rj777
Topic Author

Why doesn't LAX have moving walkways, etc?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:45 am

Simply put.... why doesn't LAX have:
-Moving Walkways (like DEN, etc)
-Skytrains (like DFW)
-Underground connectors (like ORD, etc.

When I was at LAX recently.... I had several hours to kill before my flight home.... I would've loved to have gone over to the TBIT to check out some big planes.... but it would've been a heck of a walk from terminal 8.

32andBelow

Re: Why doesn't LAX have moving walkways, etc?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 am

The airport was built a long time ago and has been adapted ever since. I think some of the underground tunnels do have moving walkways or they did at one point

thomasphoto60

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 am

I believe that LAX was one of the first airports in the US to have moving walkways dating to the late 60s early 70s.
"Show me the Braniffs"

aklrno

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 am

rj777 wrote:
Simply put.... why doesn't LAX have:
-Moving Walkways (like DEN, etc)
-Skytrains (like DFW)

When I was at LAX recently.... I had several hours to kill before my flight home.... I would've loved to have gone over to the TBIT to check out some big planes.... but it would've been a heck of a walk from terminal 8.

There really isn't a lot of inter terminal traffic. There are some airside buses for a few common cases. LAX is primarily and O&D airport, not much of a hub. From T8 to TBIT you can use the airside tunnels, and there are electric carts that will give you a ride for parts of the trip.

I can't think it is economically worthwhile to provide moving walkways and/or trains for sightseeing. When I do walk the tunnels there are very few people in them which suggests to me that there isn't much demand, and I usually just use them if I have a lot of time to kill and want to get to a particular restaurant.

What they do need is a train to remote parking and a rental car center, and that is in the works.

The upper walkway outside security is about a 15 minute brisk walk from T8 to TBIT.

rta

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:12 am

rj777 wrote:

Underground connectors?

MakeMinesLAX

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 am

The moving walkways are on the lower level. In their original form (the basic oval), the terminals were true satellites, accessible only from below ground. The walkways terminated below the center of the oval, and after an escalator ride up passengers would disperse radially to the gates. Once the above-ground portions were added (connecting ticketing to the satellite), moving sidewalks would have been feasible only in that section given the structure of the original oval, and the practicality of such (also given the real estate they'd occupy) would be questionable.

chrisair

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:32 am

They've been there since the 60s. You can see them in the intro to The Graduate.

https://youtu.be/gjtoi6Z4lAg?t=48

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am

rta wrote:
Underground connectors?

Tunnels between terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

quiet1

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am

Some historical trivia:

When UA opened it's CIQ facility under Terminal 6 several years ago, the elderly moving sidewalk from the Immigrations area to Customs was inoperative for months and I heard it was because the area had some historical designation (from being in movie/movies?) and they had to find original replacement parts to get it working. i.e. They could not modernize it or put in newer replacement parts due to the historical designation.

afcjets

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Here you can see it much better in 1997 from the opening scene of Jackie Brown starring Pam Grier

https://youtu.be/KvA4VwMA6OY?t=34s

The next video shows an alternate opening sequence which they decided not to use or filmed as a joke

https://youtu.be/yERv9KiXu0k?t=27s

airbazar

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 pm

DEN, DFW, ORD are huge hubs. Lots of people moving from one point to another. LAX is predominantly a huge O&D airport. Most passengers walk from gate to curb and vice versa, and those distances aren't that big.

FSDan

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
rta wrote:
Underground connectors?

Tunnels between terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Aren't the tunnels just between 4, 5, and 6? The walkway from 6 to 7 to 8 is above ground (actually higher than the concourse level). That said, I'm not familiar with the FIS setup in terminals 4 through 7 and whether or not there are tunnels between the terminals as part of that...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

masgniw

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:58 pm

In addition to the plethora of underground connectors mentioned, there are moving walkways that connect T4 to TBIT (and all through TBIT).

The walk from T8 to TBIT isn't even that long. I did it during a long delay a few weeks ago. Maybe 15-20 min max.

ericm2031

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Some of the tunnels in use are not wide enough for moving walkways. There has to be enough room for 2 moving walkways as well as a regular walkway.

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:14 pm

airbazar wrote:
DEN, DFW, ORD are huge hubs. Lots of people moving from one point to another. LAX is predominantly a huge O&D airport.

Perhaps more relevant, DEN was built from scratch in the era of the hub-and-spoke model for domestic U.S. carriers. DEN had been a big hub when DIA plans were being drawn. DFW got retrofitted at huge cost. ORD's retrofit is a little more half-vast, as it's outside of security.

If LAX were built from scratch it would surely look a lot different than it does today in concourses, parking, subway access, runway layouts, proximity of tall buildings...

AirCalSNA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 pm

afcjets wrote:
Here you can see it much better in 1997 from the opening scene of Jackie Brown starring Pam Grier

https://youtu.be/KvA4VwMA6OY?t=34s

The next video shows an alternate opening sequence which they decided not to use or filmed as a joke

https://youtu.be/yERv9KiXu0k?t=27s

I think Don Draper rides one in an episode of Mad Men as well.

NickLAX

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Proper new build puts will.

They are in TBIT departures. Not arrivals as it can be a choke point if CBP has issues

They are in the T4 to TBIT new connector. Expect the same in the T3-TBIT future connector. Even the SFO North to Intl connector doesn't have them.

At some point in the next 10 years it wouldn't be out of the question when all the major projects are done that we see proper connectors planned on the south (either tunnel rebuild or a connector level above the major buildings. A rail system for post security may sound great but the distance can't beat per elevated walkways from a budget point of view. Even Narita T2 ditched the train and did a moving sidewalk walkway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos