Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Freeway Fire Collapses in ATL - Airport Fire Department Responds

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Two fire units from ATL Airport responded to a very bad freeway fire that collapsed an overpass about 15 miles north of ATL. I would think that would reduce capacity of ATL - or maybe even close it.

How many of these huge "Fire Engines" do they have and what is the minimum number needed?

I have never heard of an Airport Fire Department leaving a major airport to fight a non-airport fire.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

BravoEchoNov

Re: Freeway Fire Collapses in ATL - Airport Fire Department Responds

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 am

ATL has at least three fire stations on the airfield. One at North Cargo, one at South Cargo, and one at concourse T. Two firetrucks leaving the airport won't cause any problem for airport operations. It is rather interesting to see the trucks on the interstate.
Several photos I posted about this on my Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TheAviationBeat/sta ... 9444739072

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:09 am

"Outside their natural habitat" - hilarious commentary. Love it.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

andydtwnwa7

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:11 am

Coincidentally, a similar event happened at today at DTW. A news alert popped up on my phone about a garbage truck that had caught fire on a freeway interchange in metro Detroit (happens to be located right by the airport). I opened up the article, and a picture clearly shows an ARFF Crash Truck on scene.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... e_clo.html

Okie

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:05 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
I have never heard of an Airport Fire Department leaving a major airport to fight a non-airport fire.

We have had the AFD respond to fuel fires, usually tanker trucks or other hydrocarbon sources, in the OKC metro before but that is a extremely rare occurrence.

Pretty spectacular fire. It seems they were storing PVC boring pipe under the expressway/interstate for future construction use.
Never heard of spontaneous combustion though. There is no indication as to what the original cause of the fire.

SuseJ772 wrote:
"Outside their natural habitat" - hilarious commentary. Love it.

They have to get out and about once in a while otherwise they get too much inbreeding. :rotfl:

Okie

litz

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 am

The material burning (wire coils, tubing coils, big wood spools ... and who knows what else) was perfectly suited for the airport apparatus ... specifically, they wanted it for it's very high capacity foaming system, which they used to smother the fire.

Access was very difficult, and the collapse actually helped them, because it opened an avenue to get the foam directly onto the fire surrounding the pancaked bridge deck.

Those AFD units don't fool around ... when they turn that spigot on, prodigious amounts of material comes out.

The material UNDER the pancaked bridge deck, per the fire dept, is still burning, but is contained, and they will have to let it burn out.

RDUDDJI

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 am

I suspect Atlanta like most major cities have some sort of agreement with surrounding departments to backfill their capacity in case of a major fire like this. Heck ATL (the airport) is larger than many U.S. Cities at any given time... Surely they have a few spare resources that can be called on I.C.E.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

pit1000

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 am

Just last week, PIT airport fire assisted with a residential structure fire in Moon Twp as they have done on at least one other occasion. In these cases they brought their regular fire equipment, not the crash trucks.

Spacepope

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
I suspect Atlanta like most major cities have some sort of agreement with surrounding departments to backfill their capacity in case of a major fire like this. Heck ATL (the airport) is larger than many U.S. Cities at any given time... Surely they have a few spare resources that can be called on I.C.E.

Around here the term is "mutual aid ". Even in our small town, neighboring cities roll trucks to cover if all ours are tied up.
The last of the famous international playboys

chrisair

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm

litz wrote:
Those AFD units don't fool around ... when they turn that spigot on, prodigious amounts of material comes out.

That is a great word to describe the enormous amount of foam coming from that spigot.

tp1040

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm

At work in the wild.

djxxa

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm

tp1040 wrote:
At work in the wild.

Aww cute

aviationbuff08

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
Two fire units from ATL Airport responded to a very bad freeway fire that collapsed an overpass about 15 miles north of ATL. I would think that would reduce capacity of ATL - or maybe even close it.

How many of these huge "Fire Engines" do they have and what is the minimum number needed?

My understanding is the ATL airport fire department is actually Atlanta Fire Rescue personnel. They just are operated as their own Battalion independent of the rest of the city most of the time. There are 10 of the AFRR trucks among the five fire stations that are located around the airport property. So yesterday having 2 of 10 providing assistance to the city of ATL still left the ATL airport fire department with 8 AFRR trucks plus all the other fire apparatus that is stationed there. Also a total of four firefighters left the airport as those vehicles are a two personnel operation.

Dalmd88

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm

aviationbuff08 wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

My understanding is the ATL airport fire department is actually Atlanta Fire Rescue personnel. They just are operated as their own Battalion independent of the rest of the city most of the time. There are 10 of the AFRR trucks among the five fire stations that are located around the airport property. So yesterday having 2 of 10 providing assistance to the city of ATL still left the ATL airport fire department with 8 AFRR trucks plus all the other fire apparatus that is stationed there. Also a total of four firefighters left the airport as those vehicles are a two personnel operation.

True on top of the ATL Battalion at the airport I've seen College Park and Clayton County fire units assisting at the airport. Two trucks leaving the airport was not a problem. I was amazed how quickly they got there considering the gridlock traffic on any routing they would take. That gridlock is on a good, incident free Friday afternoon commute. I can't imagine what the downtown connector was like last night.

blockski

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Last year, there was a transformer fire in Arlington, VA - and the local fire department requested help from the MWAA fire department. I believe they ended up sending a truck from both IAD and DCA:

https://twitter.com/ACFDPIO/status/745249818126258176

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos