Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
N85M
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 pm

DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

It seems to me that DL is bigger in FLL than MIA, is that a true statement?
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:40 pm

According to Wikipedia Miami has
13 destinations and Fort Lauderdale
had 9 destinations.I don't know frequencies.Also this includes Delta Connection.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11049
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 pm

DL flies to more destinations from MIA, but carries more passengers from FLL. DL is the 2nd biggest carrier in MIA (after AA obviously), and the 4th largest in FLL (after B6, WN, and NK in that order).
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8761
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:08 pm

N85M wrote:
It seems to me that DL is bigger in FLL than MIA, is that a true statement?


www.flightstats.com doesn't make it quite as easy as they used to, but you can look at a carrier's departures for a day by airport code, eliminate codeshares (not regional carriers), click by departure to see airport type, and do a little seat count math.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Here is Delta's scheduled outbound data for 2016 (on a per day basis, so divided by 366). I added other Florida airports for kicks.

Airport...Flights...Seats...ASMs...Destinations
TPA...32.5...4,987...3,827,206...9
FLL...32.4...5,365...4,557,053...9
MIA...27.4 ...4,087...3,666,356...12
JAX...20.1...2,715...1,067,560...5
PBI...17.8...2,710...1,946,972...6
SRQ...7.0...1,051...536,579...3
PNS...6.8...1,122...305,266...1
VPS...6.6...749...187,333...1
GNV...6.2...394...118,666 ...1
TLH...6.2...652...146,782...1
EYW...4.8...510...330,181...1
DAB...4.4...714...262,160...1
MLB...4.1...552...244,501...1
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:36 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
Here is Delta's scheduled outbound data for 2016 (on a per day basis, so divided by 366). I added other Florida airports for kicks.

Airport...Flights...Seats...ASMs...Destinations
TPA...32.5...4,987...3,827,206...9
FLL...32.4...5,365...4,557,053...9
MIA...27.4 ...4,087...3,666,356...12
JAX...20.1...2,715...1,067,560...5
PBI...17.8...2,710...1,946,972...6
SRQ...7.0...1,051...536,579...3
PNS...6.8...1,122...305,266...1
VPS...6.6...749...187,333...1
GNV...6.2...394...118,666 ...1
TLH...6.2...652...146,782...1
EYW...4.8...510...330,181...1
DAB...4.4...714...262,160...1
MLB...4.1...552...244,501...1


Fascinating, thanks! Is it easy to draw up numbers for MCO, too?

I arrive at the same destination count for FLL, but for TPA, I count 10 destinations (ATL, DTW, JFK, LGA, CVG, MSP, LAX, BOS, RDU, CUN -- and soon, SLC), and 13 for MIA (ATL, DTW, JFK, LGA, MSP, MCO, LAX, HAV, SLC, CMH, IND, RDU, DCA) -- What's missing?
 
flymia
Posts: 7130
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

FLL has traditionally been a larger operation than MIA for DL. FLL was even once a focus city for DL with some more regional flights and more connections up the east coast. These days though it seems like almost everything goes through ATL.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
miaskies
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:08 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm

DL SFL Ops - Destinations Served:

Non-Stop from FLL:
ATL
BOS
CVG
DTW
MSP
JFK
LGA
RDU
SEA

Non-Stop from MIA:

ATL
CMH (Saturday only - E175 service)
DCA (Saturday only - E175 service)
DTW
HAV
IND (Saturday only - E175 service)
LAX
MSP
JFK
LGA
MCO
RDU (Saturday only - CR7 service)
SLC
Crosscheck Complete :)
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 pm

On a related note, Delta obviously moves a huge amount of traffic to and from Florida and has historically had focus city operations in no less than three of the big markets, so it would be interesting to see if MCO, FLL, TPA and MIA all make it on a list of their 20 largest stations, in terms of seats and ASMs.
 
N85M
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I had that question on the back of my mind for a long time.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2491
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm

I live near FLL I have noticed that Delta flies 763s and 764s on occasion from/to FLL during the high season in Florida.
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Sorry, not sure how MCO was omitted the first time--I asked it to pull all Florida.

Airport...Flights...Seats...ASMs...Destinations
MCO...53.5...9,376...9,175,605...26
TPA...32.5...4,987...3,827,206...9
FLL...32.4...5,365...4,557,053...9
MIA...27.4 ...4,087...3,666,356...12
JAX...20.1...2,715...1,067,560...5
PBI...17.8...2,710...1,946,972...6
SRQ...7.0...1,051...536,579...3
PNS...6.8...1,122...305,266...1
VPS...6.6...749...187,333...1
GNV...6.2...394...118,666 ...1
TLH...6.2...652...146,782...1
EYW...4.8...510...330,181...1
DAB...4.4...714...262,160...1
MLB...4.1...552...244,501...1
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:16 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
According to Wikipedia Miami has
12 destinations and Fort Lauderdale
had 9 destinations.I don't know frequencies.Also this includes Delta Connection.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8633
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 pm

miaskies wrote:
DL SFL Ops - Destinations Served:

Non-Stop from FLL:
ATL
BOS
CVG
DTW
MSP
JFK
LGA
RDU
SEA

Non-Stop from MIA:

ATL
CMH (Saturday only - E175 service)
DCA (Saturday only - E175 service)
DTW
HAV
IND (Saturday only - E175 service)
LAX
MSP
JFK
LGA
MCO
RDU (Saturday only - CR7 service)
SLC


So it's 9 destinations each
Really? We're counting Sat only service?

dfwjim1 wrote:
I live near FLL I have noticed that Delta flies 763s and 764s on occasion from/to FLL during the high season in Florida.


I was in S Florida for 34 days last week...I only saw 1 757 @ FLL from ANY airline. A few DL A321 and tons of UA 739
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8633
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

N85M wrote:
It seems to me that DL is bigger in FLL than MIA, is that a true statement?


DL moved the bulk of their S Florida operations from MIA to FLL around 1972/1973

Actually, except for the obvious one, but isn't everybody (US & Canada) bigger @ FLL than MIA?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3347
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:49 pm

727LOVER wrote:
I was in S Florida for 34 days last week...


That's impressive. I've only ever managed to fit 7 days into a week :).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8633
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm

FSDan wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
I was in S Florida for 34 days last week...


That's impressive. I've only ever managed to fit 7 days into a week :).

yeah OOPS on that....make that 4 days ! LOL
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
GoSteelers
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: DL operations in FLL and MIA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
Sorry, not sure how MCO was omitted the first time--I asked it to pull all Florida.

Airport...Flights...Seats...ASMs...Destinations
MCO...53.5...9,376...9,175,605...26
TPA...32.5...4,987...3,827,206...9
FLL...32.4...5,365...4,557,053...9
MIA...27.4 ...4,087...3,666,356...12
JAX...20.1...2,715...1,067,560...5
PBI...17.8...2,710...1,946,972...6
SRQ...7.0...1,051...536,579...3
PNS...6.8...1,122...305,266...1
VPS...6.6...749...187,333...1
GNV...6.2...394...118,666 ...1
TLH...6.2...652...146,782...1
EYW...4.8...510...330,181...1
DAB...4.4...714...262,160...1
MLB...4.1...552...244,501...1


Missed RSW too. I believe Delta is the largest carrier there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos