ikramerica
Topic Author

LAX traffic reduction measures working?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:55 am

According the LAX, they instituted a new traffic pattern beginning late January. Hotel shuttles downstairs only, parking shuttles upstairs only.

Has this made any noticeable impact?

I know as a departing parking customer I know it would be frustrating to have to go by TBIT/4 no matter what even if you were the only one to board at the garage.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Newbiepilot

Re: LAX traffic reduction measures working?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:50 am

I think the roads are still a mess at LAX. Personally if I am flying out of T7, it seems faster to get off the rental car shuttle at T1 and walk across the parking garage.

LAXintl

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 am

Things are still in flux as there seemingly is endless construction or partial closures somewhere on near daily basis.

Also remember this is a slow period of the year to passenger volumes are down anyhow, so lets wait till summer to see. I know the landside management folks are toying with additional measures which are likely to be needed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

spudsmac

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:16 am

LAWA really needs to set up an off-site drop/off pickup area. Too many people don't know they can park in the parking garages free for 15 minutes and instead circle around endlessly.

Along with that, ban un-permitted vehicles from the terminal loop area. Only Uber/Lyft, Taxis, buses, shuttles, and limos allowed in the loop. This would cut down on the clueless drivers stopping in the employee bus stop areas and blocking traffic. Master plan I think includes a tram system, which hopefully goes to off-site parking. Maybe all this is already in the works with the consolidated rental car center, I'm not sure.

What a mess. Airside isn't any better either. If there's a bad earthquake in the LA area, I'm rooting for it damaging each terminal beyond repair so they have to start over.

B747forever

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 am

spudsmac wrote:
What a mess. Airside isn't any better either. If there's a bad earthquake in the LA area, I'm rooting for it damaging each terminal beyond repair so they have to start over.

Really, what is wrong with the new TBIT?
Work Hard, Fly Right

aklrno

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 am

spudsmac wrote:
Master plan I think includes a tram system, which hopefully goes to off-site parking. Maybe all this is already in the works with the consolidated rental car center, I'm not sure.

Yes it is, but still about 4-5 years away. I think they have just approved the environmental impact reports but I don't think they have put anything out to bid yet.

phllax

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 am

I was at LAX last Thirsday afternoon at 3pm picking up at United. I told them to go upstairs as the lower loop was bad. Well, the upper loop was just as bad due to all the construction. Basically every day is like the day before Thanksgiving between all the construction at the terminals and the Great Terminal Move. If you can use Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach or SNA do so!

phllax

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 am

I was at LAX last Thursday afternoon at 3pm picking up at United. I told them to go upstairs as the lower loop was bad. Well, the upper loop was just as bad due to all the construction. Basically every day is like the day before Thanksgiving between all the construction at the terminals and the Great Terminal Move. If you can use Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach or SNA do so!

aaway

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 am

In response to the OP...no, the measures are not working. Factor #1 - continued growth. LAX recorded 6% pax traffic growth in January YoY. Ancillary issue - the segregation of the shuttles, while reducing trips, increased dwell times at the curbs for loading and offloading.

The next mitigation measure is slated to begin, I believe, in May, when LAWA moves the employee shuttle stops from World Way to Center Way.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 am

phllax wrote:
If you can use Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach or SNA do so!

Unless one of the above was the airport that you needed in the first place..... why bother?

Otherwise, what is the utility in driving up to an hour or more and/or making a connection of an hour or more (in many cases), just to avoid an extra 15-20min of traffic at LAX?

Seems counterproductive.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

spudsmac

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

B747forever wrote:
spudsmac wrote:

Really, what is wrong with the new TBIT?

Well I guess not much. Except for the constrained taxiway behind it that terminal is okay. The rest however need to go. Los Angeles is supposed to be a world class airport but is one of the worst in the entire country, eclipsed only by Laguardia.

traindoc

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 pm

The FAA delay info for LAX, frequently is frequently listed as Metroplex. By this do they mean flights are delayed because pax are delayed getting to the airport?

Chemist

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 am

I've known LAX well since the 70's and have seen it grow into the mess that it is today.

Having a passenger to pick up or drop off requires some major defensive driving and strategic planning. I recently dropped my daughter for a flight at American (T4) coming from Sepulveda southbound, the connector to World Way was jammed up onto Sepulveda with traffic in the right lane stopped/slow all the way back to In-N-Out. I passed the connector, got on Century East, and then made the first available U-Turn back onto Century West, which was better than the Sepulveda connector. Staying in the left lanes, I got into the airport. I used the cross connector over to T5, avoiding the full loop around by TBIT. I dropped my daughter at T5 and told her to walk to the right to get to T4. That is what it takes. And BTW this was on the lower level for a departure due to more lanes!

When I have to fly to/from LAX I generally park at ParkNFly (used to use WallyPark). I walk to the terminal, even if it is T4. If it is T1 or T2 it is a fairly short walk from the parking lot and way easier than taking a parking shuttle. Wheeled luggage is a must.

LAXintl

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 am

traindoc wrote:
The FAA delay info for LAX, frequently is frequently listed as Metroplex. By this do they mean flights are delayed because pax are delayed getting to the airport?

Metroplex is the FAA national airspace redesign project. They are currently on the Southern California phase. During cutover volumes are being reduced to allow pilots and ATC controllers to adjust to new routings and procedures.

You can learn more about it below:

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/snapshots/m ... ationId=18
http://www.metroplexenvironmental.com/s ... ction.html

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

intotheair

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 am

In my anecdotal experience, at least getting dropped off at LAX in the middle of the day isn't as horrible as it was before. But the traffic is still pretty terrible. I also tried LAX772LR's suggestion from a few threads ago to approach World Way from Century instead of Sepulveda/105, and that seemed to be better.

Last week, I was picking up my boyfriend late at night. His flight was delayed almost two hours and didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. It took me only 20 minutes to get to LAX from north of DTLA, and there was hardly any traffic on the loop. I think from now on, I'm going to seek out very late arrival flights for myself!
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

aklrno

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 am

Recently I have been able to beat a lot of traffic by careful decisions of which level to use at which time. T1 seems to have a lot of departures in the morning. I get dropped off at arrivals with little problem. There are a lot of evening TBIT departures for overnight flights. Again, use the arrivals level at 8-9 PM. It seems to have worked for me.

In any case, if you can see a difference in traffic backups between arrivals and departures, adjust accordingly. Taking an escalator up or down takes only a few seconds. If I'm being picked up I call the person picking me up (who is usually waiting at in-n-out) and advise the best level.

chrisair

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am

Whenever I land at LAX, I always head to T6/7 to catch a shuttle: rental car or hotel. If I'm staying at any of the Century hotels, I typically take whatever shuttle comes first: Thrifty (for the Westin), Parking Spot (for Hilton) and if I'm at one of the close in hotels, I walk. It's faster. I've also taken Uber to a nearby hotel. Sorry to any of you drivers out there who get the 2-3 mile ride.

I don't know how anyone uses LAX as a home base airport. It'd cause me to lose my mind.

travelin man

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I flew in and out of LAX 2 weeks ago on AA (T4) and it wasn't bad at all. I used Uber for the first time to get picked up there too. It was about a 15 minute wait for my driver to get to T4 from wherever he was waiting. Of course this was a Wednesday evening, which is probably the lightest day of the work week.

I would never ask a loved one to pick me up at LAX though. It's to stressful.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos