to do. Would the Landshut have to be brought to the Lufthansa Technik facilities or could it be done elsewhere?

PanHAM

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:00 pm

LH Technik could do that anywhere there is a Hangar. If needed in a tent as well. I think the facilities are available in Schleissheim. In any case it must be done at the final resting place. The bugger is a bit tricky to move on a havy haul with wings and stabilizer attached.....
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

LTU932

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:04 pm

WIederling wrote:
Giving a boost to Bonn and displaying it on the river front there could be another option.
Bonn makes also lots of sense, given that it used to be West Germany's centre of power.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Ronaldo747

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:15 pm

With the history behind the "Landshut", Bonn indeed makes by far the most sense to me because there is the german museum of contemporary history called Haus der Geschichte. Don't know if they can accommodate it though.

WIederling

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

LTU932 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Bonn makes also lots of sense, given that it used to be West Germany's centre of power.

Yes. competent (crisis) management worked from a small modest town: the "Bonner Republik", Helmut Schmidt.
Murphy is an optimist

ikramerica

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:20 pm

PanHAM wrote:
No problem for a heavy hauler to et the fuselage and the wings to Munich. Amatter of 2 or 3 days at most. Schleissheim is the perfect place as it is part of a Museum. Speyer is a private Museum and HAM is not as easy as it sounds. Once you have t off the ship you have to get the Thing across the river. I would outrule a trip through the City. A barge to a NATO landing in Schleswig Holstein and a road Transport to the North-eastern edge of Fuhlsbüttel might work. MUC is easier.

It's a smalle 737. If you are cutting off the wings and tail anyway, you can loading it in a beluga, lcf, or something Russian and fly it anywhere you need to.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PanHAM

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:34 pm

A Beluga is not available on charters and the 124 is by far too expensive. Besides both could not land in Schleissheim. Sea/Road is the best option
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

LTU932

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:38 pm

WIederling wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Yes. competent (crisis) management worked from a small modest town: the "Bonner Republik", Helmut Schmidt.
Indeed. In a way, the "good ol' days" of German politics.

Even if you can't exhibit the Landshut in the city itself (like e.g at the former Ministry of the Interior or the old Kanzleramt), certainly CGN could be an option. In CGN, they could exhibit the aircraft like they do with the 707 in HAM.

DABYT
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 pm

As per the article costs for purchase and transport are estimated around € 1 million. But how much is all the repair works and what works would that be? She was used as a freighter before being stored so there's no cabin interior left. Does it really make sense to restore the original state with Lufthansa's original cabin interior from the 70s? Is that even possible?

And of course there's the paint job. Even with a new shiny "retro" livery it would still look fake to me as it is not the original condition of the aircraft.

Any thoughts?

PanHAM

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:05 am

Not sure if that was a QC Version but to Change a freighter back to Pax Version is no big deal. Assemble seats on a 125" flat and roll'em in.
Now the aircraft does not Need to be put in flyable condition, that Version would not be allowed to go airborne in Europe anyay. After transport , the wings and the stabilizer have to be re-assembled, the engine pods and then a paint Job in the 70s c/s and that's it.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Boof02671

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Actually its not they transported the A320 from the Miracle on the Hudson from NY to CLT by Truck.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/14854407/huds ... -charlotte

ojjunior

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am

First question: How did the Germans allowed this bird to be sent overseas at first place?

Noshow

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 am

It was sold after being retired at Lufthansa to fly for somebody else. Nothing unusual.

scbriml

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 am

PanHAM wrote:
A Beluga is not available on charters

I don't know how often these days with higher production rates, but the Beluga's most certainly have been available for charter. :yes:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -600st.htm
A wide range of commercial charter missions have been performed by Airbus Transport International, from airlifting a 17.6-metre-long x 6.5-meter-diameter chemical tank weighing 39 metric tons to transporting a large French masterpiece painting. Space hardware manufacturers use the Beluga for reliable charter flights with payloads that have included space station modules, launch vehicle hardware and the most delicate satellite payloads. A pallet-mounted heating module provides a comfortable environment for spacecraft and other cargo that requires temperature-controlled conditions.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VSMUT

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 am

PanHAM wrote:
A Beluga is not available on charters and the 124 is by far too expensive. Besides both could not land in Schleissheim. Sea/Road is the best option

It has been used for charter in the past.

PanHAM

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 am

in the past Airbus produced less aircraft then they do today. AFAIK the Belugas are fully used. Besides, how would you load the fuselage of an old 737 in a place like Fortaleza? Without tle loading / unloading gear they have at the regular srtops and, even more important, to secure the load during flight. You'd have to take the Beluga out of regular Service for a week. As a freight forwarder i take all these considerations into account when I look at a task.

The best way to ship that aircraft would be on an ocean vessel and that would be tricky enough and ned a lot of planning. The rest of the journey to Schleissheim over the road would be the lesser problem-
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

N14AZ

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:19 pm

This is all speculation since the FAZ-article does not contain any information on where Landshut would be displayed.

I don't see her in one of the usual German aviation museums, IMHO. The objective is to treasure Landshut for its political meaning, not for its technical heritage.

seahawk

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:28 pm

I think the Deutsches Museum would be the obvious choice. (Flugwerft Schleißheim the most likely option due to the size)

N14AZ

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Found some more pictures showing "PT-MTB" although the pictures are already several years old...
Source and more pics: http://vincentrosenblatt.photoshelter.c ... ACT=search

PanHAM

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Well, regardless where the aircraft would be put on Display, it would Need to be transported to and inside of Germany-IMHO I have sugsted that the Schleissheim facility of the Deutsches Museum Munich would be the best Option. That place covers the political meaning as well, not only the technical heritage.
The Museums t Speyer and Sinsheim are too Commercial and the airbridge Monument in FRA does not have the space to Display a third aircraft and the 737 would be the odd one out. There are few other Options left.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

seahawk

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Maybe Gatow, but it would still be a odd ball there.

Noshow

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41 pm

If it needs to be cut to be transportable it will be more handy to be moved everywhere. No need for an airport right next door. One thing that comes into my mind would be Deutsches Technikmusem in Berlin. They have the "Rust" cessna of red square fame. Another would be Museum für Deutsche Geschichte in Berlin. This will not be some 737-monument but one of terrorism and how it was countered.

BTW: What happened to the Entebbe Airbus back then?

N14AZ

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:54 pm

What about.... Landshut? :-) I even couldn't say where it is ...
PanHAM wrote:
The Museums t Speyer and Sinsheim are too Commercial

That's what I meant.
PanHAM wrote:
There are few other Options left.

Well, you know our politicans. They are pretty good in finding another expensive option, which doesn't make sense at all.. ;-)

N14AZ

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

As a German taxpayer, can I suggest to swap Landshut for the DC3 next to it?

Much cheaper! :hyper:

bennett123

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Noshow

F-BVGG last flew as TC-MNA.

I think it is stored at IST.

leleko747

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:48 pm

N14AZ wrote:

Much cheaper! :hyper:

Hello guys and girls,
my name is Leonardo Mello and i'm a member of a Planespotting group called "TMA Fortaleza" (Our Facebook / Instagram / Flickr )

This 737 is indeed stored here for a long time since our local airline TAF Linhas Aéreas shut down operations.
It has been sitting derelict on a corrosion corner, together with other several aircraft (727, DC-3, other 737-200s).
The DC-3 your pic show was spared from her tragic fate: they were bought by the owner of Helisul Taxi Aereo in Curitiba, Brazil.
They were sent to Curitiba (by truck) to be restored and put into display in his farm. The ATA Brasil B737-200 PR-LSW, also a member of Fortaleza's corrosion corner, is also being dismantled to be restored in his farm.

Back to the "Landshut": here are a few pictures a friend of mine took (they're more recent that the ones posted before):

The plane is indeed very worn out because of the long storage. However, at least the fuselage is intact (the #1 engine needs new cowlings, but that's pretty much all).
I was seeing the previous posts about how this plane could be ferried to Germany. Besides the sea transport, couldn't a chartered Antonov An-124 do the job?
Fortaleza's runway is 2545 meters long and we've handled An-124, Boeing 747 and other large jets before. It would surely be an eye catching operation.

Cheers,
Leonardo
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

luftaom

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I would imagine that it is surface transportation or nothing. I can't see the funds ever being available for air freight.

Also this may be of some (tangential) interest: http://www.737-200.com.au/save-the-aircraft-blog
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

LGAviation

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

It all depends on who in the government gets behind the issue. The Landshut is still very much stuck in many minds and if it becomes a sort of publicised project than of course the state could pay for it. You must not forget that we're talking the fourth largest economy in the world and it doesn't even have a budget deficit. No matter what the Antonov costs, we could pay for it, it's just a matter whether we want to. I'd suggest get BILD tabloid involved and you'll see how the funds suddenly appear from everywhere, public and private.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

PanHAM

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 pm

In an election year the government will hardly waste a 7 Digit amount, bsides, governments don't have Money, they have to ask the parliment for the Budget. Sea/Land Transport takes some moe time but will come ot a lot less expensive
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

bennett123

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Good news about the DC3 and PR-LSW.

JannEejit

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Has anyone in government or elsewhere done a realistic costing on bringing the aircraft back to Germany yet, either by sea or airlift ?

N14AZ

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 am

leleko747 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Hello guys and girls,
my name is Leonardo Mello and i'm a member of a Planespotting group called "TMA Fortaleza" (Our Facebook / Instagram / Flickr )

This 737 is indeed stored here for a long time since our local airline TAF Linhas Aéreas shut down operations.
It has been sitting derelict on a corrosion corner, together with other several aircraft (727, DC-3, other 737-200s).
The DC-3 your pic show was spared from her tragic fate: they were bought by the owner of Helisul Taxi Aereo in Curitiba, Brazil.
They were sent to Curitiba (by truck) to be restored and put into display in his farm. The ATA Brasil B737-200 PR-LSW, also a member of Fortaleza's corrosion corner, is also being dismantled to be restored in his farm.

Back to the "Landshut": here are a few pictures a friend of mine took (they're more recent that the ones posted before):

Thanks for the new pictures. Seems as if this 737 remembered where it came from and became automatically eurowhite again...

And thank you for the update concerning the DC-3.

I am looking forward to what will happen to the former Landshut-aircraft. Since the new forum software allows for opening old threads it will be easy to post an update here, once a decision has been made...

LGAviation

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:22 am

PanHAM wrote:
In an election year the government will hardly waste a 7 Digit amount, bsides, governments don't have Money, they have to ask the parliment for the Budget. Sea/Land Transport takes some moe time but will come ot a lot less expensive

When you're holding almost 80 pc of seats in Parliament, that certainly isn't the problem.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

BartSimpson

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:59 am

JannEejit wrote:
Has anyone in government or elsewhere done a realistic costing on bringing the aircraft back to Germany yet, either by sea or airlift ?

No, so far it is not more than a floating idea to bid for the aircraft at an upcoming auction in March. Maybe some underlings in the Foreign Office are already working on a plan. The cost estimate of 1 Mio Euros as stated above was done by "experts" - whoever they were.

fortytwoeyes

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Ronaldo747 wrote:
With the history behind the "Landshut", Bonn indeed makes by far the most sense to me because there is the german museum of contemporary history called Haus der Geschichte. Don't know if they can accommodate it though.

I can't see any way to fit a 737 there.

JannEejit

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I wonder what the family of the executed pilot think about this potential display ?

garpd

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:48 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I wonder what the family of the executed pilot think about this potential display ?
They didn't object to the plane re-entering service, nor being sold on. I doubt they will object to its potential as a museum piece.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

PanHAM

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

LGAviation wrote:
PanHAM wrote:

When you're holding almost 80 pc of seats in Parliament, that certainly isn't the problem.

That's not how politicians work, especially when 2 parties are involved and the legislation to acquire the 737 would nee much more time than the March Deadline allows.

Even the LH manageent would need a supervisory board approval to buy their former aircraft. Andi could imagine that Fortaleza Airport would npt allow too much time to move the 737 from ist present Location. Realistily, time is running out
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

DABYT
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:44 pm

PanHAM wrote:
Not sure if that was a QC Version but to Change a freighter back to Pax Version is no big deal. Assemble seats on a 125" flat and roll'em in.
Now the aircraft does not Need to be put in flyable condition, that Version would not be allowed to go airborne in Europe anyay. After transport , the wings and the stabilizer have to be re-assembled, the engine pods and then a paint Job in the 70s c/s and that's it.

I absolutely agree that tecnically speaking it's no big deal to convert a freighter back to pax version. My doubts are more of a conceptual nature. What i mean is the aircraft had a different life after the hijacking. It still flew in LH colours for a while and was sold then to become a freighter. It's not like the US A320 which is on display at Carolinas Aviation Museum where you can see the original aircraft in its very original condition. They basically pulled it out of the river and put it on display as it is. So as a visitor you see the original thing, you can even see the impact of the birdstrike, etc. With Landshut it's different. It's a lot of work to get the "original" Landshut back. When restoring historical exhibits IMHO it should be done to all it's details, like cabin and cockpit details, paint job and so on. And even if you do that it would be more like a replica. The seats you'll put in won't be the original seats on which the original passengers went through hell during their odyssey on board. A good example for a really bad restauration is the 707 in HAM. I still don't get it why they applied this "fantasy" livery which never existed on any original LH 707.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, i'm not against preserving the aircraft. I'm just saying that it should be done in a very careful way. Maybe another option is to put it on display just as it is now. That would tell the whole story of the aircraft including it's afterlife as a freighter....

Revelation

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

As a non-German, I wonder how much importance does the current German people give to the history of these events 40 years ago?

I imagine the current generation would say to let the airplane go, and maybe put a plaque on a wall somewhere to honor the brave soldiers and the unfortunate victims.

It seems to me to be pretty extravagant to spend that much money on transporting this decaying hulk of an airplane thousands of miles and restoring it to museum quality to then just have it sit somewhere most likely outdoors and begin a new cycle of decaying, whilst the new generation might not connect well to the events that made it significant.

In any case, this thread gave me an excuse to waste a few hours yesterday reading various wiki pages about the "German Autumn". Those were some strange times, and some strange people had some very wild and even evil ideas in their heads back then.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

PanHAM

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm

@ DABYT - I agree that they would have a hard time to find the original seats. I flew many times on that a/c type in the 70s and I tried to remember if the 230s already had over head bins or simply the original open ones. The fact that it flew as a freighter does not matter. It was build as a freighter and most likely was part of the QC fleet in the 70s, flying as passenger a/c during the day and connecting European destinations with FRA during the night. I think the main Task should now be to get a hold of the aircraft, followed by the Transport.
I agree that Hamburg Airport did a bad Job with the 707 and the Location where it sits is not better. Don't know why, LH would not have objected to grant the Copyright for the livery. After all , HAM is home of LH Technik.

@ Revolution
50% would give you an empty stare, 10% would say "what do you mean digger? and the rest would not give a rat's ass.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

TheSonntag

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Revelation wrote:
As a non-German, I wonder how much importance does the current German people give to the history of these events 40 years ago?

While I am 34 and thus born after the German Autumn, Helmut Schmidt and the RAF are still part of the German history and rather famous.

Also, the massacre of the Olympics in 1972, which were the reason the GSG 9 force was founded (which was used in 1977 in Mogadiscio), is still present in many minds.

Also this is still the most prominent German "Police/Military" Operation after WW2. So, to answer it, at least for the interested public it is still very present. Also since the RAF only ceased to exist in the early 1990s. The GSG9 still has a very positive Reputation in Germany.

I have worked in the Haus der Geschichte as a Student, and while I doubt there is sufficient space, it would not be a bad place to put it. They even have an old railway car put in the cellar which was used by the chancellor in the 1960s.

I am clearly in favour of bringing it back.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos