Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sadiqutp
Topic Author

Video: Jet Airways 777 intercepted Above Germany for radio contact loss

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ113q0HOYQ

Jet Airways flight 9W 118 carrying 330 passengers and travelling from Mumbai to London was intercepted by fighter jets on February 16 after it lost contact with air traffic control above German Airspace causing a huge securities scare.

Jet Airways spokesperson official statement

“Contact between Jet Airways flight 9W 118, from Mumbai to London Heathrow, of February 16, 2017, and the local ATC, was briefly lost while flying over German airspace.

Communication was safely restored within a few minutes. As a precaution, the German Air Force deployed its aircraft to ensure the safety of the flight and its guests.

The flight with 330 guests and 15 crew subsequently landed at London without incident.

Jet Airways has duly reported the matter to the concerned authorities including the DGCA. As part of the standard process, the flight crew of 9W 118 has been de-rostered pending investigation.”

MrHMSH

Re: Video: Jet Airways 777 intercepted Above Germany for radio contact loss

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Great video, a very unusual angle on a relatively rare occurrence. FR24 says the video was shot from G-YMMD BA2042 MLE-LGW.

KiloRomeoDelta

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Brilliant video. How common is it for commercial pilots to be carrying a DSLR or GoPro with them in the cockpit? This is not a "grab a phone and record" video, it is high quality stuff!

Armodeen

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
Brilliant video. How common is it for commercial pilots to be carrying a DSLR or GoPro with them in the cockpit? This is not a "grab a phone and record" video, it is high quality stuff!

I suppose they have just had a stopover in the Maldives!

Varsity1

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

In Europe it's common. The U.S. and other areas (China for example) ban personal cameras in the cockpit while in flight.

golfradio

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

This was VT-JEX. This time it seems it might have been the wrong freq on the dial. VT-JEG lost comms just about 3 years ago during hand over to Maastricht Upper Area Control. That time apparently the pilots did not increase the speaker volume after having removed their headphones.

I hope they get slapped with the bill for the scramble.

A350

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 pm

golfradio wrote:
I hope they get slapped with the bill for the scramble.

Well, our pilots need the stick hours anyway :wave:

Virginblue4

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

In Europe it's common. The U.S. and other areas (China for example) ban personal cameras in the cockpit while in flight.

There are literally thousands of cockpit videos of landings and takeoffs at US airpots on YouTube, from both US carriers and international carriers, so I am guessing it really isn't a very strict ban?

pelican

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Great Vid!
A German Newspaper (Die Welt) reported that the Jet Airways pilots did not respond to calls on the emergency frequency.
What did they do?

Varsity1

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:13 am

Virginblue4 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

There are literally thousands of cockpit videos of landings and takeoffs at US airpots on YouTube, from both US carriers and international carriers, so I am guessing it really isn't a very strict ban?

European regulators are historically poor at enforcement. PEDs are banned by all the majors and regionals in the U.S. Gopro cameras and smart phones are specifically banned by the FAA under CFR §121.542. U.S. pilots got hammered in the late 00's when smart phones became popular, it's not a big area of question over here anymore.

caoimhin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

European regulators are historically poor at enforcement. PEDs are banned by all the majors and regionals in the U.S. Gopro cameras and smart phones are specifically banned by the FAA under CFR §121.542. U.S. pilots got hammered in the late 00's when smart phones became popular, it's not a big area of question over here anymore.

Thanks for the citation. That reg reads to me as applying only to crew members who are actively on-duty. Is it interpreted more narrowly than that in practice?

Varsity1

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 am

caoimhin wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:

Thanks for the citation. That reg reads to me as applying only to crew members who are actively on-duty. Is it interpreted more narrowly than that in practice?

You can use it in the jumpseat but it's universally frowned upon. Most captains just see it as a liability to get hammered on a technicality that otherwise wouldn't get documented.

Historically the worst offenders have been the regionals in the US and LCC's in Europe. unsurprisingly money does seem to buy professionalism.

jnev3289

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:25 am

Look at all those chemtrails....

ZeeZoo

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 am

The original uploader, the actual Pilot, has taken it down from his Youtube channel (both parts). Any reason why? BA had a word with him?

N14AZ

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
The original uploader, the actual Pilot, has taken it down from his Youtube channel (both parts). Any reason why? BA had a word with him?

Ah, I just wanted to ask from which plane the video was taken. So it was a BA-jet...

LoganTheBogan

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 am

CHEMTRAILS! :lol:

Virginblue4

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I have no idea about regulations in the US, there are so many videos on YouTube, that either the pilots are being stupid, or it really isn't that strict of a ban?

Loads of them include the pilots faces, so they obviously aren't worried in the slightest!

Ferroviarius

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 am

Good morning,
as far as I know it is forbidden in Germany by ruling of the highest court to down a plane that would have been taken over by terrorists. Downing such an airplane would not be conform to the "Grundgesetz" - German constitution -, as a ruling by the "Bundesverfassungsgericht" - highest court in the FRG - says, since downing such an airplane in order to avoid a terrorist attack would mean counting human lives here and human lives there. Counting human lives in the way of: "Unfortunately, here we kill 245 in this airplane - and they can anyway not be saved if we let the airplane be crashed in a terrorist attack -, if they crash it, thousands will be killed." is, so the ruling, not in accordance with the concept of human dignity ("Die Würde des Menschen ist uantastbar."). The ruling has been harshly criticized by a number of politicians and in some newspaper comments as "just theory" and "foolish", but it is still valid and has not been overruled or its application "circumvented" by the creation of another law (please, correct me if I am wrong).
***Writing all this, I do personally NOT want to express any opinion on this issue, I just write it ad notam.***

So, in how far does interception help?

Also, what does the wording "As a precaution, the German Air Force deployed its aircraft to ensure the safety of the flight and its guests." mean???
Your thoughts?

Best,
Ferroviarius

PanHAM

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 am

@ Ferroviarius - you seem to mix-up a Statement crafted by the JET Marketing department to cover up the blunder of their Crew with an official Statement of the German Government. Air Policing is a normal Thing, every state has the right t control it's airspace, some do that from 9 to 5 , we do it still around the clock. We have 2 bases for that, one in the south and one in the North. The Job is to identify the intrudor, not to shoot them down.

TheSonntag

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am

Ferroviarius wrote:
Also, what does the wording "As a precaution, the German Air Force deployed its aircraft to ensure the safety of the flight and its guests." mean???
Your thoughts?

Well, first of all in 99% of all cases planes are not turned into weapons. September 11 was extreme, but it is not a typical case. There are many cases where the pilots can try to assess the situation, try to force the plane to turn, and give vital intelligence to ground Forces.

Whether the Luftwaffe is unable to shoot down a plane is the wrong question, btw. The constitutional court only ruled that the law which was legitimating the shootdown (and thus giving the pilots safety) was unconstitutional.

The answer whether a pilot that shoots down an airliner would face criminal prosecution has not been asked for and has not been answered.

I would suggest that you Google "Terror - Ihre Entscheidung", which is a well made fictional tv event this year where a court case against a pilot was shown in public.

In the end, the ruling of the constitutional court has placed the burden on the pilot alone. This is dissatisfying, but I am rather sure a pilot would n o t be convicted in a criminal case. It is just a honest Statement from our constitution that in such a case, there is no satisfying solution.

Killing innocent civilians for rescueing others is simply not possible in our constitution. The fact that the civilians in the plane would die 10min later is irrelevant in this respect.

TheSonntag

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 am

Regarding this case, there is something which astounds me, however: German bases are Neuburg/Donau (in the south) and Wittmund (North Sea).

If the plane was intercepted around cologne, this would fit much more into the planes being stationed in Nörvenich (which is no air policing base, although it does have Eurofighters nowadays), because from the Netherlands/Belgium to Cologne, it is just 5-10minutes by plane.

A plane from Wittmund or Neuburg would not make it to Cologne in those 10 minutes if it was still on the ground, since that are around 400km. Even with full burners and close to Mach 2, this is not possible, unless the authorities have already been warned when the plane was still in the netherlands or even London without communicating.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 am

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

Euhm. 360p? It's 2017, hardly high quality stuff. Or did I miss the original movie?

emiratesdriver

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 am

As a general point, it surprises me that there aren't more interceptions over the EU, the number of loss of comms I hear equates to 2 or 3 per trip. It's what the implementation of datalink needs to be sped up.

alfablue

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:20 am

Ferroviarius wrote:

Your thoughts?

The French and Germans use those opportunities to give their military pilots some training practise. It's an open secret that (especially the French) send their fighters after civil airliners which lost radio contact and then charge the airline. Those intercepts don't come cheap for the airline affected. When it happened to my chief pilot it cost roughly $150 000. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmvh2wP1BHs

Basically the military pilots got some free training (military pilots fly little in Europe) and the airline foots the bill.

Rgds,

alfaBlue

TheSonntag

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 am

Awesome Video. I would not feel nice seeing that from inside the plane.

ojjunior

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 am

jnev3289 wrote:

Oh yes!
BTW, it was it just me that I found very strange the difference between the contrails of the 2 engines of the 777? The difference in color and intensity is visible. Is it just a matter of engines setup that causes a different exhaust?
What can this be?

ojjunior

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 am

jnev3289 wrote:

Oh yes!
BTW, it was it just me that I found very strange the difference between the contrails of the 2 engines of the 777? The difference in color and intensity is visible. Is it just a matter of engines setup that causes a different exhaust?
What can this be?

TheSonntag wrote:
Awesome Video. I would not feel nice seeing that from inside the plane.

Did any passenger recorded it? Links?

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am

Oh boy, so many thoughts... First of all kudos BA crew, excellent video.

Time already for Jet Airways-Europe annual intercept ritual!!!

This video took the zing out of intercepts. That has to be the low energy/eco friendly intercept on tape. On my roads that's not an intercept, that is two hesitant drivers trying to cross a semi. Once they go parallel to the truck, all three lanes will be blocked and traffic will slow down for miles because they cannot overtake.

They could have asked BA crew to Livestream to keep an eye on the subject sitting at base.

I can hazard a guess someone tweeting about video evidence on how NATO wasting money chasing innocent planes.

b747400erf

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 am

ojjunior wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

Oh yes!
What can this be?

The different angles to the setting sun.

aviatorcraig

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Lets not jump to the conclusion that the German Air Force was only sent up to shoot this airliner down if it had been hijacked and was likely to be used as a weapon.
Remember the Helios 737 that depressurised? Then of course there is the (still unexplained) case of another 777, MH370...
A civilian airliner that is not communicating for an extended period requires investigation, not only for safety of those on the ground but also for the safety of thoses onboard.
Whilst there is not too much an intercepting plane can do to help directly, the intelligence gained could be invaluable. I'm sure the Helios investigation would have been far more difficult had fighters not been sent to intercept and the only evidence was a smoking crater on a mountainside.
The German Authorities were absolutely right to send up Typhoons(?) to see 'what's going on?'

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:
A civilian airliner that is not communicating for an extended period requires investigation, not only for safety of those on the ground but also for the safety of thoses onboard....'

Not the case here, comms were reestablished and probably every aircraft in the vicinity is aware cavalry is coming and had cameras ready.

If they send invoice, Jet Airways should sue them for selectively picking on them.

aviatorcraig

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:
A civilian airliner that is not communicating for an extended period requires investigation, not only for safety of those on the ground but also for the safety of thoses onboard....'

Not the case here, comms were reestablished and probably every aircraft in the vicinity is aware cavalry is coming and had cameras ready.

If they send invoice, Jet Airways should sue them for selectively picking on them.

Please quote your source.

The ONLY official details on this thread of what actually happened here (other than the video of course) is a press release from the airline.

What was the timeline? How long had the aircraft not been communicating? Was the aircraft communicating when it entered German airspace?

Boeingphan

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:05 pm

I read somewhere that they got handed off and instead of using (not sure exactly what frequency it was) 128.980 they pushed 128.890 so pretty simple but one would think they would check in and notify atc that they are where they are supposed to be.

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

The ONLY official details on this thread of what actually happened here (other than the video of course) is a press release from the airline.

What was the timeline? How long had the aircraft not been communicating? Was the aircraft communicating when it entered German airspace?

Europe should fix their ATC first rather than using the error prone system to train rookies and charge airlines. Its a shame on a union which is proud of its standards.

Between the frequent hand-offs and so called party line called emergency frequency, loss of comm happens almost every day. They should fine pilots/airlines using emergency frequency for asking colleague on a date or to arrange kids birthday party. Because of this unnecessary chatter, pilots turn down emergency frequency volume.

Not trying to defend Jet Airway here but don't make an example out of it.

santi319

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Historically the worst offenders have been the regionals in the US and LCC's in Europe. unsurprisingly money does seem to buy professionalism.

I think it has more to do with the legacies having elderly pilots, rather than education (you know a lot of the elder are not very technology savy/ don't need to show off online what they have accomplished).

I promise you money does not but education....

CXfirst

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All pilots learn about fighter jet interception, but it is such a rare occurrence that for some of the aspects you really wonder if things happen as the books say. I am so, so happy to see the fighter jet rock its wings as it intercepts. The myth is true!

As for chemtrails, looking at this video, one would wonder where in the aircraft they could store so much chemicals! There is a fair amount coming out of those engines!

golfradio

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:43 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

There is a difference between loss of comm and radio silence. If it was loss of comm, squawk 7600 and your intentions are clear. The 777 has multiple communication radios- 3 VHF, 2 HF, 2 SATCOM, an ACARS datalink and SELCAL. A radio silence of 33 mins raises questions about your intentions.

Two incidents in under 3 years, on the same type, the same route and attributed to negligence resulting in radio silence tells something.

TheSonntag

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Besides I misunderstood the flight direction. Now this Video makes sense to me since apparently the plane was contacted several times and it flew to London, not from there.

In such a case it makes sense the plane was only intercepted in cologne because then obviosly it enteres Germany without radar contact coming from czech repulic. It then took some minutes to contact the plane and to alert the air policing Eurofighters.

In 20min or so flying time they can reach the plane in cologne.

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 pm

golfradio wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

There is a difference between loss of comm and radio silence. If it was loss of comm, squawk 7600 and your intentions are clear. The 777 has multiple communication radios- 3 VHF, 2 HF, 2 SATCOM, an ACARS datalink and SELCAL. A radio silence of 33 mins raises questions about your intentions.

Two incidents in under 3 years, on the same type, the same route and attributed to negligence resulting in radio silence tells something.

Every few minutes you are changing frequencies. 121.5 over Europe is a party line, so pilots turn the volume down. It is a setup for failure. There is no evidence Eurocontrol tried to raise over any other mode. or contacted airline HQ to send ACARS message.

IMHO, this airspace has become New Rome, Ohio of aviation.

2 incidents in 3 years is negligible. Every day there are incidents, but only selective incidents make news.

manny

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Found the pic of the pilot of this JET Airways aircraft:

aviatorcraig

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:54 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

Europe should fix their ATC first rather than using the error prone system to train rookies and charge airlines. Its a shame on a union which is proud of its standards.

Between the frequent hand-offs and so called party line called emergency frequency, loss of comm happens almost every day. They should fine pilots/airlines using emergency frequency for asking colleague on a date or to arrange kids birthday party. Because of this unnecessary chatter, pilots turn down emergency frequency volume.

Thank you for replying to my post. The number of questions in it you attempted to answer was exactly... zero

So if you are unable or unwilling to provide a source for your obviously in-depth knowledge of what went on here, here is another question... why do you think the rookie laden, error prone (your words not mine) European ATC system wants to "make an example" of Jet Airways specifically?

Strato2

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 am

As a precaution, the German Air Force deployed its aircraft to ensure the safety of the flight and its guests.

What?!? If there was a hijack they would shoot the plane down and kill everybody. There's nothing else RAF would be able to do.

PanHAM

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 am

Radio contact was already lost over Czech airspace and control at PRG informed the German authorities who scrambled the 2 Eurofighters from Neuburg(Donau in southern Germany. They catched up with the flight near CGN and established contact in accordance with the established rules. The first fighter approaches from the left, makes visiual contact with the cabin first and then with the Cockpit, while the second Jet stays behind and follows up once contact is established. Can be clearly seen in the Video.
BTW, no fighter Pilot can be ordered to shoot down an aircraft. There was a TV series aired last year which was simply rubbish in the assumptions made.

TheSonntag

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

[quote="PanHAM"][/quote]

It makes sense that contact was lost over Czech republic and that planes from Neuburg/Donau were dispatched.

In fact this shows how limited the air policing is regarding the prevention of a terror attack, because by the time the Eurofighters reached the plane, it would already have had time to crash into a Skyscraper in Frankfurt.

Would German planes in such a case continue to the Dutch border until being relieved by Dutch F16, btw?

PanHAM

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 am

yes, they would be in close contact with the Dutch and Belgian A/F and as NATO allies it is no preoblem. We even help out the Swiss in the evenings and Weekends. :-)

zeke

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:11 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
As a general point, it surprises me that there aren't more interceptions over the EU, the number of loss of comms I hear equates to 2 or 3 per trip. It's what the implementation of datalink needs to be sped up.

Datalink and ADS is common in the EU, I normally and squark 1000 in Europe as they have all the aircraft details via datalink and ADS. Pretty sure there has been a NTOAM for some time now that aircraft equipped with ADS should be connected with Maastricht.

One main difference Europe and lot of places in the world is that VHF frequencies are normally 6 digit, where most other places they are 5 digit.

LatAmFlyer

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm

What in the world does "[Flight crew was] de-rostered pending investigation" mean?

zeke

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Taken off active flying pending the outcome of an inquiry. Could mean nothing, training, loss of employment, loss of licence.

BartSimpson

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm

manny wrote:

How does the pic of the pilot add to the discussion - other than making this an online pillory?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:40 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
manny wrote:

How does the pic of the pilot add to the discussion - other than making this an online pillory?

manny is kidding, that picture is a joke.