Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eastafspot
Topic Author

Kenya Airways to start Victoria Falls - Cape Town

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Kenya Airways will start a direct flight between Nairobi and Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe on 18th May, 2017 three times a week - Monday, Thursday and Saturday
The new route will be linked to Cape Town, South Africa, increasing the airline’s operations to Cape Town from the current four to six. 3 flights will be via Livingstone LVI - Zambia.

KQ will be the only carrier offering direct services between Victoria Falls and Cape Town operated by Embraer E190 with a configuration of 12 business class seats and 84 economy class seats.

KQ78? NBO 0720 – 0930 VFA 1020 - CPT 1325 E90 146
KQ78? CPT 1415 – 1710 VFA 1800 - NBO 2200 E90 146

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/business-347 ... iness.aspx

It's a very good news for Victoria Falls as now there is a modern international airport. Hope KQ will offer some good fares from CPT as one could get last year from JNB ( return J ticket to HKG/CAN for only EUR850). Like ET did, I bet Durban will follow soon!

On a side note, apparently KQ opened two Simba Lounges, one at Lusaka airport (LUN) and the other Douala (DLA), but I can not find any info about this, Are those 2 airports kind of mini hubs for the airline to warrant premuim guests?

PWMRamper

Re: Kenya Airways to start Victoria Falls - Cape Town

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 am

So excited for this announcement! I've been planning a JNB/CPT/LVI trip and was trying to find the lowest cost option. With Delta miles to burn, this makes things much easier.

DexSwart

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:38 am

Great news!

KQ could probably offer great fares.

On that side note, KQ's website already lists DUR as a destination?

It hasn't been formally announced but it's only a matter of time IMO.

kq747

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 pm

eastafspot wrote:
On a side note, apparently KQ opened two Simba Lounges, one at Lusaka airport (LUN) and the other Douala (DLA), but I can not find any info about this, Are those 2 airports kind of mini hubs for the airline to warrant premuim guests?

Where did you read/hear this? I find this extremely hard to believe that KQ would open outstation lounges given their financial situation and especially at either of these airports...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 am

Just checked some OTAs and it appears that KQ792/793 is now available for booking starting from EUR 278 r/n ex-CPT.

PWMRamper wrote:
So excited for this announcement! I've been planning a JNB/CPT/LVI trip and was trying to find the lowest cost option. With Delta miles to burn, this makes things much easier.

A good idea for sure as timings are quite convenient too. The currently unhealthy low cost carrier Fastjet could have been a nice option but due to poor performances with their oversized A319, they've pulled out from the JNB-VFA route a few weeks ago. Whilst I tried a dummy award booking, on the Flying Blue website there is not the Victoria Falls' IATA code. With the Skymiles one, both LVI and VFA are missing... very odd, hope it gets fixed asap. Also taxes are higher from JNB (EUR 130) than from CPT (EUR 77).

DexSwart wrote:
On that side note, KQ's website already lists DUR as a destination?
It hasn't been formally announced but it's only a matter of time IMO.

Indeed, You are right! According to their "outdated" 10 year strategic plan Project Mawingu, DUR should have been launched in 2014, one year after CPT; So for sure they will, eventually via a city in Mozambique!

kq747 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

Where did you read/hear this? I find this extremely hard to believe that KQ would open outstation lounges given their financial situation and especially at either of these airports...

That's why it's baffling ... ;-)

For Lusaka, it could eventually make sense with the long historical ties between Kenya and Zambia and the Comesa headquarters, with a) 3 daily flights to Lusaka plus flights to Livingstone (LVI) and the Copperbelt region ( Ndola/NLA) from NBO and b) KQ daily services from Lusaka to Zambia's neighbouring countries capitals like Harare (HRE) and Lilongwe (LLW).

However, I don't get the rationality behind the Douala lounge idea if it turns out to be true!

Here are links to KQ's former website (down for one month /a month and a half max):

https://old.kenya-airways.com/kqgrounds ... s/Lounges/

https://old.kenya-airways.com/kqgrounds ... ge_Lusaka/

So the question still remains, did KQ really open these lounges in Cameroon and Zambia?

MoKa777

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Great news for Cape Town folk...

I honestly wish there was more competition between JNB and Zambia as well.

I will need to fly semi-regularly on the JNB-LUN route and even though it is a route that is as long as JNB-CPT, return airfares are +-$80 for the latter but over $400 for the former!

How SAA manages to lose money when they charge the prices that they do for many of their flights is beyond me... If I remember correctly, I once read a CAPA analysis where it was mentioned that LUN is one of SAA's biggest international markets.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos