OA260

Re: Irish 3/17

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am

Baggage fees soar to €240 per couple as Aer Lingus hikes prices in Europe

A couple could spend €240 bringing their suitcases on a return trip to the Canary Islands after Aer Lingus hiked its checked baggage fees by as much as 40pc.

The airline has switched to a three-tier pricing system, with checked bag charges now differing for 'near', 'mid' and 'far' destinations.

The new charges are year-round, flat fees priced by weight, as opposed to previously contentious "peak" and "off-peak" baggage charges.

The cost of taking a 25kg bag one way to a 'far' destination such as the Canary Islands is now €60 all year round. It means a couple each taking this size suitcase on a return trip would pay €240.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 81259.html

---

Derry struggling with air tax and Sterling/Euro fluctuations, new report finds

A new report on how to boost tourism says Derry has struggled with Sterling/Euro fluctuations over the years, as well as from lower VAT overheads in Donegal.

‘Promoting the tourism industry in Northern Ireland through the tax system’, which has been newly published by the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (NIAC), also suggests a new £4million air route development fund should be implemented now to support City of Derry Airport.

“The land border allows people to take advantage of cheaper prices in the Republic of Ireland when the Euro is weak, and vice versa when the Euro is strong. The impact of this is felt particularly in border areas, such as Londonderry,” the reports states.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/derry- ... -1-7883732

leghorn

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am

I wonder how much these rules have saved the airlines in fuel over the years.
Assuming Ryanair have 170 passengers on their plane and on balance they have reduced the entire baggage(carry-on and hold) by 7.5kg on average that is 1275kg of weight removed from a plane. Ignoring the cost of baggage handlers and fewer check-in desks/personnel they must be saving a lot in pure fuel terms.

It certainly has changed my buying habits. Last Christmas it was perfume as presents all around for the females in my circle as it fits in carry-on.

tonystan

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Anyone noticed the recent minor uniform change at Aer Lingus?

Seems some female crew members now wear a black and silver scarf instead of the usual green? Clashes slightly with the rest of the uniform.

I'm guessing its for cabin crew managers, similar to how British Airways has a red scarf or tie for cabin crew and a silver alternative for senior crew?

You can see it in a picture from today's official Aer Club launch:

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2017/03/ ... th-aerclub

OA260 wrote:
dergay wrote:
Aer Lingus baggage charges are "streamlined / simplified" for the summer................

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 79129.html

Funny I get a different article headline when I click ;)

Aer Lingus hikes baggage fees by over 40pc on longer European routes

Tabloids and their misleading headlines eh ;)

Shamrock350

They introduced the scarf change around the time they were aiming for the Skytrax rating, it was all done very rushed hence the rather generic scarf and tie for the lads. Doesn't look great in my opinion but I'm sure they will have a proper one for the new uniform when ever that happens.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

SQ22
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 pm

Please continue your discussion in next month Irish thread, which you can find here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1359317

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos