Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sptv
Topic Author

AA LAX-YVR goes mainline

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... FeedBurner

During May, AA will transfer their evening flight LAX-YVR and morning return from Eagle to Mainline. Just for one month. Curious what that really means? Are they testing the route/flight to see if it can support mainline service/additional seats? If loads are good, does this suggest the route could go to mainline full time?

The irony is that by moving the flight from E175 to A319, they will actually be LOSING 3 biz class seats. I can tell you from my experience flying this route regularly for the past 8 years, premium cabin seats are in demand, particularly on the evening runs from LAX-YVR due to Hollywood North. To lose premium cabin seats is a mistake! Also, if, in fact, they are testing to see if demand is there for an upgrade, doing the test during May is odd, since most Hollywood productions are down during that time. Demand (especially for premium cabin) runs Jul thru April. Summer months sees demand for economy seats skyrocket, as that is cruise season. Again, this is all anecdotal, but it's first hand observation over 8 years. AS should not have abandoned this route!!!

MAH4546

Re: AA LAX-YVR goes mainline

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm

It means the June schedule isn't loaded yet and it'll probably stay mainline once they load June.
a.

pasu129

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Wish they'd switch sooner!!!
Viva Las Vegas

commavia

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Good to see another market see a move towards more mainline ... along with the recent switch of DEN (back) to all-mainline (A319) and SMF also seeing an A319 rotation coming up.

winginit

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Would be surprised if this went mainline for an extended period of time. Given the competition on this route (six carriers), LAXYVR has been an absolute bloodbath for years when it comes to yields.

wingnuts

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:21 pm

I can recall when AS was running three times daily between LAX-YVR. No doubt the traffic numbers are big between LA and Vancouver, but at ~$110 for a one way 2.5 hour segment leads me to believe the yields are not that strong, but important enough to work with. After the removal of the AS LAX/YVR flight, AS went with two daily 737s between SEA/YVR to feed traffic through SEA. Without seeing traffic numbers, I would bet allot of that AS YVR traffic through SEA is still going to Southern Cali and Mexico.

I envision AA will go mainline on YVR/LAX year round sometime soon. I also see them going twice daily when they do. If this happens, I see Delta matching it. I dont believe AS abandoned the route, but just needed their equipment to work elsewhere. When they removed this flight they were in a head to head battle with Delta, and that equipment was used elsewhere. IMHO, AA and Delta have a huge fleet flexibility advantage over AS, but with the AS acquisition of Virgin America, I see them returning to YVR/LAX at some point. No doubt, there is money to be made on this route.

phllax

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:51 pm

wingnuts wrote:
I can recall when AS was running three times daily between LAX-YVR. No doubt the traffic numbers are big between LA and Vancouver, but at ~$110 for a one way 2.5 hour segment leads me to believe the yields are not that strong, but important enough to work with. After the removal of the AS LAX/YVR flight, AS went with two daily 737s between SEA/YVR to feed traffic through SEA. I would bet allot of that AS YVR traffic through SEA is still going to Southern Cali and Mexico.

I booked a ticket LAX-YVR for the first week of August on Eagle via Alaska website on a code-share flight. Outbound fare was $106 and return was $111. Of that roughly $65 one-way is taxes. The same flights on the AA website were $631 one way. I know there's a holiday the first week of August in BC, but the disparity between AS, DL, UA, AC and WS were tens of dollars as compared to the AS/AE code-share. Personally, I'll take a 175 any day.

robt760

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 am

It may sound like an upgrade to go to mainline aircraft, but they will be LUS aircraft/crew (based on flight numbers). The LUS A319 is a few steps below the nicer E jets IMO.

ahj2000

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:10 pm

robt760 wrote:
It may sound like an upgrade to go to mainline aircraft, but they will be LUS aircraft/crew (based on flight numbers). The LUS A319 is a few steps below the nicer E jets IMO.

With the amount of J seats yes, but aren't they trying to put refurbished jets through L-AA hubs?
-Andrés Juánez

nc3rd

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm

All AA A319s have the new interior now with the 128 seats and power. Only the L-AA A319s have the TVs.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos