kaitak
Posts: 9729
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm glad to see that this is finally happening!

I think that this is just the first stage and if the routes are successful, I think it's very likely we will see growth, not just in frequencies on the currently announced routes, but in destinations as well, and ultimately, capacity (787s instead of 7M8s).

Yes, EI must be sweating quite a bit, not just because its first salvo against Norwegian backfired, but also because this is only the first stage. EI probably isn't too pushed about ORK or SNN, much less BFS, but the prospect of D8 growing considerably at DUB must be a serious concern - and to IAG as well.

We have heard that IAG is going for an all-new operation (i.e. not Vueling or EI) to operate its new long haul loco and although BCN has been touted as the first base, with an EI 330 being used (if this is still the plan), perhaps we will now see DUB being an early base. IAG will not want to see D8 gain a major foothold in Dublin.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Pretty impressive how many seats they sold in just some hours !


Norwegian Air sells over 5,000 flights after announcing Ireland-US flights
Airline will fly 24 times a week from Dublin, Cork, Belfast and Shannon airports

Norwegian Air International said it sold more than 5,000 flights within hours of announcing services to the US from Irish airports on Thursday.

The airline will fly 24 times a week from Belfast, Cork, Dublin and Shannon to the northeastern US from July to October, when it will cut the frequency of its services for winter.

A spokesman said that it sold more than 5,000 flights within six hours of announcing details of flights from the Republic’s three State-owned airports at 11am on Thursday. “We think that it was our fastest launch sale ever,” he added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2986414
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 am

Aer Lingus reports operating profits of €233m

Aer Lingus owner IAG has reported an operating profit in line with expectations, and said it would increase cash returns to shareholders through a stock buyback.

https://sharewatchcom.wordpress.com/201 ... -of-e233m/
 
LTenEleven
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:48 am

Great to see Aer Lingus get some competition.

AmricanShamrok wrote:
And this year, SNN will have the largest number of US services in over 17 years:
- Boston
- Chicago
- New York-JFK
- New York-Newark
- New York-Stewart
- Philadelphia
- Providence


Were the Aeroflot days already 17 years ago? Time does fly...
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 am

IAG plans to introduce Airbus SE A321LR single-aisle planes which should deliver lower per-seat costs. Mr. Walsh said the plane could be used across IAG’s network, on flights to and from the U.S. to Ireland, the U.K., and Spain. Other destinations, such as in Africa, that don’t warrant a larger, more expensive widebody aircraft, also could be served by the new plane, Mr. Walsh said. IAG is in talks with Airbus and lessors about acquiring A321LRs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/british-ai ... 1487922346

---

Aer Lingus made an operating profit of €233m for last year, an improvement of €109m over the previous year on a like for like basis.

The airline's capacity rose by 9.6% with the introduction of two additional Airbus A330s to support its longhaul expansion, including new destinations such as Los Angeles and Newark in the US.

But due to significant industry pressure, the airline's passenger yields were down last year.

The company, which is owned by the IAG Group, said the increase in operating profit reflected the benefit of a lower fuel price environment and cost savings, partially offset by the revenue weakness.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/02 ... g-results/
 
User avatar
hispanola
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am

It's great to see that IAG wants to purchase A321LRs for EI. They are the most logical replacement for the 4 757s, and acquiring a few more could help EI expand into other secondary U.S. East-Coast markets. If/when they enter One World, these A321LRs could be sent to PHL to compliment AA's service. Maybe PIT or BWI might be considered as well. IB could probably use theirs to re-start IAD and compete with UA.

What confuses me is the use that Willy Walsh sees for an A321LR in BA. There seems to be a lot of demand in the TATL market between LHR and the United States. So long as EI can expand, however, I don't care. :D
✈️
 
Dardania
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:05 am

hispanola wrote:
It's great to see that IAG wants to purchase A321LRs for EI. They are the most logical replacement for the 4 757s, and acquiring a few more could help EI expand into other secondary U.S. East-Coast markets. If/when they enter One World, these A321LRs could be sent to PHL to compliment AA's service. Maybe PIT or BWI might be considered as well. IB could probably use theirs to re-start IAD and compete with UA.

What confuses me is the use that Willy Walsh sees for an A321LR in BA. There seems to be a lot of demand in the TATL market between LHR and the United States. So long as EI can expand, however, I don't care. :D


For BA, there are cases where they may be sending 767s or 787s today that only warrant the capacity of an A321...
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:22 am

DY have responded to EI on twitter. thanking them for the advertising but EI fired back highlighting no public transport. DY are saying transport services will be available for all flights arriving to NYC.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/834856092496691201
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am

hispanola wrote:
It's great to see that IAG wants to purchase A321LRs for EI.


They will be great for routes that have not been cost effective before. Also we may see a few daytime flights Eastbound again although these will be limited due to lack of connection changes after DUB.


As for EI and Twitter they really shot themselves in the foot again and should check facts before they Tweet !!


''Stewart, about 50 miles from Manhattan and less than an hour from northern New Jersey, served more than 275,000 passengers in 2016, but projections for 2017 are about 400,000 passengers with as many as 700,000 in 2018. The airport also will increase connectivity to Manhattan with additional buses offering direct service from the airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal for just $18 each way, Cuomo said. ''


http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/St ... 04033.html



If they concentrated their energy more on sorting out this mess instead of trying to sour D8's news then people might be able to get into their accounts and get AVIOS credited . One just needs to read here to see the mess :


Image
Image
 
eicvd
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:03 pm

I think the EI Twitter account is run by kids, they did post a pic of an A330 last year & named it 'Planey McPlaneface'. A desperate & pathetic attempt at humour & attention.
COYBIB
 
shamrock321
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

The EI results are fantastic! When you look at the group they are far more profitable than VY and made almost as much money as IB which is impressive given the size of the operations!

The sooner the better the 321s are confirmed and delivered, it opens real potential for EI.
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:08 pm

eicvd wrote:
I think the EI Twitter account is run by kids, they did post a pic of an A330 last year & named it 'Planey McPlaneface'. A desperate & pathetic attempt at humour & attention.


Come on its only a bit of fun, shouldn't take it so serious!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
IB which is impressive given the size of the operations!

.


Speaking of IB they deserve a mention as they really have done well. I continue to be impressed with their product and have had great flights recently on IB mainline and IBX.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2485
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 pm

The Twitter thing is fun. clearly the people/team who look after the twitter account aren't involved with AerClub. They are just a face for the airline on the twittersphere. Most teams looking after their companies twitter account would have key metrics which stunts like these will improve.

Clearly EI (and IAG) are concerned by D8 - they are not "ruining their party" for the fun of it. They don't want the transatlantic cash cow milked dry.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

Clearly EI (and IAG) are concerned by D8 - they are not "ruining their party" for the fun of it. They don't want the transatlantic cash cow milked dry.


Whether or not the Twitter rants are deemed fun is a case of personal opinion. Personally I think that sometimes they try to be FR and it backfires. I think they are much better on Twitter when they are promoting their own product and especially coverage of sports events etc... They have a good Twitter/Social media team when they do that. Being sarky does not suit them especially when they get the facts wrong!

AerClub was always going to get constant coverage on their Twitter page especially when they made and continue to make such a balls up of it. Aer Lingus dropped the ball big time with AerClub.

Of course EI are concerned about their TATL operation but they can hold their own. They tried to block ET to LAX but that did not work either. Competition is a great thing and I do not see D8 as a major threat but they most certainly have a place in the Irish market.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Indeed those are some impressive results by Aer Lingus given its size! Shame the A321neoLR wasn't confirmed today, everything seems to move at a snails pace at IAG and it's interesting to note Willie Walsh now sees room for the aircraft at all airlines across the group, I seriously hope Aer Lingus is still top of that list!

Walsh also said Norwegian was "just another competitor" and lets be honest, he's right, Aer Lingus is hardly a newbie when it comes to competition!

OA260 wrote:
If they concentrated their energy more on sorting out this mess instead of trying to sour D8's news then people might be able to get into their accounts and get AVIOS credited . One just needs to read here to see the mess :


In the sake of fairness:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

:white:

eicvd wrote:
I think the EI Twitter account is run by kids, they did post a pic of an A330 last year & named it 'Planey McPlaneface'. A desperate & pathetic attempt at humour & attention.

Guess what, everything about social media is about humour and attention!

While you may think it's desperate and pathetic, others lap it up and within hours those tweets are headlines in online editions of The Sun, The Metro, Irish Mirror, The Journal and loads more. The recent banter with Air New Zealand over the rugby was recognised worldwide, it was genuinely entertaining to see two major brands have fun like that and it created a feel good vibe around the brands in question.

It's advertising that no airline can buy and all in just 140 characters.
 
kaitak
Posts: 9729
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 pm

I think EI is quite good at Twitter generally - and better than FR. As regards AerClub, they can't (as the saying goes) "polish a turd"; it really has been a complete balls-up. As Oscar Wilde might say, to make a mess of one FFP is unlucky; to make a mess of two is just carelessness. I'm sure the Twitter comments above are just a small sample of the general reaction; it has been a PR disaster and it's probably a very good subject for a business study into a project which was done at a budget and the company didn't really have the vision or interest to do more than the bare minimum. God only knows what is being said to Stevie K at IAG meetings, because this reflects badly on IAG too.
 
shamrock321
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 pm

To say that IAG is concerned about Norwegian is an understatement! As my employer I can tell you they view them as a big threat and they have no problem telling us about it and what we need to do to counter the attack. Just look at FLL and OAK being launched from LGW this summer and JFK a few months ago. I wonder if there might be some kind of counter in Ireland.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
I wonder if there might be some kind of counter in Ireland.


A380 on BOS/JFK-DUB. :duck:
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
styles9002
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 pm

D8/DY have certainly had an immediate impact with their new routes. Overall, it is a positive for Ireland (and Scotland) aviation as well as tourism. I do think out of all the incumbent carriers, Aer Lingus will be the one with most to lose for a few reasons. Firstly, EI carry a not insignificant amount of pax between Scotland and the USA and I think D8 will siphon off a some of this with their EDI routes. Additionally, D8 will likely claim some of EI's Irish-origin pax too that is a big part of EI's market share between Ireland and the US. D8 certainly won't put EI off any routes but they will probably cause some harm to yield & loads.

On a general note, I also think too many people fixate on these secondary airport issues. For instance, I live in Westchester County and it takes me a minimum of 45 minutes to get to JFK with no traffic. Most days it is at least 1.5 hours as the Van Wyck is almost always jammed. SWF is 50 miles north of me and will take 50-55 minutes or so. Not everyone using JFK is going into Manhattan.
It is what it is.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:30 pm

kaitak wrote:
As regards AerClub, they can't (as the saying goes) "polish a turd"; it really has been a complete balls-up. As Oscar Wilde might say, to make a mess of one FFP is unlucky; to make a mess of two is just carelessness. I'm sure the Twitter comments above are just a small sample of the general reaction; it has been a PR disaster and it's probably a very good subject for a business study into a project which was done at a budget and the company didn't really have the vision or interest to do more than the bare minimum.


All AerClub is to me is a way to earn Avios on my every day purchases. Once my pile grows, it's transfer of the Avios to BA. Unless something changes, I have no reason to credit anything apart from the occasional EI flight to AerClub.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
tonystan
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:18 pm

eicvd wrote:
I think the EI Twitter account is run by kids, they did post a pic of an A330 last year & named it 'Planey McPlaneface'. A desperate & pathetic attempt at humour & attention.


Life and soul of the party right here!


If you remember what was in the news at the time I think you'll remember that it was actually a pretty timely and hilarious poke at it something topical.

I generally really enjoy the Aer Lingus social media team. Young and fresh and free of the usual corporate stuffyness of others such as BA who really could learn a thing or two from Aer Lingus.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
eicvd
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Oh no, how dare someone criticise the much loved, pride & joy of Ireland, all hail the mighty Aer Lingus. I sincerely apologise.......
COYBIB
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 pm

kaitak wrote:
As regards AerClub, they can't (as the saying goes) "polish a turd"; it really has been a complete balls-up. As Oscar Wilde might say, to make a mess of one FFP is unlucky; to make a mess of two is just carelessness. I'm sure the Twitter comments above are just a small sample of the general reaction; it has been a PR disaster and it's probably a very good subject for a business study into a project which was done at a budget and the company didn't really have the vision or interest to do more than the bare minimum. God only knows what is being said to Stevie K at IAG meetings, because this reflects badly on IAG too.


Agreed. What most people say to me is that they should have issued a proper statement admit they had unforeseen technical issues. Tell the truth hold their hands up and ask for time to fix it and give a realistic time frame even if they said it would be 2-3 months and that officially state that no one would loose any flights not credited etc... We got information in drips and drabs. The moving of the goal posts and language used about first being fully launched to later ''Next phase'' which was suddenly thrown out there. No surprise people got angry. I understand that AerClub were overwhelmed when lots of people signed up then the system of moving former GC members to the new program failed but that is when a customer/media release should have kicked into action to do damage limitation. Instead they got all this bad PR and negative feeling on something that should have been mostly good PR ( despite some disgruntled former GC members) .


Posted on here before at the time by another member but still very much the reality today. Now just scroll to the comments and see the people that are effected and who they work for and positions they hold ! They are not amateurs.Some big companies there.


How NOT to treat customers who want to sign up to your loyalty program

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-trea ... imon-klaus



shamrock321 wrote:
Just look at FLL and OAK being launched from LGW this summer and JFK a few months ago. I wonder if there might be some kind of counter in Ireland.


If D8 were to launch B787 flights DUB-FLL that would really rattle cages! Norwegian consistently offer very decent fares and cheap one ways on the LGW-FLL route.

styles9002 wrote:

On a general note, I also think too many people fixate on these secondary airport issues. For instance, I live in Westchester County and it takes me a minimum of 45 minutes to get to JFK with no traffic. Most days it is at least 1.5 hours as the Van Wyck is almost always jammed. SWF is 50 miles north of me and will take 50-55 minutes or so. Not everyone using JFK is going into Manhattan.


Exactly and that is what people are missing.They think that no one wants to fly to SWF or PVD . Just two examples in this thread of how people do and EIBOSTON saved over 2K which is massive. Another thing to watch is BFS as people travelling down to Dublin who live not far from BFS will actually be better to and quicker to fly into SWF. For many it will be a case of 2 hours down to Dublin or fly to SWF and 90 mins to Manhattan. Of course people will have their preferences but many will go with price when they see how easy it is to get to the same place.

We have seen examples of people posting higher fares with D8 but like Aer Lingus who push EUR199 each way they are not always there. Like Aer Lingus there are different fare buckets and when they sell the lowest the fares go up. Not rocket science. D8 never claimed to offer all seats at EUR140 return. Had Aer Lingus really wanted to take some of the fame from D8 they could have launched a flash sale of EUR199 return to BOS and JFK for 6-7 hours. That really would have been good PR for EI. Even with higher D8 fares if you live closer to PVD/SWF and if taking into account a checked bag there is still EUR100 difference then I guess they will go D8.

ClassicLover wrote:
All AerClub is to me is a way to earn Avios on my every day purchases. Once my pile grows, it's transfer of the Avios to BA. Unless something changes, I have no reason to credit anything apart from the occasional EI flight to AerClub.


I actually do want to have AerClub as my main account being Ireland based especially when / if we see them in OW. I will still keep my Star Gold but flying EI quite a lot it just makes sense. I will still earn via BA/IB accounts on various partners but then decide when and if to pool them into one account. For instance there are times when it is better cost wise to book redemptions on IB rather then with Exec Club.

Once they get their act together and AerClub works as it should I have no doubt it will be a decent enough program. At least they have that going for them!
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm

hispanola wrote:
It's great to see that IAG wants to purchase A321LRs for EI. They are the most logical replacement for the 4 757s, and acquiring a few more could help EI expand into other secondary U.S. East-Coast markets.


Agree. The A321LR seems like the logical 757 replacement for Aer Lingus - they should be a good fit for linking DUB with smaller markets in the northeastern U.S.

hispanola wrote:
If/when they enter One World, these A321LRs could be sent to PHL to compliment AA's service.


Once Aer Lingus is in oneworld and integrated into the existing AA-IAG ATI/JV, I can definitely imagine a second daily flight PHL-DUB complimenting the existing daily AA flight - whether an A321 or A330 - at least in summer. What might make sense is to space out two daily flights, one AA and one Aer Lingus, with eastbound departures both earlier and later evening (say, 1800 and 2130) to meet the connecting banks the following morning at DUB, and the westbound departures spaced out (say, 1100 and 1430) for banks at both DUB and PHL.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm

I am very excited to see the news about D8 and all these routes. In terms of the impact to DUB, is a case for saying that particularly in summer the impact to EI will be small, because any bleed on the O&D front could potentially be made up with more passengers from connections? you guys are closer to that side of things than i am on the US side of the pond, so just a question to see if there could be any reality to that?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I am very excited to see the news about D8 and all these routes. In terms of the impact to DUB, is a case for saying that particularly in summer the impact to EI will be small, because any bleed on the O&D front could potentially be made up with more passengers from connections? you guys are closer to that side of things than i am on the US side of the pond, so just a question to see if there could be any reality to that?


Yeah they will make point to point losses with transit however yield per passenger is bound to drop. Chances are it will be winter 17/18 and summer 18 before EI and most can judge the full impacts of DY. A flash sale like yesterday will be rare.
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 pm

eicvd wrote:
Oh no, how dare someone criticise the much loved, pride & joy of Ireland, all hail the mighty Aer Lingus. I sincerely apologise.......


I find posters here are some of EIs biggest critics. Not sure why your so annoyed about it.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Another bit of news from the IAG announcement today was Willie Walsh stating the rumours of a CSeries order were inaccurate and that they're not even looking at the aircraft at the moment.

Shame, I still believe Aer Lingus need an aircraft of that size going forward but without BA, IB and YV on board, it's unlikely IAG will ever order an aircraft just for EI. The comments regarding the A321LR prove that, what was ideal for Aer Lingus is now suddenly required by all IAG carriers when only EI has a proven business case for it.

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:
Oh no, how dare someone criticise the much loved, pride & joy of Ireland, all hail the mighty Aer Lingus. I sincerely apologise.......


I find posters here are some of EIs biggest critics. Not sure why your so annoyed about it.

:checkmark:

I think posters here tend to be fair most of the time, if anything Aer Lingus is often under the most scrutiny. That response is predictable.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
what was ideal for Aer Lingus is now suddenly required by all IAG carriers when only EI has a proven business case for it.



Although who is to say that IB for example might not benefit with this type of A/C on some of its network and maybe IAG are looking at EI and thinking that other routes within the IAG group would work too.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
what was ideal for Aer Lingus is now suddenly required by all IAG carriers when only EI has a proven business case for it.



Although who is to say that IB for example might not benefit with this type of A/C on some of its network and maybe IAG are looking at EI and thinking that other routes within the IAG group would work too.

Well obviously I think that's what they're saying but as it currently stands EI is the only IAG carrier flying narrow body aircraft across the Atlantic (unless you can count OpenSkies) and is in need of a replacement type within the next 3-5 years.

I think BA's recent interest in the UK regions could be one to watch, the aircraft could open a few select east coast destinations from MAN, EDI or even NCL if that's the direction they're headed. Not familiar enough to IB's network to comment, does the aircraft even have the range to North America from MAD or would Africa be of more interest to them?
 
321neo
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 pm

eicvd wrote:
I think the EI Twitter account is run by kids, they did post a pic of an A330 last year & named it 'Planey McPlaneface'. A desperate & pathetic attempt at humour & attention.


Context is everything.

This was after a much publicised news item in the UK where a new marine research vessel was voted via an online poll to be named 'Boaty McBoatface'.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36225652

They were simply grabbing onto a topic which was trending at the time. The EI post got thousands of retweets so certainly a success from their point of view..
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:33 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
I think BA's recent interest in the UK regions could be one to watch, the aircraft could open a few select east coast destinations from MAN, EDI or even NCL if that's the direction they're headed. Not familiar enough to IB's network to comment, does the aircraft even have the range to North America from MAD or would Africa be of more interest to them?


Agreed it is amazing how history maybe repeating itself after BA pulling the plug years ago. Of course when the costs are a lot lower it makes sense for BA to go back with a new model. IB could indeed look to serve lighter routes ex MAD to Africa. I have seen some maps in the past showing the ranges from MAD and it looks interesting.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 am

Emirates Northern Ireland passenger numbers soar by 50% at Dublin Airport

The boss of airline Emirates says the number of Northern Ireland passengers using its Dubai flights from Dublin has increased by more than 50% in one year.
Enda Corneille told the Belfast Telegraph that the airline had grown to two flights each day from Dublin, in the space of one year.

It now carries up to 800 passengers each day to Dubai, and onwards to a further 150 destinations.

"The news is that we have just celebrated five years into Dublin. We have carried 1.2 million passengers in that time and 120,000 tonnes of cargo," he said.
"We started off with a single aircraft, and now it's double daily. And given how much the business has grown, the next logical step would be to bring a flagship aircraft, such as the A380.

"The earliest that could happen would be summer 2018."

Speaking about business among passengers from Northern Ireland, he said: "Our business from Northern Ireland is plus 51% on last year, people getting the bus or driving down. So, huge growth. Dubai is one of the most popular destinations, long haul, for Northern Ireland passengers. We have staff in Belfast. Northern Ireland leisure customers, business customers, exporters are using the service."

Mr Corneille added that customers from here were opting to travel to Dublin to fly to the Middle East, rather than going through hubs such as London.

And while he said setting up in Belfast was "not on the cards at the moment ... who knows where the business is going".

Speaking about whether the airline would be less inclined to move to Belfast if competitors - such as Etihad, which has discussed setting up here - came into the market, he said: "It's hard to look into the future. We are used to competition.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 77247.html
 
kaitak
Posts: 9729
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:56 pm

shamrock350 wrote:


JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:
Oh no, how dare someone criticise the much loved, pride & joy of Ireland, all hail the mighty Aer Lingus. I sincerely apologise.......


I find posters here are some of EIs biggest critics. Not sure why your so annoyed about it.

:checkmark:

I think posters here tend to be fair most of the time, if anything Aer Lingus is often under the most scrutiny. That response is predictable.


I agree. Some say this is an EI fan club and to a certain extent it is, because most of us are very interested in it, but that also means that we expect a lot from EI and when it falls well short of the mark, as it has with Aer Club, then we tell it as it is. They made a pig's ear of it. Heads should roll, because a failure at this level, which I would argue is one of the less complex parts of running an airline (compared to what's involved in getting an A330 from DUB to the US each day, day in day out, safely), is far below what EI is capable of. Sugar coating does no one any good. It's not intended to be gratuitously bitchy or unconstructively critical. EI is capable of being a top class airline and in many areas it is, so when it comes out with something which falls so far below that level, then yes, it serves to get a metaphorical clip around the ear.

Times are changing and the arrival of Norwegian signals significant changes. EI needs to be ready to respond, not just by Twitter, but by anticipating how best to make sure its product remains competitive. What we are seeing now is just the first wave; D8 will expand a LOT more in Ireland and competing with them effectively is going to need a lot more than pithy Twitter remarks.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm

kaitak wrote:
D8 will expand a LOT more in Ireland and competing with them effectively is going to need a lot more than pithy Twitter remarks.


Rumors that another LCC will look at seasonal BFS-Canada for 2018.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2485
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 pm

kaitak wrote:
They made a pig's ear of it. Heads should roll, because a failure at this level, which I would argue is one of the less complex parts of running an airline (compared to what's involved in getting an A330 from DUB to the US each day, day in day out, safely), is far below what EI is capable of. Sugar coating does no one any good. It's not intended to be gratuitously bitchy or unconstructively critical. EI is capable of being a top class airline and in many areas it is, so when it comes out with something which falls so far below that level, then yes, it serves to get a metaphorical clip around the ear.


They certainly dropped the ball. Frankly, it reflects badly on both Avios and Aer Lingus. Why its been implemented so badly by EI escapes me. Its like a bad Beta gone wrong. The GC infrastructure wasn't brilliant and was probably ancient, but that it was beyond the wit of the IT department at EI, Avios and IAG to generate and export a list of names, GC numbers and Tier Points is an appalling refection. The worst of it was that it didn't even need to be automatic as customers were asked to link their CG accounts themselves.

The frustrating thing is that the Avios platform is fully functioning and has been for years. Avois Group Limited must have been involved in the roll-out of Avios into Ireland via Aer Club. I doubt anyone at HOB got Supervalu, BoI or the Indo involved under their own steam. EI clearly have no appreciation of the amount of usable customer data FFP's can generate, much less how to use it. If they did they would see that Aer Club is a significant competitive advantage against DY, and to a lesser extent FR, instead of a cost of a few Avios for each flights members take.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23639
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:48 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
. Avois Group Limited must have been involved in the roll-out of Avios into Ireland via Aer Club..


A few days ago I got a PM from a reliable source who actually works closely with AVIOS UK ( although I never knew that before ) . Eye opener is all I can say and I would not be laying the blame at AVIOS but cant go into detail.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

IAG to 'intensively' grow Aer Lingus as profits soar

Aer Lingus has become IAG's "most profitable tool" in terms of its return on invested capital, and the airline group will be growing the carrier "intensively", according to IAG's chief financial officer, Enrique Dupuy.

He made the comments yesterday as IAG said that Aer Lingus made a record €233m operating profit last year, €109m more than in 2015.

The increase was helped by lower fuel costs and stable employee costs despite growth.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 80437.html

- IAG need and want to exploit growth opportunities at Aer Lingus
- Stephen Kavanagh confirmed the airline is considering the introduction of a seat-only fare on its transatlantic services
- Walsh see's no room for a business only transatlantic service from DUB, described the idea as a "financial disaster"

Shamrock350
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
IAG to 'intensively' grow Aer Lingus as profits soar

Aer Lingus has become IAG's "most profitable tool" in terms of its return on invested capital, and the airline group will be growing the carrier "intensively", according to IAG's chief financial officer, Enrique Dupuy.

He made the comments yesterday as IAG said that Aer Lingus made a record €233m operating profit last year, €109m more than in 2015.

The increase was helped by lower fuel costs and stable employee costs despite growth.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 80437.html

- IAG need and want to exploit growth opportunities at Aer Lingus
- Stephen Kavanagh confirmed the airline is considering the introduction of a seat-only fare on its transatlantic services
- Walsh see's no room for a business only transatlantic service from DUB, described the idea as a "financial disaster"

Shamrock350


Knew they would be looking at Seat Only fare, good option IMO.
 
User avatar
SuperSix2
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 am

Hi folks

Has anybody else heard the whispers of Airbus sending an A380 to Dub on Mar 26??
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:30 am

SuperSix2 wrote:
Hi folks

Has anybody else heard the whispers of Airbus sending an A380 to Dub on Mar 26??

Enda Corneille, Emirates Ireland Manager tweeted a photo of the A380 simply with the date March 26th and there had been a few rumours before claiming a visit was imminent. Apparently DUB isn't quite set up for regular A380 ops and quite a bit of work is needed so I wonder what purpose a visit by the A380 would have?

Some may remember Mr Corneille from his time at Aer Lingus, he was Commercial Director and all round spokesperson for the airline during Dermot Mannion's leadership, a time not many people will back on fondly.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 am

Interesting figures relating to the aviation leasing business in Ireland in this news story.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 82525.html


As for the EI FFP, well as the only Gold Card statements of mine that tended to be correct were the ones where I had no flights at all, I was not expecting very much.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8336
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:25 pm

I hear that Monday night / Tuesday Morning will have a dumping of Snow at DUB. Is this accurate?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I hear that Monday night / Tuesday Morning will have a dumping of Snow at DUB. Is this accurate?


Some possible showers but its largely on high ground, sleet/rain/hail on low ground with Monday night been largely dry in the East. Wouldn't expect significant disruption based on current forecasts.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
I actually do want to have AerClub as my main account being Ireland based especially when / if we see them in OW. I will still keep my Star Gold but flying EI quite a lot it just makes sense. I will still earn via BA/IB accounts on various partners but then decide when and if to pool them into one account. For instance there are times when it is better cost wise to book redemptions on IB rather then with Exec Club.

Once they get their act together and AerClub works as it should I have no doubt it will be a decent enough program. At least they have that going for them!


That's the kicker for me, the oneworld issue. As I fly back and forth between Ireland and Australia it makes zero sense for me to credit to Aer Club as I don't get access to the oneworld lounges with them. All my EI flights will credit to Aer Club of course. That will change once BA offer tier points for flying EI.

Until they join oneworld it will remain a secondary programme to me. You're 100% right regarding IB, I keep reading about this all the time. I really need to join their programme soon.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
AirbusA343
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I hear that Monday night / Tuesday Morning will have a dumping of Snow at DUB. Is this accurate?

Nope, mainly dry. The action will generally be in the west but some showers will make it farther east. They will probably fall as rain and hail and maybe the odd snow shower.
 
JAmie2k9
Topic Author
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:20 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
SuperSix2 wrote:
Hi folks

Has anybody else heard the whispers of Airbus sending an A380 to Dub on Mar 26??

Enda Corneille, Emirates Ireland Manager tweeted a photo of the A380 simply with the date March 26th and there had been a few rumours before claiming a visit was imminent. Apparently DUB isn't quite set up for regular A380 ops and quite a bit of work is needed so I wonder what purpose a visit by the A380 would have?

Some may remember Mr Corneille from his time at Aer Lingus, he was Commercial Director and all round spokesperson for the airline during Dermot Mannion's leadership, a time not many people will back on fondly.


Now tweeted 14.10 on 26 March

On a side note I notice the evening service has turnaround at 2h15m up from 2h last summer. Best flight for connections to AUS/NZ so could we expect it on that if it's announced then or next year? Think it's most suitable time for DUB operationally as well.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 2/17

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:34 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
EI is the only IAG carrier flying narrow body aircraft across the Atlantic (unless you can count OpenSkies)


Not strictly true... BA1 :duck:

Regarding growth of Aer Lingus, I keep thinking that it might be time for EI to step it up and instead of being conservative start attacking growth opportunities... While I appreciate the risk factor, EI is placed well for an order of 100+ A320's, implementation of night-stops for crew and a commitment to the DUBHUB. Conservative is great but there is a time and place for pro active decisions, and I think a large order, plus a further 10 to 15 widebodies would benefit EI, IAG and force competition.

That would give EI a fleet of 130ish, if we say that order of 100 includes replacements for the current short haul fleet. Big enough to be a big player, but not too big.

Drastic I know, but another Irish airline has been very successful in that tactic (minus the HUB aspect)
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 2/17

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:45 pm

RRTrent wrote:
Not strictly true... BA1 :duck:

Regarding growth of Aer Lingus, I keep thinking that it might be time for EI to step it up and instead of being conservative start attacking growth opportunities... While I appreciate the risk factor, EI is placed well for an order of 100+ A320's, implementation of night-stops for crew and a commitment to the DUBHUB. Conservative is great but there is a time and place for pro active decisions, and I think a large order, plus a further 10 to 15 widebodies would benefit EI, IAG and force competition.


Love BA1 - would love to fly it again!

The rest of your post I am gobsmacked at, really. There is no economic rationale for what you propose and if there was, Aer Lingus would be taking advantage of it.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos