Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
chrisjake
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:19 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 pm

"EMP - Ferried to Boston 08/03/17"

EMP has since been parked at Goodyear sans paint: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_jac ... ed-family/
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Polot wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Would a parked aircraft not typically have covers on the engines to prevent sand ingestion?

That is for long term parking.

The EK supposed "parking" (I don't know if it is real or not) is basically lower utilization of the fleet so there are "spares" parked instead of being used either because of lack of markets for the plane or lack of crew (depending on who you ask, although I believe the crew issue is turning into a problem for EK). But of course the spares are being rotated across the fleet, it won't always be the same aircraft parked for extended periods of time.

I only looked at 12 leased aircraft. They only averaged 10-14.5 hours utilisation per day in the second half of 2016. If that includes rotated resting and checks (3pa based on hours), I would have thought the rest period was needed and justified.

Maybe other airlines are averaging >14.5 hours per day, so EK is falling short of industry best practice benchmarks. What average daily utilisation did US3, EU3 and ME2 WB aircraft achieve in the same time period?
 
User avatar
777GE90
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:47 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Just a little food for thought, showing some of the 380s taking a rest, or in maintenance...or parked.

Image


Where is this photo taken and when?
Image
 
RushmoreAir
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:29 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Planesmart wrote:
What average daily utilisation did US3 ... WB aircraft achieve in the same time period?


Here are some data points for the US3:

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2015 ... 0Fleet.htm

Edit: For reference, in 2015 all three were between 10.5 and 13 block hours per day.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc
 
DDR
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 pm

After 9/11 my airline stored a lot of planes and kept several more in service by flying them on only one round trip a day. As lines were added back, the planes flew more round trips. The stored planes didn't return to the fleet until flying was back to a normal schedule.

Maybe EK is just trying to keep cycles low so they are only making one or two flight a day?
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:08 am

EK can't staff airplanes. Go to any board where actual crew post. The airline is under an exodus from their slave ship operations.

Amazing how out of touch A.Net is. This website used to be something special.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:11 am

Varsity1 wrote:
EK can't staff airplanes. Go to any board where actual crew post. The airline is under an exodus from their slave ship operations.

Amazing how out of touch A.Net is. This website used to be something special.


Congratulations on your 500th post. You must really find a.net special to stay in touch so often.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
EK can't staff airplanes. Go to any board where actual crew post. The airline is under an exodus from their slave ship operations.

Amazing how out of touch A.Net is. This website used to be something special.


Congratulations on your 500th post. You must really find a.net special to stay in touch so often.


Thanks!

It's like watching a train wreck. Can't look away.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 am

Planesmart wrote:
Polot wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Would a parked aircraft not typically have covers on the engines to prevent sand ingestion?

That is for long term parking.

The EK supposed "parking" (I don't know if it is real or not) is basically lower utilization of the fleet so there are "spares" parked instead of being used either because of lack of markets for the plane or lack of crew (depending on who you ask, although I believe the crew issue is turning into a problem for EK). But of course the spares are being rotated across the fleet, it won't always be the same aircraft parked for extended periods of time.

I only looked at 12 leased aircraft. They only averaged 10-14.5 hours utilisation per day in the second half of 2016. If that includes rotated resting and checks (3pa based on hours), I would have thought the rest period was needed and justified.

Maybe other airlines are averaging >14.5 hours per day, so EK is falling short of industry best practice benchmarks. What average daily utilisation did US3, EU3 and ME2 WB aircraft achieve in the same time period?


EK schedule their flights into "Banks" at DXB, which mean some planes which arrive relativly earlier in the arrival bank will be sitting on DXB for an extended time untill all arrival flights in that bank arrived and turnaround before they depart from DXB again. So it is completely normally for EK to have a lower fleetwide utilisation rate then other airlines.
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 am

So is there a conclusion on ghis whole debate? Is emirates putting aircraft in to long term storage or not?!

On a side note i would have thought that the first few 777-300ER wiuld be leaving their fleet pretty soon?
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
WIederling
Posts: 9311
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am

jumbojet wrote:
riddle: Who can park countless widebody frames with no routes to fly them and not have to worry about profit?

Answer: Government subsidized Emirates Airlines.

Now, if anyone still believes Emirates is not receiving billions in subsidies, than I have a bridge to sell you.


Fake insights based on fake news ?
Murphy is an optimist
 
Auchmithie
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
So is there a conclusion on ghis whole debate? Is emirates putting aircraft in to long term storage or not?!


There are no Emirates aircraft in long term storage with the exceptions of B777-300s A6-EMN and A6-EMX at Dubai World Central which may well have been withdrawn from service.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
So is there a conclusion on ghis whole debate? Is emirates putting aircraft in to long term storage or not?!


Discussion is about variable usage or virtual parking.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am

Perhaps Emirates are experimenting with 'alternative parking'? :duck:
Really? Four more years of this?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 am

bgm wrote:
Perhaps Emirates are experimenting with 'alternative parking'? :duck:


On different forum someone suggested them to park at one of their AFBs, so no one can take pictures.

How much it would cost to convert existing highways between DXB and DXC as Code F taxiways. They should look into this before wasting $38 Billion on DWC. There are high-speed tugs which can reach 80 MPH. Load them up taxi to other airport and take-off.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
bgm wrote:
Perhaps Emirates are experimenting with 'alternative parking'? :duck:


On different forum someone suggested them to park at one of their AFBs, so no one can take pictures.

How much it would cost to convert existing highways between DXB and DXC as Code F taxiways. They should look into this before wasting $38 Billion on DWC. There are high-speed tugs which can reach 80 MPH. Load them up taxi to other airport and take-off.


Image
Really? Four more years of this?
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 963
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:46 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
Just a little food for thought, showing some of the 380s taking a rest, or in maintenance...or parked.

Image


And the bubble began to inflate...
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

bgm wrote:
Image


Nice to see you bgm. Where are the Tea and Bikkies.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 am

EK would be wise to send one of their 'hidden aeroplanes' to Boston on Wednesday to help clear the backlog after the big snow cancelling both flights today. An A380 would help the cause...a bit.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10164
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Geez the Emirates fanboys here have officially outdone the Delta fanboys in the overprotective nutjob scale.
Every airlines parks airplanes for one reason or another and for differing amounts of time. It's a normal business practice. Why do you need to get your panties in a bunch over it? Holy mole!
 
EC135C
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
riddle: Who can park countless widebody frames with no routes to fly them and not have to worry about profit?

Answer: Government subsidized Emirates Airlines.

Now, if anyone still believes Emirates is not receiving billions in subsidies, than I have a bridge to sell you.


Is there any evidence to back that up? Untill you find any you are a liar.

The rudeness here continues to amaze me. I have been taught that responses like this are from uneducated folks who do not know how to express themselves in a cognizant manner.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't know much about DWC but is there any maintenance facilities there?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
I don't know much about DWC but is there any maintenance facilities there?


New MRO facility is coming up, not sure what they have right now.

At DXB there is mx hanger space for 8 WBs. Not sure if all are active as there is exodus in engineering as well.
All posts are just opinions.
 
emiratesdriver
Topic Author
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:25 pm

It's quite sad when you think about it, you present a few facts and you get called names. You present photographic evidence and you are questioned on your motives or other wise. Somewhere along the way Parked aeroplanes aren't parked anymore, the shortage of crew to fly them and the exodus of those qualified to do so is in your imagination or worse.
Is it any wonder "enthusiasts" and their websites are ridiculed as much as they are? It seems to me there's a good % on here that do indeed require significant amounts of medication and would in all likelihood require supervision in public spaces, but not to worry let's just imagine those big shiny birds parked all over the place were never here to begin with.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
It's quite sad when you think about it, you present a few facts and you get called names. You present photographic evidence and you are questioned on your motives or other wise. Somewhere along the way Parked aeroplanes aren't parked anymore, the shortage of crew to fly them and the exodus of those qualified to do so is in your imagination or worse.
Is it any wonder "enthusiasts" and their websites are ridiculed as much as they are? It seems to me there's a good % on here that do indeed require significant amounts of medication and would in all likelihood require supervision in public spaces, but not to worry let's just imagine those big shiny birds parked all over the place were never here to begin with.


They know the facts, they are asking for evidence knowing system is setup to make it difficult. What they cannot swallow now is you indeed posted the picture.

Goal is to throw tantrum, create ruckus to get posts deleted, get the thread closed, and get members banned. I think my post may still hold the record in highest number(49) on SD requests on single post on a.net, for questioning EK financials and auditor few years back.
All posts are just opinions.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15215
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:38 pm

The number of parked aircraft could be also do to other factors. Seasonal demand or lack of demand. Flat or declining demand on certain routes. Staffing issues. Reducing the number of seats to improve yields. EK doesn't have the capital expenses of most airlines so parking aircraft is not as expensive as it would be for others.
 
JamesAlice
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:16 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Last week at my work, we were a little bit quieter than usual so a few days instead of ten vans being out doing deliveries there were eight.

The other 2 of them were in the yard parked up. This week all 10 are back on the road.

It's mad how these things happen.
 
SVJ77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46 pm

JeremyB wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:
If there's plenty parked, there should be pictures... numbers... anybody?


I just tried to google it looking for pictures, but apparently maps also shows evidence of this. I see 4 of them parked at the Emirates SkyCargo site.


That is a normal parking spot for EK aircrafts since years. I would see them everyday on my way to work from way back in 2005 and it is still the case today. They are parked and pushed back for flights later in the evening or night when most of them fly off.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20049
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The number of parked aircraft could be also do to other factors. Seasonal demand or lack of demand. Flat or declining demand on certain routes. Staffing issues. Reducing the number of seats to improve yields. EK doesn't have the capital expenses of most airlines so parking aircraft is not as expensive as it would be for others.

EK just exited a low season. One would expect utilization lower than the annual average.

I think EK is hurting. Regional business is down due to lower oil prices. But in no way is EK out of the game.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Just a little food for thought, showing some of the 380s taking a rest, or in maintenance...or parked.

Image



Almost certainly just daily maintenance/service. Look at all the GPU carts, stairs and service vehicles surrounding the planes.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15112
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Almost certainly just daily maintenance/service. Look at all the GPU carts, stairs and service vehicles surrounding the planes.


If I am not mistaken that is taken around P7, and is where EK have their maintenance facilities.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

They are having flight crew roadshows all over Europe right now, just probably can not find many fish who want to swim in the desert.
It's a small world and people talk. People are fleeing EK and Dubai, because the extravaganza is ending.
Throwing out cash can only be done for as long as there is cash to throw.

Look at it this way, EKdriver.
They can save on the cost of "ferrying them to the desert", because DXB is the desert.
 
User avatar
speedbored
Posts: 2230
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 pm

This really has to be one of the most ridiculous EK bashing threads ever.

Planesmart wrote:
I only looked at 12 leased aircraft. They only averaged 10-14.5 hours utilisation per day in the second half of 2016.

RushmoreAir wrote:
Here are some data points for the US3: ... For reference, in 2015 all three were between 10.5 and 13 block hours per day.

It is clear from the numbers that EK is actually averaging slightly higher utilisation than the US3 average of just under 12 hours per day. For some reason, some people here are trying to paint that as EK "parking aircraft".

Very few major airlines have average widebody fleet utilisation much above 12 or 13 hours per day and we don't see anyone accusing any of them of "parking aircraft". Because it is simply normal widebody operations.

If you don't believe Plansmart's numbers, go and do some of your own maths on some EK aircraft numbers published by one of the leasing companies:
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... 78034.html
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... 92647.html
(It comes to an average 12.55 hours per day)
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
TheGeordielad wrote:
I don't know much about DWC but is there any maintenance facilities there?


New MRO facility is coming up, not sure what they have right now.

At DXB there is mx hanger space for 8 WBs. Not sure if all are active as there is exodus in engineering as well.


Ok thanks.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
EK can't staff airplanes. Go to any board where actual crew post. The airline is under an exodus from their slave ship operations.

Many of those other forums (e.g. pprune) exaggerate the situation. Some of the posters may have an agenda after having a bad experience working for EK. For example, the pilots on pprune have been complaining about severe staff shortages for more than two years now, but EK was expanding quickly in 2015 and most of 2016. I'm not saying there are no staff shortages and working conditions are great, but it is certainly not as bad as described.
 
ThomasCook
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:43 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:19 pm

The photo posted by emiratesdriver is from DXB not DWC as referred to in the original post. The photo is also a shot of the maintainance base. It means nothing and is totally out of context for the original post.

Taking a brief look at an airfield and seeing parked aircraft and making a determination based on that alone is utterly rediculous. Parked aircraft are a daily scene at airports everywhere. Right now at MCO, I just drove past 12 parked by JetBlue (not at their hanger), parked almost in an interlocked way. Furthermore, 4 parked by UAL and 2 by AA. So what? It means nothing to see a few aircraft parked without any facts. Go to Heathrow and look at how many aircraft BA have parked everyday.
 
ExDubai
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Interesting. What is the problem with EK? Run out routes to run profitable or run out of crew?

I'd guess running out of crews is the answer. A lot of rumours about recruitment not able to provide enough pilots. When I talk to ex colleagues it seems the drainage of knowledge just started. Numbers of pilots leaving should rise when the schools are going into summer holiday.
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20049
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 pm

ThomasCook wrote:
The photo posted by emiratesdriver is from DXB not DWC as referred to in the original post. The photo is also a shot of the maintainance base. It means nothing and is totally out of context for the original post.

Taking a brief look at an airfield and seeing parked aircraft and making a determination based on that alone is utterly rediculous. Parked aircraft are a daily scene at airports everywhere. Right now at MCO, I just drove past 12 parked by JetBlue (not at their hanger), parked almost in an interlocked way. Furthermore, 4 parked by UAL and 2 by AA. So what? It means nothing to see a few aircraft parked without any facts. Go to Heathrow and look at how many aircraft BA have parked everyday.

Agreed. I often fly into LAX to be greeted by 4 Quantas aircraft waiting for the night rush back to Australia. They sit there for about 12 hours.

EK might or might not have crew issues. They are recruiting. The work schedule isn't fun. But is it so bad they cannot recruit?

I think there is a regional slowdown. I think EK is not very profitable right now. Cest la vie.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.
 
ExDubai
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:17 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
What I don't understand with this whole thing is this.

If EK is fed money by the government why would they need to park planes? They could fly them empty and not have to worry.

I think everyone just likes to point and say "SEE! SEE! It isn't possible an airline centered in a geographically perfect area between Europe and Asia can experience explosive growth."

EK isn't fed by the Dubai government, EK as a foundation of Dubais economy is feeding Dubai. But yes, EK has certain privileges in DXB and advantages other carriers don't have because it's a "government entity". When you deal with EK, you're dealing with "Big Mos pocket"
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8371
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:22 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
It's quite sad when you think about it, you present a few facts and you get called names. You present photographic evidence and you are questioned on your motives or other wise. Somewhere along the way Parked aeroplanes aren't parked anymore, the shortage of crew to fly them and the exodus of those qualified to do so is in your imagination or worse.
Is it any wonder "enthusiasts" and their websites are ridiculed as much as they are? It seems to me there's a good % on here that do indeed require significant amounts of medication and would in all likelihood require supervision in public spaces, but not to worry let's just imagine those big shiny birds parked all over the place were never here to begin with.


With all due respect the facts really aren't clear and you haven't posted any substantive evidence.

The only thing we know as fact is that Emirates have aircraft on hard stand at DXB. That shouldn't be a shocker, it's their main hub. There are DL aircraft on hard stand in ATL, LH in FRA and QF in SYD. No one is suggesting they are parking aircraft.

You started this thread claiming there were countless parked 777s at DWC, but publicly available data confirms that there are 2, both WFU lease returns. You didn't exactly do much for your own credibility there.

You point to a picture of FIVE A380s as evidence that Emirates is parking aircraft left right and centre. It looks more dramatic and more permanent as they are parked nose-to-tail, but you know better than I do that is totally normal in DXB due to ramp constraints. You also know as well as I do that all five aircraft were probably back in the air within 12 hours.

So what exactly is your point?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
ExDubai
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
EK can't staff airplanes. Go to any board where actual crew post. The airline is under an exodus from their slave ship operations.

Many of those other forums (e.g. pprune) exaggerate the situation. Some of the posters may have an agenda after having a bad experience working for EK. For example, the pilots on pprune have been complaining about severe staff shortages for more than two years now, but EK was expanding quickly in 2015 and most of 2016. I'm not saying there are no staff shortages and working conditions are great, but it is certainly not as bad as described.

Any idea what happend with the rosters in the last 2 years, esp. on the tractor? Why did EK lower the pilot recruitment requirements?
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
 
emiratesdriver
Topic Author
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Thomas cook, go and re-read the original post, have a sneaky peek at why I said there are 777's at DWC..etc

The photo posted by emiratesdriver is from DXB not DWC as referred to in the original post. The photo is also a shot of the maintainance base. It means nothing and is totally out of context for the original post.


It is entirely in context, but..like I said...it's just figments of my imagination.


Taking a brief look at an airfield and seeing parked aircraft and making a determination based on that alone is utterly rediculous. Parked aircraft are a daily scene at airports everywhere. Right now at MCO, I just drove past 12 parked by JetBlue (not at their hanger), parked almost in an interlocked way. Furthermore, 4 parked by UAL and 2 by AA. So what? It means nothing to see a few aircraft parked without any facts. Go to Heathrow and look at how many aircraft BA have parked everyday.


A couple of points here..given that I sit at the pointy end I get to see a lot more than a brief look at the airfield mentioned, moreover it's the worst kept secret in DXB that there are a lot of "spare" 380's in every nook and cranny that's available at the moment.
As for the rest of your babble...we aren't talking about MCO, JetBlue UAL or LHR, quite frankly I could give 2 hoots..they are, as are your comments relating to them, entirely and utterly irrelevant.
Not to worry..it's all an invention on my part..it never happened, nothing to see here.

Ryanair Guru, perhaps you need to brush up on your reading comprehension as well...

You started this thread claiming there were countless parked 777s at DWC, but publicly available data confirms that there are 2, both WFU lease returns. You didn't exactly do much for your own credibility there.



Where did I say countless? and when has publically available data ever been considered gospel with respect to the Middle East?

As for my agenda? I'm just presenting what I've imagined.
 
ExDubai
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:45 pm

lightsaber wrote:
EK might or might not have crew issues. They are recruiting. The work schedule isn't fun. But is it so bad they cannot recruit?

I think there is a regional slowdown. I think EK is not very profitable right now. Cest la vie.

Lightsaber

Problem is they can't get enough expierenced people. That's why the had to lower the bar and extended the bond to 5 years. EK hired a big group of pilots in 2010/2011. Now they 2010 joiners are able to get 100% of the provident fund. So guess, what will happen.
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
 
ThomasCook
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:43 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:24 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Thomas cook, go and re-read the original post, have a sneaky peek at why I said there are 777's at DWC..etc

The photo posted by emiratesdriver is from DXB not DWC as referred to in the original post. The photo is also a shot of the maintainance base. It means nothing and is totally out of context for the original post.


It is entirely in context, but..like I said...it's just figments of my imagination.



Taking a brief look at an airfield and seeing parked aircraft and making a determination based on that alone is utterly rediculous. Parked aircraft are a daily scene at airports everywhere. Right now at MCO, I just drove past 12 parked by JetBlue (not at their hanger), parked almost in an interlocked way. Furthermore, 4 parked by UAL and 2 by AA. So what? It means nothing to see a few aircraft parked without any facts. Go to Heathrow and look at how many aircraft BA have parked everyday.


A couple of points here..given that I sit at the pointy end I get to see a lot more than a brief look at the airfield mentioned, moreover it's the worst kept secret in DXB that there are a lot of "spare" 380's in every nook and cranny that's available at the moment.
As for the rest of your babble...we aren't talking about MCO, JetBlue UAL or LHR, quite frankly I could give 2 hoots..they are, as are your comments relating to them, entirely and utterly irrelevant.
Not to worry..it's all an invention on my part..it never happened, nothing to see here.

Ryanair Guru, perhaps you need to brush up on your reading comprehension as well...

You started this thread claiming there were countless parked 777s at DWC, but publicly available data confirms that there are 2, both WFU lease returns. You didn't exactly do much for your own credibility there.



Where did I say countless? and when has publically available data ever been considered gospel with respect to the Middle East?

As for my agenda? I'm just presenting what I've imagined.


Exactly emiratesdriver, the photo you posted is total bs because anybody who understands EKs operations and DXB as an airport knows that the A380s in the photo at the maintainance base are a daily occurance 365 days a year. You know full well that they are not parked as you suggested they could be when you posted the photo. If they were parked, they wouldn't be placed in an area blocking access to the hangers. You're simply trying to stir up something out of nothing. And still it does nothing to support your claim of these so called 777s at DWC.

My obersvations at MCO today are totally relevant because it is exactly what you have done. Only I've stopped short of starting a sensationalised thread about JetBlue's parked aircraft based on zero fact. As you are up the front you are more then aware of the number of parked aircraft by airlines all over the world at their hubs and outstations all day every day. You DWC myth is debunked. Are you going to now provide some evidence of 'spare A380s'?

I don't know what your agenda is, perhaps you've left EK on bad terms or you're still there bearing a grudge.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15112
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:32 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Agreed. I often fly into LAX to be greeted by 4 Quantas aircraft waiting for the night rush back to Australia. They sit there for about 12 hours.


Maybe 4 QANTAS aircraft also :)

The Quantas ones are subatomic parked at the Higgs Boson terminal.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
anstar
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm

VSMUT wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
Just a little food for thought, showing some of the 380s taking a rest, or in maintenance...or parked.

Image



Almost certainly just daily maintenance/service. Look at all the GPU carts, stairs and service vehicles surrounding the planes.



So they have 5 A380's parked out of what 90 odd in service? and a fleet of 240 widebodies+ I don't see the big deal?

Given someone like UA have 180 or so widebodies would we be predicting their demise if we saw 4 or 5 of their widebodies parked up at a hub?

As was pointed out earlier it is certainly not unusual to see BA aircraft parked sometimes 10+ widebodies at LHR during the day.
 
subramak1
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
The ME3 concept/experiment has only been running at full steam for about 10 years. Its a massive gamble whose outcome remains to be seen.

It would be quite a boon to legacies if/when the ME3 experiment ends. A return to the glory days of national carriers perhaps?


I dont get this anti ME 3 thing.

1. Except Emirates the other 2 are not doing as well
2. Emirates does well because it offers excellent connections at reasonable prices. If that werent the case, QF would not have shifted it mid point hub to DXB from SIN.
3. Emirates has a captive catchment area in South Asia . At last count they had over 25 widebodies daily to econominc growth centers in India and pakistan.
4. Emirates also offer convenient connections from Oceania to Europe

This experiment is successful. Whether you like it or not.

Subu
 
emiratesdriver
Topic Author
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 am

Thomas Cook, your comments ARE irrelevant simply because YOU don't work for Jet Blue, therefore utterly different. Like I said, there's no agenda, hysteria or otherwise...merely relating facts as they are related to me. Get over the fact that you don't have a clue about what you think you know.
 
HB-IWC
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2000 1:09 am

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am

There is certainly a lot of misinformation and bias here, so here are the facts:

The following were all sectors flown by the Emirates A380 fleet for the week from Wednesday, March 8 until yesterday Tuesday, March 14. All flights are daily with the exception of two that are less than daily for bilateral restrictions, with the weekly frequency indicated in brackets:

001/002 LHR
003/004 LHR
005/006 LHR
007/008 LHR
009/010 LGW
011/012 LGW
015/016 LGW
017/018 MAN
019/020 MAN
021/022 MAN
029/030 LHR
031/032 LHR
037/038 BHX
045/046 FRA
047/048 FRA
049/050 MUC
051/052 MUC
053/054 MUC
055/056 DUS
057/058 DUS
071/072 CDG (6 weekly)
073/074 CDG
075/076 CDG
085/086 ZRH
087/088 ZRH
091/092 MXP
095/096 FCO
097/098 FCO
127/128 VIE
131/132 DME
139/140 PRG
141/142 MAD
147/148 AMS
149/150 AMS
151/152 CPH
185/186 BCN

201/202 JFK
203/204 JFK
205/206 MXP JFK
207/208 JFK
215/216 LAX
225/226 SFO
231/232 IAD
241/242 YYZ (3 weekly)

302/303 PVG
308/309 PEK
322/323 ICN
342/343 KUL
346/347 KUL
354/355 SIN
362/363 CAN
366/367 TPE
370/371 BKK
372/373 BKK
374/375 BKK
376/377 BKK
380/381 HKG
382/383 HKG
384/385 BKK HKG

404/405 SIN MEL
406/407 MEL AKL
412/413 SYD CHC
414/415 SYD
418/419 BKK SYD AKL
420/421 PER
434/435 BNE AKL
448/449 AKL

500/501 BOM

701/702 MRU
703/704 MRU
761/762 JNB

841/842 DOH
857/858 KWI

Total number of sectors flown was 142
Current A380 fleet stands at 93 aircraft
Average daily utilization comes just under 13 hours and 30 minutes
Average sector length is just over 8 hours and 20 minutes

Utilization rates and sector lengths are calculated based on published block times.

These numbers look fairly normal for the traditionally low season of early March and will likely increase a bit, at least on the average daily utilization side, with the introduction of the S17 schedule.

Airlines can sometimes squeeze utilization in the vicinity of 15 hours or even a bit above out of widebody aircraft, but that is virtually impossible for an airline such as Emirates because its schedule contains so many medium haul DXB to Europe sectors with block times around 7 hours.

I would definitely not say that based on these numbers one can reasonably conclude that the A380 fleet is underused and an in depth look at the way the Emirates schedule is structured would learn that because of the asymmetric spread of the A380 fleet over the different banks, it is quite normal to see aircraft sitting idle at some times of the day. Also note that five parked A380 out of a fleet of 93 in front of a maintenance facility is not extraordinary.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4143
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: EK theres no hiding parked aeroplanes now

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 am

HB-IWC wrote:
There is certainly a lot of misinformation and bias here, so here are the facts:

The following were all sectors flown by the Emirates A380 fleet for the week from Wednesday, March 8 until yesterday Tuesday, March 14. All flights are daily with the exception of two that are less than daily for bilateral restrictions, with the weekly frequency indicated in brackets:

[...]

Total number of sectors flown was 142
Current A380 fleet stands at 93 aircraft
Average daily utilization comes just under 13 hours and 30 minutes
Average sector length is just over 8 hours and 20 minutes

Utilization rates and sector lengths are calculated based on published block times.

These numbers look fairly normal for the traditionally low season of early March and will likely increase a bit, at least on the average daily utilization side, with the introduction of the S17 schedule.

Airlines can sometimes squeeze utilization in the vicinity of 15 hours or even a bit above out of widebody aircraft, but that is virtually impossible for an airline such as Emirates because its schedule contains so many medium haul DXB to Europe sectors with block times around 7 hours.

I would definitely not say that based on these numbers one can reasonably conclude that the A380 fleet is underused and an in depth look at the way the Emirates schedule is structured would learn that because of the asymmetric spread of the A380 fleet over the different banks, it is quite normal to see aircraft sitting idle at some times of the day. Also note that five parked A380 out of a fleet of 93 in front of a maintenance facility is not extraordinary.

Great, thank you for your contribution.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos