SonaSounds
Topic Author

SFO to Get First Public Pre-Security USA Outdoor Observation Deck?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Hey all,

After years or rumors, SFO officially announced they are going to build a public pre-security observation deck after they demo their old air traffic control tower. I know other airports across the world have had observation decks for decades, but the USA has been far behind this, especially after 9/11. There has recently been lounges with observations decks and there were some pre 9/11 observation decks. But are there any current pre-security, public observation decks in the United States or is this truly the first in the USA in this modern time of aviation?

Should have fantastic views from on top of SFO's Terminal 2. Won't be as high as the old ATCT due to blocking the view of the current tower, but it should still be a great vantage point.

Renderings in the article: http://travelskills.com/2017/03/14/sfo- ... -platform/

Mryflyer

Re: SFO to Get First Public Pre-Security USA Outdoor Observation Deck?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm

MRY, less than 100 miles away, has had one for decades... Presecurity, open air. Only change with 9/11 was to increase height of glass walls.

SonaSounds
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Mryflyer wrote:
MRY, less than 100 miles away, has had one for decades... Presecurity, open air. Only change with 9/11 was to increase height of glass walls.

No offense to MRY, but MRY is almost a GA airport doing about 200k annual commercial passengers. Quite a few small airports have great viewing locations (which I love taking advantage of, including MRY!). I guess I didn't make myself clear as I meant airports that have a decent commercial aviation operation going....maybe 3+ million annual passengers?

FSDan

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Cool! The pre-security observation deck at AMS is awesome! It'll be nice to have something like that in the U.S.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Mryflyer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:19 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
Mryflyer wrote:

No offense to MRY, but MRY is almost a GA airport doing about 200k annual commercial passengers. Quite a few small airports have great viewing locations (which I love taking advantage of, including MRY!). I guess I didn't make myself clear as I meant airports that have a decent commercial aviation operation going....maybe 3+ million annual passengers?

Fair enough.... I was taking the question as written... I will say that I have watched some great landings and takeoffs from that deck including Air Force One (707 version with President Ford), the Blue Angels, and a QF 747. I doubt I'll ever get any closer than that on the SFO deck or any other for that matter....

SFOA380

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm

There will also be a public observation deck and rooftop bar at the Grand Hyatt. Grand Hyatt will sit adjacent to Boarding Area A and is breaking ground soon and opening in 2019.

MakeMinesLAX

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Call me biased, but I believe the observation deck in the Theme Building at LAX is probably the best example in terms of visibility, etc. I have to qualify that statement, though, since it's only open one weekend per month at present.

cschleic

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 pm

MakeMinesLAX wrote:
Call me biased, but I believe the observation deck in the Theme Building at LAX is probably the best example in terms of visibility, etc. I have to qualify that statement, though, since it's only open one weekend per month at present.

The schedule changed? It used to be every weekend.

Yes, MRY has limited service, but it's a great vantage point. Many airports have garages that can double as observation areas, although the one at FLL is designated as a viewing area and has benches (albeit concrete blocks) for sitting. Several others have observation areas away from the terminal.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Wouldn't it have been better if they used the old ATC tower itself as the observation deck?

But hey, that's just me.

ERJ170

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 pm

RDU has 2 outdoor observations, one overlooking each runway. The main observation isn't connected to the terminal but definitely gives great views.. probably about 500' from the runway.. the other observation deck is at the general aviation where you can actually walk on the deck over the apron and see GA and runway excursions.: and includes a restaurant and indoor seating.. kinda hard to top that...
Aiming High and going far..

CantbeGrounded

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Wouldn't it have been better if they used the old ATC tower itself as the observation deck?

But hey, that's just me.

The old tower is a visual obstruction to the new tower, and is not seismically up to date, so it must be removed.

bioyuki

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:

But hey, that's just me.

I was up in the old tower before they started the demo. Not practical...the entire area is secure, with biometric security, since you're able to access other parts of the building. Also, the old ATC tower itself is tiny, you can't fit more than ~10 people up there at a time.
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

CantbeGrounded

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
RDU has 2 outdoor observations, one overlooking each runway. The main observation isn't connected to the terminal but definitely gives great views.. probably about 500' from the runway.. the other observation deck is at the general aviation where you can actually walk on the deck over the apron and see GA and runway excursions.: and includes a restaurant and indoor seating.. kinda hard to top that...

Per the article, SFO's will have a cafe and the photo indicates indoor and outdoor seating as well!

ERJ170

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Sounds great! Hopefully you will get that JetFuel smell too... it's like aviation meth
Aiming High and going far..

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 pm

GRR says hi. (I mean, it's on the other side of the field from the terminal, but it's there.)

MakeMinesLAX

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 pm

cschleic wrote:
The schedule changed? It used to be every weekend.

According to the LAWA website. That's a bit disappointing, but the Flight Path Museum (Tue-Sat 10-3) is a good alternative. The staff are very spotter-friendly.

timz

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 pm

CantbeGrounded wrote:
The old tower is a visual obstruction to the new tower, and is not seismically up to date, so it must be removed.

Both old towers will be removed?

SonaSounds
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

I was in RDU a few months ago and didn't even know about this! I will have to check it out next time a fly through

haynflyer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 pm

There is also one at Dulles located at the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center's Donald D. Engen Observation Tower. It is not open air however.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

CantbeGrounded

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 pm

timz wrote:
CantbeGrounded wrote:

Both old towers will be removed?

Yes - I think the other one was referred to as the 'shadow tower' by some folks here.

aaflyer777

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

MHT has an observation deck above the gate area

ro1960

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Shame it's going to be behind glass observation. Not good for photographing. ORY has one with glass walls and you get a lot of glare. Wires like at HND (or nothing) would be perfect.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

727LOVER

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 pm

So we are clear, I believe the OP is talking about observation decks within the terminal, not at the end of runways accessible by car.

SRQ has 2. The one on top of the terminal sucks beyond belief. However the one on the east next to the terminal is nice.

Are the ones @ CLE & ABE still open?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

mpdpilot

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm

This is pretty awesome news! I do however think that first is kind of a strong statement.

Santa Barbara has one, PHX has two unofficial open air viewing spots on the roof of the parking structures, though I suppose that isn't "technically" part of the terminal building.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

ocracoke

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:27 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
Hey all,

But are there any current pre-security, public observation decks in the United States or is this truly the first in the USA in this modern time of aviation?

/

Nantucket. Crosswinds restaurant. While not officially a "deck", this ground level restaurant at ACK does have a pre-security outdoor patio dining right on the tarmac area. You can enjoy your coffee or breakfast/lunch/dinner outdoors next to all the action. Any fod that gets blown into your meal is free.

GSPSPOT

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Will DEFINITELY be planning excursions to SFO when that baby opens! I remember waaaay back in the day, I loved the outdoor observation decks atop the central concourses at both MSY and the old ATL (pre-midfield terminals). Heck, even my piddly old home airport at the time (MOB) had one on the 2nd floor of their old terminal, next to the NWS office.
Great Lakes, great life.

tjwgrr

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
GRR says hi. (I mean, it's on the other side of the field from the terminal, but it's there.)

.....and under construction for a big expansion to be completed soon. Here's the renderings. #1 on the site plan is existing, everything else will be new, including restrooms, a covered pavilion and more picnic tables:

http://mathisonarchitects.com/portfolio ... wing-park/

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

UpNAWAy

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 pm

PHX used to have a resteraunt called the Left Seat with views on the north Runway and taxi ways, over by Honeywell. Not sure if that is still open for Breakfast and lunch?

lesfalls

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

YUL is a nice one I heard(it might not be in the U.S but quite a nice one for NA considering how there is a limited amount of them at major airports in North America):

http://www.thirtythousand.us/2012/07/25 ... MqaKtT3arU
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Indy

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:10 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

I love RDU. I wish I had time to check out the observation towers on my last visit. Too bad more airports don't have great viewing points like that.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

SFOA380

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:19 pm

A bit off topic but ran into this article which talks about the design work taking place for SFO T1. There are a couple of new renderings as well.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/plac ... 2d40616990

727LOVER

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Does LGB still have one?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

b777erj145

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 am

KOKC is about to get one too

CantbeGrounded

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 am

There's no mention of the potential amenities available on the proposed deck. Some of the technology that ZRH has is pretty cool. Outlets, Wifi, tables/chairs, at a minimum I assume but hopefully some aviation-themed ideas will surface.

legacyins

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 am

Would be nice if they would have ATC piped in.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos