Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLStewie

Re: AA to offer free meals in coach on transcons

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Monkey see, monkey do. Not surprised that AA is matching on the premium transcons. Looks like it will be more of a true "meal" than DL's snack, but it still stretches the term.

I see UA being the least likely to do this since EWR doesn't have the same head-to-head competition. Few people would ever switch airports just for a free snack. Their competitive position is little-changed. I still wouldn't be surprised if they do add them, but I wouldn't expect it like I did for AA.

MSPNWA, AA mirrored DL's offering almost identically.

jb1087xna

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 pm

par13del wrote:
So how is it that the laws of breaking fares down to each component work for everything else but food??????
If prices do not go up does that mean that a food component was in the fares but the service not provided?

I expect fares to rise, if they do not, it will mean that they have been playing loose with the truth when talking about breaking down fares to allow customers
to make their own choices.

Not necessarily, it could mean they're eating the cost from another part of the fare if prices don't rise. There would have to be a clear path back to the last time that meals were free in Y on these routes to be able to judge what they are doing. Since so much of the industry landscape and economics outside of the direct industry (inflation, deflation, raw materials, wages, etc) are different, I would imagine it'd be extremely difficult to determine. It'd be one thing if they were offering free meals in Y on these routes up until 2 months ago and then suddenly dropped them and ticket prices didn't drop. But that's not the case, so I don't know that it's fair to assume they are doing what you suggest.

commavia

Re: AA to offer free meals in coach on JFK-LAX/SFO

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice change - glad to see AA following Delta's lead on this. I agree that United can't be far behind.

grbauc

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
keitherson wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
1. United lowers price of ticket $7.
2. AA/DL lower price of ticket $7.
3. UA now has less revenue than if they'd just left the fare the same and still skipped the meal.

Maybe if they handed each passenger $7 as they boarded the plane and said "We have BoB - thank you for flying United", it'd have a different impact? It's a quandary.

You think these economy class wrap/sandwich meals cost even close to $7????

Hint: that's on the higher end of the food costs for business class meals.

Usually buy on board meals are sold pretty close to at cost for the fresh food. It is perishable and must usually be used within two flights. Buy on board profits usually come from packaged snacks and snack boxes or alcohol. It adds a lot to the cost to have a catering truck load food onboard that doesn't exist when distributing similar food through restaurants. A hot economy meal averages $10 and business class $40. Add in alcohol and there are airlines spending over $100 per business class passenger.

http://www.mightytravels.com/2014/12/ho ... ally-cost/

Thanks http://www.eturbonews.com/53842/first-class-meals-aircraft-what-it-costs-and-what-it-means-airli

Newbiepilot

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:53 pm

I doubt the airlines are earning that much this time of year since winter fares tend to be pretty low starting around $250-400. When summer comes and economy fares are $600 for advance purchase and $1000 within a few days, there's is plenty of margin to squeeze in a free meal into the fare.

IPFreely

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 am

grbauc wrote:
Would you rather have Free or higher quality buy options. I'd rather have better quality and changing choices.

You have this option available to you. It's called a premium cabin seat.

grbauc

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 am

IPFreely wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Would you rather have Free or higher quality buy options. I'd rather have better quality and changing choices.

You have this option available to you. It's called a premium cabin seat.

I was asking about food would people rather have free food or maybe a more premium bob choice.

N644US

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 am

MSPNWA wrote:
michman wrote:
I flew DL transcon on JFK-LAX a couple weeks ago and the AA offering (see below) looks to be identical to what I experienced on DL. On what basis do you believe to be more of a true "meal" that what DL offers? I got the turkey sandwich with DL that came with chips and a brownie. I can assure it was quite substantial. They also had a vegetarian wrap option and a fruit and cheese platter. They later came by with ice cream bars.

Did you fly during the test period? Or was this after March 1st? And was this in Y or C+?

DL made no mention of the chips and dessert in their press release for the March 1st launch, so if they are doing it, that would be the same as AA's offering.

Looking at the pictures that both press releases provided (at http://news.aa.com/press-releases/press ... fault.aspx and http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-free ... 12-markets) it can be seen in DL's press release a cookie and grapes are provided in the picture along with the wrap. AA's press release either shows a cookie or a brownie along with chips. Assuming that MSPNWA was flying in Y+ due to the mention of ice cream bars (described as "greek frozen yogurt bars" in the DL press release about March 1 meals), it was can be assumed he flew after March 1. Based on that assumption, it can be said that both DL and AA offer the same standard of service, with the exception of DL's inclusion of free beer, wine, and spirits for Y+ customers 21 and over, and another snack basket before landing in Y+. AA also had no mention about service during overnight flights, and based on the fact that even in transcon F on the 321T there is no meal after 8pm, there most likely will be no such breakfast bar that DL will offer in Y for overnight flights.
Aviation: the field where (almost) anything can be solved using math and science.

mernest

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 am

ckfred wrote:
The reason AA is starting with the JFK trans-cons is because the A321Ts probably have enough galley space to offer a plated meal in Y.

Remember, the transcon A321 has the fewest Y seats of any mainline plane in the AA fleet. There's even one E175 configuration that has as many Y seats.

etops1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 am

Jamake1 wrote:
Hmmm...I wonder if travelers in AA Basic Economy will be served the "free" meal...

Actually.. AA doesn't offer "Basic Economy" on the JFK-LAX/SFO route . And if they did . Once onboard . All main cabin passengers will be treated equally. There is no change to the onboard experience for a basic economy customer .

Rookie87

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 am

mernest wrote:
ckfred wrote:
The reason AA is starting with the JFK trans-cons is because the A321Ts probably have enough galley space to offer a plated meal in Y.

Remember, the transcon A321 has the fewest Y seats of any mainline plane in the AA fleet. There's even one E175 configuration that has as many Y seats.

*quoted the wrong person sorry*

There is a meal after 8pm on the 321T, I just flew the 941pm from SFO a week ago. Choices were beef quesadilla, salmon with Thai fried rice and I think...i think spaghetti squash
Last edited by Rookie87 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie87

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:53 am

N644US wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
michman wrote:
I flew DL transcon on JFK-LAX a couple weeks ago and the AA offering (see below) looks to be identical to what I experienced on DL. On what basis do you believe to be more of a true "meal" that what DL offers? I got the turkey sandwich with DL that came with chips and a brownie. I can assure it was quite substantial. They also had a vegetarian wrap option and a fruit and cheese platter. They later came by with ice cream bars.

Did you fly during the test period? Or was this after March 1st? And was this in Y or C+?

DL made no mention of the chips and dessert in their press release for the March 1st launch, so if they are doing it, that would be the same as AA's offering.

Looking at the pictures that both press releases provided (at http://news.aa.com/press-releases/press ... fault.aspx and http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-free ... 12-markets) it can be seen in DL's press release a cookie and grapes are provided in the picture along with the wrap. AA's press release either shows a cookie or a brownie along with chips. Assuming that MSPNWA was flying in Y+ due to the mention of ice cream bars (described as "greek frozen yogurt bars" in the DL press release about March 1 meals), it was can be assumed he flew after March 1. Based on that assumption, it can be said that both DL and AA offer the same standard of service, with the exception of DL's inclusion of free beer, wine, and spirits for Y+ customers 21 and over, and another snack basket before landing in Y+. AA also had no mention about service during overnight flights, and based on the fact that even in transcon F on the 321T there is no meal after 8pm, there most likely will be no such breakfast bar that DL will offer in Y for overnight flights.

Hello N644US, AA does offer a meal on the 321T transcon between SFO/LAX-JFK after 8pm, please see my previous post

grbauc

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
mernest wrote:
ckfred wrote:

*quoted the wrong person sorry*

There is a meal after 8pm on the 321T, I just flew the 941pm from SFO a week ago. Choices were beef quesadilla, salmon with Thai fried rice and I think...i think spaghetti squash

yea i think its a smaller meal after 8pm.. its been a few months since my last flight

michman

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
michman wrote:

I flew on March 7th and had the Mesquite-smoked turkey combo. The sandwich can be found on the Flight Fuel menu and I can verify it came with the chips and brownie.

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/fil ... _final.pdf

Mesquite-smoked turkey with Gruyère and Roma tomatoes, smeared with a creamy tomato-basil spread and topped with arugula on ciabatta. Complete with Wise Kettle Potato Chips and a Dancing Deer Brownie.

Overthecascades

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 pm

The big difference is AA is offering coach class meals only on SFO LAX JFK transcon markets on their 321T. Delta is doing it much wider scale and reach.

USAirALB

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:58 am

At a curiosity, do any AA narrow-bodies (other than the 757) still have ovens in their Y class galley?

I know US removed theirs in the years after their first bankruptcy. I suppose most of the ovens though are sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and could be re-installed relatively easily.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 am

michman wrote:
I flew on March 7th and had the Mesquite-smoked turkey combo. The sandwich can be found on the Flight Fuel menu and I can verify it came with the chips and brownie.

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/fil ... _final.pdf

Mesquite-smoked turkey with Gruyère and Roma tomatoes, smeared with a creamy tomato-basil spread and topped with arugula on ciabatta. Complete with Wise Kettle Potato Chips and a Dancing Deer Brownie.

Thanks for the report. So AA's offering indeed is almost identical to DL's. I'm just surprised DL's press release made no mention of the extras included with the main course derived from the Flight Fuel menu.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Congrats to AA finally. But will UA also offer free meals on the same route?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos