Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pbb2173
Topic Author

IAH new Terminal C North sneak preview

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:27 pm

The new Terminal C North for UA at IAH is set to open in the next couple of months. Guests were treated to a sneak preview on Thursday. I must say it does look pretty nice. Especially compared to the current, cramped C North. The current concourse will eventually be razed to make room for the West pier of the new international Terminal D.

http://www.chron.com/business/article/U ... item-38488

AVENSAB727

Re: IAH new Terminal C North sneak preview

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:16 pm

I saw it too, looks real nice.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

jetblastdubai

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Is there a net gain in gates or just a replacement of an older terminal?

jetero

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm

C-North is cramped? It's a bowling alley most of the day.

iahcsr

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:

Let's see. A few years ago old north had C14-27 = 14. Stopped using C27 to expand B84 complex. More recently stopped using C15 to allow C14/16 to become full time WB gates. C24-26 will now be part of the new north as C1-3. New build C4-15 (no C13 :evil: ) Total 14. To avoid duplication the current C14 will become C24. So until such time as HAS decides to tear down/remodel the old, C1-15 will be a left turn at Brooks Bros. C16-24 keep walking north.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

atlflyer

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Looks great!

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm

iahcsr wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

Let's see. A few years ago old north had C14-27 = 14. Stopped using C27 to expand B84 complex. More recently stopped using C15 to allow C14/16 to become full time WB gates. C24-26 will now be part of the new north as C1-3. New build C4-15 (no C13 :evil: ) Total 14. To avoid duplication the current C14 will become C24. So until such time as HAS decides to tear down/remodel the old, C1-15 will be a left turn at Brooks Bros. C16-24 keep walking north.

And to think the original C1-3 is today's D1-3.

Does anyone have a status update on B-North and the proposed, desperately needed, B-FIS?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetero

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:06 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I can't remember there ever being a C1, but perhaps the gates were renumbered when the IAB was built in 1989. I also can't remember where the old C FIS was--I think it was where C-24-27 are today.

TWA772LR wrote:
Does anyone have a status update on B-North and the proposed, desperately needed, B-FIS?

Why is another FIS "desperately needed"? The current FIS is going to be enlarged when D gets rebuilt to add more bag claim capacity. Otherwise, the building is perfectly fine from a capacity standpoint. Long lines are a product of CBP staffing and opening another FIS isn't going to help that problem. The B FIS died long ago. B Phase III, whenever it does get built, will be built as domestic gates. United will use the rebuilt Terminal D.

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 pm

jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I can't remember there ever being a C1, but perhaps the gates were renumbered when the IAB was built in 1989. I also can't remember where the old C FIS was--I think it was where C-24-27 are today.

TWA772LR wrote:

Why is another FIS "desperately needed"? The current FIS is going to be enlarged when D gets rebuilt to add more bag claim capacity. Otherwise, the building is perfectly fine from a capacity standpoint. Long lines are a product of CBP staffing and opening another FIS isn't going to help that problem. The B FIS died long ago. B Phase III, whenever it does get built, will be built as domestic gates. United will use the rebuilt Terminal D.

I guess it's not so much the facility as it is the CBP staffing, but the European arrivals surely don't help the situation at all. On top of that, the block between 5:30pm and 6:30pm is pretty hectic also since UA's FRA arrival, TK, and BAs second daily arrive in that time frame. Not to mention UAs LatAm narrowbody flights steadily trickling in at all times throughout the day. When I worked for TK, the station manager would practically have a heart attack every time BA's second daily beat our arrival to the gate. Lastly, being stuck on the baggage claim level of FIS sucks as an employee and would be unbearable as a passenger. No windows, no natural light, low ceiling, and the ever growing Customs line would make me never want to connect from an international flight at peak times through IAH again. It's a good thing I live in Houston and travel with just a carry-on so I can use the One-Stop line in immigration.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WTXJET

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:04 pm

jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

TWA772LR wrote:

In the 1980's prior to the Leland Terminal opening the Terminal C FIS was located where gates C43-C45 are today. This area served Continental international flights along with Viasa, British Caledonian, and Air Canada. The other international airlines used Terminal B. Also, in the early 1990's the old Terminal C FIS was remodeled and handled the Continental Express operation.

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:14 pm

WTXJET wrote:
jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

TWA772LR wrote:

In the 1980's prior to the Leland Terminal opening the Terminal C FIS was located where gates C43-C45 are today. This area served Continental international flights along with Viasa, British Caledonian, and Air Canada. The other international airlines used Terminal B. Also, in the early 1990's the old Terminal C FIS was remodeled and handled the Continental Express operation.

You mean the tiny area between C45 and E1(where the credit union is) was the FIS for all of those arrivals? Hopefully they were all spaced out... Regarding the old B FIS, which pod/banjo was that located in? How did pax get in an out of that area? Where was international baggage claim? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time.

KTPAFlyer

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:33 pm

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 pm

The old Terminal B FIS is where B83 is today. The NW banjo of the terminal. If you ever go over there, look for some stairs next to the gate agent's desk. The FIS was on the lower level of this banjo. I've not been down there, but hard to believe they could process a 747 load of passengers down there!
Here's a question for those of you who work out at IAH...both times this month when I've come through the FIS, the side closest to Terminal E has been shut down, and everyone was routed over to the side closest to D. Is this permanent, or is it open during the early afternoon European arrivals? Both times I've come in at the dreaded 6pm slot, and the citizens line only has 2 or 3 officers working. while the foreign passport holder lines are insane.

SurfandSnow

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Nice to see IAH continuing to improve. The cramped C gates were an absolute mess when I flew through IAH a few days before Christmas.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

nikeson13

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Somewhat reminds me of the redone terminal E at SFO, very similar styling
Nikolas

United1

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:20 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:

UA may not see an initial net gain in gates but they do have preferential rights to the gates in one of the new international terminal piers. Once the new "D" Terminal has been build out UA should have a few new gates to play around with.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 pm

nikeson13 wrote:
Somewhat reminds me of the redone terminal E at SFO, very similar styling

Very similar design...UA also contracted with OTG as their concession company. They are the same group that operates EWR T-C concessions so passengers will see lots of the same style of restaurants, technology and design in the new C North terminal (as well as B, C South and E in IAH.)

http://www.anotgexperience.com/experien ... e?loc=1184
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Pbb2173
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:35 pm

jetero wrote:

I meant in terms of size of the concourse. Sorry, I'll have to dumb down my posts for you next time.

WTXJET

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 pm

You mean the tiny area between C45 and E1(where the credit union is) was the FIS for all of those arrivals? Hopefully they were all spaced out... Regarding the old B FIS, which pod/banjo was that located in? How did pax get in an out of that area? Where was international baggage claim? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time.[/quote]

Yes it was. Keep in mind there were not very many international arrivals in Terminal C prior to the opening of Leland IAB. By very many I mean not by today's standards. Continental had a small footprint in Mexico and their flight from YYC pre-cleared in Canada.

I see someone answered your Terminal B question already.

springtx

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:03 pm

WTXJET wrote:
You mean the tiny area between C45 and E1(where the credit union is) was the FIS for all of those arrivals? Hopefully they were all spaced out... Regarding the old B FIS, which pod/banjo was that located in? How did pax get in an out of that area? Where was international baggage claim? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time.

Yes it was. Keep in mind there were not very many international arrivals in Terminal C prior to the opening of Leland IAB. By very many I mean not by today's standards. Continental had a small footprint in Mexico and their flight from YYC pre-cleared in Canada.

I see someone answered your Terminal B question already.[/quote]

FIS in C was below where gate 45 and E1 where, not on the passenger floor. B, FIS was in the Main
build, not out on the Banjo. It was in the NW part of the build on the round floor,

jetero

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:20 am

Pbb2173 wrote:
jetero wrote:

I meant in terms of size of the concourse. Sorry, I'll have to dumb down my posts for you next time.

Please do. My brain is so cramped. Thankfully I have people like you looking out for me!

jetero

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 am

United1 wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

UA may not see an initial net gain in gates but they do have preferential rights to the gates in one of the new international terminal piers. Once the new "D" Terminal has been build out UA should have a few new gates to play around with.

UA WILL see an initial net gain of 12 gates, not sure why that's in question. The Terminal D rebuild hasn't even been designed yet (A&E contract was awarded in December). It'll be one year at the absolute earliest before "cramped" "old" C-North is torn down, and, more than likely, 2, if ever. In a political environment where the U.S. detains a former prime minister of Norway for traveling to Iran, and big modifications to the Visa Waiver program are being considered, I don't think the next couple of years are going to be very kind to international travel demand in the U.S. Not to mention Texas's economy will be one of, if not the, hardest hit from this bluster over NAFTA. Now's not the right time to be thinking about building new international terminals in the U.S.

jetero

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 am

WTXJET wrote:

Thanks for that, don't know why I thought it was on the north side. I do remember the old COEX ground-floor holdroom before they moved to B.

SurfandSnow wrote:
The cramped C gates

C-South is CROWDED because probably 2/3 if not more of passengers in C depart from there. But "cramped," OK, sure. C-North is by no means cramped or crowded because UA doesn't schedule nearly the amount of flights there as it does in C-South, probably because E is right next door--it's just so much easier to keep passengers and bags on the same side of the apron. Cramped is LGA, ORD, ATL, and IAH Terminal B banjos because the holdrooms are way undersized for today's aircraft and load factors.

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
The old Terminal B FIS is where B83 is today. The NW banjo of the terminal. If you ever go over there, look for some stairs next to the gate agent's desk. The FIS was on the lower level of this banjo. I've not been down there, but hard to believe they could process a 747 load of passengers down there!

I don't think (but never having cleared Customs in B can't say for sure) that the FIS was on the banjo. I'm pretty sure it was where the HPD offices are on the bag claim level. I think (again, not sure, someone can correct me) that the bridge to the banjo was divided in 2 and had a sterile corridor for international arriving passengers.

But it is indeed hard to believe that 2 747s and a DC-10 could be parked at a banjo at the same time. Load factors were probably in the 50% range.

rta

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 am

Looks real nice, but I wonder how many people will end up using those tablets. They seemed mostly untouched the last time I was in YYZ.

KTPAFlyer

IAH Terminal C now open?

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:11 am

Hello A.net,

I am flying through IAH Terminal C next week, and I have heard that it is opening some time in March. After checking Twitter, I noticed that one person indicated that it actually opened today! Is this a soft launch? And also, is it connected airside by the train to the other terminals?

https://mobile.twitter.com/airlinemaps/ ... 0274138112

iahcsr

Re: IAH Terminal C now open?

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Hello A.net,

I am flying through IAH Terminal C next week, and I have heard that it is opening some time in March. After checking Twitter, I noticed that one person indicated that it actually opened today! Is this a soft launch? And also, is it connected airside by the train to the other terminals?

https://mobile.twitter.com/airlinemaps/ ... 0274138112

The new area is connected to the old... C24-26 will now be C1-3. Beyond are new C4-12, C14-15, then ownward to north B gates. Same Skyway C station, left to north and left again at Brooks Bros. to the new area. The old area will remain open (C16-24) until HAS decides otherwise. Not sure how much activity will remain in old once new is fully operational.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

KTPAFlyer

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:38 am

Flew through IAH yesterday. I was under the impression that C was open, but it is not. Despite that, it is essentially finished based on what I could gather from the view at the Skyway station and the modern glass looks really nice, can't wait to try it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos