Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mexicana757
Topic Author

Volaris to open LAX-OAX and GDL-SBD

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:02 am

No April fools, Volaris will start flying to San Bernardino from GDL on June 29, 2017 flights will operate 2x weekly on Mondays and Thursdays. Flights are available for booking on the Y4 website.

Y4 874 GDL 3:41pm- 5:00pm SBD
Y4 875 SBD 6:15pm- 11:25pm GDL

Oaxaca(OAX) will be the tenth destination Volaris will offer from LAX. Flights start June 28, 2017 and will operate 2x weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Y4 662 OAX 10:12am- 12:30pm LAX
Y4 663 LAX 1:50pm- 8:10pm OAX

717atOGG

Re: Volaris to open LAX-OAX and GDL-SBD

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 am

Hmm. That's odd to fly to SBD. Obviously, there's demand, but it's the question of how much demand there is. Also, they'd be the only airline there, which is odd again.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

PlanesNTrains

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 am

Indeed, ONT and SBD seems a bit like overkill, though obviously they aren't right on top of each other.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

many321

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 am

I live nearby SBD, and drive by it to see some of the parked planes. I never thought the terminal would see any service since ONT is nearby. I'm surprised that Y4 added a flight to Guadalajara since Y4 services ONT with a Guadalajara route. It would have been better if they opened with a MEX - SBD since ONT lost its MEX - ONT flight a few years back from AMX. Wish Y4 and SBD the best of luck with this venture.

WN732

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:14 am

many321 wrote:
I live nearby SBD, and drive by it to see some of the parked planes. I never thought the terminal would see any service since ONT is nearby. I'm surprised that Y4 added a flight to Guadalajara since Y4 services ONT with a Guadalajara route. It would have been better if they opened with a MEX - SBD since ONT lost its MEX - ONT flight a few years back from AMX. Wish Y4 and SBD the best of luck with this venture.

That is true. But, there's airports like FAT for example that have back to back Y4 and AM flights to GDL on a daily basis. Hopefully this works though. SBD has been barren for years!

Newark727

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:46 am

SBD does have customs facilities, but this is still pretty surprising to hear. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Mexicana757
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 am

Newark727 wrote:
SBD does have customs facilities, but this is still pretty surprising to hear. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Looking at the airport website and it says they do have customs facilities.
http://www.sbdairport.com/why-sbd/international-travel/

FATFlyer

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Volaris has been looking at smaller airports like SBD for some reason recently. They are also talking to SCK, which is the reason Stockton is still working on approval for a FIS even though Volaris is already at SMF only 60 miles north.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

TransGlobalGold

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 pm

When was the last time SBD had scheduled service by a large carrier? Hughes Airwest?

Newark727

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:15 am

TransGlobalGold wrote:
When was the last time SBD had scheduled service by a large carrier? Hughes Airwest?

I'm not sure it ever has. When Hughes Airwest was around it was still an air force base.

flyfresno

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 am

WN732 wrote:
many321 wrote:

That is true. But, there's airports like FAT for example that have back to back Y4 and AM flights to GDL on a daily basis. Hopefully this works though. SBD has been barren for years!

Can you explain how FAT is comparable to SBD in this scenario?

mugler

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13 am

So they fly from LAX to: Mexico City, Guadalajara, Durango, Morelia, Leon/Bajio, Aguascalientes, Uruapan, Zacatecas and soon Oaxaca. Can someone post the frequencies flown to each route? Surprised they havent added Cancun given their mini hub over there. Could a Monterrey - LAX flight work as well?

enilria

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 am

They may have facilities, but how do they get CBP staff? I thought demand from Mexico to the USA is supposedly in free fall and they add an oddball like that???

[email protected]

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:32 pm

mugler wrote:
So they fly from LAX to: Mexico City, Guadalajara, Durango, Morelia, Leon/Bajio, Aguascalientes, Uruapan, Zacatecas and soon Oaxaca. Can someone post the frequencies flown to each route? Surprised they havent added Cancun given their mini hub over there. Could a Monterrey - LAX flight work as well?

Regarding frequencies, search Google and type "Flights MEX LAX" etc.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Delta757MD88

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Im assuming they are both with A319s???

nadavatar64

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Did not see SBD coming! Funny that the airport's first scheduled flight is an international one, Thought PHX will come first.

many321

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm

nadavatar64 wrote:
Did not see SBD coming! Funny that the airport's first scheduled flight is an international one .

Exactly. At least the airport will try to live up to its International label.

Mexicana757
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:20 pm

mugler wrote:

Add Queretaro to the LAX list of destinations. QRO starts next month.

FX1816

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Seems like overkill for Volaris since they and AMX already fly to GDL from ONT.

TransGlobalGold

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Newark727 wrote:
TransGlobalGold wrote:

I'm not sure it ever has. When Hughes Airwest was around it was still an air force base.

For some reason I thought they did, but not Hughes, just Airwest. I looked in an old OAG and it indicates both Golden West and LA Airways flew to Colton, marketed as Colton/San Bernardino.

flyfresno

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Volaris has been looking at smaller airports like SBD for some reason recently. They are also talking to SCK, which is the reason Stockton is still working on approval for a FIS even though Volaris is already at SMF only 60 miles north.

SCK is significantly cheaper than SMF to operate to. If they get facilities and approval, and the route is successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see Y4 eventually move all their flights from SMF to SCK.

Aeolus

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Mexicana757 wrote:
No April fools, Volaris will start flying to San Bernardino from GDL on June 29, 2017 flights will operate 2x weekly on Mondays and Thursdays. Flights are available for booking on the Y4 website.

Y4 874 GDL 3:41pm- 5:00pm SBD
Y4 875 SBD 6:15pm- 11:25pm GDL

Oaxaca(OAX) will be the tenth destination Volaris will offer from LAX. Flights start June 28, 2017 and will operate 2x weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Y4 662 OAX 10:12am- 12:30pm LAX
Y4 663 LAX 1:50pm- 8:10pm OAX

Wow, that's quite a flight! Where do you get the info from?
Fantastic news. Y4 Really is the Mexican airline with the most presence in the US.. it's unbelievable the flights they operate!!

Aeolus
Flying under the clouds above!

deltairlines

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Aeolus wrote:
Y4 Really is the Mexican airline with the most presence in the US.. it's unbelievable the flights they operate!!

No, they are not. In July, they will offer 280 weekly flights between the US and Mexico (~40/day, varies between 36-44 depending on the day of week). AM will offer 333 weekly flights between the US and Mexico (~47.5/day, between 45-50 depending on the day of week).

Y4 does have significantly more O&Ds, due to the large amount of less-than-daily frequencies they have.

aaway

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:35 pm

TransGlobalGold wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
TransGlobalGold wrote:

For some reason I thought they did, but not Hughes, just Airwest. I looked in an old OAG and it indicates both Golden West and LA Airways flew to Colton, marketed as Colton/San Bernardino.

You may have been thinking of Riverside (RAL), from which Airwest operated for a couple of years after the merger.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Aeolus

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm

deltairlines wrote:
Aeolus wrote:
Y4 Really is the Mexican airline with the most presence in the US.. it's unbelievable the flights they operate!!

No, they are not. In July, they will offer 280 weekly flights between the US and Mexico (~40/day, varies between 36-44 depending on the day of week). AM will offer 333 weekly flights between the US and Mexico (~47.5/day, between 45-50 depending on the day of week).

Y4 does have significantly more O&Ds, due to the large amount of less-than-daily frequencies they have.

I meant it in number of US-MEX destinations served. Should've said it that way.

Aeolus
Flying under the clouds above!

many321

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm

flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

SCK is significantly cheaper than SMF to operate to. If they get facilities and approval, and the route is successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see Y4 eventually move all their flights from SMF to SCK.

Let's see if this occurs in SBD.

SurfandSnow

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I suppose SBD wasn't entirely unexpected...

http://www.pe.com/articles/san-816794-a ... rdino.html

However, I figured Y4's next Californian market would be something like BFL or SNA. It's not like ONT is a difficult airport to access (if you have a car or smartphone that can order Uber) or navigate as a traveler. I absolutely understand the widespread desire to avoid LAX if/when possible, but I can't imagine there are many advantages of SBD over ONT. What's next, PMD?!?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

ua900

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:32 pm

flyfresno wrote:
WN732 wrote:
many321 wrote:

Can you explain how FAT is comparable to SBD in this scenario?

The point there is that California airports, including smaller ones, are a hotbed of activity for Mexican discount carriers. The deregulation that we saw in the summer of last year clearly continues to generate net new economic activity for the airlines, something both countries benefit from in terms of jobs and tax revenue. It's likely here to stay, even at the smaller airports that have struggled for years to retain a couple US 3 mainline or even express flights, let alone international services to Mexico. It's a big success story for both countries.

enilria wrote:
They may have facilities, but how do they get CBP staff? I thought demand from Mexico to the USA is supposedly in free fall and they add an oddball like that???

There's a huge disconnect between the scaremongering on the part of some groups on how the border will be closed vs. reality. Alta California and Baja California, Texas and Chihuahua, every tech hub in the US and GDL, they all have close ties and many of these will continue regardless of the negotiating process that's ahead of us. That's even more true for GDL as the largest tech hub in Mexico and one of the largest in LatAm, where fewer physical goods cross the border when compared to the outsourcing of IT services. Add a 20% border tax tomorrow, very little impact on GDL. US Banks, M&E and other US industries will continue to have a significant near shore presence there.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

flyfresno

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm

many321 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Let's see if this occurs in SBD.

Barring incorrect information, from what I can tell, SCK has PFCs that are about $10 per pax less than SMF. I have no idea what SBD's PFCs are, but they would have to be the lowest in the nation to approach that level of contrast.

flyfresno

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:55 pm

ua900 wrote:
The point there is that California airports, including smaller ones, are a hotbed of activity for Mexican discount carriers. The deregulation that we saw in the summer of last year clearly continues to generate net new economic activity for the airlines, something both countries benefit from in terms of jobs and tax revenue. It's likely here to stay, even at the smaller airports that have struggled for years to retain a couple US 3 mainline or even express flights, let alone international services to Mexico. It's a big success story for both countries.

Fresno had more than 1.5 million pax last year, I would hardly call that "struggling." It also had service to Mexico long before the new rules.

nadavatar64

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
I suppose SBD wasn't entirely unexpected...

http://www.pe.com/articles/san-816794-a ... rdino.html

However, I figured Y4's next Californian market would be something like BFL or SNA. It's not like ONT is a difficult airport to access (if you have a car or smartphone that can order Uber) or navigate as a traveler. I absolutely understand the widespread desire to avoid LAX if/when possible, but I can't imagine there are many advantages of SBD over ONT. What's next, PMD?!?

I also think BFL could be a great choice, its pretty underserved.

ua900

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 pm

flyfresno wrote:
ua900 wrote:

Fresno had more than 1.5 million pax last year, I would hardly call that "struggling." It also had service to Mexico long before the new rules.

Pardon my ignorance. Last time I flew into FAT a couple years ago it was onboard a UAX CR2, something they still seem to do. Certainly better than when I flew into VIS on OO E120s back around ten years ago, but for a city of 500,000 that doesn't sit close to SFO or LAX (unless you consider the 3 hour schlep down the 99 / I-5 close) it's still less traffic than it could be, especially in the premium segment. FAT reminds me more of GEG, a regional center where many people struggle to make ends meet, with consequential demand for flights being more for Allegiant type product to LAS or at best a connecting flight to SFO/LAX than transcons / midcons a la SNA or SBA. It's really the lack of premium demand that's holding back smaller towns like FAT. For a city with that size and that economic setup, it's done about all it can.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

flyfresno

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:37 pm

ua900 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ua900 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance. Last time I flew into FAT a couple years ago it was onboard a UAX CR2, something they still seem to do. Certainly better than when I flew into VIS on OO E120s back around ten years ago, but for a city of 500,000 that doesn't sit close to SFO or LAX (unless you consider the 3 hour schlep down the 99 / I-5 close) it's still less traffic than it could be, especially in the premium segment. FAT reminds me more of GEG, a regional center where many people struggle to make ends meet, with consequential demand for flights being more for Allegiant type product to LAS or at best a connecting flight to SFO/LAX than transcons / midcons a la SNA or SBA. It's really the lack of premium demand that's holding back smaller towns like FAT. For a city with that size and that economic setup, it's done about all it can.

FAT has more "midcon" service than SBA, and more seats leaving CA than staying inside it, even if you take away GDL.
SMF also has service to SFO and LAX on CR2s, would you say they are struggling as well?
I think people in GEG would not call their airport or city "struggling."
Non-stop from FAT: LAX SFO SAN PDX SEA LAS PHX (both airports) SLC DEN DFW GDL
Of all those cities, only 8-10 flights in total are to SFO or LAX.
Service could be better, but it will never be SFO (short of the doomsday scenario where the ice caps melt and every other large city in CA ends up under water), which means you might never be satisfied with it...

ua900

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 am

flyfresno wrote:
ua900 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

FAT has more "midcon" service than SBA, and more seats leaving CA than staying inside it, even if you take away GDL.
SMF also has service to SFO and LAX on CR2s, would you say they are struggling as well?
I think people in GEG would not call their airport or city "struggling."
Non-stop from FAT: LAX SFO SAN PDX SEA LAS PHX (both airports) SLC DEN DFW GDL
Of all those cities, only 8-10 flights in total are to SFO or LAX.
Service could be better, but it will never be SFO (short of the doomsday scenario where the ice caps melt and every other large city in CA ends up under water), which means you might never be satisfied with it...

Funny how a conversation about Mexican secondary cities ends up becoming about American secondary cities. Look, let's be clear. For a market it's size, FAT has probably done as well as it can, which can't be said for many of FATs neighbors. Yes, it managed to beat out VIS, SCK and BFL, so now it's on par with the big city of SMF or say GEG. My last experience flying in and out of FAT aboard OO CR2 was terrible, I much preferred E120s back in the day, understanding at the same time that 737s to LAX or SFO just aren't feasible for UA.

When I compare it to Mexico service at LAX around 1am, I don't see the FAT-Mexico demand, that's all. Doesn't mean that AA can't do as well at FAT with DFW as CO did at BFL to IAH years ago. As someone who likes planes, I'm glad every time I see one, even in FAT. Nice new little terminal, better that what you guys had 15 years ago, still the same old funny airport code, still the same growth constraints as back then. River Park is nice, the Japanese garden is nice, Forestiere is nice, Save Mart Center is nice. You guys are doing alright and are probably always trying hard to attract new and better service to your area. Best of luck!

Wingtips56

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:22 am

Back to topic:
Is it financially feasible to open the SBD unused terminal for a couple of hours twice weekly? I suppose Y4 airline staff/handling staff can shuttle over from ONT if any ONT arrivals/departures don't occur within the same time frame. (Duplicating staff above and below wing would seem uneconomical.)
But what of TSA, law enforcement, enhanced crash/rescue, U.S. Customs & Immigration, parking toll takers, and whatever else?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

jnev3289

Wed May 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Back to topic:
Is it financially feasible to open the SBD unused terminal for a couple of hours twice weekly? I suppose Y4 airline staff/handling staff can shuttle over from ONT if any ONT arrivals/departures don't occur within the same time frame. (Duplicating staff above and below wing would seem uneconomical.)
But what of TSA, law enforcement, enhanced crash/rescue, U.S. Customs & Immigration, parking toll takers, and whatever else?

Bringing this thread back from the dead, and curious to hear people's opinions on this specific question. Also curious if there will be food/drink vendors or stores open in the airport while these flights are happening.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Well it turned out to be largely April fools.

Despite airport assurances to Volaris, SBD never received approval from CBP for the flights nor staffing to work them. In mid May CBP informed airport it would not staff FIS facility at the airport.

SBD now hopes to have CBP in place by Christmas, but with nationwide CBP staffing shortage, opening and staffing new facility is likely not a high priority.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

many321

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Well it turned out to be largely April fools.

Despite airport assurances to Volaris, SBD never received approval from CBP for the flights nor staffing to work them. In mid May CBP informed airport it would not staff FIS facility at the airport.

SBD now hopes to have CBP in place by Christmas, but with nationwide CBP staffing shortage, opening and staffing new facility is likely not a high priority.

I noticed almost a month ago on Volaris's website, they took down their SBD purchase option. Perhaps its for better since ONT is nearby.

intotheair

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Always seemed odd to me, especially considering that SBD-ONT drive time is about 25-30 minutes in light traffic. Before anyone quotes me saying otherwise, obviously traffic can be worse, but there's no denying the catchment areas between the two overlap too much.

It would probably be best if Y4 were to add frequency to ONT and call it a day.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

many321

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm

intotheair wrote:
Always seemed odd to me, especially considering that SBD-ONT drive time is about 25-30 minutes in light traffic. Before anyone quotes me saying otherwise, obviously traffic can be worse, but there's no denying the catchment areas between the two overlap too much.

It would probably be best if Y4 were to add frequency to ONT and call it a day.

I think their doing well since they open a ONT-BJX flights, so it would be for the best if they just added another frequency to GDL.

jnev3289

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Damn, really wanted to see service at SBD :(

LAXintl

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Its basically SBD with egg on its face.

They have tried so hard to woo commercial carrier passenger operations and unfortunately they made a commitment to Volaris before knowing if they could gain the CBP staffing coverage.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos