Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

If You Ever Go To Ireland . . .

Thu Aug 19, 1999 1:38 am

Just a quick survey. I am an Irish enthusiast and although not now living there, I am interested to know how people fly there and particularly if they flew with an Irish airline, how they found it (and don't say "at the end of the jetway"!!)
I'm particularly interested in hearing from North American passengers, though all are most welcome! We have an unusual (i..e stupid) rule that for every one flight to Dublin, one has to go to Shannon. If you've had this - and particularly if having to do this has put you off or made you go via London (or elsewhere), let me know!

RE: If You Ever Go To Ireland . . .

Thu Aug 19, 1999 2:37 am

I flew to Ireland in April last year aboard Aer Lingus. I was excited to fly on the A330 for the first time and both the aircraft and the airline exceeded my expectations.

We boarded EI-CRK in Newark (EWR) with Shannon (SNN) as our final destination. The Captain addressed the cabin in both English and Gaelic, which was a nice touch (they didn't do this on the return, but I suspect not all the pilots can speak both). They served complimentary Guiness beer and other drinks. The flight attendants were very friendly and you have to like the accent. Also, they spoke very clearly and the announcements were not unnecessarily hurried as they are so often. The whole atmosphere came across as very Irish.

As for the aircraft, I was impressed. I sat by the window by the surprisingly large CF6-80E1A2 engine. I had a nice view across the leading edge of the wing and that huge green winglet looked beautiful under the sunrise. I found this seat to be comfortable as was the middle seat I sat in for the return. We arrived in Shannon less than six hours after leaving Newark.--that's really a short hop! Shannon is a very nice, small little airport and I would recommend arriving there to anyone new to Ireland.

For the return, we flew from Dublin (DUB) to JFK. I was stuck in a middle seat which I hate, but the flight still seemed quite enjoyable. Meals were served piping hot and followed by desert, tea and Irish whiskey. I don't remember any in-flight movie, but they must have had one. It obviously didn't matter to me much, which is a good sign. Despite significant turbulence during the arrival, the pilot "greased" the landing--I was very impressed by Aer Lingus and would definitely fly them again.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 1999 4:19 am

Thanks for that, 24291. Glad you liked it. Aer Lingus has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. LAX has just been added and ORD is now daily. We're hoping for another, but the Shannon stop causes problems with bilateral negotiations. Hope you'll fly EI again soon.

lima

Thu Aug 19, 1999 4:34 am

I had the chance to visit Ireland two years ago. I flew with Aer Lingus from London Heathrow to Dublin and return and enjoyed the whole trip on B737-400 and B737-500 (this was called St. Columba). I liked that the seat covers were written in gaelic with poems; for me was interesting as I didin´t know nothing about the country I was visiting neither the fact that there is another language other than english.

The service was good, although I found that they put more seats at least on 737´s so there is less space than other airlines flying similar aircraft (i.e. KLM). For that reason I found ridiculous the business class (called Club Europe I guess) as the passengers there were equally cramped as us back but they had at least a pre take off orange juice!. On the return leg I had an aisle seat, and a flight attendant came to ask if I would offer this seat to a sick passenger stuck in the middle. No problem, I moved and later she came to offer me a free drink but I refused as I don´t like alcohol. She was quite surprised I didin´t accept the drink.

Dublin airport is small but is good and is quick to leave and check in

Granite

Please Ryanair Please!

Thu Aug 19, 1999 5:28 am

Hi all

A bit off track here but if Ryanair ever start a service to Dublin from Aberdeen, I think I'll be off for some Guinness!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Regards to all
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

kaitak
Topic Author

RE: Please Ryanair Please!

Thu Aug 19, 1999 5:56 am

No, very much on track, Granite, all comers welcome. As far as FR is concerned, it's down to the airport authority itself. I am surprised that no one has yet established a direct link between ABZ and DUB. It does seem to be the largest UK city not yet linked, so I would not be surprised to see something set up at some stage - if not by Ryanair, by someone else.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos