Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Smoking Ban, when was it implemented?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 am

As a non smoker I had a few questions about the smoking ban, maybe you guys could help me by answering them?
- When was it implemented?
- Which airline was the first to implement it?
- At first was it just select airlines before becoming a rule?
- Which country was the first to place a law on it?
- When did it become an international/ICAO rule?

Thank you for anwsering the questions, I know I have a lot of them!
Sébastien C. Tourillon

Newbiepilot

Re: Smoking Ban, when was it implemented?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:32 am

In the United States, smoking was banned in shorter flights in 1988 and longer domestic flights in 1990. It took a few years for US airlines to end smoking on international flights.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/busi ... .html?_r=0
Last edited by Newbiepilot on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkojq

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:34 am

I'm pretty sure that Richard Branson/VS tries to take credit for this. Not sure how legitimate their claim is.
First to fly the 787-9

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 am

In the U.S., Northwest deserves credit for going further than the first FAA rule which mandated flights under two hours be non-smoking.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988 ... -faa-order

Chemist

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 am

I remember flying Muse Air to Midland/Odessa TX at a time when they had gone NS but before most other airlines had banned smoking. Don't remember the year but probably mid 80's.

LTU932

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 am

Last time I flew during the 1990s, LT had banned smoking on flights to and from the United States, smoking to other destinations was allowed though. That was 1997, my flight was LT 932 (hence the username), which continued from SJO to ADZ. The whole routing was DUS-MIA-SJO-ADZ and back. I have no idea if, by that logic, they allowed smoking on that part of the route, I guess probably not.

I believe it must've been like 1995 or 1996 when the ban on smoking to/from the US was in place, at least for foreign airlines. I recall watching about the issue on TV during that time.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Wingtips56

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 am

The State of California banned smoking on intrastate flights a few years before the Feds did. After the AA/AirCal merger in 1987, we'd have smoking on the SMF-DFW/ORD flights but not on the SMF-SNA/ONT/LAX flights. You'd notice the difference on opening the aircraft door.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

robsaw

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 am

1989 for domestic flights in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1989-s ... ic-flights

OA412

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:35 am

DL was the first US carrier to ban smoking on all international flights in 1996. Most other US carriers followed soon thereafter. I don't recall if UA did this, but I know NW banned smoking on all flights other than flights to/from Japan. I believe they were the last of the major US airlines to go non-smoking systemwide.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dfwjim1

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 am

I always thought it was strange that smoking was ever allowed on commercial aircraft .

southwest1675

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:45 am

I also believe Air Canada 797 kinda started the movement to ban smoking on flights.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TripleA

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:47 am

Well according to Wikipedia, in the U.S. the ban began with domestic flights under 2 hours in 1988, and it was completely banned on all flights (domestic/international) in 2000.

alggag

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 am

I am so glad that I'm too young to really remember this being a thing. I took a flight on AM with my family back in the 90s which is, as far as I know, my only time being on a plane where smoking was allowed and it was horrible experience. I really feel bad for crewmembers that had to deal with day in and day out for years.

Spiderguy252

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 am

I remember reading in a SriLankan Airlines inflight magazine as late as 2000 that 'Smoking is disallowed on all flights except those to Tokyo". The aircraft in question was a spanking new A330-200 and had indicator LEDs depicting the Non-Smoking sign, as well as ashtrays on the armrest.
Vahroone

thegoldenargosy

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:26 am

I think it's hilarious that there were "Non-Smoking Sections".

In the US Muse Air was the first non smoking airline. Northwest was the first major airline to ban smoking.

INFINITI329

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
The State of California banned smoking on intrastate flights a few years before the Feds did. After the AA/AirCal merger in 1987, we'd have smoking on the SMF-DFW/ORD flights but not on the SMF-SNA/ONT/LAX flights. You'd notice the difference on opening the aircraft door.

i wonder if any airline challenged this in court.

69bug

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:55 am

Lufthansa still had smoking sectors at least up to around 1997. After that it was only available on flights to Japan.

Frankfurt airport however was a full-blown smoking airport for much longer. They had designated 'smoker's area', which was not partitioned off, in the general gate area. I think it was only around 2003 that the gates become more smoke free. This was after some much delayed renovation work.

One thing I remember is that regular flyers who smoked did not want smoking seats, preferring instead to walk back, have a puff, and then return to the nicer smoke free zone.

Anil

ArtV

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 am

Domestic bans on smoking to effect 1 December 1987 in Australia. Airlines were allows to apply for bans for domestic flights less than 90 minutes for the year prior to this on a case-by-case basis.

RalXWB

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am

My last smoking flight was BA LHR - LAX in August 1995. Interestingly, smoking was prohibited on the return flight LAX - LHR in September 1995...

winterlight

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am

MEA were still allowing it in 2002.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

andip

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 am

I remember a school trip VIE-AMM on Royal Jordanian in November 2000. Most of the class was in the rear part of the plane smoking...

yeahfelipe

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 am

69bug wrote:
Lufthansa still had smoking sectors at least up to around 1997. After that it was only available on flights to Japan.

I remember when I was living in Asia during the mid 90s tha the Lufthansa and Malaysia Airlines flights in 1996 & 1997 from FRA to KL had smoking sectors in the back of the 747s. According to an article from Swiss Tagesanzeiger (http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/leben/reise ... y/27294955) LH banned smoking on domestic flights in 1995, on North America routes in 1996 and on 29th March 1998 smoking was banned from the remaining LH flights. The article says 90 per cent of LH customers appreciated the general smoking ban at that time.

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 am

I seem to recall seeing something from line maintenance mechanics stating that after the ban went into effect it became more difficult to check for air leaks in PSUs and other parts of the aircraft because there was no staining of recirculated smoke to look for anymore, or something to that effect. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can elaborate?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ltbewr

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:23 am

It is interesting to note the justification for smoking bans on passenger airline flights (as would happen with almost all indoor spaces in the USA as well as in many other countries and local governments) was more about protecting the fight attendant's work places from the health problems from secondhand tobacco smoke. F/A's were particularly at risk as almost always the 'smoking section' on planes were in the back of planes adjacent to the galley areas where they worked. Even F/A's smoked in the galleys before the ban.
I recall flying before the ban there were a number of issues that further encouraged it. I would guess sometime in the 1970's as wide body aircraft came into use, airlines would designate seat rows as smoking or non-smoking. This was a hassle for airlines as is made it more difficult to set smoking/non-smoking rows and seat reservations depending on demand. There were issues and sometimes verbal as well as physical conflicts at the 'borders' by non-smokers as still got secondhand smoke from those in that adjacent row. Yes, some airlines did allow smoking on international flights, in particular to Asian destinations much longer, but eventually all nationals banned smoking on flights.
Eventually airlines supported it as keep the F/A's healthier, less cleaning of plane's HVAC systems, less burn damage to seats and rugs and ending the need to segregate seating for smokers and non-smokers and the conflicts at row cut-offs. I am not sure when smoke detectors were put into the lavatories and when smoking bans applied to inside the cockpit areas, but likely as other laws against smoking in a 'workplace' kicked in generally from 2000 and onward.

Btblue

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

In 2000 I flew to Bali with Garuda from Gatwick. Managed to get the seats that pair off at the back. What I dind't know was that those seats and some ahead were designated to a smoking area.

In 2002 I flew air Europa to Palma from Gatwick and they allowed smoking on the aircraft at the back. I went to the back and had a few puffs on a cigarette - this was I just before the smokin ban.

PieterBoth

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 am

I vividly remember as a 7 year old we flew MK from LHR to MRU and were put in the 'smoking' section (though my parents didn't smoke). It was a terrible 12 hours. I remember as late as 2001 smoking carriages on UK trains, which inevitably meant all carriages smelt of smoke. I too cannot believe smoking was ever allowed on an aircraft.

ualcsr

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 am

Does any airline still allow it or "look the other way"? I am an occasional smoker, but I remember flights that allowed smoking back in the 80s and 90s and it was disgusting. The smoking section was also a joke. I remember flying from MIA-LIM on UA in first class sometime back in the late-ish 1990s on a 757. Rows 1 through 5 were non-smoking and row 6 was smoking. What a joke.

phatfarmlines

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

I remember when planes and gate areas too had that "bowling alley" smell from smoking. Now even smoking is banned at bowling alleys in the U.S.!

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

Go for it. The U.S. Congress can pass laws on interstate commerce. Intra-state? That's up to the states. The early business model of Southwest Airlines relied on that distinction - with intra-Texas services - to skirt CAB rules on route allocations pre-airline deregulation.

ojjunior

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:12 pm

69bug wrote:
Frankfurt airport however was a full-blown smoking airport for much longer. They had designated 'smoker's area', which was not partitioned off, in the general gate area. I think it was only around 2003 that the gates become more smoke free. This was after some much delayed renovation work.
Anil

I'm sorry but I was in FRA in 2011 and there were plenty of smoking cabins inside the whole gates area with nothing but an exhaustor to minimize the smell.
And all of them pretty full all the time.
Don't know if they're still there...

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm

ojjunior wrote:
69bug wrote:
Anil

I'm sorry but I was in FRA in 2011 and there were plenty of smoking cabins inside the whole gates area with nothing but an exhaustor to minimize the smell.
And all of them pretty full all the time.
Don't know if they're still there...

In 2013 they still had them
Sébastien C. Tourillon

longhauler

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I also believe Air Canada 797 kinda started the movement to ban smoking on flights.

This accident was not caused by smoking.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

richcandy

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I always thought it was strange that smoking was ever allowed on commercial aircraft .

In todays world I totally agree. However go back 40-50 years and most adults smoked. I think if they had of banned smoking on aircraft in the 1950-60's they would of had difficult selling tickets, at least on routes were there where alternatives.

Smoking used to be permitted on the London Underground (tube). How people avoided setting fire to each other is anyones guess.

Air France for a while had some sort of smoking bar on their aircraft. They sales team used to push this as a reason to sell AF.

A few years ago in the UK they banned smoking inside any public places. (I am not sure of the exact law but basically if the place is indoor and has employees its non smoking.) Also retailers are not permitted to display cigarettes.

TripleA

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:01 pm

richcandy wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

In todays world I totally agree. However go back 40-50 years and most adults smoked. I think if they had of banned smoking on aircraft in the 1950-60's they would of had difficult selling tickets, at least on routes were there where alternatives.

Smoking used to be permitted on the London Underground (tube). How people avoided setting fire to each other is anyones guess.

Air France for a while had some sort of smoking bar on their aircraft. They sales team used to push this as a reason to sell AF.

A few years ago in the UK they banned smoking inside any public places. (I am not sure of the exact law but basically if the place is indoor and has employees its non smoking.) Also retailers are not permitted to display cigarettes.

I remember looking at a seat map of a Delta 727 from the 80s and it showed a smoking section, then a "transition zone" of about three rows or so, and then the non-smoking section. I laughed when I saw the transition zone part, as if the smell of the smoke would actually fade away in those few rows. :lol: :roll:

nikeherc

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:35 pm

The transition zone allowed the FAs to extend the smoking area if there were more smokers than could be accommodated in the smoking section. It also allowed them to extend the no-smoking section if the front of the cabin was full. I remember sitting in my assigned non-smoking seat and having the FA pull the no smoking card from the back of the seat in front of me and sticking it in the back of my seat. The whole thing was a joke. I travelled extensively in the 1970s and 1980s and always found getting rooms and cars that didn't stink was quite a challenge.

Back in the late 60s or early 70s National Airlines experienced a lengthy strike. The biggest problem they had with the airplanes was nicotine gumming up the valves in the air conditioning systems. And this was an airline that stored its aircraft in Miami during the strike.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

dfwjim1

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 pm

I flew on Varig from LAX to GRU in 1989 in the non-smoking section but the cigarette smoke from the smoking section would drift back to my area. It made for a very long flight.

zrs70

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:03 pm

While most airlines allowed smoking in the back of the cabin, some airlines had different configurations.

One airline (forget which one) designated smoking not by rows but rather by columns, rationalizing that smoke travels forward and backward more than side to side. So ABC seats were non smoking and DEF seats were smoking.

Continental at one point had smoking in the front. I used to always choose seats as close to the front as possible - to be fr away from the smoke. I made the mistake of doing this on CO, and I was burned (pun intenended ).
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

INFINITI329

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

Go for it. The U.S. Congress can pass laws on interstate commerce. Intra-state? That's up to the states. The early business model of Southwest Airlines relied on that distinction - with intra-Texas services - to skirt CAB rules on route allocations pre-airline deregulation.

Pre-deregulation that would have held true. But as recently as 2008 the courts have ruled in a nutshell that regulation of the aviation sector is a federal power.

Biged

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 pm

AA for a time had alternating smoking and non-smoking sections on 727s so the whole plane stunk.
In college in 1978 travelled from Montreal to Dublin on Aer Lingus in smoking because professor who got boarding passes smoked. Always seemed stupid to allow smoking.

mrcoffee

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:58 pm

I remember when they first had the US "2-hour or less" smoking ban.

The flight from PHX-SFO (on Southwest particuarlly, but I'm sure the other airlines as well) was scheduled for 2 hours, 5 minutes. So it allowed smoking.

The reverse, from SFO-PHX is scheduled for 1 hour, 50 minutes, so no smoking.

It drove my (smoking) Dad crazy.

sierra3tango

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm

richcandy wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Was told at the time that the only public (ish) place in the UK you could legally smoke indoors after enactment of this law, was the Palace of Westminster, in certain areas. Makes you proud of the politicians, does it not !

EK were one of the last to ban smoking, which purely co incidentally was about the time they started with the A345s to the US.

26point2

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 pm

I haven't seen ashtrays in armrests for many years but still see ashtrays outside the onboard lavatory. Why is this?

neutrino

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 pm

I was a young adult when I board my first commercial flight in 1979. Was asked at check-in "Smoking or non-smoking"? Of course I chose the latter, being a non-smoker. I remember looking for a separate "smokers' compartment" upon boarding and was surprised not to see any. I then assumed that some sort of curtain or blind would come down later to block the smoke at the back section. I kept turning my head around during the early minutes of the flight to see such but nothing. So, I surmised that there must be some really powerful vacuum apparatus there to contain the smoke. Ah, the ignorance and wrong presumption of youth.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Polot

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 pm

26point2 wrote:
I haven't seen ashtrays in armrests for many years but still see ashtrays outside the onboard lavatory. Why is this?

There still needs to be a place to safely extinguish a cigarette if someone does decide to light up.

747d10

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I remember back in the 80's United's 733s had 2 rows of first class. Only seats 2A&B were smoking. That was ridiculous!
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

superjeff

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 pm

zrs70 wrote:
While most airlines allowed smoking in the back of the cabin, some airlines had different configurations.

One airline (forget which one) designated smoking not by rows but rather by columns, rationalizing that smoke travels forward and backward more than side to side. So ABC seats were non smoking and DEF seats were smoking.

Continental at one point had smoking in the front. I used to always choose seats as close to the front as possible - to be fr away from the smoke. I made the mistake of doing this on CO, and I was burned (pun intenended ).

Lufthansa

Winterapfel

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Any idea how much the smoke and nicotine affected maintenance requirements?

I never realized the extend of the deposits, until reading about the nicotine deposits leaking from the cracks around the doubler plate of china airlines flight 661 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_A ... Flight_611

intotheair

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 pm

747d10 wrote:
I remember back in the 80's United's 733s had 2 rows of first class. Only seats 2A&B were smoking. That was ridiculous!

I've read stories before that couples traveling together would often choose 2AB so that it would make the entire cabin nonsmoking!

ualcsr wrote:
Does any airline still allow it or "look the other way"? I am an occasional smoker, but I remember flights that allowed smoking back in the 80s and 90s and it was disgusting. The smoking section was also a joke. I remember flying from MIA-LIM on UA in first class sometime back in the late-ish 1990s on a 757. Rows 1 through 5 were non-smoking and row 6 was smoking. What a joke.

I would be interested to find this out. I can't think of any western airline that would still allow smoking aboard. There are occasionally some reports that cockpit crew often smoke on some of the Chinese carriers but will always deny it when confronted about it. Not sure how true that is.

For me, smoking had pretty much fallen out of style by the time I was born. I can't really remember any flights having smokers on some of my first flights as a child in the 90s, though I definitely remember many UA aircraft still had ashtrays in the armrests well into the 2000s. As a casual smoker, I bought an ashtray from a DC9 off eBay to use. It's a nice little conversation piece.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

nitepilot79

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Last smoking flight I was on was GUA-DFW (AA 752) in October of 1993.

RyanairGuru

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:22 pm

What was the thinking behind flights under 2 hours? That seems nonsensical!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos