BreezyIAH
Topic Author

Why is JAX so underserved?

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

As one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US, as well as the largest in FL, why is JAX so underserved? It has no secondary airports to deviate from the flow of traffic yet can barely get mainline outside of CLT, ATL, and DFW.

Cubsrule

Re: Why is JAX so underserved?

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Jacksonville is not one of the largest MSAs in the US. It's around 40th, smaller than Norfolk-Virginia Beach but larger than Memphis and Louisville. With that perspective, do you still think it's underserved?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:15 pm

BreezyIAH wrote:
As one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US

Huh? City is 850,000, metro is 1,400,000.... that is not "one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US" by any stretch of the imagination.

Heck, the argument could easily be made that it should be grateful for what it gets:
It's not a significant business center, and sits in relatively close proximity to far more popular leisure gateways as well.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

uconn99

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Miami, Tampa, and Orlando are larger in Florida alone.

ualcsr

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm

BreezyIAH wrote:
as well as the largest in FL

Jax is not the largest metropolitan area (in population) in Florida, it's behind, and pretty way behind, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa-St. Pete and Orlando. Jacksonville is the largest metropolitan area in Florida in area/size but a lot of the area is not populated. That being said, I think Jax might be able to support a one off Norweigian route, maybe three days a week. Otherwise, I think the market is just right as it is.

afcjets

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 am

Either Jacksonville or Oklahoma City is the the largest city in the US land wise, or was at one time. I think it is Jacksonville but OKC can make a similar claim I believe.

SLCUT2777

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Jacksonville is not one of the largest MSAs in the US. It's around 40th, smaller than Norfolk-Virginia Beach but larger than Memphis and Louisville. With that perspective, do you still think it's underserved?

JAX is VERY lucky they have a dedicated NFL owner that has kept the Jag's in town. It is the smallest NFL market. As far as air service MIA, MCO, FLL & TPA are all significantly larger for obvious reasons.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

jetskipper

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:56 am

SLCUT2777 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

JAX is VERY lucky they have a dedicated NFL owner that has kept the Jag's in town. It is the smallest NFL market. As far as air service MIA, MCO, FLL & TPA are all significantly larger for obvious reasons.

Green Bay is the smallest NFL market, but an obvious anomaly with a history.

ATLFlyer323

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 am

Delta controls a lot of traffic flow in JAX. ATL is a barely an hour flight away and offers 1 stops to just about everywhere anyone leaving from JAX would want to go. When I lived in JAX I would often take a 757 or even sometimes a 767 up to ATL from JAX and the flights were usually full. DL also had a club at the airport, showing how important the city is to DL I think.
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

drdisque

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 am

Yeah, DL prevents a lot of entry into JAX with their hourly big plane shuttle service to ATL. It makes flying any other airline that requires a connection much riskier.

It also helps that ATL is so close and has rolling banks which makes the hourly service work. The only other hub in the US that is still rolling banks is DFW, which is much further away.

Wednesdayite

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 am

Buffalo is smaller too.

Everybody seems to ignore the Bills.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

LAX772LR

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 am

drdisque wrote:
The only other hub in the US that is still rolling banks is DFW

:shakehead: DFW got re-banked more than two years ago.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airl ... his-spring
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BreezyIAH
Topic Author

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 am

I guess it's just city population i was comparing but still..there's cities with less of a population that receive more. Just an observation and curiosity.

BreezyIAH
Topic Author

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 am

I'm new to posting btw..

11725Flyer

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 am

Not very many companies have their corporate offices in Jacksonville. Those that do don't generate much traffic that would demand more flights.

bfitzflyer

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:39 am

In looking at wikipedia almost nothing outside of the main hubs for the big carriers. Allegiant has a few routes. I think geography, size of metro and lack of large corporate headquarters hurt Jacksonville in regards to flights.

TVNWZ

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:46 am

jetskipper wrote:

You have to figure Milwaukee market when comparing Packer's market.

33lspotter

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 am

BreezyIAH wrote:
I guess it's just city population i was comparing but still..there's cities with less of a population that receive more. Just an observation and curiosity.

Certainly true that there are a number of places with less people than JAX yet have more mainline service...but IMO that usually is due to other factors. Despite being the largest city in Florida, JAX doesn't have the type of business community that would be conducive to extensive mainline operations, as other posters have said, and there are other places in FL (MIA, MCO, FLL, TPA, and even RSW) that tourists might prefer to visit when they make their way to the Sunshine State. As such, the distribution of (tourist) wealth is rather skewed towards those areas.

BreezyIAH wrote:
I'm new to posting btw..

Welcome! We (or at least most of us) don't bite.
Last edited by 33lspotter on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

2travel2know2

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 am

As demographics change, interesting to notice why Florida markets like JAX, RSW and PBI don't have any flights to Latin American hubs (first choice might be PTY) and/or KIN/MBJ, PAP.
But seems once upon a time JAX had CUN, maybe SJU too?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

fraspotter

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:26 am

jetskipper wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Green Bay and Pittsburgh are the two smallest NFL markets. TV/media markets are a different story though.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

MaksFly

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:32 am

Jax is a large city in Florida but keep in mind to some degree it is also competing with Savannah to the north and St Augustine/Daytona Beach to the south.

There is a good amount of military traffic in Jacksonville but the city as a whole is growing to attract more new residents and new businesses. It is also doing fairly well attracting conferences.

SLCUT2777

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:22 am

jetskipper wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

You must count Milwaukee with this one. Green Bay is in fact Wisconsin's team. Similarly Buffalo has Toronto to draw upon. Keeping on topic how much spillage to MCO does JAX experience?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

MAH4546

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:41 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
As demographics change, interesting to notice why Florida markets like JAX, RSW and PBI don't have any flights to Latin American hubs (first choice might be PTY) and/or KIN/MBJ, PAP.
But seems once upon a time JAX had CUN, maybe SJU too?

Why is it interesting to note? The market doesn't exist. B6 tried SJU from JAX and PBI and neither worked. Maybe PBI gets PAP one day. That's it.
a.

edmountain

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 am

SLCUT2777 wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:

You must count Milwaukee with this one. Green Bay is in fact Wisconsin's team. Similarly Buffalo has Toronto to draw upon. Keeping on topic how much spillage to MCO does JAX experience?

The disaster that was the "Bills Toronto Series" put paid to the myth that anyone in Toronto actually cares about the Bills. Toronto likes the NFL but not because of the Bills.

b6sea

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:32 am

I think JAX probably sees slightly more service than a metro area of its size otherwise would. Compared to OKC or SDF, you see quite a lot of service to JAX, I think that's because there is quite a bit of tourist traffic to Amelia Island, Jacksonville Beach, and St. Augustine as well as military traffic.

I wouldn't expect JAX to be able to compete in the same league as MIA, FLL, MCO, or TPA based on size alone, and there isn't exactly a whole lot of wealth kicking around Jacksonville either, which really makes it a tough sell for airlines. Jacksonville has a few corporate hqs and the military to keep it busy and I think for a metro area of its size it's doing quite well.

ualcsr

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 am

33lspotter wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:
Despite being the largest city in Florida,
BreezyIAH wrote:
I'm new to posting btw..

Again, Jax is NOT the largest city in Florida. It is the largest city in area/size, but that's only because a lot of Duval County, where Jacksonville is located, is vacant land. Vacant land does not make for airline passengers.

BreezyIAH - Welcome to A.net!!! Keep posting!!!

BobPatterson

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 pm

BreezyIAH wrote:
As one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US, as well as the largest in FL, why is JAX so underserved? It has no secondary airports to deviate from the flow of traffic yet can barely get mainline outside of CLT, ATL, and DFW.

I just checked JAX on FlightRadar24. This weekend it it was serviced by 10 airlines to 20 airports in 17 cities, including a number of hub airports east of the Mississippi plus Dallas and Houston.

I don't know if weekdays add much to those totals, but this sounds like pretty good availability of air service to me.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

klm617

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 pm

BreezyIAH wrote:

Because Delta want's it that way now that all these airlines have become so big and powerful they can do pretty much whatever they want no matter how inconvenient it is for the customer. There are easily other cities that could be served from JAX but they don't want any flow moving away from their ATL hub.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

BobPatterson

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 pm

klm617 wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:

Because Delta want's it that way now that all these airlines have become so big and powerful they can do pretty much whatever they want no matter how inconvenient it is for the customer. There are easily other cities that could be served from JAX but they don't want any flow moving away from their ATL hub.

All the majors have at least some service to/from JAX.

While Delta mainline flies only to ATL (this weekend), Delta Connection also flies to DTW, MSP, JFK and LGA.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Blimpie

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:02 pm

I've only flown in to JAX once, and the airport reminded me of BWI at that time. Granted the last time I was there was in 2002 to watch a shuttle launch and I had a buddy living in Ocala, but I really liked the airport.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

Cubsrule

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:

I believe JAX has year-round service to 21 cities and seasonal service to 3 or 4 more. Which cities do you contend are missing? DL has pulled a tremendous amount of capacity out of JAX in the past decade.

klm617

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
klm617 wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:

While Delta mainline flies only to ATL (this weekend), Delta Connection also flies to DTW, MSP, JFK and LGA.

Yes but when you have RJs on a route verses mainline which flight are you going to take myself I always chose main line given the option. DTW-JAX warrants mainline but Delta doesn't want that traffic flow moved away from ATL so they make a connection in ATL much more appealing than over the other hubs.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

xdlx

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:33 pm

MAIN REASON is DELTA..... AND ATL OPTIONS. SJU did work for B6 however they tagged it to a JAX-BOS rotation and times where not the best. A LAX nonstop could be sustained, International service to Europe not so much with MCO/ATL/MIA offerings very competitive pricing. The potential for direct service to the Bahamas or Caribbean / Mexico IMHO is the best opportunity for growth out of this market.

33lspotter

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:37 pm

ualcsr wrote:
Again, Jax is NOT the largest city in Florida.

Incorrect. Certainly, the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area has a significantly larger population (5.9 million vs. 1.4 million), and I do not disagree with you that that makes for a significantly smaller catchment area, but to the original point, technically the city of Jacksonville itself is the largest in Florida (at around 800,000).

xdlx

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:47 pm

This is the name issue with claiming to be the largest...... The city of Jacksonville has the distinction of having the largest AREA of any Incorporated city in the state or the nation for that matter. Population density Not so much! ALL major FL cities i.e.: TPA/MIA/ORL are denser but not LARGER.

Cubsrule

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:57 pm

klm617 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Yes but when you have RJs on a route verses mainline which flight are you going to take myself I always chose main line given the option. DTW-JAX warrants mainline but Delta doesn't want that traffic flow moved away from ATL so they make a connection in ATL much more appealing than over the other hubs.

What are the FACTS on which you base your assertion that DTWJAX warrants mainline? The truth is that upper midwest-JAX has always struggled. There was a period a decade ago or so when JAX had 100 daily seats to Chicago, and hopefully we can agree that Chicago is a larger market with multiple stronger hubs than Detroit.

HPRamper

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:58 pm

I think city limit population is what's driving the reference here, not land area. The population within city limits of Jacksonville is indeed the largest of any city in Florida - I believe Orlando is second.

nadavatar64

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 pm

ATL offers most of the connections the market needs, both international and domestic wise. I think LAX/SFO have a chance to be successful though,and maybe also a seasonal CUN.

Keith2004

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:57 pm

HPRamper wrote:
I think city limit population is what's driving the reference here, not land area. The population within city limits of Jacksonville is indeed the largest of any city in Florida - I believe Orlando is second.

And this is almost completely irrelevant in terms on air service and what an AREA not city should warrant.

An airline serves a metropolitan area as a single market. JAX having a bigger population than the city of Miami means nothing since the city of Miami is part of a metro area 5 times the size of JAX

flymco753

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
klm617 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

What are the FACTS on which you base your assertion that DTWJAX warrants mainline? The truth is that upper midwest-JAX has always struggled. There was a period a decade ago or so when JAX had 100 daily seats to Chicago, and hopefully we can agree that Chicago is a larger market with multiple stronger hubs than Detroit.
Should be at least an A319, non peak is still around 150 local pax. The reason for the CG7 is to protect ATL connections to JAX.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

twincessna340a

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:18 pm

IMHO JAX is far from underserved: http://www.flyjacksonville.com/content2015.aspx?id=7

MaksFly wrote:
Jax is a large city in Florida but keep in mind to some degree it is also competing with Savannah to the north

You have that backwards. People in SAV drive to JAX for the generally cheaper fares / to fly Southwest (or at least that was the case before Allegiant, JetBlue, and Sun Country showed up in SAV; not sure how much things have changed though) and the better Caribbean/LatAm connection choices (SAV has no FL destinations).

The only market that is absent from JAX as others have mentioned is the West Coast. I can see either (one of) LAX, SFO, or SEA on AS/VX. IMHO that would rely on connections to secondary Western US markets and TPAC JV's. I just don't see the O/D strong enough to compete with the options on DL via ATL, AA via DFW, and WN via DAL [Sat/Sun but could grow] which as others have mentioned is probably why these flights don't exist. It would be interesting to see the PDEW JAX-West Coast though.
Last edited by twincessna340a on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalmd88

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:29 pm

SLCUT2777 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Buffalo is also smaller by about 200,000.

afcjets

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 pm

ATLFlyer323 wrote:
Delta controls a lot of traffic flow in JAX. ATL is a barely an hour flight away and offers 1 stops to just about everywhere anyone leaving from JAX would want to go. When I lived in JAX I would often take a 757 or even sometimes a 767 up to ATL from JAX and the flights were usually full. DL also had a club at the airport, showing how important the city is to DL I think.

CLT is also less than an hour flight away from ATL and offers 1 stops to just about everywhere anyone leaving CLT would want to go ;)

In the mid to late 90s the majority of JAX-ATL flights on DL were widebody. I flew on a completely full L10 in June of 1998.

HPRamper wrote:
I think city limit population is what's driving the reference here, not land area.

I only mentioned JAX having the largest land area of any city in the US to be a fun fact.

nadavatar64 wrote:
ATL offers most of the connections the market needs, both international and domestic wise. I think LAX/SFO have a chance to be successful though,and maybe also a seasonal CUN.

DL launched JAX-LAX nonstop just over 10 years ago with one daily 737-800. It lasted for several years IIRC.

Dominion301

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
Buffalo is smaller too.

Everybody seems to ignore the Bills.

If you count the Canadian side of the Buffalo-Niagara Region, then Buffalo's metro population is close to 2 million...3 million if you factor in Rochester. The Sabres are the only US NHL team to sing O Canada during an NHL game where the Sabres opponent is another US team as 10% of Sabres season ticket holders live on the Canadian side of the falls. I imagine it's similar for the Bills.

Now how that relates to JAX pax traffic, just look at how much transborder traffic JAX receives compared to other Florida airports, including little SRQ.

Flighty

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:20 pm

ualcsr wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:
Despite being the largest city in Florida,

Again, Jax is NOT the largest city in Florida. It is the largest city in area/size, but that's only because a lot of Duval County, where Jacksonville is located, is vacant land. Vacant land does not make for airline passengers.

BreezyIAH - Welcome to A.net!!! Keep posting!!!

Interesting post, but you're wrong.

I remember in fifth grade this was a question: what is the largest city in Florida? Whether by land area or by population, there is only one correct answer: Jacksonville. My teacher did not believe me and I am still a little bit upset that I lost points on that 25 years later.

axiom

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Technically, Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida by population and land area. But that's because the city and county are consolidated, as has been noted above. In this case, it really demonstrates how population figures are lousy metrics for understanding the size and scope of regional economies. There's really no question -- Jacksonville is a distant fourth in the pecking order of Florida's city regions.

afcjets

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Flighty wrote:
I remember in fifth grade this was a question: what is the largest city in Florida? Whether by land area or by population, there is only one correct answer: Jacksonville. My teacher did not believe me and I am still a little bit upset that I lost points on that 25 years later.

She probably also wouldn't believe San Francisco is only the 4th largest city in CA.

xdlx

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Remember Encachment Area is probably more relevant than Population size.

As stated above this area is from East TLH to NE of GNV to N of DAB, & South of SAV people drive to JAX for convenience or price or the combination thereof,
at one point I remember DL estimating the largest % of Medallion members utilized JAX overall from all FL cities. Assuming that is a verifiable metric, no wonder Delta protects Florida like the Golden Egg.... DL is a distant competitor in the So. FL market, to AA. So their strategy to "pluck from ATL" continues, in the 1980's it was L10/767, now in the 2020's is 739/A321.....
Last edited by xdlx on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm

afcjets wrote:
ATLFlyer323 wrote:

CLT is also less than an hour flight away from ATL and offers 1 stops to just about everywhere anyone leaving CLT would want to go ;)

In the mid to late 90s the majority of JAX-ATL flights on DL were widebody. I flew on a completely full L10 in June of 1998.

HPRamper wrote:
I think city limit population is what's driving the reference here, not land area.

I only mentioned JAX having the largest land area of any city in the US to be a fun fact.

nadavatar64 wrote:

DL launched JAX-LAX nonstop just over 10 years ago with one daily 737-800. It lasted for several years IIRC.

Delta's LAXJAX did not even last a full year. It almost did - Dec 17 06 to Dec 01 07.
a.

mcogator

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 pm

xdlx wrote:
This is the name issue with claiming to be the largest...... The city of Jacksonville has the distinction of having the largest AREA of any Incorporated city in the state or the nation for that matter. Population density Not so much! ALL major FL cities i.e.: TPA/MIA/ORL are denser but not LARGER.

Largest by area in the continental USA. It is 5th overall, as there are 4 cities in Alaska bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_area
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos