Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tapairbus370
Topic Author
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I don´t know if this has ever been posted. I did a search and couldn´t find this posted, so if I´m wrong please delete.

Found this on youtube and thought to share it with you.
I´m not a big fan of this kind of stunts (they just don´t appeal to me) but being with this kind of plane....
Also there is a (very) low pass scene on the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dejuGeDpEU


Take care
 
User avatar
Seabear
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Now known as "basic economy". :lol:
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Had a chance to discuss this stunt with Captain Lacy several years ago. What an amazing career he's had.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
reltney
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Clay was the pilot.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
nikeherc
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Clay Lacy is a member of a very special, very small group of modern aviators. You have to think Lacy, Hoover, Yeager, Tex Johnson, Glenn and Shepard and maybe just one or two others. If it had wings they could fly it better than anybody else. The world is a better place for their having been here and will be diminished by their departures.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between
 
JAAlbert
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 pm

A reporter for the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson volunteered for this stunt for a story he wrote for the newspaper in Tucson years ago. As I recall, he said the experience was terrifying. I'll have to see if I can find the story.
 
tapairbus370
Topic Author
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,

thank you reltney, my mistake.

Can the moderators please , edit the title?

Thank you.
 
User avatar
GreenArc
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 10:59 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm

nikeherc wrote:
Clay Lacy is a member of a very special, very small group of modern aviators. You have to think Lacy, Hoover, Yeager, Tex Johnson, Glenn and Shepard and maybe just one or two others. If it had wings they could fly it better than anybody else. The world is a better place for their having been here and will be diminished by their departures.


Oh yeah, he's special alright. Additional "accomplishment" cited from Wikipedia:

During the 29-day United Airlines pilot strike of May 1985, Lacy was one of the first pilots to cross the picket line and go to work on May 17, 1985, thus undermining the unionized pilots attempts for better pay and work rules. This forever earned him a spot on the Master Scab List, and earned him the unceremonious title of "scab".[12]


Yeah, he apparently flew some airplanes too.
 
User avatar
exunited
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Lacy was a scab, period. Nothing great about such a person.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2200
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Lacy was a scab. A pretty bad one at that.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 pm

The "Human Fly" Clay Lacy flight has been discussed here before, but it's been a while. A lot of posters probably have not seen it.

Wikipedia says Lacy filmed a lot of the air-to-air scenes in Top Gun. I didn't know that.

exunited wrote:
Lacy was a scab, period. Nothing great about such a person.


Give it a rest. It does not speak well for those who not only maintain grudges for years against people who disagree with you about whether benefits of a given action are worth the consequences, but even over a decade later were still encouraging retaliation:
https://file.wikileaks.org/file/airline ... t-2004.pdf

Many of us have been able to make employment arrangements that work for us without the involvement of a union, yet still respect unions for their value when employers do not deal fairly with employees. It is reasonable to disagree strongly with Lacy's decision to cross the picket line, but it is likewise reasonable to ask for union members to in return respect the individual autonomy of others with a basic level of civility, and not to subordinate every other thing he did in life to a single decision made in unfavorable circumstances.
 
ROSWELL41
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:50 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Clay Lacy is a scab and will be forever remembered as such. Someone willing to stab their brother and sister pilots in the back is not someone to celebrate.
 
User avatar
exunited
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
The "Human Fly" Clay Lacy flight has been discussed here before, but it's been a while. A lot of posters probably have not seen it.

Wikipedia says Lacy filmed a lot of the air-to-air scenes in Top Gun. I didn't know that.

exunited wrote:
Lacy was a scab, period. Nothing great about such a person.


Give it a rest. It does not speak well for those who not only maintain grudges for years against people who disagree with you about whether benefits of a given action are worth the consequences, but even over a decade later were still encouraging retaliation:
https://file.wikileaks.org/file/airline ... t-2004.pdf

Many of us have been able to make employment arrangements that work for us without the involvement of a union, yet still respect unions for their value when employers do not deal fairly with employees. It is reasonable to disagree strongly with Lacy's decision to cross the picket line, but it is likewise reasonable to ask for union members to in return respect the individual autonomy of others with a basic level of civility, and not to subordinate every other thing he did in life to a single decision made in unfavorable circumstances.


Never will forgive or forget anyone who stabs another in the back regardless of how "celebrated" they might be by others who are not involved.
If you spends days at a time with someone you need to trust their integrity for your safety as well as the safety of everyone on that airplane. I have flown with many, many scabs and none have any integrity and would be first in line to do it again if it benefited themselves at the expense of others. Give it a rest, never.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2200
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 pm

exunited wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
The "Human Fly" Clay Lacy flight has been discussed here before, but it's been a while. A lot of posters probably have not seen it.

Wikipedia says Lacy filmed a lot of the air-to-air scenes in Top Gun. I didn't know that.

exunited wrote:
Lacy was a scab, period. Nothing great about such a person.


Give it a rest. It does not speak well for those who not only maintain grudges for years against people who disagree with you about whether benefits of a given action are worth the consequences, but even over a decade later were still encouraging retaliation:
https://file.wikileaks.org/file/airline ... t-2004.pdf

Many of us have been able to make employment arrangements that work for us without the involvement of a union, yet still respect unions for their value when employers do not deal fairly with employees. It is reasonable to disagree strongly with Lacy's decision to cross the picket line, but it is likewise reasonable to ask for union members to in return respect the individual autonomy of others with a basic level of civility, and not to subordinate every other thing he did in life to a single decision made in unfavorable circumstances.


Never will forgive or forget anyone who stabs another in the back regardless of how "celebrated" they might be by others who are not involved.
If you spends days at a time with someone you need to trust their integrity for your safety as well as the safety of everyone on that airplane. I have flown with many, many scabs and none have any integrity and would be first in line to do it again if it benefited themselves at the expense of others. Give it a rest, never.



Agreed.

Finally someone else on this board with a touch of reality.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
TheOldDude
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 am

As a pilot, Clay Lacey evidently had mad skilz. Apparently there is either hatred or admiration for the man. I choose to leave hate behind.
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 am

exunited wrote:
Never will forgive or forget anyone who stabs another in the back regardless of how "celebrated" they might be by others who are not involved.
If you spends days at a time with someone you need to trust their integrity for your safety as well as the safety of everyone on that airplane. I have flown with many, many scabs and none have any integrity and would be first in line to do it again if it benefited themselves at the expense of others. Give it a rest, never.


If you view union membership, regardless of whether entered into willingly or by coercion because it is the only route to a desired job, as absolute submission to totalitarian authority, I suppose I can understand your view.

Personally, I hold a more democratic view of union membership - that it serves the shared interests of the members by collectively empowering them when they choose to work together because it is expedient or even necessary, rather than dictates to them their actions and punishes dissent.

So, for that matter, does federal law:
Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities (29 USC 157)


As you agree to this law by the act of joining a union in the US, retaliating against anyone for exercising that right is the real back-stabbing.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2200
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 am

TheOldDude wrote:
As a pilot, Clay Lacey evidently had mad skilz. Apparently there is either hatred or admiration for the man. I choose to leave hate behind.


The people who admired him were not pilots. Career pilot's are not 'impressed' by someone else's dumb stick and rudder skills, you are expected to have them.


That said, pilots care more about the stability of the airlines than anyone else. Their career and livelihoods depend on it. Especially in contrast to the C level executives that get million dollar parachutes to sit at a desk and load the company up with useless debt. Pilots understand the dynamics of the business. There will be years where airlines don't make money. The pilots are usually the first to take some obscene pay cut, give up benefits, lose their retirements or get laid off.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
exunited
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
exunited wrote:
Never will forgive or forget anyone who stabs another in the back regardless of how "celebrated" they might be by others who are not involved.
If you spends days at a time with someone you need to trust their integrity for your safety as well as the safety of everyone on that airplane. I have flown with many, many scabs and none have any integrity and would be first in line to do it again if it benefited themselves at the expense of others. Give it a rest, never.


If you view union membership, regardless of whether entered into willingly or by coercion because it is the only route to a desired job, as absolute submission to totalitarian authority, I suppose I can understand your view.

Personally, I hold a more democratic view of union membership - that it serves the shared interests of the members by collectively empowering them when they choose to work together because it is expedient or even necessary, rather than dictates to them their actions and punishes dissent.

So, for that matter, does federal law:
Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities (29 USC 157)


As you agree to this law by the act of joining a union in the US, retaliating against anyone for exercising that right is the real back-stabbing.


Sorry, there is a huge difference between simply not being a union member and being an opportunist who crosses an active strike line to take another pilot's job. Not even worth arguing about it if you can't see the difference. Celebrate this guy's "mad skills" or curse his lack of integrity, you choose your way and I will mine.
 
birdbrainz
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Human Fly? All he did was bolt himself to the outside of an airplane. What kind of airmanship is that? Am I missing something?

Will never forget the UA pilot strike of 1985. I was in high school when my dad, a UA test pilot and line pilot, and loyal 33 yr employee was fired during the strike. Scared the crap out of my entire family. Yes he was re-hired, but for those who went through it, it's completely understandable that they'd bristle at suggestions for them to "get over it."

Two other quick thoughts: 1. I seem to remember the "590" replacement pilots who immediately joined the strike after training as a pivotal moment.
2. My dad knew someone who safely barrel-rolled an empty DC-8. Let's just say there's a right way and a wrong way. Lol.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.
 
User avatar
7BOEING7
Posts: 3039
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:18 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:

Wikipedia says Lacy filmed a lot of the air-to-air scenes in Top Gun. I didn't know that.


If you stick around long enough to read all the credits at the end of many of the movies with aviation sequences for the last 40+ years you'll find Clay Lacy listed. Most of the TV ad's for airlines showing inflight video is also the work of Clay Lacy. Having flown in very, very close proximity to him in everything from a 737 to a 777, his "stick and rudder" skills are well above those of most airline pilots.
 
reltney
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 am

ROSWELL41 wrote:
Clay Lacy is a scab and will be forever remembered as such. Someone willing to stab their brother and sister pilots in the back is not someone to celebrate.



Amen!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
Max Q
Posts: 8252
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 am

I have to agree.

Lacy was a scab, whatever else he has done pales in comparison to screwing his fellow Pilots.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
DualQual
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:03 am

He's a scab. Nuff said. Rot in hell.
There's no known cure for stupid
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Clay Lacy "riding" a DC-8

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Wow.... they must have dragged out all the old retired UAL pilots for this roast. Kind of funny looking back on this as while Lacy has his detractors, as seen in the above posts, he has just as many pilots who appreciate his efforts to further their careers. I have known Lacy for many of years always found him to be a unique individual who promoted aviation to the fullest extent. I do not agree with his crossing the UAL picket lines as that was a poor decision, but he made his position well known in advance to all that would listen.

It's long past and for those of you who throw names around and have so much contempt, I can only assume you are very old bitter former UAL pilots, of which I know more than a few. Kind of pathetic in the end.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos