Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

Oscar Can't Get Parts for UA's 747s?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 am

Today in Business Insider, Oscar says that a major reason he is retiring all of UA's 744s a year earlier is that he can't get parts. He says they've taken all the parts off all the out of service 744s around the world, and he still can't get parts for the 747s, because they are obsolete.

He's a railroad guy. His old railroad is still refurbing locomotives from before the early 1960s, so he's not knowledgeless about mechanical things.

Still, this sounds a bit odd, given that at any hour there are 150+ 744s flying around the world, and Boeing is certainly supporting the 748. And half of his remaining 744s are 16-17 years old.

http://www.businessinsider.com/united-a ... ire-2017-3

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Oscar Can't Get Parts for UA's 747s?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I think what he meant to say was that he couldn't find parts that are reasonably priced in order to keep his airlines' 747 flying & still make a profit. I don't think the notion that nobody is making new parts for the 744 is correct - how is BA still operating their 747 fleet if nobody's making new parts?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

747classic

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I haven't noticed any shortage of 744 parts.and Boeing still fully supports this aircraft type and most parts are very reasonable priced due a large spare part inventory, created by many retired 744 airframes.

IMHO the CEO has to inspect his maintenance organisation for proper reporting..
IIRC the Untited 744's are maintained according a customized maintenance program and not according the standard Boeing MSG 3 maintenance program.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

sxf24

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Engine parts are difficult to come by. New parts are outrageously expensive and used parts of acceptable quality are less common.

Newbiepilot

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:02 pm

I think the key statement is the word today:

If I need a part today, I can't get it. We stripped every airplane in the world of its parts to feed the need, and no one is making new parts for this particular aircraft because there are just not as many out there.

If an airplane is in for a maintenance check or gets grounded and needs a part, inventory is far less than what it used to be. It can take a while to get a part and many of the parts available on the aftermarket are unserviceable and need an overhaul. It costs a lot of money to stock adequate inventory, especially when parts suppliers have lost interest in the 747-400 and there are not as many airlines around to exchange and loan parts as there used to be. I think freight airlines like UPS, Atlas, Cargolux etc will keep the 747-400s flying for at least a dozen more years, but those types of airlines have different material management philosophies than a passenger airline.

Newbiepilot

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Engine parts are difficult to come by. New parts are outrageously expensive and used parts of acceptable quality are less common.

Is that true for the PW4000? That engine is still in production for the KC-46 so I would have thought that new parts should still be an option and there should be used parts around. Finding JT9 parts would be a challenge.

IADCA

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:32 pm

sxf24 wrote:

I'm not doubting you, but that's particularly surprising given that UA still operates 763s that also have PW4056s. I'm no engine expert, but I'd imagine there's a decent overlap in part inventory there.

Web

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Within the last year I flew a charter to deliver a 747 part. Thousands of dollars just to get the part from A to B in a timely manner. Do that enough and the fleet becomes more of a liability than an asset.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm

I think missing keywords are "for cheap". As more and more airlines taking these out of service, they should be auctioning off spare inventory.
All posts are just opinions.

sxf24

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Is that true for the PW4000? That engine is still in production for the KC-46 so I would have thought that new parts should still be an option and there should be used parts around. Finding JT9 parts would be a challenge.

Yes. Used LLPs of acceptable quality and heritage for the PW4000 are difficult to find. New parts are available from PW, but are very, very, very expensive. It only makes sense to buy new parts if the engine is going to stay on wing for a long time, which is not the case for the United 747s.

IADCA wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

I'm not doubting you, but that's particularly surprising given that UA still operates 763s that also have PW4056s. I'm no engine expert, but I'd imagine there's a decent overlap in part inventory there.

There is a lot of overlap. My understanding is that you can basically swap some engines with minimal changes. Both United and Delta are prioritizing parts for the PW4056s since they require 1/2 as many.

b747400erf

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Web wrote:
Within the last year I flew a charter to deliver a 747 part. Thousands of dollars just to get the part from A to B in a timely manner. Do that enough and the fleet becomes more of a liability than an asset.

It could have gone belly cargo, but obviously they needed the part there more quickly. The chances of that happening regularly, requiring a chartered aircraft for a single part, are not big. Chartering an aircraft for a replacement part is not unusual to a 747 it happens for every type of aircraft from stranded 787's that have engine damage to a cracked windshield.

LAXintl

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Keep in mind also with growing number of airlines retiring their 747 fleets, large pools of spares located around the world has vastly shrunk.

I was recently heard of an incident in Tokyo which once was truly a 747 heaven where what should have been a relatively common part was no longer found and had to be sourced from Taipei now that both ANA and JAL no longer operate the types and have disposed of their part inventory.

Bottom line is the 747 is getting harder and harder to support globally.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ScottB

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Still, this sounds a bit odd, given that at any hour there are 150+ 744s flying around the world, and Boeing is certainly supporting the 748. And half of his remaining 744s are 16-17 years old.

The big issue, of course, is the expensive center fuel tank inerting modification which must be applied to all aircraft in the fleet by late December of this year. It's not something an airline executive really wants to speak about to a publication with an audience of the general public since there's an implication that the fleet is unsafe without the modification and one of the aircraft might spontaneously explode as TW 800 did 20 years ago. The optics are better if he blames parts availability even if that's something of a self-imposed limitation; the lack of availability of parts within United's maintenance operation is due in large part to the fact that the fleet is going to be parked later this year, so there's little reason to stock expensive new parts which might have to be sold unused at a deep discount or thrown away.

Okie

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:43 pm

ScottB wrote:
The optics are better if he blames parts availability even if that's something of a self-imposed limitation; the lack of availability of parts within United's maintenance operation is due in large part to the fact that the fleet is going to be parked later this year, so there's little reason to stock expensive new parts which might have to be sold unused at a deep discount or thrown away.

That is about as close as it is going to get in relation to the parts issue.

I caught a Titan American Built program probably six months ago that indicated K4 is the source for about anything 742 or 744 new and rebuilt short of tires and pilots.
I think they are a repair center for the GE CF6 as well.

Okie

enilria

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:46 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I think what he meant to say was that he couldn't find parts that are reasonably priced in order to keep his airlines' 747 flying & still make a profit.

I think what he meant to say is that he can't get parts that are economic to operate for only one more year, although the backside of that is that if they buy parts with a longer useful life they should be able to then resell them into what appears to be a hot market for 744 parts.

zeke

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:27 pm

If I was in the parts supply business and saw that I would have just increased my prices even further. As you know they will not contact you unless they cannot get it elsewhere.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

readytotaxi

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:42 pm

ScottB wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

"The big issue, of course, is the expensive center fuel tank inerting modification which must be applied to all aircraft in the fleet by late December of this year."

Have BA completed this mod on all 37 current fleet?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Channex757

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 pm

There are plenty of systems on the 744 that are customer-specified too. Boeing offers alternatives and the client would choose. That cuts the pool down a bit.

A lot of parked 744s are also that, parked. Not broken up. The engines might have been taken off but the rest of the plane is under foil and preservatives. Parts like undercarriage assemblies can be high ticket value and not easy to obtain with any decent life on them. So Oscar is probably right in that the available spares pool isn't great.

Skyguy

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 pm

The convenient and timely availability of spare parts at a reasonable cost is also the reason why airlines when introducing a new aircraft choose those destination airports where that type of aircraft is already a frequent visitor (or based there by its home airline(s)), thereby assuring that the ecosystem of commonly needed spare parts and trained mechanics for that aircraft type are accessible. These days the 747 become a less seen than say a decade ago, airlines prefer to fly it those hubs where other airlines also fly them to or where there are known strong maintenance and resource bases for parts and servicing should the need arise. Often airlines buy or borrow parts from each other when at each others home bases or major airports where they have parts and support, if an airline which previously operated an aircraft but now no longer does so, then the chances of finding maintenance or quick service support and parts becomes slim. This ends up becoming very expensive then to either ferry parts over to wherever the aircraft is or buy them at expensive rates, if available.

I recall in the late 1970's once as a kid with my family, we were on Qantas and it made a fuel-stop plus unloaded/boarded pax and cargo in Bahrain. One of the engines ended up going tech and the ground crew did not have parts available nor the support needed to fix the problem. Ended up with a 48 hour delay with the airline putting us up at a local hotel while another Qantas 747 flew in on it's way to LHR ferrying a 5th engine under it's wing along with a team of Qantas engineers to swap the engine out with our aircraft. Bahrain in those days was a small patch of a place and frequent refueling stop for many flights but not much by means of significant engineering facilities and support. In today's day and age with better reliability and easier access of spares and service, such things are quite uncommon, but if they happen, it's expensive to rectify.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

strfyr51

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:33 pm

747classic wrote:
I haven't noticed any shortage of 744 parts.and Boeing still fully supports this aircraft type and most parts are very reasonable priced due a large spare part inventory, created by many retired 744 airframes.

IMHO the CEO has to inspect his maintenance organisation for proper reporting..
IIRC the Untited 744's are maintained according a customized maintenance program and not according the standard Boeing MSG 3 maintenance program.

The B744's are old it's true, But the problem isn't parts, It's that only the United (PMUA) side of the house is familiar in repairing them.
While Both sides of the "House" (PMUA and PMCO) know the B777 and they can replace the B744's.
We can deploy the B777's to any of our hubs and know they can make the trip they're assigned to.
Meanwhile? We have to limit where and when we deploy the B744's
Hopefully? We'll be better at deploying the A350-1000's and not have them become "1 hit wonders" limited to 1 hub like the B744's.

MileHFL400

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 pm

If UA continues this streak of bad publicity he ll have to park his B744's and more besides soon!
Thanks and best Regards
AA

bennett123

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 pm

As said by others no shortage of parked B747-400's.

In the last year at least 6 BA/SV just at Kemble.

Must be some useable parts on parked aircraft.

litz

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Today in Business Insider, Oscar says that a major reason he is retiring all of UA's 744s a year earlier is that he can't get parts. He says they've taken all the parts off all the out of service 744s around the world, and he still can't get parts for the 747s, because they are obsolete.

He's a railroad guy. His old railroad is still refurbing locomotives from before the early 1960s, so he's not knowledgeless about mechanical things.

http://www.businessinsider.com/united-a ... ire-2017-3

There is a big, big difference between a 1950s vintage GP9 (or even a 70s vintage SD40) and anything aviation related ... for one thing, you can make almost anything that goes on anything railroad related in a machine shop. You make the part, you install the part, and the train goes on down the tracks. Very (very) much a "can-do" or "get-r-done" attitude.

Try that in the aviation world, and watch how fast the FAA smacks you down ... certification costs alone are killer.

Moral : you can't map a railroad shop's practices onto, say, Delta Tech Ops. Totally different methods and means of how they work and do business.

AirlineCritic

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:42 pm

The main reason that they should be retiring Oscar is that they can't get the empathy component from anywhere for his model.

7673mech

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 pm

bennett123 wrote:
As said by others no shortage of parked B747-400's.

In the last year at least 6 BA/SV just at Kemble.

Must be some useable parts on parked aircraft.

Parts can not just be transferred.
$$$$ involved in making those kinds of parts serviceable.
As others has said not necessarily economical.

7673mech

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
If UA continues this streak of bad publicity he ll have to park his B744's and more besides soon!

Why is this bad press.

NWAROOSTER

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 pm

ScottB wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

The big issue, of course, is the expensive center fuel tank inerting modification which must be applied to all aircraft in the fleet by late December of this year. It's not something an airline executive really wants to speak about to a publication with an audience of the general public since there's an implication that the fleet is unsafe without the modification and one of the aircraft might spontaneously explode as TW 800 did 20 years ago.

In response to the above statement. Airlines like United and Delta do not want to spend large amounts of money on their 747-400s as they both have no intention complying with the center fuel tank FAA mandated AD, Airworthy Directive. Therefore they will retire all their 747s by the end of the year and will use any 747s that they retire before the end of the year as feed stock. Also Delta has bought two retired Singapore Airlines for parts. If the cost to repair a 747-400 is too expensive it will be retired. Both airlines have aircraft that can replace any retired 747. The airlines need for the 747-400 will diminish after Summer fly season end and and retirements will begin.
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

Jetmarc

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 pm

When is United's final 744 flight? I can't find the original thread. How likely will the scheduled final flight stick considering the parking of 77W due to seat production delays? We caught the final 737 flight between LAX and SFO. Guess nothing like that is planned for the jumbo. Trying to book tickets on the final 747 flight, thanks for the help and info...
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

United1

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:49 am

Jetmarc wrote:
When is United's final 744 flight? I can't find the original thread. How likely will the scheduled final flight stick considering the parking of 77W due to seat production delays? We caught the final 737 flight between LAX and SFO. Guess nothing like that is planned for the jumbo. Trying to book tickets on the final 747 flight, thanks for the help and info...

I believe its sometime in Q4...while nothing has been announced UA did mention they would be giving the 747 quite the send off when the time comes. Hopefully they firm up the dates soon...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

DocLightning

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:37 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
I think freight airlines like UPS, Atlas, Cargolux etc will keep the 747-400s flying for at least a dozen more years, but those types of airlines have different material management philosophies than a passenger airline.

I know this isn't TechOps, but can you go into a bit more detail as to what these differences might be?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

xjetflyer2001

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 am

Jetmarc wrote:

October 29th is the final flight for the UA 744, ICN-SFO

jfk777

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Buy some used 744 their parts. Boeing made 700 747-400 and only 150 are flying so 550 are parked or have been broken up. Qantas, Thai, China Airlines, Korean, Air China, Asiana, KLM, LH and BA still have large 744 fleets. The 744 will be around for a while.

Andy33

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Parts availability can't be as bad as suggested because British Airways are planning on still operating 23 744s at the end of 2020. Admittedly by that time there will be a fair few retired examples, as they owned 57 at maximum.
The fuel tank modification is obviously the real driver for United, and parts is just a cover story.

Newbiepilot

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
I think freight airlines like UPS, Atlas, Cargolux etc will keep the 747-400s flying for at least a dozen more years, but those types of airlines have different material management philosophies than a passenger airline.

I know this isn't TechOps, but can you go into a bit more detail as to what these differences might be?

I look at parts management two ways. First you have AOG support for planes that are grounded. Next you have long term inventory for line replaceable units.

Freight airlines tend to manage part inventory a bit differently. Given the nature of their networks to more remote destinations with lower frequency and a lack of consistency in the flying, the freight airlines often have fairly large fly away kits with spare parts on board the airplanes. Freight airlines may have a whole cargo container worth of parts including some higher value LRUs that passenger airlines stock in each city that they fly to. Passenger airlines sometimes use fly away kits, but not to the same extent. Passenger airlines usually stock parts in the cities that the plane flies to. For example UA probably has 747 parts in SFO, HKG, NRT, ORD and their other 747 destinations.

Freight operators have similar overhaul and component repair programs but I have seen them more aggressively buying used airplanes to part out. They also will do lifetime buys for components at risk of going obsolete. A freight airline planning to operate 747-400s for another dozen years will spend significantly more to build up inventory since they know the supply chain is weak and it would be exorbitantly expensive to get some components built one of as needed and come with a 6 month lead time. An airline like United is less likely to continue to build the needed inventory since they have a retirement schedule in the near future.

767333ER

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Yes. Used LLPs of acceptable quality and heritage for the PW4000 are difficult to find. New parts are available from PW, but are very, very, very expensive. It only makes sense to buy new parts if the engine is going to stay on wing for a long time, which is not the case for the United 747s.

IADCA wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

There is a lot of overlap. My understanding is that you can basically swap some engines with minimal changes. Both United and Delta are prioritizing parts for the PW4056s since they require 1/2 as many.

Their 763s are all ERs so they all have the more powerful PW4060. I'm not sure if there really is much difference between the 4056 and 4060 though. If the engines were the issue the 763s would be dumped. I think the issue is 3 things: fuel tank mod, poor dispatch reliability, and the difficulty of finding other spare parts rapt a reasonable price.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

n471wn

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:07 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Buy some used 744 their parts. Boeing made 700 747-400 and only 150 are flying so 550 are parked or have been broken up. Qantas, Thai, China Airlines, Korean, Air China, Asiana, KLM, LH and BA still have large 744 fleets. The 744 will be around for a while.

You are close on the number of 400's produced as it is 694 but you are woefully off by a factor of 2 on the number of 400's still flying. That number is 397.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 pm

[quote="Newbiepilot"][/quote]

Thank you so much for an informative post!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

dennis2380

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 am

its more like united let the 744's got in such bad condition and did not know what a.d's were complied with.They have spent the last several years trying to get the records correct spending a lot of money on them. Just seen on the airbus production site united canceled the a350/1000's.more 777/300's coming ?

strfyr51

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

I look at parts management two ways. First you have AOG support for planes that are grounded. Next you have long term inventory for line replaceable units.

Freight airlines tend to manage part inventory a bit differently. Given the nature of their networks to more remote destinations with lower frequency and a lack of consistency in the flying, the freight airlines often have fairly large fly away kits with spare parts on board the airplanes. Freight airlines may have a whole cargo container worth of parts including some higher value LRUs that passenger airlines stock in each city that they fly to. Passenger airlines sometimes use fly away kits, but not to the same extent. Passenger airlines usually stock parts in the cities that the plane flies to. For example UA probably has 747 parts in SFO, HKG, NRT, ORD and their other 747 destinations.

Freight operators have similar overhaul and component repair programs but I have seen them more aggressively buying used airplanes to part out. They also will do lifetime buys for components at risk of going obsolete. A freight airline planning to operate 747-400s for another dozen years will spend significantly more to build up inventory since they know the supply chain is weak and it would be exorbitantly expensive to get some components built one of as needed and come with a 6 month lead time. An airline like United is less likely to continue to build the needed inventory since they have a retirement schedule in the near future.

I worked Freighters before I came to United. For One? Freighters are purposely built without Cabin amenities like main deck Lavatories, Galleys, seats, sidewalls windows or window shades, the Air conditioning system is truncated, the lighting system is mostly removed in converting the airplane from Passenger to freighter use. A Main Deck cargo loading system is installed to move the upper deck cans or pallets, the fire and smoke detect and extinguishing systems are reconfigured a LOT of stuff is removed that was passenger sensitive So a freighter operation is pared WAY down in respect to a passenger operation which is why many times after an airplane has been operated in passenger service for a number of years it ends it's life as a freighter. The two operations really have not much in common other than the airplane. That center tank inerting system AD note is something that could be forgone if the airplane was out of passenger operation.
It's a big mod that frankly? doesn't need to be accomplished by United because the airplane can be replaced with another airplane on a nearly one for one basis.
The 777-300ER is a fine replacement as well. I DO love the B747-422 but as much as I love them???
The "old girls" are ready to move on to another Career.

Newbiepilot

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 am

dennis2380 wrote:
its more like united let the 744's got in such bad condition and did not know what a.d's were complied with.They have spent the last several years trying to get the records correct spending a lot of money on them. Just seen on the airbus production site united canceled the a350/1000's.more 777/300's coming ?

I don't believe that statement at all. United has been the sole owners of their 747 fleets. If they had missed AD compliance, there would be fines levied against them, which we would likely hear about. With your statement you are seriously questioning the safety of United and the FAA. Such statements should have proof.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos