Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

subramak1

Re: Pilots: AA leaving behind standby passengers to improve on-time departure

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 pm

wn676 wrote:
subramak1 wrote:
AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

10 minutes before departure for standby does not cut it. If your not on board seated, and strapped in, then it is all on the standby. Although I work for an airline, I as a rule of thumb buy my tickets anyway to make sure I am were I need to be. I am always at my gate 1 1/2 - 2 hours prior to STD.

Sorry , was not clear. I was in paid F

Subu

So if you weren't standby, how is this relevant to the discussion?

Well, to highlight that this may be more than stand by passengers as well.

Subu

thegman

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
subramak1 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
AA places a very heavy emphasis on D0, though to be fair I wouldn't have a job without it.

At what time did you get to the gate? If everyone's on board—including all the standbys at the gate—then they're going to go.

Standbys are generally processed no later than 15 minutes before departure, when the seats of confirmed passengers who haven't shown up yet are dropped (standbys often clear earlier if the flight is not booked to capacity). Doors close 10 minutes before departure.

I was at the gate 10 mins before departure.

Subu

10 minutes before departure for standby does not cut it. If your not on board seated, and strapped in, then it is all on the standby. Although I work for an airline, I as a rule of thumb buy my tickets anyway to make sure I am were I need to be. I am always at my gate 1 1/2 - 2 hours prior to STD.

Why do you waste so much time sitting at the gate?

And have you ever considered factors outside the control of the standby? Previous flight late? I won't even get into the bad traffic, because yes, planning to arrive early mitigates that factor.

dcaviation

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 pm

United held the plane for me. If they didn't I would have to sleep in Chicago. Was connecting from Fargo and because of the snow storm my aircraft was delayed over an hour. When we landed I run to the gate to catch last flight to DCA. The terminal area was deserted and the agent spotted me and yelled my name. When I got to the gate she said that she's putting me in E+ seat. Originally I was in F on a system wide upgrade.
I was downgraded, but made the flight. Because of that United gave me voucher for $200. Which I used on mileage run in February and got free upgrades to F on 2 our of 4 of my flights.
At ORD I've got to my gate at the departure time. They still kept the aircraft on the ground for me. Also, my bags made it. And that's why I will keep flying United.

On the other hand. AA screwed me over at JFK in 1997. I was at the gate 15 minutes before my flight to DCA, people were still boarding, but I've been told that I'm too late. I had to sleep in the baggage claim. And since summer of 1997 I haven't flown with AA.
US Airways was my all time favorite airline, but since they went to bed with AA I gave up my top tier status with them and also haven't flown with them.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

20,000 sounds like a lot because AA is so big. But if it's true they operated 150k flights, that's 1 pax for every 7 flights where a flight left with a seat available but a standby not boarded. And we don't really know the reason for that.

No show, party of 2 or more, restricted payload, etc.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

alasizon

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 am

crAAzy wrote:
Not only standby passengers but they are closing flights earlier than they have in the past and leaving behind ticketed passengers with tight connections.

Jan 31st I arrived on and MKE-ORD flight 25 minutes before my scheduled departure, sat just off the gate for 15 minutes waiting for the aircraft at our arrival gate to depart, ran down 5 gates to arrive 6 minutes before the departure time according to the clock on the monitor behind the gate. The gate agent barely gave me the time of day, told me the flight was closed, my First Class seat had been given away and I could go to the rebooking station behind me so they could try to book me on the United flight that left in 40 minutes.

AA rebooking agent was very friendly and rebooked me on the United flight. As I ran to United terminal, I looked over at my gate and my AA flight was still sitting there 8 minutes after the departure time. I arrived in the United terminal to an overhead announcement telling me to report to my gate where I was welcomed by friendly smiling UA staffers telling me they were holding the flight just for me, gave me a seat with extra legroom and that they were hoping I liked their service as a loyal AA EXP flyer.

It was then that I realized how much the time have changed.
1. Never did I expect that AA's last ORD-MIA flight would leave before 7pm nor expect that United would have later flights on ORD-MIA than AA.
2. I'm also not accustomed to AA closing it's last flights of the night earlier than the scheduled departure times, stranding ticketed passengers.
3. Who would have thought UA employees would go out of their way to may a loyal AA EXP flyer feel more welcome on their UA flight, after missing his AA flight?

The agent might have been a bit negative on the attitude but she at least was trying to get you out that same night. You were then re-accommed onto another airline so that you could get there same day. I personally find it hard to believe that UA even had a shred of clue about you being an AA EXP other than that they saw the source of the reservation and just were trying to give you a good experience. Your outbound flight could have taken any numerous type of delay in the gate while waiting to push. Gate agents can't foresee these things and close on time to protect themselves.

As far as closing last flights of the night earlier than scheduled departure times, all flights "should" be closed at -10 and those flights are no different. There are agents who are good at their job and are able to routinely close at -5/-6 in order to give those hot connections those extra couple minutes but by no means is any flight routinely closing at departure time.

Unfortunately for you, you arrived past -10 and your flight was closed. You would be surprised at how many closes that go 1 or 2 minutes late end up causing a 1 or 2 minute delay just because of a simple issue or a human error from someone rushing. Personally, if I know I have a lot of hot connections and no official hold, I advise agents to hold for a minute or two if I know it will help a majority of our revenue passengers.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos