Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USAavdork
Topic Author

More new AS Routes!

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Everyone. First of all, this is my first post. Thank You for all the years of fun reading and dedication you have all poured into this site.

Now, into the good stuff. When Alaska Airlines first announced SFO-MSP it raised an eyebrow. The times of the flights didnt "add up." It was obvious the first SFO-MSP wouldn't turn the second MSP-SFO. I thought someone would bring it up on here, but no one did! A former AS friend told me the PDX-MSP might be retuned but I knew there was something more to it.

Now... fast forward to last weeks announcement and we're left with the same problem: SFO-MCI couldn't turn MCI-SFO. (see schedules below). With that, I decided to do my own investigating. After contacting someone with more knowledge , it seems my assumptions were right on. So don't be suprised to see more announcements from Alaska this week :) With that, here is the only clue I can give you:

- MSP, DTW, OMA, MCI and ABQ were mentioned by me. Apparently I'm off by 1!

- One poster on here will really like where these flights are coming from!?

E175 MSP Puzzle:

Dates Plugged In: 9/18- 9/24

SEA-MSP: All mainline

PDX-MSP:
10:05am- 3:26pm

MSP-PDX:
4:20pm- 6:28pm

SFO-MSP:
11:45am- 5:22pm
6:45pm- 12:22am

MSP-SFO:
6:15am- 8:20am
3:20pm- 5:25pm

MCI E175 Puzzle:

SEA-MCI: All Mainline

PDX-MCI:
9:35am- 2:59pm

MCI-PDX:
3:40pm- 5:45pm

SFO-MCI:
9:50am- 3:30pm

MCI-SFO:
2:55pm- 5:05pm

wedgetail737

Re: More new AS Routes!

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:00 am

I think QX will be receiving their E-175's in quite a hurry...sounds like it anyway. AS has got to put those airplanes somewhere...meanwhile employing the Q400's on existing routes.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 am

Ok, so San Diego to ..... :-)
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

FLYKTPA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 am

Did your AS friend mention if more SAN/SFO/PDX- East Coast flights were in the works?
Last edited by FLYKTPA on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

wedgetail737

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Ok, so San Diego to ..... :-)

San Diego to TIJ and Carlsbad. LOL!

PA12

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:11 am

Come on Chester, don't forget ELP!

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am

MSPSAN
SANMSP
MCISAN
SANMCI
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

wedgetail737

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:24 am

I think the next new E-175 city will be in the midwest will either be DSM or CID. And I think the next new mainline will be CLE, CLT or JAX.

ucdtim17

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:42 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think QX will be receiving their E-175's in quite a hurry...sounds like it anyway. AS has got to put those airplanes somewhere...meanwhile employing the Q400's on existing routes.

So much for "E175s are more economical than Q400s on routes over 400 miles," as was announced with the order :roll:

400+ mile Q400 routes are staying Q400

joeljack

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 am

Hopefully OMA-SAN, that would make me super happy!!! I think there is a much larger market for this than OMA-PDX which is not performing too well. Although the PDX-OMA flight time is terrible, way too late, they need to move it up by 3 hours if Alaska wants it to work long term.

Midwestindy

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:06 am

I would love to see IND-PDX but I might have to wait, the markets better than some of the other routes proposed, the only problem is range.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

flymco753

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 am

Some could hope AS announces something from DTW but unfortunately it's HIGHLY unlikely.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

ASFlyer

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:43 am

joeljack wrote:
Hopefully OMA-SAN, that would make me super happy!!! I think there is a much larger market for this than OMA-PDX which is not performing too well. Although the PDX-OMA flight time is terrible, way too late, they need to move it up by 3 hours if Alaska wants it to work long term.

I haven't been keeping track of these loads over time but in looking just at the next week the OMA-PDX loads look pretty good to me. Not sure what you're basing your information off of.

ASFlyer

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:44 am

flymco753 wrote:
Some could hope AS announces something from DTW but unfortunately it's HIGHLY unlikely.

I don't know if it's going to happen right away but I think you can count on some more routes from DTW. I'm guessing sooner rather than later.

joeljack

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 am

ASFlyer wrote:
joeljack wrote:

I haven't been keeping track of these loads over time but in looking just at the next week the OMA-PDX loads look pretty good to me. Not sure what you're basing your information off of.

Been watching flights since the route started. Per omaha airport website, 53 percent LF in January and the flights were dirt cheap. Routinely only $100 each way or just slightly more.

Yes, pretty full right now, spring break.

Adipocere

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 am

With AA and WN expected to slowly give up on PHX, this does open up more options for AS in the future to grab an even bigger slice of the West coast.

kon

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 am

AS is currently a very interesting airline to watch as of late. If they are planning more route announcements, I really hope they keep PDX in mind. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a PDX-DTW.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 am

Adipocere wrote:
With AA and WN expected to slowly give up on PHX, this does open up more options for AS in the future to grab an even bigger slice of the West coast.

Didn't WN just announce some big project at PHX? New facilities for maintenance and 8 gate concourse.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/34709113/ ... in-phoenix
Last edited by Jshank83 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

wedgetail737

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:02 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

So much for "E175s are more economical than Q400s on routes over 400 miles," as was announced with the order :roll:

I'm sure some of the longer-haul Q400 routes will turn to E-175s like PDX-OAK and maybe SEA-RNO.

airliner371

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 am

Adipocere wrote:

WN is not giving up on PHX at all. They just announced a maintenance expansion and a new concourse.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/a ... /98920440/

chrisair

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 am

All this E175 expansion has got to be driving the mainline AS pilots absolutely bonkers.

Adipocere wrote:
With AA and WN expected to slowly give up on PHX

Who said either of these airlines are giving up on Phoenix?

RWA380

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:16 am

ucdtim17 wrote:

Not true, most all longer stage regional flying will be E-175's once QX has their 30+ from AAG & OO is flying an additional 30 or so on behalf of AAG under the Alaska banner.

joeljack wrote:

OMA-PDX is doing better than fine. The OMA market is growing & AS offers great opportunities for Nebraska flyers.

Midwestindy wrote:
I would love to see IND-PDX but I might have to wait, the markets better than some of the other routes proposed, the only problem is range.

I don't think you'll have to wait a super long time, just call it an educated hunch.

flymco753 wrote:

AS sees DTW as the DL stronghold that is it. They will offer a token presence as is needed. The subject of the In-perimeter slots AAG has at DCA & LGA, could be easily be used for a SEA-DTW-LGA/DCA or PDX-MSP-DCA/LGA routings. A targeted jab to DL.

kon wrote:
AS is currently a very interesting airline to watch as of late. If they are planning more route announcements, I really hope they keep PDX in mind. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a PDX-DTW

PDX is the second largest hub in the AAG system, it will likely be superseded in the future by SFO or LAX. But PDX gives much to AAG & as plugged in as we are here, how top drawer our restaurants & night life scene is. We are loyal customers & we have been rewarded with lots of non-stop destinations & a hometown carrier that is the best domestic carrier.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

FLYKTPA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 am

I would love to see SAN/SFO/PDX-TPA on AS.
I know PDX-MCO hasn't started yet so PDX-TPA might be a few years down the line.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

flymco753

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I don't know if it's going to happen right away but I think you can count on some more routes from DTW. I'm guessing sooner rather than later.
You're right, I can see an announcement in early 2018 for Summer 2018 service, more than likely to PDX.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flymco753

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:08 pm

kon wrote:
AS is currently a very interesting airline to watch as of late. If they are planning more route announcements, I really hope they keep PDX in mind. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a PDX-DTW.
That would be the most likely and logical add for AS at DTW.

klm617

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 pm

RWA380 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Not true, most all longer stage regional flying will be E-175's once QX has their 30+ from AAG & OO is flying an additional 30 or so on behalf of AAG under the Alaska banner.

joeljack wrote:

OMA-PDX is doing better than fine. The OMA market is growing & AS offers great opportunities for Nebraska flyers.

Midwestindy wrote:

I don't think you'll have to wait a super long time, just call it an educated hunch.

flymco753 wrote:

AS sees DTW as the DL stronghold that is it. They will offer a token presence as is needed. The subject of the In-perimeter slots AAG has at DCA & LGA, could be easily be used for a SEA-DTW-LGA/DCA or PDX-MSP-DCA/LGA routings. A targeted jab to DL.

kon wrote:
AS is currently a very interesting airline to watch as of late. If they are planning more route announcements, I really hope they keep PDX in mind. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a PDX-DTW

PDX is the second largest hub in the AAG system, it will likely be superseded in the future by SFO or LAX. But PDX gives much to AAG & as plugged in as we are here, how top drawer our restaurants & night life scene is. We are loyal customers & we have been rewarded with lots of non-stop destinations & a hometown carrier that is the best domestic carrier.

ATL and MSP are also Delta strong holds but that didn't stop AS from expanding there. I think AS would have a great following in Detroit from people who are tired of having Delta as their only choice. PDX-DTW isn't even year round on Delta so AS would pretty much have that market to themselves.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Acey559

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 pm

chrisair wrote:
All this E175 expansion has got to be driving the mainline AS pilots absolutely bonkers.

Adipocere wrote:
With AA and WN expected to slowly give up on PHX

Who said either of these airlines are giving up on Phoenix?

AS pilots don't have scope language in their contract, so if it is driving them nuts, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

As for Midwest routes, my best friend works at the DSM airport and he said they are pushing hard to get AS service at DSM. Not sure how close they are, but I'd put a good chance on it happening.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

enilria

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:11 pm

USAavdork wrote:
Hi Everyone. First of all, this is my first post. Thank You for all the years of fun reading and dedication you have all poured into this site.

Now, into the good stuff. When Alaska Airlines first announced SFO-MSP it raised an eyebrow. The times of the flights didnt "add up." It was obvious the first SFO-MSP wouldn't turn the second MSP-SFO. I thought someone would bring it up on here, but no one did! A former AS friend told me the PDX-MSP might be retuned but I knew there was something more to it.

Now... fast forward to last weeks announcement and we're left with the same problem: SFO-MCI couldn't turn MCI-SFO. (see schedules below). With that, I decided to do my own investigating. After contacting someone with more knowledge , it seems my assumptions were right on. So don't be suprised to see more announcements from Alaska this week :) With that, here is the only clue I can give you:

There has been a lot of speculation (not just by me) that DAL is closing, if so they would need to fly the LGA/DCA slots (or lease them out). MSP has been widely speculated as a destination because it is a logical geographic stop between LGA/DCA and SEA/PDX, and because of the build-up AS has been doing in MSP. MCI is another possibility with thrus to SFO/SAN/LAX possibly...

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
ATL and MSP are also Delta strong holds but that didn't stop AS from expanding there. I think AS would have a great following in Detroit from people who are tired of having Delta as their only choice. PDX-DTW isn't even year round on Delta so AS would pretty much have that market to themselves.

NW/DL has been running DTW-PDX, if at all, seasonally in my recollection, for 25+ years. If AS wants to lose a lot of money on it they can run it year-round. The demand for incremental destinations offered DTW-PDX-XXX is trivial vs. DTW-SEA-XXX. DTW-PDX O&D is very seasonal; DL doesn't run it year-round even with feed into DTW from everywhere in the East.

DTW passengers have lots of choice. 26% of enplaned passengers in 2016 weren't on Delta and DL connection carriers. That's 4.5 million enplanements.

I don't know if your command of available facts is poor or if you simply don't care about facts.

http://wcaa.us/Portals/WCAACorp/Full_Report(CY)_Final_2016.pdf

NameOmitted

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
I don't know if your command of available facts is poor or if you simply don't care about facts.

You made a compelling argument. Was that last line needed?

WaywardMemphian

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:35 pm

MEM and XNA to a couple of Pacific Coast Destinations would be swell.

klm617

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:16 pm

enilria wrote:
USAavdork wrote:

There has been a lot of speculation (not just by me) that DAL is closing, if so they would need to fly the LGA/DCA slots (or lease them out). MSP has been widely speculated as a destination because it is a logical geographic stop between LGA/DCA and SEA/PDX, and because of the build-up AS has been doing in MSP. MCI is another possibility with thrus to SFO/SAN/LAX possibly...

I think DTW would be better geographically positioned than either MCI or MSP plus the fact they would only need to go up against DL as in MSP you have Sun Country and Delta both to contend with.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

ASFlyer

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

joeljack wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
joeljack wrote:

Been watching flights since the route started. Per omaha airport website, 53 percent LF in January and the flights were dirt cheap. Routinely only $100 each way or just slightly more.

I'm confused, cause I looked at the OMA airport website and I see traffic statistics, but nothing broken out by route that I can see. According to the statistics, however, Alaska/Skywest carried 2,305 people. That's even more confusing to me because Skywest offers 2,356 seats a month on OMA-PDX. I must be missing something on the OMA web page. Can you point me to where they break the load factors out by route?

Jshank83

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:43 pm

klm617 wrote:

I think DTW would be better geographically positioned than either MCI or MSP plus the fact they would only need to go up against DL as in MSP you have Sun Country and Delta both to contend with.

I am assuming you can run RJ-175s to MCI/MSP to the east and west coast and you can't run them to DTW from the west coast. So running through somewhere closer to the middle of the country gives them more options than DTW.

ucdtim17

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm

RWA380 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

I'm sure that will be the case some day, but the E175s being delivered this year all appear to be going to new routes

joeljack

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
joeljack wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I'm confused, cause I looked at the OMA airport website and I see traffic statistics, but nothing broken out by route that I can see. According to the statistics, however, Alaska/Skywest carried 2,305 people. That's even more confusing to me because Skywest offers 2,356 seats a month on OMA-PDX. I must be missing something on the OMA web page. Can you point me to where they break the load factors out by route?

They don't break it out, I was just doing it by the skywest number. I think you did your math wrong. Available seats: 31 days x 76 seats x 2 for each direction. = 4712 available seats. 2305/4712 = 48.9% LF. Fares were super cheap too! You could go roundtrip for just over $200 bucks which included taxes. I think OMA-PDX would do fine March-July but by following the data since it started, September-February is going to be very tough to make any money. This is the same reason why Delta does DTW-PDX on a seasonal basis only. Portland is a seasonal destination. Last fall and this fall, Nebraska and Oregon play each other in September so that helps that month out on a short term basis.

enilria

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I am assuming you can run RJ-175s to MCI/MSP to the east and west coast and you can't run them to DTW from the west coast. So running through somewhere closer to the middle of the country gives them more options than DTW.

Correct, the goal (I think) would be to be able to lower the risk of operating LGA/DCA to a non-hub as much as possible and the E175s are the key to that. While the E175 may be able to make it on paper to the East coast from SEA, the most they are flying it now is 1718 miles and there are a bunch of routes all clustered at that distance which tells me it is the limit. That's about the distance from SEA to MKE. Getting into Ohio and Michigan is considerably further.

So, only something like DCA-MKE/MCI/MSP-SEA works with an E175.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

^STL would work also but unless they add more to them in the next expansion then I doubt that's the route they go.

32andBelow

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:19 pm

ANCMSP if they want to stick it to DL

TransGlobalGold

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Adipocere wrote:

Who said they were giving up PHX? If anything AA might cut back, but I can't imagine WN downsizing it.

TransGlobalGold

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:40 pm

enilria wrote:
USAavdork wrote:

Shades of when AS bought Jet America. I know they flew MSP-DCA, not sure if they flew to LGA.

JBoy

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

ANC MSP would be fantastic and highly successful in my view.

NameOmitted

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 pm

32andBelow wrote:
ANCMSP if they want to stick it to DL

I would love a direct flight from ANC to MSP. That being said, if they wanted to stick it to DL, it would be MSP-ANC with continuing service to Japan on one of the shinny new 737 MAX 9s... which they deferred delivery of.

No, it would not be wise or smart, but it would be one-stop service with a fuel stop right along the great circle route in a very fuel efficient aircraft... and it would be service that Northwest pioneered and built demand for. If it could at least break even, it would be a way to stick it to DL. :box:

klm617

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 pm

enilria wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Correct, the goal (I think) would be to be able to lower the risk of operating LGA/DCA to a non-hub as much as possible and the E175s are the key to that. While the E175 may be able to make it on paper to the East coast from SEA, the most they are flying it now is 1718 miles and there are a bunch of routes all clustered at that distance which tells me it is the limit. That's about the distance from SEA to MKE. Getting into Ohio and Michigan is considerably further.

So, only something like DCA-MKE/MCI/MSP-SEA works with an E175.

Do you think running E175s coast to coast is really a sound business plan seem to me those would be pretty long and thin routes for such a small aircraft not to mention with the limited capacity that with all the transfer passengers going from east to west and V.V. there is going to be very limited space for a MSP/MCI passenger to get a seat on these flights.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

klm617 wrote:

Do you think running E175s coast to coast is really a sound business plan seem to me those would be pretty long and thin routes for such a small aircraft not to mention with the limited capacity that with all the transfer passengers going from east to west and V.V. there is going to be very limited space for a MSP/MCI passenger to get a seat on these flights.

You can always upgauge later once you get more of a base. I am in no way saying this will happen. I am just saying if they wanted to start connections or thru traffic, I would see why they would choose a middle of the country place that more planes can fly in and out of than one that they have to use bigger planes. This could be at a number of different airports in this range. I don't want to specify any certain one.

enilria

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:36 pm

klm617 wrote:

The E175 is quite comfortable. I don't think it is significantly different than an Airbus. I think the goal is that there wouldn't be that much space for thru passengers. They'd rather carry locals, but it's all about risk. If they don't get enough locals to fill it up they have a second option. This is exactly how a hub works, they just have only two O&Ds to fill the plane as opposed to maybe 50 at a hub. If they time it as a scissor hub they could theoretically have connections with PDX/SEA on one end and LGA/DCA on the other.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Could these flights be flowing (for example) SFO/PDX-MCI/MSP-DCA/LGA? Not sure that they'd want DCA/LGA to be EJets though.
-Dave

Jshank83

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:46 pm

^ I am flying on my first E175 SFO-STL on Monday. We will see how it goes. I guess I will know better how it compares on a long trip after that.

lavalampluva

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 pm

IMO Having a mid-continental hub just doesn't seem to fit in with the AS business model.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

usxguy

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm

lets see if Horizon or SkyWest can even CREW all these planes on order, first.

AAG isnt too thrilled that QX is parking Q400s right now due to lack of crew.
xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos