Cunard
Topic Author

SAS Sells two slots at LHR

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 pm

According to ch-aviation (behind a paywall so no link) SAS have sold two London Heathrow slots for $75mn.

Anyone have any further information regarding this and who SAS sold the slots too.
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

jetblueguy22

Re: SAS Sells of two slots at LHR

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Mind blowing how much money airlines can get for slots at LHR. It's just crazy.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

commavia

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Any guesses on the buyer?

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Mind blowing how much money airlines can get for slots at LHR. It's just crazy.

Indeed. I doubt there is any other airport on earth that could command those prices. It speaks volumes about the astounding value that many airlines place on access to the world's most premium airport.

LHRFlyer

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 am

By "two slots" do we mean a single slot pair or two slot pairs?

$75m would be a near record for one slot pair.

Edit: I see it is two slot pairs.
Last edited by LHRFlyer on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyby519

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 am

How about Hawaiian? The article said that SAS can use the slots up to 3yrs from now, so that could coincide with HA delivery of the A338 which would have legs to do HNL-LHR (and HA CEO has said he'd like to add London to their route map)

ATW online article here:

http://m.atwonline.com/airports-routes/ ... -slot-sale

Block

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 am

What about JetBlue they want to enter the London Market and this will reserve their place

Polot

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 am

There are use it or lose it clauses. You can't just buy a slot to reserve a spot.

AirPacific747

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 am

Apparently they want to operate larger aircraft into LHR to compensate, based on an article I read this morning

airliner371

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:15 am

prebennorholm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 am

$75M is a lot of money, but in fact rather cheapish for two pairs.

Last year SK sold one pair to AA for $60M. Nine years ago CO bought four pairs from three EU carriers at combined $209M. But it all depends greatly on the time of day.

Maybe it is time to sell as long as they are still worth some money. After Brexit it will be downhill for the London banking industry, which today generates a lot of business traffic at LHR. Leisure traffic will in any case not be much LHR related.

Several major EU legacy carriers will need less LHR slots in 5-10 years time when banking and other industries have fully adjusted to Brexit.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

jumbojet

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 am

Block wrote:
What about JetBlue they want to enter the London Market and this will reserve their place

Surely you must be kidding. No way they could even afford that, way out of their league. .

jetbluefan1

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 am

Block wrote:
Cunard wrote:
According to ch-aviation (behind a paywall so no link) SAS have sold two London Heathrow slots for $75mn.

Anyone have any further information regarding this and who SAS sold the slots too.

Not too far fetched. B6 management pointed out LHR at the last investor day (Nov 2016). It is also the largest market from BOS B6 does not serve (after ATL starts on Thursday).

The only issue is that if B6 decides to exercise its options on the 321LR, the aircraft won't come until 2019. I don't think they can sit on unused slots until then. Perhaps they can be leased to another airline on a temporary basis.

grbauc

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Block wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Not too far fetched. B6 management pointed out LHR at the last investor day (Nov 2016). It is also the largest market from BOS B6 does not serve (after ATL starts on Thursday).

The only issue is that if B6 decides to exercise its options on the 321LR, the aircraft won't come until 2019. I don't think they can sit on unused slots until then. Perhaps they can be leased to another airline on a temporary basis.

If they were to lease them out why not wait for other slots? With brexit fears there will tons of slots supposedly. IF and i mean if they are the buyer i think they will be trying to use them. I suppose there is a chance.

HB-IWC

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 am

China Southern have recently gained an additional pair of Heathrow slots with a very competitive early morning arrival. From 01JUN, here is the schedule of the new flight:

CZ603 CAN LHR 0055 0635
CZ604 LHR CAN 1240 0710+1

Those early morning LHR arrival slots are certainly hard to get by.

doug_or

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:56 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Block wrote:

They don't have to. SAS may be using the slots until 2020
When in doubt, one B pump off

bennett123

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 am

Which slot pairs is SAS selling?

B777LRF

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 am

SAS has, along with several other airlines, received a very large fine from the EU over cartel pricing in the cargo market. They're selling the slots to pay the fine.
Signature. You just read one.

mutu

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 pm

prebennorholm wrote:

Last year SK sold one pair to AA for $60M. Nine years ago CO bought four pairs from three EU carriers at combined $209M. But it all depends greatly on the time of day.

Maybe it is time to sell as long as they are still worth some money. After Brexit it will be downhill for the London banking industry, which today generates a lot of business traffic at LHR. Leisure traffic will in any case not be much LHR related.

Several major EU legacy carriers will need less LHR slots in 5-10 years time when banking and other industries have fully adjusted to Brexit.

What a strange theory!! If the UK wants to be more global and continue to have a deep relationship with the EU then I cant believe we will see much of a change frankly. And London is one of a very small number of cities globally with the range of skills and infrastructure and legal and tax frameworks to support and sustain a substantial financial services industry. If the skill base wont move to Paris or Dublin or Frankfurt then new entrants will come in to snap up available talent in London....or existing players accept (as the majority have so far who have commented)but small numbers of jobs will need to move to an EU territory but with London remaining a key location.

And if LHR lost 10% shorthaul traffic and gained 10% longhaul traffic,, who cares!!

Just my thoughts on the matter

kavok

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm

mutu wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:

What a strange theory!! If the UK wants to be more global and continue to have a deep relationship with the EU then I cant believe we will see much of a change frankly. And London is one of a very small number of cities globally with the range of skills and infrastructure and legal and tax frameworks to support and sustain a substantial financial services industry. If the skill base wont move to Paris or Dublin or Frankfurt then new entrants will come in to snap up available talent in London....or existing players accept (as the majority have so far who have commented)but small numbers of jobs will need to move to an EU territory but with London remaining a key location.

And if LHR lost 10% shorthaul traffic and gained 10% longhaul traffic,, who cares!!

Just my thoughts on the matter

It could also be that maybe the industry is more optimistic that a third LHR runway may actually happen this time. If a third runway may actually open in the next ten years, then the long range value of LHR slots becomes much less obviously.

airbazar

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Seems to me like the majority of *A carriers at LHR are there for the O&D passengers and not for connections. As such it almost makes more sense to sell some slot pairs at LHR and move the flights to LCY. Both LH and LX already have a significant presence at LCY. IIRC, SK used to fly from LCY to CPH, OSL, and ARN.

Varsity1

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Block wrote:

Surely you must be kidding. No way they could even afford that, way out of their league. .

Are you serious?? US Carriers are awash in cash. If anyone can afford it right now it's a US carrier.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

ZuluTime

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

China Southern have recently gained an additional pair of Heathrow slots with a very competitive early morning arrival. From 01JUN, here is the schedule of the new flight:

CZ603 CAN LHR 0055 0635

Those came from Air Canada which has reduced YVR-LHR. AC has re-jigged its LHR slot portfolio to release these slots for CZ, don't know whether it is a sale or a lease.

Bostrom

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:15 pm

airbazar wrote:
Seems to me like the majority of *A carriers at LHR are there for the O&D passengers and not for connections. As such it almost makes more sense to sell some slot pairs at LHR and move the flights to LCY. Both LH and LX already have a significant presence at LCY. IIRC, SK used to fly from LCY to CPH, OSL, and ARN.

You are correct, they used to fly to London City.

Restarting those flights might not be a bad idea, even if LCY doesn't fit everyone, it might fit enough people to be profitable. And giving London bound travellers a choice of airport might be a good idea. But is it easy to get slots at LCY?

skipness1E

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

airbazar wrote:

London City is incredibly hard to make money out of unless you are BA. Lufthansa has tried almost every German market at eon point or another and all were dropped, even MUC, leaving only LCY-FRA. Even BA CityFlyer dropped ARN and CPH from LCY after SAS left.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:52 pm

That's an incredible amount to pay for just 2 slots, but I guess its the price to play. On a different note, doesn't United have slots that AC and Virgin are using to LHR?

seansasLCY

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

skipness1E wrote:
airbazar wrote:

London City is incredibly hard to make money out of unless you are BA. Lufthansa has tried almost every German market at eon point or another and all were dropped, even MUC, leaving only LCY-FRA. Even BA CityFlyer dropped ARN and CPH from LCY after SAS left.

SAS flew initially to CPH using the Dash8-400 and then launched ARN using a leased RJ70 and followed with Oslo. Once they had the Dash 8 problems they dropped that route and then the others followed.

BA then launched CPH using the E170, then ARN. CPH was then dropped while ARN was actually increased just shortly before being dropped. At the end it was being operated three times daily so there must be some demand for the service. At the moment SAS doesn't have any LCY capable planes but they already have Cityjet operating the CRJ900s so no reason Cityjet couldn't operate other flights for them. As I fly LHR-ARN every Friday I'd love a LCY service.

Malmo Aviation (now BRA) had also put into launch LCY services and were listed as launching a service to an unnamed destination (almost certainly BMA) from last summer but it never happened. Perhaps with certification of the C Series we could see a BMA-LCY route from BRA.

slinky09

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:55 pm

727200 wrote:
That's an incredible amount to pay for just 2 slots, but I guess its the price to play. On a different note, doesn't United have slots that AC and Virgin are using to LHR?

Not VS any longer - I think they went back to UA when the second HKG flight was dropped. VS does have one or more slot pairs from DL in play I believe.

1900Driver

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:00 pm

ZuluTime wrote:

CZ603 CAN LHR 0055 0635

Those came from Air Canada which has reduced YVR-LHR. AC has re-jigged its LHR slot portfolio to release these slots for CZ, don't know whether it is a sale or a lease.

Most probably leased out.

TFFIP

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 pm

I know slots at LHR are expensive and hard to come by and I wonder why British Airways has added so many
holiday destinations to their LHR plan rather than those destinations being served by LGW and use the
LHR ones for things that will generate more money than Kalamta and places like that? (Info I get from the
air crew so sometimes it's gossip but mostly what one hears pans out on way or another)

avek00

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Once Brexit is finalized and UK carriers can no longer fly within the EU, the Brits will retaliate by kicking EU carriers out of LHR, and SK will look plenty smart for getting good money while the getting was good. ;)
Live life to the fullest.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:42 pm

avek00 wrote:
Once Brexit is finalized and UK carriers can no longer fly within the EU, the Brits will retaliate by kicking EU carriers out of LHR, and SK will look plenty smart for getting good money while the getting was good. ;)

That remains to be seen. If no agreements are being made that will become the case, but I think they will make some kind of agreement. They'd be foolish not to.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:44 pm

flyby519 wrote:
How about Hawaiian? The article said that SAS can use the slots up to 3yrs from now, so that could coincide with HA delivery of the A338 which would have legs to do HNL-LHR (and HA CEO has said he'd like to add London to their route map)

ATW online article here:

http://m.atwonline.com/airports-routes/ ... -slot-sale

I don't think so. Hawaii is a leisure destination and is therefor much better served from Gatwick. Slots at Gatwick are far cheaper and easier to get than slots at Heathrow.

incitatus

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

UK is in a much weaker position to negotiate Brexit because UK's GDP is USD 3 trillion and EU's GDP without the UK is USD 14 trillion. Any negative financial impact of Brexit will be much more significant for the UK. UK's financial industry will take a hit from Brexit, then UK will take a hit from Scotland independence. Of course premium traffic at LHR will be impacted and slots will be less valuable.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

cokepopper

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I guess Delta isn't ready to make an official Announcement yet......

airbazar

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 pm

TFFIP wrote:
I know slots at LHR are expensive and hard to come by and I wonder why British Airways has added so many
holiday destinations to their LHR plan rather than those destinations being served by LGW and use the
LHR ones for things that will generate more money than Kalamta and places like that? (Info I get from the
air crew so sometimes it's gossip but mostly what one hears pans out on way or another)

It all depends on the time of day and day of the week but LGW slots aren't free either.
One reason is that these routes to holiday destinations are operated only 2x weekly or so. Probably on days when other flights are not operating and so they have equipment downtime and slot availability. Since LHR has a use it or lose it policy, it's best to operate the flight even if it is to a holiday destination, rather than lose the slot.

jbs2886

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

cokepopper wrote:
I guess Delta isn't ready to make an official Announcement yet......

Speculation or do you have information?

LondonCity

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 pm

727200 wrote:

The record price was US$75. That's what Kenya Airways received when it sold its one and only LHR slot to Oman Air. The price is high because the slot is for an early morning arrival time.

Kenya Airways no longer has a slot under its own name at LHR. It leases its slot from KLM.

jfk777

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 pm

prebennorholm wrote:

People are still going to travel to London EU or Not. LHR will always be an important destination for all the name brand European airlines. Until the third runway gets built at Heathrow slots will be valued at these silicon valley type valuations. IF Emirates, Qatar and Etihad go out of business and lots of slots come up for sale suddenly that would depress values but such a depreciation scenario is hard to fathom.

11725Flyer

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Block wrote:

Not really. They were willing to shell out a huge amount of money on VX, so perhaps this is is just a recalculation to move forward east, not west. We'll see.

TheLion

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 am

Mods please could you amend the title - "of" is the wrong word.

Thanks.

qf789

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:33 am

TheLion wrote:
Mods please could you amend the title - "of" is the wrong word.

Thanks.

Thanks for this, is now fixed
Forum Moderator

n729pa

Re: SAS Sells two slots at LHR

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

One point in the SAS article I don't think anyone has picked up on.....in particular in relation to SAS cutting back

“Even after the transaction, SAS will continue to offer a strong and comprehensive network between Scandinavia and London Heathrow. The intention is to maintain the seat capacity to/from London Heathrow through the use of larger aircraft on remaining departures,” SAS said

So I think we will see more of this kind of thing in the future perhaps, and in the past week or so BA have added daily 777s to MAD in addition to their 767s

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 am

Question, does LGW operate a "use it or loose it" policy?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ilari

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:36 am

Varsity1 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Block wrote:

Are you serious?? US Carriers are awash in cash. If anyone can afford it right now it's a US carrier.

Makesme also think if Trump would "reward" a US carrier and help them out to get the slots, being buddies with brexit-UK.

Andy33

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:08 am

ilari wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Makesme also think if Trump would "reward" a US carrier and help them out to get the slots, being buddies with brexit-UK.

It isn't a UK government department that allocates slots. They actually "belong" to airlines and often appear as assets on their balance sheets. The slot coordination body isn't part of government or appointed by it.
It would require primary legislation (which could only be implemented after Brexit is completed - just under 2 years away) to change this.
Trump might use US government money to buy slots on behalf of US airlines. I leave it to US a-net members to advise on whether that is (a) a legal use of government money or would be subject to challenge from airlines who didn't benefit, and (b) requires to go through Congress as part of the budget procedures and if so would pass.

Cunard
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:19 am

n729pa wrote:
One point in the SAS article I don't think anyone has picked up on.....in particular in relation to SAS cutting back

“Even after the transaction, SAS will continue to offer a strong and comprehensive network between Scandinavia and London Heathrow. The intention is to maintain the seat capacity to/from London Heathrow through the use of larger aircraft on remaining departures,” SAS said

So I think we will see more of this kind of thing in the future perhaps, and in the past week or so BA have added daily 777s to MAD in addition to their 767s

The use of 777s by BA from LHR to MAD isn't a new thing, they have been using them on the route for about year now along with the daily 767 (as well as Airbus aircraft), the use of wide bodies has a lot to do with cargo positioning between the two Oneworld hubs of LHR and MAD in the same way as IB use A330s on one its daily afternoon flights.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

skipness1E

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

The regular scheduled use of BA 777s to MAD only started this week, anything prior to that was a non scheduled sub. Honestly, it's a big thing over on flyertalk :) they started with the B77W, then four class B77E and three class B77E later.

Cunard
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

Skip

I should have been clearer, sure it only started this week with a scheduled 777 but in the past year their have been several non scheduled subbed flights on LHR to MAD operated by 777s so in fairness it's not as if BA haven't already used them on the route that was more or less what I was trying to put across.

slinky09

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am

TFFIP wrote:

A lot of those routes are weekly or so - planned to use planes and slots at weekends when the need for multiple daily frequencies to some European cities is less than during working days. Smart move by BA when it sometimes otherwise rests the planes and slots.

jumbojet

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

Varsity1 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Block wrote:

But not for JetBlue flying one narrow body a day into LHR. That kind of cash for so little capacity is senseless. AA and a 77W makes more sense. Won't be B6

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos