GVIIO
Topic Author

TPA new rental car facility issue

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 am

From a source of mine, someone high up within TPA (sorry there is no article to link) has confirmed the new facility that is under construction has suffered a fairly major setback.

The setback occurred sometime recently, apparently the soil that it was built on wasn't properly tested and caused the building to sink enough to cause the roof that would house the new trains descended a bit also thus causing the trains to not be able to fit inside the station at the rental car facility.

As far as I know now the airport is consulting an engineer and the construction company to figure out what can be done, I was told the project is already behind 6 months...this will only delay things further.

B6JFKH81

Re: TPA new rental car facility issue

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 am

What a shame, hopefully the construction at the terminal is not impacted. As a resident of Tampa, I have to fly in/out of TPA for work and take multiple airlines. It is such a pain in the butt to catch an Uber home when arriving in Blue Arrivals (you have to go up to the 6th floor of the parking garage if you arrive after certain hours).
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

yyztpa

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 am

Tampa area has a history of settling issues. Recall the same issue with the elevated section of the Crosstown Expressway when the same happened with many of the supports.

GVIIO
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:47 am

Yep correct, construction projects never seem to work right. A similar thing happened years ago when the construction of the elevated taxiway cracked and it sat completed and unused for years until the properly repaired it.

727LOVER

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 am

The south taxiway connector was just redone also. Hope there's no issues with that.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

n92r03

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I thought it was odd when it was announced a few weeks ago that the Rental Car Facility was delayed and I think it was blamed on weather. While it rains in the summer, Tampa has been essentially dry since mid-September so perhaps the settling soil is the actual issue.

Unrelated to the airport, but the newer hospital in the Trinity area was delayed years ago due to sinkhole issues found after construction was underway.

TVNWZ

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 pm

An un-need Billion dollar project turning into a boondoggle. Who would have guessed? This whole rental car, train from station is completely un necessary. It is just a vanity project for the airport director. IMHO.

GVIIO
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 pm

I totally agree, the whole thing really is a joke. They could have put that money towards better use like updating airside F or expanding it as they keeping attracting new international flights/ Where do they expect to put them as Airside F only has 3 gates accessible to customs. Back on subject all this was to what...free up 2 floors of the Long Term Parking garage? To me it seems yes like Joe Lopano wanted to copy Miami Airport and do all this big stuff for attention.

TVNWZ

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I agree about Lopano. The airport was one of the easiest to get in and out of. The car rental facility was quick and easy. Now it will be time consuming and confusing. Vanity.

GSPSPOT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
An un-need Billion dollar project turning into a boondoggle. Who would have guessed? This whole rental car, train from station is completely un necessary. It is just a vanity project for the airport director. IMHO.

Not totally sure about that, but as a passenger, I detest offsite car rental facilities in general. Just increases (unnecessarily IMO) the time it takes to make one's escape.
Great Lakes, great life.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 pm

A lot of people think that an offsite rental car facility is a waste of money- in the short term it is. But the #1 rule for all airports is expand now if you have the time and money, not later when you need it. I think it is good that they are taking the initiative to expand, and they can turn the old space into something else.

That said, I have no idea how somebody could mess up something so important to the foundation of the project, literally. I know an engineer who worked on the Taxiway J aircraft bridge that leads to the entrance of the airport and I was on site with them while they were doing the pier testing for the structural lateral beams (supports), and they had multiple locations, different pressures, several days/temperatures/conditions over a period of time to make sure it would hold in the long term for all kinds of situations and aircraft loads. I would be very interested to find out how they handle this, and a lot of it depends on the current progress, which is quite far along. From what I can understand, it is most important to correctly identify the direction that is sinking. Usually, it is due to an imbalance of stability/rigidity offset by a weak area. Additionally, this being Florida, with the bay less than a mile from the physical construction site, the discovery of any limestone or potential for a sinkhole would be major safety issue. I'm hoping this is not the case, but at the least, they would have to put up more beams to spread the weight more evenly and reduce weight on the soil in addition to strengthening the soil itself with some combination of grout/mortar/cement depending on the severity. There is generally about a foot of clearance between the train and roof of the station, so for a new site, if the trains can't even enter the station, that is pretty severe if it is indeed the case.

sky303

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 pm

According to the airport, just now, there is no soil issue. I mean they could be unwilling to divulge that information, but this would be more like blatant lying if there is indeed an issue. I'll assume there is not one.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Good to see that there is no soil issue. As you rightly state, we will never know for sure, but if they plan to open as scheduled, that's good news to me!

mcogator

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 pm

sky303 wrote:
According to the airport, just now, there is no soil issue. I mean they could be unwilling to divulge that information, but this would be more like blatant lying if there is indeed an issue. I'll assume there is not one.

It could just be the social media person for TPA isn't privy to the information either.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

sky303

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm

FWIW, the "construction communication" head actually reached out personally after, asking where these rumors were reported.

GVIIO
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

This probably isn't something they want people to know about.
Last edited by GVIIO on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GVIIO
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 pm

From what I hear it is true, The social media person isn't gonna say anything or likely doesn't know. However the sources I have that can confirm it are of much more senior in Tampa Airport Ops than the Facebook page operator

TVNWZ

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:52 am

Local news did a story. It is delayed. Several issues.

http://wfla.com/2017/03/01/you-paid-for ... n-project/

atlflyer

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 am

Thanks for clearing it up.

sky303

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 am

Sounds like even the construction communications head who reached out lied pretty blatantly about this. I get not wanting to confirm it but to just outright lie about it, especially from the guy who would definitely have known about it. Not a good look for TIA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos