Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Frankfurt Considering New Low Cost Pier - 2018?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 am

Frankfurt is considering a new low cost pier to the south of T2. It could be build as early as 2018, several years before the new T3 opens.
http://www.airliners.de/fraport-billigf ... inal/40807

PanHAM

Re: Frankfurt Considering New Low Cost Pier - 2018?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:12 am

was about time they made that decision. So far it is just a few flights which they can handle with a couple of bus gates in T1 or T2, that may be enough to go through 2018 as well but if FRA really wants to be attractive for low cost they must have a dedicated facility and if that is a no thrills and no frills basic Pier, they can offer a permanent lower cost for using that facility, doing away with incentives.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

nadavatar64

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 am

That sounds pretty ambitious. Frankfurt area is not a very touristic area and its main O&D traffic comes from business and VFR. Maybe most of the LC traffic is for Germans in the area going on vacations.

Eurohub

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 am

nadavatar64 wrote:
That sounds pretty ambitious. Frankfurt area is not a very touristic area and its main O&D traffic comes from business and VFR. Maybe most of the LC traffic is for Germans in the area going on vacations.

Business and VFR traffic doesn't exclusively fly legacy you know! Most of my intra-Europe business flying is done on a combination of FR and BE - so I'd be delighted if a dedicated low-cost pier encouraged a few more low-cost operators to consider FRA as a destination!
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

eurowings

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Eurohub wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:

Business and VFR traffic doesn't exclusively fly legacy you know! Most of my intra-Europe business flying is done on a combination of FR and BE - so I'd be delighted if a dedicated low-cost pier encouraged a few more low-cost operators to consider FRA as a destination!

Likewise, the company I work for has flown people MAN - HAM for years and whereas it was almost exclusively LH (Regional) in the past, it became Eurowings and easyJet, and now people regularly fly out on the early FR flight!
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

AirbusOnly

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
Frankfurt is considering a new low cost pier to the south of T2. It could be build as early as 2018, several years before the new T3 opens.
http://www.airliners.de/fraport-billigf ... inal/40807

Very easy and fast to build: take a big tent, some Dixie toilets, some beer benches....what do need LCC passenger more? They love cheap, so they get cheap..

Cunard

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Pathetic reply I have to admit even though your trying to come across as being humerous.

Although many people enjoy cheap flights some of those 'cheap' passengers actually spend a lot of money at the airport compared to more frequent flyers. Also like myself if I can grab a cheap flight I will more than likely book a more expensive hotel, on numerous occasions I've used either RY or EZ for a cheap flight and stayed in a five star hotel at my destination.

Although as an British Airways Executive Club Member BA will always be my preferred airline but it doesn't stop me from using the odd 'cheap' flight and I can assure I am not cheap and I wouldn't appreciate a big tent, some Dixie toilets, some beer benches ( I don't drink beer anyway).
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

oldannyboy

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Cunard wrote:
Pathetic reply I have to admit even though your trying to come across as being humerous.

Although many people enjoy cheap flights some of those 'cheap' passengers actually spend a lot of money at the airport compared to more frequent flyers. Also like myself if I can grab a cheap flight I will more than likely book a more expensive hotel, on numerous occasions I've used either RY or EZ for a cheap flight and stayed in a five star hotel at my destination.

Although as an British Airways Executive Club Member BA will always be my preferred airline but it doesn't stop me from using the odd 'cheap' flight and I can assure I am not cheap and I wouldn't appreciate a big tent, some Dixie toilets, some beer benches ( I don't drink beer anyway).

Hello Cunard,

Ditto. FR+ 5*. I belong to the same 'Club'... but I believe our friend was genuinely trying to be funny! Let's all lighten up shall we... :-)

oldannyboy

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Very easy and fast to build: take a big tent, some Dixie toilets, some beer benches....what do need LCC passenger more? They love cheap, so they get cheap..

[/quote]

:-) ha ha! Yes! Some airports are indeed like that (or were, more correctly..).. the 'old' Paris Beauvais was quite the joke.. and the LCC boarding areas of BUD are a bit of a shock, especially on a hot day.. But then you'd be amazed at how some airports have transformed and offer a really nice experience for LCC travelers. Charleroi comes to mind...It's better than many 'legacy' airports out there.. I suppose airport operators have realized how vast and cross-cutting the market base and clientele for LCCs can be, and are thus quite rightly trying to appeal to travelers across the board, and not just the 'bucket&spade' yearly flier. Lots of business suits these days on LCCs....

glbltrvlr

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I thought the FRA LCC terminal was going in across the runway in a former cargo area?

PanHAM

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Across the runwayS is correct, it's 2 to cross however. The site is not former cargo but former US Rhein-Main AB. How and what will be the next steps might be disclosed as early as next week. For sure is however that FRA woke up and saw the importance that something had to be done on low cost. Falling back to #4 in Europe with the otion to be # 5 was a loud enough bang. LH and EUW are steaming ahead with developing the LC sector, there are interesting times ahead
There's a pess conference next Tuesday, so stay tuned.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!