PHBVF
Topic Author

Air Austral at EDFH

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Looking through the database I found the picture below and I was wondering what an Air Austral 777 was doing at EDFH?
Surely no codeshare with Ryanair for EDFH-FMEE I guess :)

Licensed 777/787 driver

SXI899

Re: Air Austral at EDFH

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Maintenance at HAITEC? It hasn't flown since that photo.
We deliver......

RobK

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Came from CDG after operating a revenue flight from Reunion and according to FR24 is still at Hahn. Interesting.

PHBVF
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Maintenance makes sense... If it was positioning for a charter it would've been long gone
Licensed 777/787 driver

AOMlover

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Could it be a military charter? Air Austral had applied to the DOT to operate such flights for the US military.

filipair

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Why post "EDFH" instead of "HHN"? or just "Hahn"? Most people on here don't know ICAO codes.

PHBVF
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am

AOMlover wrote:
Could it be a military charter? Air Austral had applied to the DOT to operate such flights for the US military.

They received their DOT permit on January 19th, so that could be it. However I would think the aircraft would have moved since this picture if that were the case.

filipair wrote:
Why post "EDFH" instead of "HHN"? or just "Hahn"? Most people on here don't know ICAO codes.

Just a personal thing I guess, I rarely know IATA codes, and know most ICAO codes. Plus I don't see anyone being confused about it...
Licensed 777/787 driver

Channex757

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:45 am

Just done a quick Google and came across a Wikipedia reference to the 773ER aircraft. They are apparently swapping out two existing 773ERs for new builds from Air Lease. Might this be one that's been withdrawn and is either getting end of lease work done, or is in temporary storage?

PHBVF
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Just done a quick Google and came across a Wikipedia reference to the 773ER aircraft. They are apparently swapping out two existing 773ERs for new builds from Air Lease. Might this be one that's been withdrawn and is either getting end of lease work done, or is in temporary storage?

Two years ago Air Austral ordered two 777-300ERs, to replace their two oldest aircraft. That were the F-OSYD and the F-ONOU.
The F-OREU was supposed to stay.

Currently Air Austral has no more aircraft on order.
Licensed 777/787 driver

Cunard

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:46 pm

filipair wrote:

Absolutely I find it so annoying, who the hell knows every ICAO codes when IATA codes are used every day in aviation.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

VirginFlyer

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Cunard wrote:
filipair wrote:

Absolutely I find it so annoying, who the hell knows every ICAO codes when IATA codes are used every day in aviation.

ICAO codes are equally used every day in aviation. That's why they exist. If you're more in the operations or technical side of things as opposed to the sales and customer facing stuff, then you're naturally going to have greater exposure to the ICAO codes than the IATA codes.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Cunard

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:29 am

Yes but if your a regular passenger which most of us are we are more familiar with IATA codes as that is what is on our tickets and baggage labels not ICAO codes.

When I took a degree in Travel & Tourism it was IATA codes that was used never ICAO codes, maybe if you work or are involved in operations or the technical side of things the ICAO may be used but as far as the travel industry is concerned and obviously the airlines from a passenger perspective they use the IATA codes which every one is familiar with.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

JKPhotos
Screener

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

No need to speculate, F-OREU is at Hahn for Maintenance (at Haitec).

Otherwise I agree using an IATA Code makes more sense, as first they are much more familiar for people not working in the industry (as a traveller you will deal with them) and second they reveal easier which airport it is.
For example a lot of people can guess that FRA is Frankfurt or HHN is Hahn, but EDDF or EDFH?!?!

PaulYUL

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

The beauty of ICAO code is that it gives you a hint of which part of the world it it located. Of course in the US and Canada the IATA and ICAO code are compatible (ICAO= C or K + IATA Code) but they are the only countries which have access to the last 3 digits of the ICAO Code. The other countries have only access to the last two digits ( e.g. All german airport start with ED)

PHBVF
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 pm

I think this is discussion is completely off topic. As I said: personal preference.
On a site like this there is something to be said for both.
As PaulYUL said the ICAO code gives a hint where an airport is, even if you don't know the full code.
As a pax you might see the IATA codes earlier, however as someone living in Europe I will rarely see IATA codes in Africa and Australia.
Licensed 777/787 driver

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos