Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

WestJet 'bullish' on wide-body strategy, but tight-lipped on details

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Earliest to hear more about it will be in May, after an investor day.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local ... on-details

LAX772LR

Re: WestJet 'bullish' on wide-body strategy, but tight-lipped on details

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Hard to tell based on their current strategy whether they'll consider YYC or YYZ as more of a base for their international widebody ops, or continue to split them. Be interesting to see how AC responds, regardless.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RL777

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I think we'll see them add a few more 767 frames in the interim, they seem to be working quite nicely for them and they also seemed to have worked out the reliability issues too. The 787 is intriguing to me, I think it definitely could work in the WS fleet but I can't figure whether they would be looking at the 788 or 789.

whywhyzee

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:58 pm

RL777 wrote:
I think we'll see them add a few more 767 frames in the interim, they seem to be working quite nicely for them and they also seemed to have worked out the reliability issues too. The 787 is intriguing to me, I think it definitely could work in the WS fleet but I can't figure whether they would be looking at the 788 or 789.

I know they are currently trying to pick up some of JAL's former 767's. They are still a great option with low upfront costs and relative knowledge of the platform given their current fleet. The 787 seems a logical progression.

What I find intriguing is the same thing you questioned, which model will it be? On one hand, the 787-8 is probably an ideal size for them, it will give them room for a proper premium cabin (which was explained to me as the plan going foreword). That would allow them to compete in a more level playing field with AC, rather then tackle the somewhat more competitive lower cost segment of the Canadian market. Furthermore, again, from what has been explained to me by employees of westjet, some of their codeshare partners are pressuring them to offer a premium product in order to better serve their own premium passengers on connections. While this only represents a small fraction of their loads, it is certainly a viable way of supplementing loads at the front of the airplane. So given that, and it's incremental increase in size over the 763, the 787-8 logicially makes sense.

With all of that being said, the performance delta between the -8 and -9 is negligeable in terms of fuel consumption. The 787-9 essentially offers "free" additional seats as compared to the 787-8. Boeing is likely pushing that option rather then the -8 which is slowly slipping into the shadow of its larger sibling. The issue is the -9 is a significant jump up in size for them, which is a tricky thing to manage. I really can't say what they will end up doing, too tough to call. I'd love to hear more opinions, it's an interesting situation, one that brings me great excitement.

767333ER

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm

I think the 787-9 honestly would be more likely than the 787-8 which isn't selling anymore.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

morrisond

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:34 pm

If they are going to go new wouldn't they be crazy not go with 787-10 given there probable routes not being super longhaul? This would give them an efficiency advantage over AC and as they are most likely to go after high volume routes first - lots of traffic to fill them. It's not like they are going to start something like YYZ - London 3x daily.

jmt18325

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:00 am

You're assuming that Air Canada won't be ordering the 787-10.

RL777

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:04 am

morrisond wrote:
If they are going to go new wouldn't they be crazy not go with 787-10 given there probable routes not being super longhaul? This would give them an efficiency advantage over AC and as they are most likely to go after high volume routes first - lots of traffic to fill them. It's not like they are going to start something like YYZ - London 3x daily.

Depends what mission they're looking to use them on. If WS is still targeting Asia as the market it wants to enter, the 789 is much better suited in terms of range and payload over distance ability. The 787-10 is a big step up from their current 763s, a gap I don't think WS is ready to jump up.

BestWestern

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 am

Asia is a tough market with all the subsidised Chinese feed.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

AirbusA322

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 am

Could have a mix of 788/789.

Scoot has both and they rotate each according to demand, seems to work well. Over the Australian summer holidays they upgraded flights from 788 to 789 while downgraded a lot of northern Asian routes.

Then you have Jetstar who have exclusive 788.

Jayce

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Hard to tell based on their current strategy whether they'll consider YYC or YYZ as more of a base for their international widebody ops, or continue to split them. Be interesting to see how AC responds, regardless.

Personally, I'd be surprised if flights weren't centred around hubs in YYZ and YVR, following the pattern of every other Canadian airline that's flown long-haul.

When Wardair first started flying long-haul, they centred the flights around YEG before moving them to YVR and YYZ.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

Dominion301

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:19 pm

It's interesting to note for the 763 ops this summer, that while YEG and YWG continue to be served to LGW this summer, it'll be a much shorter (try 1/3 as long) season and YEG will only see 2x instead of 3x/week service. In other words, outside of the absolute peak demand period, they're not letting the 4 763s stray from their 3 hubs. Probably has more to do with wanting a more reliable schedule this summer than lack of YEG or YWG demand.