razorblade705
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Max winds recorded?

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Came across this today :
CYYT 112029Z 23050G//KT 2SM -SN DRSN SQ OVC020 M05/M10 A2888 RMK SC8 CIG ESTD POWER FAILER WND ESTD SLP789
CYYT 112000Z 23049G//KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M05/M09 RMK SC6 CIG ESTD POWER OUT WND ESTD
CYYT 111907Z 26049G85KT 5SM -SN DRSN SQ OVC005 M05/M10 A2871 RMK SC8 PRESRR SLP730
CYYT 111900Z 26058G85KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M05/M10 A2869 RMK SC6 CIG ESTD PRESRR SLP724
CYYT 111800Z 24054G85KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M04/M10 A2850 RMK SC5 CIG ESTD PRESRR SLP660


But no hurricane, and no winter storm.
What are the strongest recorded winds at an airport (When it wasn't a tornado?)
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:11 pm

I've got a screenshot of a speci from YYT today, gusting 85kts. 1907Z speci.
 
derian
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Sitting here in YYT today and it is chaotic- lived here my entire life and I've never witnessed winds like this. Absolutely astounding. Streetlights are off poles across the city, signs are knocked down- it's going to be one hell of a cleanup. Even the 2017 Brier (curling competition) going on here had to be delayed due to a power outage.
 
MrBuzzcut
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 am

The AWOS at AWK was recording 134kts gusting to 165kts when Typhoon Ioke hit in 2006. Nobody's sure if it got worse than that because that's when it quit reporting after the storm took out all of the comms (and the AWOS as well). Hey, you said not a tornado, nothing about a typhoon :D
Last edited by MrBuzzcut on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
AC_B777
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 5:15 am

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:37 am

I work at YYT, and I can never remember winds ever being this bad. Winds were worse than any hurricane that I can remember in recent history. According to reports, these were the worst wind conditions experienced in 40 years.
There were panels blowing off the terminal building and we even heard that some debris hit and damaged a WS 737 that was parked at a remote stand. Apparently, two bridges have structural damage and there were multiple complete power outages at the airport including the terminal.
Absolutely wild conditions here today. Will be a messy clean up for sure!
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3470
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:31 am

razorblade705 wrote:
Came across this today :
CYYT 112029Z 23050G//KT 2SM -SN DRSN SQ OVC020 M05/M10 A2888 RMK SC8 CIG ESTD POWER FAILER WND ESTD SLP789
CYYT 112000Z 23049G//KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M05/M09 RMK SC6 CIG ESTD POWER OUT WND ESTD
CYYT 111907Z 26049G85KT 5SM -SN DRSN SQ OVC005 M05/M10 A2871 RMK SC8 PRESRR SLP730
CYYT 111900Z 26058G85KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M05/M10 A2869 RMK SC6 CIG ESTD PRESRR SLP724
CYYT 111800Z 24054G85KT 15SM SQ BKN020 M04/M10 A2850 RMK SC5 CIG ESTD PRESRR SLP660


But no hurricane, and no winter storm.
What are the strongest recorded winds at an airport (When it wasn't a tornado?)

Just check KOKC pretty much any day. It's always freaking windy. This past week the winds were 34 gusting to 46, and that's not relatively uncommon. There have been at least three airport advisories issued by the NWS for gusts exceeding 40kt since January.

I have no doubt that those winds are unusual for CYYT, but if we're talking about max recorded winds, that wouldn't hold a candle to some places. Apparently the highest recorded wind event not associated with a hurricane last year was in KTLH at 80kt, although apparently the highest gust ever recorded was 220kt on Barrow Island, Australia by an automated station during a tropical storm in 1996. Since that's just about faster than the theoretical top speed of a Bugatti Veyron, I'm thinking that I want no part of that!
 
Max Q
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:01 am

I had a 702 Knot groundspeed one night over the Atlantic in a 757.

Works out to to about a 230 knot tailwind !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8414
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 am

atcsundevil wrote:
[ although apparently the highest gust ever recorded was 220kt on Barrow Island, Australia by an automated station during a tropical storm in 1996. Since that's just about faster than the theoretical top speed of a Bugatti Veyron, I'm thinking that I want no part of that!


I wouldn't refer to that as a tropical storm but the wind gust was recorded as a result of Cyclone Olivia in April 96. Barrow Island sits right in the middle of what us locals refer to Cyclone Alley. IIRC it was one of the worst cyclones we has seen in Western Australia
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3470
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 am

qf789 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
[ although apparently the highest gust ever recorded was 220kt on Barrow Island, Australia by an automated station during a tropical storm in 1996. Since that's just about faster than the theoretical top speed of a Bugatti Veyron, I'm thinking that I want no part of that!


I wouldn't refer to that as a tropical storm but the wind gust was recorded as a result of Cyclone Olivia in April 96. Barrow Island sits right in the middle of what us locals refer to Cyclone Alley. IIRC it was one of the worst cyclones we has seen in Western Australia

My mistake -- I read "Tropical Cyclone" and my brain wrote "Tropical Storm". I had to write a 30 page paper on tropical cyclones in an aviation weather class in college, so you'd think I would know better! I guess I'm starting to show just how far removed I am from college these days :old:
 
razorblade705
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: Max winds recorded?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
qf789 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
[ although apparently the highest gust ever recorded was 220kt on Barrow Island, Australia by an automated station during a tropical storm in 1996. Since that's just about faster than the theoretical top speed of a Bugatti Veyron, I'm thinking that I want no part of that!


I wouldn't refer to that as a tropical storm but the wind gust was recorded as a result of Cyclone Olivia in April 96. Barrow Island sits right in the middle of what us locals refer to Cyclone Alley. IIRC it was one of the worst cyclones we has seen in Western Australia

My mistake -- I read "Tropical Cyclone" and my brain wrote "Tropical Storm". I had to write a 30 page paper on tropical cyclones in an aviation weather class in college, so you'd think I would know better! I guess I'm starting to show just how far removed I am from college these days :old:


Studying does that to people. I know how you feel!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos