Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eielef

Re: Be big or go home: Ryanair adds more than 200 routes for W17

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Has FR never tried flying to Russia? Easyjet closed its routes (LGW and MAN) due to the economical crises. But it never planned expanding its opertions, plus it chose the most expensive airport of all in Moscow: Domodedovo (DME). WizzAir maintains a few flights from BUD only in very odd hours. But Pobeda seems to be doing quite fine, from Moscow/Vnukovo (VKO) to a bunch of low cost airports in Europe (such as BTS, BGY, CGN, FMM, GRO). Good for FR is that all Russian airspace is opened H24, so they could use their planes at night for longer routes, say from Dublin or France, Spain or even Italy. Departing, e.g. DUB at 21:00, that means landing in MOW at 04:30, and departing back at 05:00, arriving to DUB at 06:00, with time to prepare the plane for the first flight of the day.
I believe Moscow/Zhukovsky Airport (ZIA) was built specially for low cost carriers and the Russian economy is improving, thats why Pobeda has been expanding more internationally than locally. If FR would like to do something radical, St. Petersburg has never been tried by any low costs, and is a booming touristic city. I don't know how expensive are the fees of using Pulkovo Airport (LED) but there is no other option close, besides Tartu in Estonia or somewhere in SE Finland, which is already way too far.

LTenEleven

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 pm

eielef wrote:
Has FR never tried flying to Russia? Easyjet closed its routes (LGW and MAN) due to the economical crises. But it never planned expanding its opertions, plus it chose the most expensive airport of all in Moscow: Domodedovo (DME). WizzAir maintains a few flights from BUD only in very odd hours. But Pobeda seems to be doing quite fine, from Moscow/Vnukovo (VKO) to a bunch of low cost airports in Europe (such as BTS, BGY, CGN, FMM, GRO). Good for FR is that all Russian airspace is opened H24, so they could use their planes at night for longer routes, say from Dublin or France, Spain or even Italy. Departing, e.g. DUB at 21:00, that means landing in MOW at 04:30, and departing back at 05:00, arriving to DUB at 06:00, with time to prepare the plane for the first flight of the day.
I believe Moscow/Zhukovsky Airport (ZIA) was built specially for low cost carriers and the Russian economy is improving, thats why Pobeda has been expanding more internationally than locally. If FR would like to do something radical, St. Petersburg has never been tried by any low costs, and is a booming touristic city. I don't know how expensive are the fees of using Pulkovo Airport (LED) but there is no other option close, besides Tartu in Estonia or somewhere in SE Finland, which is already way too far.

Ryanair does not operate any overnight flights. With very very few exceptions, the fleet is back at base before 00:30.

[email protected]

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 am

Ryanair would only be able to serve Russia from Ireland unless Russia had an open skies with the EU or if Ryanair created other entities with different AOCs, a la easyJet Switzerland. However, Ryanair has looked at Russia - and it has been reported on - on various occasions. Type 'Ryanair looks at Russia' into Google.

Years ago, MOL said he has absolutely no interest in overnight flights, so their aircraft operate roughly 0600-midnight.

BestWestern

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 am

Ryanair has the rights, but not the inclination to fly from Ireland to Russia.

OverNight flying wreaks havok on tight crewing schedules that FR have optimised.

downdata

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:12 am

BobPatterson wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
After a few weeks of announcements, a total of 202 routes :o (144 new routes and 58 extended into winter season) for Ryanair.

When will Ryanair stop?

Where is Ryanair finding all the new pilots needed for the increased flying?

I had the same question..

eielef

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:19 am

[photoid][/photoid]
BestWestern wrote:
Ryanair has the rights, but not the inclination to fly from Ireland to Russia.

OverNight flying wreaks havok on tight crewing schedules that FR have optimised.

I thought Ryanair lost money with each second the plane was on the ground, but for crews it makes sense. I imagine flying short hauls (say STN-DUB-EDI-DUB-CRL-DUB) can be done by just one crew, while flying back and returning to Moscow can be done certainly by one crew, but it means less incomes. I'm wondering how it makes sense to fly to Israel, being further away than Moscow.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 am

eielef wrote:

Problem is that Ryanair, being an Irish airline, is only allowed to fly to Russia from Ireland and they got no intention to do so. To fly to Russia from another country they'd need an AOC from that country and they don't have them. Pobeda on the other hand is a Russian airline and on their Russian AOC they are allowed to fly to European countries from Russia, but they don't have the right to operate flights within Europe like Ryanair does.

I believe St. Petersburg has been served by Norwegian in the past, or maybe it still is. Not really sure about that. But it was only a minor destination, not much demand I believe.

BelAviaFan

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Ryanair is not always expanding, for example they reduced capacity at Brussels Airport summer 2016

And today it appears that for winter 2017-2018 there is a reduction of 23 %

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:42 pm

BelAviaFan wrote:
Ryanair is not always expanding, for example they reduced capacity at Brussels Airport summer 2016

True, but in the meantime they keep expanding at Charleroi. Some of these routes that discontinued from Brussels were simply moved to Charleroi. Seems like Charleroi works better for them than Brussels.

BelAviaFan

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:45 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
BelAviaFan wrote:

True, but in the meantime they keep expanding at Charleroi. Some of these routes that discontinued from Brussels were simply moved to Charleroi. Seems like Charleroi works better for them than Brussels.

Brussels Airlines is doing a better job than expected by Ryanair!!

Eindhoven

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
I don't think that the border proximity of GVA and ZRH is that much of a problem, I frankly don't know too many people travelling either from LYS ( closest to GVA ) or STR/MUC ( closest to ZRH ). As for BRN, their runway is 1730 mtrs only, so I doubt they could accomodate B-737. The project of building a brandnew central airport southwest of BRN was scrapped in 1970 and nobody has ever talked about it since.

Should be possible. ANR sees a 737 occasionally and only has 1510 meters. LMP has 1795 meters and BV fly their 737s there on a regular basis. Of course nowhere near MTOW but BRN-STN should be possible.

hynithuchi

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:31 am

Eindhoven wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
I don't think that the border proximity of GVA and ZRH is that much of a problem, I frankly don't know too many people travelling either from LYS ( closest to GVA ) or STR/MUC ( closest to ZRH ). As for BRN, their runway is 1730 mtrs only, so I doubt they could accomodate B-737. The project of building a brandnew central airport southwest of BRN was scrapped in 1970 and nobody has ever talked about it since.

Should be possible. ANR sees a 737 occasionally and only has 1510 meters. LMP has 1795 meters and BV fly their 737s there on a regular basis. Of course nowhere near MTOW but BRN-STN should be possible.

It's probably possible as they have some Helvetic E190 aircraft operating from there. However I'm not so sure you can compare ANR with BRN as it's probably a lot flatter there around the airport and it would probably mean limited payload. Beside, since this thread started about FR, they usually generate quite a massive passenger increase and IMO this would need serious upgrading of airport facilities, terminal, parking etc. Maybe someone who knows BRN a bit better could give their opinion about the feasibility of FR operation at BRN ?

PatrickZ80

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1YkaxBJ-k

Pretty steep climb, but nothing I haven't seen before.

I once drove by the airport and thought it was pretty flat around there, at least as flat as Switzerland can be. The big mountains are a bit more to the south so they're not in the way. I wouldn't call myself an expert but if it's not too many flights to start with I don't see any problems.

PhilInBRN

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:54 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:

It's probably possible as they have some Helvetic E190 aircraft operating from there. However I'm not so sure you can compare ANR with BRN as it's probably a lot flatter there around the airport and it would probably mean limited payload. Beside, since this thread started about FR, they usually generate quite a massive passenger increase and IMO this would need serious upgrading of airport facilities, terminal, parking etc. Maybe someone who knows BRN a bit better could give their opinion about the feasibility of FR operation at BRN ?

The issue with FR is only partly due to operational constraints. Even if FR deemed the 1730m runway feasible, the current departure fees of CHF 35 per pax would most certainly keep them away. The airport would have to pitch them much lower operating costs in order to lure them to BRN (which is not going to happen imo). Apart from runway length one also has to consider that the runway is only 30m wide and is set in a small valley which leads to higher than normal degree in approach glide slope. In addition, fog can be an issue at BRN. For instance, last year, a total of 2200 pax had to be rerouted via BSL as fog made a safe approach at BRN impossible. Long story short, BRN is not a good opportunity for FR to finally arrive at the Swiss market.
More realistic opportunities present themselves at BSL, GVA or even ZRH. However, the catchment area of BSL overlaps to a certain degree with FKB, a FR base. GVA (as well as BSL) is an EZY stronghold and FR would have to account for a strong counter attack and in essence significant initial losses (depending on the routes of course).
ZRH could be an opportunity. They have recently changed their operating fee models in order to encourage airlines to achieve a certain level of operations at the airport (volume driven fee rebates). Of course, operational constraints are an issue at ZRH and FR would most likely have to begin operations with less attractive slots. Facilities at ZRH are also not very attractive to ULCCs as a bus or a finger dock is required for all boardings. Nevertheless, the same operational constraints did not keep them away from expanding at FRA.
In the longer term future, FR operations at Payerne may become possible. The airport is currently exlusively used by the Swiss Air Force. However, a project to open the airport up for civilian use is well underway (mostly for GA operations though). The airport could be quite attractive to FR being located next to Switzerland's main motorway and within 60km driving distance from Bern and Lausanne. Either way, it will take at least another 5 to 10 years until Payerne could really become an option for airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos