Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TUSDawg23
Topic Author

DFW Diversions

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 am

Hi Everyone,

So my gf's flight AA#1583 TUS-DFW just got diverted to AUS. Sounds like she is not the only one. Looks like some ugly thunderstorms going on. Also saw a tornado warning alert in effect.

Wingtips56

Re: DFW Diversions

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 am

It's that joyous time of year again. AA1209 SMF-DFW and Eagles from GJT and BRO are in Abilene.

I commuted between SMF and DFW weekly for a solid 4 1/2 years 1989-1993 and again for 9 months in 2000, and was very lucky never to be diverted. However I was often late or canceled due to T-storms and the occasional ice storm. Usually trying to get home from DFW; you know, when you just want to get the hell out of Dodge and go home.

Diverting might have actually been more interesting, and would have filled out my flight map. But not cool if trying to make a connection.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

737max8

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:10 am

Dark clouds here around Love, but I'm seeing LUV birds rocketing into the sky.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

FriscoHeavy

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:48 am

Just got some BigLeague hail here at my housr in South Frisco. Some neighbors have reported in punched through their roofs and had subsequent leaks.

No damage that I can see at my place, but will take a better look in the morning.

I'd post a couple pics from house, but I don't know how to on this website.
Whatever

mcoatc

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 am

AAL79 from LHR diverted into OKC. Lots of airborne holding out to the east, arrivals were starting up again around 9 after about an hour or so of none. It's going to be a long night for quite a few folks.

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Just got some BigLeague hail here at my housr in South Frisco. Some neighbors have reported in punched through their roofs and had subsequent leaks.

My place in Frisco seems free of damage. I enjoy some convective activity, but you Texans can keep your hail.

glbltrvlr

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 am

Top on my list of worst flight experiences ever was an AA flight into DFW this time of year. We left an hour late for what should have been a 90 minute flight. Instead it was 1.5 hours dodging thunderstorms all the way in. Breathed a sigh of relief on touchdown, then the pilot came on to stay ground crew had just been called inside, so we were stacked up on a taxiway halfway to Arkansas. About 3 hours later we made it to the jetway. I hate DFW in the spring. :(

AWACSooner

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 am

737max8 wrote:

Yah...every time there's a lightning bolt within 500 miles of DFW, AA seems to freak out and start their irrops. I have never seen it as bad for any other US airport, even ATL.

us330

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:56 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Yah...every time there's a lightning bolt within 500 miles of DFW, AA seems to freak out and start their irrops. I have never seen it as bad for any other US airport, even ATL.

In this case it was legit. Big time thunderheads and a hail storm over the northern part of the DFW area.

freakyrat

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Driving through Southlake last night after the storm it seems that because of all the leftover lightning etc. that all the flights I saw were being vectored unto the approach for 13R.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:53 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
737max8 wrote:

There is a big difference in the size of the operations at DAL and DFW. DAL operates nowhere near close to capacity as WN, the biggest operator, is limited by gate space and thus there is only so much they can put in there. DFW is the primary hub of AA and get a ton of traffic from all over the country and world. When it comes to ATC, DAL arrivals are far less constrained than DFW arrivals.

Weather wise the weather usually builds west of the DFW area and then moves east across the metroplex airports and then continues eastwards after that. It often strengthens east of DFW. Thus you initially get westward flights that got blocked and needed to be moved to around the weather. The you have 30 minutes or so for when the weather cross the fields. Then the weather moves east and the east departures and arrivals become blocked by the weather.

The DFW area is geographically not well situated weather wise. It is on the dividing line between the desert southwest and the gulf moisture. Other than the Red river there are no major mountain ranges or bodies of water that can help to moderate the weather. Being on the southern portion of the Great Plains and in tornado alley, this type of weather is part of life in this area. Its part of doing business. If Southwest and other airlines had a larger operation at DAL, you would see them having the same problems.

You mention ATL. ATL has a different geographic and weather pattern situation than DFW. A good portion of the convection that ATL sees is spring and summer afternoon heat based airmass thunderstorms. Usually these are isolated cells but can become linear. The isolated nature makes it easier to handle. They are often easier to deviate around and once they go through the life cycle of an airmass thunderstorm, they dissipate. Unlike the squall lines and super cells you see in North Texas associated with the dry lines that can persist long before and after they impact the field.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm

The good news with DFW is that once the storms clear, that can start shootin' a lot of approaches into a minimum of 3 runways (17L, 17C, 18R) and even 13R if needed, which means up to 4 simultaneous approaches/landings. At the same time, Departures are rocketing off 17R & 18L. After these strong/severe storm cells/lines pass, it usually becomes pretty still/calm out. Aside from maybe DEN, other airports in the USA can't match this. So, while there may be some disruption, the airport can get back on track very quickly.

Last night, 10-15 minutes after the hail hit at my house, it was so calm, you would have had no idea anything happened if the hail hadn't been in the front yard.
Whatever

737max8

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:02 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
The good news with DFW is that once the storms clear, that can start shootin' a lot of approaches into a minimum of 3 runways (17L, 17C, 18R) and even 13R if needed, which means up to 4 simultaneous approaches/landings. At the same time, Departures are rocketing off 17R & 18L. After these strong/severe storm cells/lines pass, it usually becomes pretty still/calm out. Aside from maybe DEN, other airports in the USA can't match this. So, while there may be some disruption, the airport can get back on track very quickly.

Last night, 10-15 minutes after the hail hit at my house, it was so calm, you would have had no idea anything happened if the hail hadn't been in the front yard.

I walked into Whataburger and it looked like tornado alley outside. I walked out 15 minutes later and it was the most beautiful sunset.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

flyguy84

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
737max8 wrote:

If ATC can't get planes to the airport, not much AA can do.
SFO

Wingtips56

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

737max8 wrote:

But were they all on-time? DFW was launching planes too, but with mega delays.

I was watching one DFW-SMF flight (along with an inbound that had diverted to ABI), which had departed the gate on time only to ground-interrupt and return after an hour and a half. It eventually re-departed after another hour + delay. Overall it was a little over 3 hours late.

When I was commuting to DFW for several years, I most often 'lived' at the old Hyatts at the airport. I could look out my window at the conga lines, noting that sometimes nothing moved for a couple of hours.

I assume they still do this: at AA's terminals, there are strobe lights placed along the roof lines. They flash when the clerks are called indoors, which is associated with lighting strikes within x-miles of the airport. I think it may be 3 miles, but somebody can jump in and correct me. So no fueling (I'm told jet fuel is more sensitive to electric spark than a lit match) and nobody is out to service, meet or dispatch planes on the gates, so nothing moves. Planes that do land through the storm have no gate to go, planes in the departing conga line have no gates to come back to. (This was before the Fed delay rules, so I don't know what different provisions there may be now.)

I assume the situation must be the same at DAL, since that is so heavily utilized. Is it not?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

texdravid

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Air France has been diverted from DFW since 2001. :lol:
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

IADCA

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
It's that joyous time of year again. AA1209 SMF-DFW and Eagles from GJT and BRO are in Abilene.

I commuted between SMF and DFW weekly for a solid 4 1/2 years 1989-1993 and again for 9 months in 2000, and was very lucky never to be diverted. However I was often late or canceled due to T-storms and the occasional ice storm. Usually trying to get home from DFW; you know, when you just want to get the hell out of Dodge and go home.

Diverting might have actually been more interesting, and would have filled out my flight map. But not cool if trying to make a connection.

I figured you might get a kick out of me, your exact opposite experience, chiming in. I'm an East Coast-based UA flier, so I've flown a flight from California (SJC) to DFW precisely once in my life. I got diverted to Abilene because of storms at DFW.

globalcabotage

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:48 am

Was rough here in DFW last night! The Jan EF0 took out my roof, garage, fence, screens, and gutters. This storm took out my parents roof in Flower Mound as well as my brother and sisters homes in Highland Village. Denton County is in the bulls eye this year, and that impacts DFW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos