Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BobleBrave
Topic Author

Aeroportos de Portugal set to build new airport at Lisbon

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I could not find any thread relating this and thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/new ... 2019/40559
http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/lis ... inal/41076

Current LIS Humberto Delgado (ex Portela) airport is facing growing traffic with a new record last year of 22,4 million passengers (a 11.7% increase from 2015). Seems like an MoU was signed on 16 Feb 2017 between Portuguese Government and ANA : Aeroportos de Portugal, (Vinci's subsidiary not to be confused with All Nippon Airways).

Two major decisions : building a complementary airport and construction of a new Terminal at LIS

With the airport at Portela encircled by buildings and motorways, Minister Marques said the solution is to build a new unit at Montijo just south of the Tagus River, along with an additional runway. The new airport to serve the Lisbon region, will be located some 42 km east of the city center on the South bank of the river Tagus. The site is currently used by the Portuguese Armed Forces.
“This could happen in 2019”, predicted Minister Pedro Marques, in an interview with business daily Negócios. A riverboat link between the Portuguese capital and Montijo is also currently on the drawing board, which will boost transport connections to Lisbon, which are currently restricted to the Vasco da Gama bridge.

Existing facilities will nonetheless be expanded :

Despite already aiming to spend 250 million euros at a complementary airport at Montijo south of the Tagus, ANA is reported by Diário de Notícias to have set aside 400 million euros for a new terminal in Lisbon dedicated to international flights.
The new satellite terminal is expected to be built as an island between runways and will be linked to the main terminal building by means of a tunnel

It seems Lisbon will receive a lot of new airport infrastructure in the 2020s...
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title clarification
Bob le Brave

simdubai

Re: ANA set to build new airport at Lisbon

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Interesting. I hope the new airport will handle the A380 right?

BobleBrave
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm

simdubai wrote:
Interesting. I hope the new airport will handle the A380 right?

Sorry to shatter your hopes but that won't happen. My understanding is that LIS will remain Lisbon main airport and even it is still nowhere near ready to accommodate the A380 (and who would fly there if it were? Emirates?).

The new Montijo Airport (see rendering below) will be primarily used by lowcost carriers. Interestingly though, contrary to Ryanair, it seems like EasyJet is not eager to move out of the city center.

Bob le Brave

mercure1

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

We've had plenty of threads about this over the years.

Debate about new Lisbon airport has been going on since 1969 !

There have been multiple commissions and comprehensive studies to look into the subject, but in each case be it economics, oil-crisis, politics, revolution, something pushed the plans off the table.

The latest idea - Montijo Air Force will now undergo studies, but I would not hold my breath.

Personally, I dont see the site as very optimal as its on the wrong side of the bay from central Lisbon, and would require longer and more complex travel time for bulk of client, but then again the entire geography of Lisbon area makes it difficult to establish alternate airport site.
mercure f-wtcc

BobleBrave
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

MoonC wrote:
TheGeordielad wrote:
Softaero wrote:
When I first looked at the title I wondered why a Japanese airline would want to build an airport at a city it doesn't even fly to.

Hahaha same

Me three.

You're not the only ones hehe. And that website didn't bother to wonder :

http://www.airport-technology.com/news/newsportuguese-government-signs-mou-with-ana-to-expand-capacity-at-lisbon-airport-5741862

The Portuguese Government has signed a new memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Japan airline All Nippon Airways (ANA) to expand the capacity of Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport in Portugal.

Yeah right... and rumor says ANA ordered their 3 A380 last year with the intend to open a strategic daily LIS service. :yes:
Bob le Brave

PatrickZ80

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Personally, I dont see the site as very optimal as its on the wrong side of the bay from central Lisbon, and would require longer and more complex travel time for bulk of client, but then again the entire geography of Lisbon area makes it difficult to establish alternate airport site.

But that's just why it's interesting for LCC airlines like Ryanair. They prefer cheaper airports further away from the city over more expensive airports closer to the city. Given that the current Lisbon airport is located practically in the city it's quite an expensive airport even at terminal 2 (low-cost terminal). The fact that the airport is expensive also makes the tickets more expensive. From a cheaper airport Ryanair can offer lower fares.

I agree that there are very little options for an alternative airport in the Lisbon area. Only other option I see is Alverca, which is located just north of Lisbon. Portugal has very little commercial airports anyway, only three at the mainland and the rest on the islands. For a country that size you'd expect more. Even the Netherlands, which is far smaller than Portugal, has five commercial airports and a sixth one opening in a few years.

Cunard

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

But that's just why it's interesting for LCC airlines like Ryanair. They prefer cheaper airports further away from the city over more expensive airports closer to the city. Given that the current Lisbon airport is located practically in the city it's quite an expensive airport even at terminal 2 (low-cost terminal). The fact that the airport is expensive also makes the tickets more expensive. From a cheaper airport Ryanair can offer lower fares.

I agree that there are very little options for an alternative airport in the Lisbon area. Only other option I see is Alverca, which is located just north of Lisbon. Portugal has very little commercial airports anyway, only three at the mainland and the rest on the islands. For a country that size you'd expect more. Even the Netherlands, which is far smaller than Portugal, has five commercial airports and a sixth one opening in a few years.

Ryanair are not the airline they once were and over the last few years they have actually started flying to more mainstream airports including AMS, BCN, BRU, CPH, FCO, MXP, NCE, ORY, VCE and from March FRA. Secondary airports are still are in the majority but the focus on them isn't what it was so it doesn't make any difference to Ryanair and either way the fares would still be about the same as they are now not lower.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos